The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Night / Morning all.  Delete that which is not required.

Waiting to hear if my region voted in accordance with my wishes.  Early results are proving of interest with some Blue Heartlands voting Leave.  If I were the Prime Nuisance Minister I'd be ordering a change of underwear.

Father was seen at the hospital yesterday.  His condition is consistent with a blockage in the alimentary canal but none can be found.  He's been referred for an urgent CT scan.  He continues to not eat at life-sustaining levels though has remained stable over the past few days.  He is more or less unable to fend for himself and often confined to bed but does manage some time sitting in his chair.  Mum is said to be "very tired".  They have made the difficult decision to not travel to my aunt's funeral.  I'm prepared for a hasty trip back to the UK which I fear might be needed very soon.

Today is really cold here.  Uncommonly so.  Barely 5C and with a bitter wind taking the apparent temperature at almost mid-day to -1.6C  I can't remember any time in 16 years when it's felt this cold here.  At least I can stay home curled up with the cat and the heaters on full.  Snow reported on nearby high ground and for the only time in memory icy conditions are affecting a few suburban bus routes which venture up into the hills. 

TGIF.  Celebrate POETS Day if you can.  

• RMweb Premium

I caught a bit of reportage tonight. Talking about blue and orange (or was it red?) and changing colours, but no suggestion of what the colours stood for.

• RMweb Gold

Morning

I had better go get  my US dollars before going into work with Brexit looking highly likely.Mind you the pound has already dropped 3 cents since yesterday at the currency exchange place we use.

edit

Its much more of a drop on the markets!!

Edited by roundhouse

Morning all. A dry start to the day for a change which will be welcome by those of us travelling this morning.

Nearly time for my excursion to Watford and then Barking. It could be an interesting day.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning

I had better go get  my US dollars before going into work with Brexit looking highly likely.Mind you the pound has already dropped 3 cents since yesterday

The Pound has dropped 7 Aussie cents in the past few hours and seems to be in free-fall.  Not entirely unexpected.  It will find a new level and may rally once the shock waves have rippled out and calmed some.  The positive side is that it makes online shopping from outside the EU extremely attractive at least for the time being.  British businesses will benefit to that extent at least.  

I always retain some currency from one trip to the next.  I'm now sitting on a small collection of £18.75 notes ;)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I have about 80 US dollars plus a load of quarters from the last trip but we wont get by on that for very long. ALso need soem Canadian dollars

And on other news, our train is cancelled this morning. So that blows out going to the currency place as I now wont be going into LBG

Edit

Thameslink also cancelled so a bus to Coulsdon Town to catch a train!!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the Charente.  Not a very sunny one for us as various financial plans that we had for the coming years may have been knocked sideways.  I'm just glad tat I'm locked into a 2years contract for my Euros at the moment.   I better not comment further.

Meantime the boss is still asleep so the house is quiet and it's a bit grey outside.  I suspect that I will be spending the day loading tree branches into the trailer and doing various other jobs.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

We are told the actual disengagement process from Europe takes at least two years. So an awful lot of British jobs will disappear in 2018. Burnaston, Sunderland and Swindon are prime examples of communities that will suffer, as the EU puts up tariffs or quotas to protect Renault, Fiat, VW etc. from Japanese imports made in the UK.

Chris F is right.

• RMweb Premium

A sad morning from Estuary-Land. The argument that we have lost our sovereignty to the EU never seemed to ring true, so instead we hand it over to Rupert Murdoch. Up earlier than usual this morning (05:30) and couldn't get back to sleep. Not so bad except that I can't do much as I'm waiting for the meter reader to call 'sometime a.m.' but at least I'll be in for the postman.

• RMweb Gold

We don't seem to have heard a word from David Cameron. I think he has to blame himself he promised to get meaningful reforms and failed dismally. There may have been no chance of getting reforms but to get some minor tinkering and then present it as a reason to vote stay was not a good idea.

I have a lot of sympathy for those who find themselves suddenly at a financial disadvantage. Roundhouse should have bought his dollars yesterday. I wouldn't suggest selling any shares today. However part of the problem is that those who have been disadvantaged have been ignored. Families unable to get on the housing ladder seeing council homes being given to refugees. Areas of high unemployment and low wages seeing EU citizens taking jobs. The government cutting council budgets and giving them more responsibilities causes problems with social services these sort of issues have influenced people in how they voted.

Don