The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A King indeed Mike but I hope I won't end up like him as I believe he died in prison after being deposed.

Is it the model that Hornby do in blue? I think that was a really nice livery for big engines.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for the best wishes on our Anniversary.

Cricket umpired... (North of England U15s trial match) some good bowling the batting wasn't as good.

Vote cast... couldn't find a third option (send all politicians from the UK to the Moon)  :jester:

Eldest Herbert mad tea - slow cooked pork with Fennel - absolutely luvverly!

Youngest Herbert bought a card (wow!) and some flowers and a bottle of white wine .. shocked and stunned.!

If I don't get back - sleep well everyone, hope Rick has a good day off work.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

oh and Duchesses, A1, A2, A3 and A4s look good in BR Steam loco blue - teh GWR King looks better in blue than green.....hat, coat, c u later!

baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Congrats Mr &Mrs Baz - we're about 2/3 the distance of your adventure wedded bliss.....

Car parking for prom night #2 - about 200 kids/staff.

Cockwombles. Audi 1 (showing off his R8), TVR 1 (kept holding up the queue because it would overheat if left with the engine running, so only moved it about every 5 spaces...), Scania truck who tried to frighten a horse by revving his engine.

Cockwomble with distinction, so very close to ars£badger level. Aston Martin DB9. Decided not to join the queue and executed a 5 point turn holding up others, so they could deliberately be the last to be dropped off, posing with his revving engine.

We had the first of four unwanted guests - they were loitering on a nearby railway bridge between hotel and golf course. This type usually have some illicit booze that they pass on to their friends, so we to try and move them on.

I wandered over to ask what they were doing "Watching out mates at the Prom" was their reply.

"So why aren't you actually stood down there a bit closer watching it"

"We're barred" was their reply. Some kids aren't allowed by the shool to the prom for various reasons 

They were politely asked to move on, which they did for about five minutes. They started to sneak back but saw me and tried to hide. By this time, I had use of a golf buggy so as I trundled in their direction, they legged it and it was great fun just watching them disappear into the distance, eventually jumping over a fence where I knew there was a large quantity of brambles and other sharp vegetation...............

Only 100 tomorrow. We've not had this school before and it hasn't got the greatest reputation....... Keys to golf buggy at the ready!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As ERs are a fairly sensible group I wonder what the response would be to a situation my brother described. A drone has been hovering over his and neighbours houses for a few days and coming down down quite low over gardens, and close to the houses.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

As ERs are a fairly sensible group I wonder what the response would be to a situation my brother described. A drone has been hovering over his and neighbours houses for a few days and coming down down quite low over gardens, and close to the houses.

Tony

I believe Happy Hippo and Baz's knowledge of armaments and ordnance may come in useful.....................................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

As well a really heavy rain and dealing with holdups due to flooded roads, my day was spent dealing with a complete bunch of cockwombles. Just what I needed. The main job couldn't be done thanks to specification changes that had been agreed but not informed me. I've now got to drive to Watford to get the details in the morning before going to Barking. The job is now re-scheduled for next Tuesday. I might have to upgrade this client to ar**badger.

My vote has been cast and now I wait. I was asked by a pollster with English not being the first language if they could ask how I voted. Ask away I said. How did you vote? I'm not telling you as I only said that you could ask, and walked off.

Bearing in mind that there is only an in or out result once all the votes have been counted and this is predicted at about breakfast time, how can radio and TV justify devoting a whole nights worth of programs on the outcome?

Baz - Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs O

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• RMweb Premium

Winding down, The sky has cleared and the sun appeared briefly before descending behind the houses. I picked up a couple of cheap books, one for the library and one, not relevant to my modelling, to sell on after a quick look through.  The loco stud for the ww2-1948 period has been increased by one.

Happy anniversary to Baz and Mrs Baz.

Have a good evening/night.

Pete

• Like 11

Tony

Depends on the size of the drone. A 12 bore will deal with most :locomotive:  :sungum:  :jester:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Target!  Fin, drone.....loaded.... lasing... firing .. Target....

simples.. just need a Challenger 2 and one Armoured Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot (APFDS)  round, charge and Tube Vent Electrical  (TVE). Mind you the chain gun would be as effective.

Baz

• Like 8

Tony

Another drone equipped with a grappling iron?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A decent air rifle should be able to deal with a drone I reckon.  But the problem is getting an angle for a safe shot (and ideally the done so the pratt driving it won't see) and if nothing else and it's low enough lobbing a ball (cricket ball?) or stone at it might get a result.

We've not had the problem here but I reckon if one came low enough to look in the upstairs windows at the back I could easily get a safe angle on it.  And if you do manage to get it down I suspect a lump hammer might be a  useful tool for the initial dismantling before going for the useful bits like the motors.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Tony

If the drone was low enough and near enough I'd be tempted to swat it with something like my trusty pick axe handle. Not sure if you'd class that as fairly sensible though.

Actually the motors used in most of these drones are ideal for model locomotives. Capture it and then canibalise it. :jester:

• Like 11

Tony

Tony. I am worried that you expected fairly sensible answers from a fairly sensible group.

ER's sensible? Never

• Like 4

:jester: 

Tony

If it's low enough to be "almost swatable" you may want to try a simple garden hose (our better yet a pressure washer) if you have decent water pressure, they take a tumble pretty quickly, and you aren't subject to the same issues of care that is needed with many of the alternate weapons suggested :) :O  :jester:

EDIT: Oh yeah, nite you lot ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Got back from my swimming about 8:30, recorded another sub 45 minute mile, well chuffed with that, considering I was a little tired tonight. I'll probably get one more practice session in before the Great Manchester Swim next month.

Hopefully I'll get to Preston tomorrow to see what bargains are left.

Catapult and large stone!

Goodnight all

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A catapult and some stones sounds like a fun way of dealing with a Drone. Mind you you have to be careful which way you are facing it wouldn't be good if your stone went through a neighbours window. And greenhouses might be at risk. Living in a bungalow it would have to come fairly low to look in our windows which would put it in range.

Who will be first to bag one?

Don

• Like 9

My vote has been cast and now I wait. I was asked by a pollster with English not being the first language if they could ask how I voted. Ask away I said. How did you vote? I'm not telling you as I only said that you could ask, and walked off.

How did I vote - well, I presented at the polling station, obtained my ballot paper, drew a cross in the relevant square outlined thereon and stuffed the completed paper into the box provided.

Bearing in mind that there is only an in or out result once all the votes have been counted and this is predicted at about breakfast time, how can radio and TV justify devoting a whole nights worth of programs on the outcome?

Even worse, the pundits have started some 4 hours before the first result is expected. Keeps David Dimbleby out of retirement, I suppose!

And, having happened across said trivia, I'm wondering how much the stage set cost to build? Probably almost as much as his salary for the night. CAUWOM (complete and utter waste of money!)

Wishes, etc. to all

Good night

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1