The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well the end of an interesting day me thinks ........ but I'm sure it'll be alright on the night as the saying goes ...... The one question I would like to ask is will we have enough money to rebuild Hadains Wall if the Scottish do go for independence just to keep the Scottish politic's out if nothing else...............!!!!

Perhaps the Scots will rebuild it for you, accepting in payment the return of those parts of Cumberland and Northumbria north of the Wall ?

• Like 1

I am assuming that you mean 40s of work. I managed to avoid doing as many as that. Plenty of people got made redundant and never got the chance to do 40 years of work.

Don

So far I have 12 years under my belt, although my company is Italian....

• RMweb Premium

Prom night parking was actually quite easy despite my initial misgivings about tonight's guests.

One apprentice cockwomble in a Jag and yet another Audi reached full cockwomble status to affirm their position at the top of the leaderboard. One per night so far.

It arrived about 30 minutes late after everyone had gone in to eat and my apprentice car park marshalls had finished. So he lacked directional awareness.

I heard him roaring up and down the drive, wondering where to drop off their little darlings precious cargo.

In the meantime, a new addition to the Deadman's Lane fleet was acquired for a good deal (Thanks Neil!). There may be ordering of an Express Models lighting kit for it later.

Have a good weekend folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

I am aware that some time back in this thread we were asked to forget the politics and get back to not talking about trains.

Couldnt we just be Englitzerland? They get on with everyone, dont attack Muslim countries or any countries actually, have good chocolate, got one of those hadron thingies that do that colliding thing (none of our present trading partners have one), they have several languages (so we can still learn languages at school) and have jolly scenic railways often going round in nice circular patterns. Plus, their houses look nice in chocolate box photos. Also they dont have antagonistic women leaders who want to dominate things.

edited

I got my halon 1211's mixed up with those colliding hadron thingies

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 4

Off to Switzerland tomorrow, to meet Flavio! Will report back!! They share the hadron thingy with France!!! I'm taking Margaret MacMillan's book on the origins of WW1, seems suitable reading material.

By the by, the rubber boats were a complete invention, but stranger things have happened at sea.

Bill

ps - just thought, havn't heard a peep from Gideon.

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Grandkids entertained, fed, wound up and then returned home. After that we had a quick trip to the Trafford Centre to pick up some bits and bobs. Bumped into one of our 2nd year apprentices with her boyfriend so I stopped and had a quick chat.

After we returned home, it was feet up and a bottle of wine, and there'll be no more alcohol until next weekend for me, as I've got to have at least 3 days without booze for my blood test boooo!

It's p155ing down, its forecast for the same all weekend so no gardening, I'm sure I'll find something to do ;-)

Goodnight all.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

Perhaps the Scots will rebuild it for you, accepting in payment the return of those parts of Cumberland and Northumbria north of the Wall ?

Or ask Donald Trump while he's there - he seems to be good talking about walls on southern borders.

• RMweb Premium

They've been gradually going for years, my luvver!

Although when I first started working down in Cornwall, lots of the locals seemed to be opting for membership of the Confederated States of America, judging by the number of Confederate flag stickers on the Mark 3 Cortinas at the time.

You might also recall that the Newlyn fishing fleet, to a man and a boat, flew the Canadian flag for some time in defiance of British and international maritime law and in support of that nation's fishing policies compared with the EU version.  You can find Canadian flags stuck on windows, cars and even boat wheelhouses around the village to this day.  Hull was mentioned in the context of fish landed some pages back.  Newlyn now claims itself as the largest port by volume landed outside Scotland; they would never claim to be an "English" port.

The farther west one goes in Cornwall the stronger is the sense of nationhood and independence from anyone else.  The English took several hundred years to find their way down to Lands End and were disappointed when they got there to find it was already a huge theme park ;)  The last native speaker, or possibly speaker only of, of Cornish (not, as is often misquoted, the last speaker of Cornish) died in 1777 and is buried in the village of St. Pol de Leon (Paul, in English) above Mousehole.  Cornish is spoken by perhaps 5000 people with a degree of fluency and conversationally at home by maybe half that number.   St Just, on the north coast over the moors from Penzance, has one of the largest Cornish-speaking communities today.  There are significant numbers of Cornish speakers around Camborne, Redruth and Bodmin as well.

Morning all.  Despite prophecies of doom and gloom the sun has still risen.  The Pound is worth 95p of yesterday's value but shows signs of climbing back a bit further.  The knee-jerk is pretty much over.  Most of us have managed breakfast and humanitarian aid has continued for some of those who can't.  Refugees continue to seek legitimate refuge in the safety of Great Britain.   Life goes on.  

Saturday.  It's cold and wet here.  Supermarket run beckons.  I need a good run of dry days to attend to a couple of maintenance jobs on the roof and the layout.  No sign of that happening in the near future.  Hey ho.

• Like 14

It isn't, never was and never will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. it'll need more then some patch work to fix it, but it's the best alternative these warring tribal factions have :rolleyes:

Errrmmmm, Brussels? :O

:jester:

hat, coat, exit stage left, right aaaand centre :D

Nice reinterpretation of my post (with edit)...

However Elvis has left the building (together with the influence of “Old Etonians”, hopefully).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 6

Good morning one and all

There is sunshine and blue sky, a fitting contrast to the tempest that beset us yesterday.  I wonder what else happened in the world?  Just before I climbed out of bed I recalled a line from a song written 40 years ago [ouch] by a long lost friend named Ray Aspden: "If this is Armageddon armageddon out of here".

I feel quite refreshed after a much better night's sleep.  Later I will be heading for Didcot and its incomplete coal fired power station to attend the AGM of the Great Western Study Group [not at the power station before you ask], where democracy might be made to work as designed.  In addition to a couple of layouts there should be learned demonstrators and other kindred spirits.  In the back of the car lies a collapsible crate containing books that I hope to give others the opportunity to buy.  Knowing my luck the crate will show just how collapsible it is at an inopportune moment.

On the fodder run yesterday I noticed what might be the first result of the financial earthquake - a 1p rise in the price of petrol.  On my way to Didcot I shall pause at Bicester where it will cost less to fill the tank if my observations last Saturday be a guide.  I may also purchase the tomatoes that I forgot yesterday.  Somewhere on the road I will take a breakfast worthy of that served to the condemned man, later to be supplemented with sandwiches garnished with what is dangerously close to being the last of the mulled wine chutney.  Then this evening I note with surprise that Casualty and Musketeers are due to be shown at the times billed in the Radio Times!  It won't last, I tell you.

Bon voyage to Bill, with the hope that he and Flavio can put the world to rights in Brig.  Flavio, you have been too quiet lately and the absence of your statesmanlike observations is beginning to worry me.

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed.  I'm hoping that amid the turmoil Dave and Is are making the best of available peace and tranquillity.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Today I shall be at Abbeydale doing a bit of scoring and Duckworth Lewis Sterning as it looks like rain will be present at various times in the day.

Hope Is is comfortable Dave.

Wonder who our politicians and civil servants can blame for their own incompetence in the future?

Have a nice Saturday!

Baz

• Like 13

Good morning all.

Off to the Bluebell Railway after breakfast. It's their model railway weekend, not as extensive as the GCR event but non the less worthy of a visit. Looking forward to it.

Best wishes to everyone.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking there might be less politics today. However on R4 this morning someone said 'If the labour party cannot get its supporters to do what it wants' Rather tail wagging the dog. 

Other than that there are still lots of jobs to do. Life goes on.

Have a good weekend.

Don

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Located within the Ribble Valley - the constituency of one Nigel Evans, who backed the leave campaign.

Cheers,

Mick

And also home to a cement works IIRC that ran trains.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather cloudy piece of Charente.  Interestingly the expats that we know seem to be as divided about a certain political event as the home islands.

Anyway Supermarket shopping beckons and then there will apparently a cleaning blitz as daughter and partner arrive tomorrow.  No doubt many orders will be issued during the day.  my main task I to mend the tiles on the shower pedestal where I think some sodden chipboard that supports them has collapsed.

Some brownie points were earned yesterday as the tree has now been cleared from the path and the front garden looks tidier, also the new hob works well and looks good.

I arranged for a contractor t come on Monday and level a base for the swimming pool as well as a 40metre trench that will take electrickery to the filter.   It's going to be a lot easier than doing it by hand.  The pool is essential to my wellbeing as the deal with the boss was that if I had a shed big enough for the railway she wanted a pool.  The shed came with the house so I have to keep my side of the bargain.  The guy seemed competent and to my surprise is promising to turn up at 08.00 on Monday.

I hope that Is and Dave are enjoying their time at home.   To all the others I wish you well.

s to yesterdays market wobbles.  We had a good chat yesterday and decided to carry on with our plans and deal with the eventual consequences as the emerge.  Fortunately the majority of my pension income will not be affected, it's just the Old age part which kicks in next year for me and the year after for Beth. Whatever will be will be as they say.

I might even manage to hide in the shed for a few minutes and do some modelling.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

sodden chipboard

Oi.  No swearing in the room! :P

Though I must admit to using something akin to that term when I discovered the extent of damage to the layout.  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Not sure I get all the references in the last 24 hrs on here - all part of being out of the UK for 12 years and the cultural gap that provides. After all, I think watching BBC Breakfast News yesterday was probably the second time here in all those years? I will wait and see, just like everyone else, what the future holds for us EU expats. If I have to spend more time in the UK in future, so be it. To some extent the dream died with Deb in 2012, I suppose, although I have been surprised at how readily good times are still available. Sherry has obviously added considerable value, just as she was marvellously supportive after Deb's disabling accident in 2008.

Today I need to get horse-feed and the car needs its bi-ennial MOT, so I'll book that if he's open - MOTs are conducted by independent suppliers here.

May your weekend be relaxing and therapeutic.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Probably because if it was extended to normal elections no prospective MP would ever be elected. Hmmm sounds like a possible idea. If we had voted to go in on the same basis that would be fair. We were not told the truth when we went in. We were offered a referendum by Labour the next government but did not get all the facts. Then the choice to stay in was by 67% on a 65% turnout. Since then we have had different treaty changes but not given a say. Before UKIP came along no party offered leaving the EU as an option and the UKIP vote has been rising. So I don't believe you can claim a clear mandate from the people to be in the EU as it is. If we had been offered either a vote or a choice of party for any of the recent Treaty changes that might have given a mandate. So to my mind those who say it is unfair to leave when less than 50% actually voted to go should really be considering how unfair it is that we haven't  really given a clear vote to choose either way before and at no point have more than 50% chosen to go in in the first place.

Don

Don't disagree with you Don on the matter of electoral procedures, but the earlier 'wrong' doesn't make the later one a 'right' either, in my view.

We already know that some 'Leave' voters are now regretting their decision.

The demographics and geographical spread of voting was also very interesting (BBC information this morning). If I was a young, educated person (of course, I'm neither, really) who voted to remain, I might feed just a bit betrayed by an older generation who voted to leave. As a younger person, I would have my whole future ahead of me. Just a thought.