The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Alan had a close shave there. Well played! 

I've just ordered a pipe clamp magnet to - supposedly - act as a descaling device. Anyone had any success with these? 

I shall report back on whether it makes any difference to observable scale, e.g. the kettle. 

Not expensive so if it's more myth than effective then not a great loss. 

• Like 1

Happy anniversary Baz and Mrs O

Thursday it is - I checked so I know I'm right :)

Yesterday saw a late afternoon cockwomble attack here in the dungeon as we discover many of the director level staff can't see the dashboards I've built for them. Simply put, some can, some can't, so it's obviously at the security/system access level, and nothing to do with what I have control over :(

Since I've NO control over the security/system access model, and the security officer is currently the cockwomble-in-chief PM (he hasn't YET bothered to train in the on-site individual who will/should be doing it - and besides he is self taught and doesn't really know sh!t about it either) who isn't here this week, we've got emails flying around suggesting I somehow investigate/fix/help fix the issue!

I WOULD if I had any access to the security tools side of the system, which have always been deemed UNNECEESARY for me to have access to - I'm considering starting a "complete arseprat of the week top 10" <sigh> but unfortunately the first 11 positions would be already filled by the f!@$!@$ing PM!

Whilst I'm on a roll - POLITICS vs. first-world-problems...

With major world breaking events that WILL affect almost everyone on some level, the BREXIT in full swing, and the US election rolling along like an accident waiting to happen,

I give you...

"...Two Starbucks customers who say the company short-changes customers by underfilling lattes may proceed with a lawsuit against the coffee giant, a federal judge said..."

Further - "...planitiffs allege that the company knowingly cheats customers out of what they paid for by serving lattes that are 25% too small..."

Apparently the planitiffs aren't capable of saying "...excuse me, can you top my coffee up a bit...", or "...sod this, I'm not coming here again...", instead resorting to the time-honored US tradition of - SUE THE BASTARDS!

From my perspective, FIRST, the plantiffs appear to have brains that are AT LEAST 25% too small, and the judge - COCKWOMBLE of the month award??

I mean, come on folks, whatever side of BREXIT you're on, or whomever you want as the next POTUS (US speak for President Of The United States), can't we all agree that these morons (I'm including the judge here) are in serious need of some psychiatric help!! Really???

OK, on to the mundane, a pleasant cloudy 22 driving in today, probably only 26 for a high and some rain possible.

May the bluebird of happiness NOT carp on your car today :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 6

Work update. Like Ian I have a top ten of cockwombles. Number one of course being elevated (or is that demoted) to the status of cockgoblin. Today the number one is the mindless jerk that needed me to peer review his code so desperately that he got the PM to have me drop everything, but didn't tell me he was away all afternoon and his code failed at the first hurdle. Douchenozzle.

In the good news category, it looks like the house next door may finally have new tenants. The bodge merchants that own the place have given up trying to rent it and have turned it over to a professional management company instead. Met the rather nice lady who will be looking after the place. All she'd say is the new tenants will be a professional couple. (I hope that doesn't mean the oldest profession)

In other good news my back order from Rapid has arrived, and over lunch I got the last couple of feet of track down and the module end soldered in place. All the droppers and tortoise motors are in place so its now a matter of playing connect the spaghetti.

• Like 17

I've done my civic duty in regard to determining the next leader of the Conservative Party.  Of course, I have no interest whatsoever in that election but there is a rather more important decision en route.

Two thoughts:

London has the most diverse population in Britain, but a majority of the "native" population have no issue whatsoever with "immigrants" and will be voting to remain.

Some three hundred years ago, the Tory party leadership was demanding the John Churchill's expeditionary force be brought back from its journey to Blenheim.  Plus ca change. (That's two French phrases, scary).

Off until late.

Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I nearly spilt my coffee as I almost read that as something else............

Cheers,

Mick

Only almost? You can do better than that, Mick! :jester:

A'noon all. Taking it slow as it's a scorcher outside on my day off. T-storms may reappear by Saturday and Sunday, but as always, we shall see...

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

You could have saved trouble in your sourcing. Brazil is by far the biggest sugar cane producer in the world

Maybe so - but it isn't in the Empire (other theatres are available I understand).

When I first starting voting there always seemed to be a police officer at the polling station.

When I first started voting we still had Coppers walking their beat  or riding bicycles - every day of the week :O

Looks like Alan had a close shave there. Well played! 

I've just ordered a pipe clamp magnet to - supposedly - act as a descaling device. Anyone had any success with these? 

I shall report back on whether it makes any difference to observable scale, e.g. the kettle. 

Not expensive so if it's more myth than effective then not a great loss. 

I don't know about that sort but the electric ones you wrap round the rising main do actually work - not as good as a water softener but definitely better than nothing

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from a sunny Charente Maritime, it's so hot (mid 30's) that even SWMBO has come in from the sun.   Life here has progressed rather well.  Yesterday we went to visit Beth's old schoolfriend and I gained some brownie points by working up a sweat in her bedroom (no sniggering at the back there) where I mended a curtain pole tat had come loose.  After a nice lunch we went for a walk.   The lady's dog, a lovely Labrador retriever, has just had the unkindest cut of all, for a dog that is, and is currently wearing a lampshade.  However he must be part Hippo because whenever we came to a nice patch of mud in the forest he went for a wallow and then tried to lick up the water with the lampshade sicking in the ruts.  Very amusing to watch and he had to be hosed down when we got home before he was allowed in the house.

As we are some distance from our polling station we voted by post some weeks ago.  Today we have taken a trailer load of rubbish to the tip, another will go Saturday morning, this afternoon I've been gaining brownie points by installing a new gas hob.  I did need to go to get a new regulator, as the old one had the wrong coupling on one end but brownie points wer earned as the new one works on all four burners instead of two, like the old one.

Off for a drinks evening with neighbours tonight, we could be some time there.

Happy Anniversary Baz and regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

You could have saved trouble in your sourcing. Brazil is by far the biggest sugar cane producer in the world

Thanks for that.

I'll bear it in mind if I run out.

I'm also aware that, in my opinion, Jamaica produces the best coffee.

I've also cut sugar cane there (for about four minutes).

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes to the Bazzes!

Just about all ready here, waiting to see what we have forgotten.  Still nice weather, we'll try to take it south with us.

Connectivity may be sketchy over the next two weeks.

• Like 7

Well I dunno, but depending on the outcome of the referendum it may be necessary to start ploughing up golf courses to grow sugar beet. I can suggest a couple north of the border that would be good candidates.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Descalers/Water softeners. There are two types of 'Hardness' in water one is known as temporary and precipitates as scale under heat. The other is permanent and is only left as scale if the water turns to steam or evaporates. The temporary is the one which tends to cause the heavy furring of a kettle. There would be some permanent left by the steam but will not be as much unless you keep letting the kettle boil dry.

The magnet and electric current types act in some way by encouraging the temporary hardness to stay in solution and not precipitate out. Whether it will also inhibit it from reacting with soap molecules to form scum I am unaware.

Both types of hardness are a problem with Steam Engines so the only answer is to remove the hardness. So most users of steam engines either use filtered rainwater or from a dehumidifier. 

A more radical solution is to move we have lovely soft water in West Somerset (well at least for the moment). When first moving here a somewhat furred kettle ( Chalky Isle of Wight previous use) cleared in a few weeks just by being used. You also get used to not using as much soap.

Don

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Congrats to Mr & Mrs O. I seem to have omitted to do so earlier.

No riots or bad behaviour at our polling station. Though Aditi and I lowered the average age of those attending a bit. I think everyone from the nearby sheltered accommodations had arrived as a mob.

Robbie had a nice paddle in the park. He had to check each new puddle, but at least it wasn't ditch water. We then walked down to the creek to see if there were any interesting birds but the tide was flowing quickly over the mud so they were fairly bird free.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Been raining steadily for at least an hour but I don't care as I have been playing with my new toy which arrived safely from Cornwall earlier. It's a beauty and runs really smoothly so for a while I am in my own happy little world.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Stopped outside Redhill on a Thameslink service awaiting for our normal train to split three ways. Normally we are held up by this Thameslink but sods law it the other way round today. About 20 late so far.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Rain and thunder back again, not unexpected. Received a parcel today from Hong Kong, ordered and paid for back in February and I was wondering when or even if I would get it. Every cloud etc. the price has increased 40% since I paid for mine, largely due to currency fluctuations. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Our vet just phoned. Robbie's parathyroid test results came back and he does have a dodgy parathyroid. This is good news as the other alternative was that he had colon or rectal cancer. He will need scans and then they will operate later. No problems are forecast as he is very fit though if the op didn't take place he would eventually have some due to calcium loss. The scan will be under anaesthetic as we all agree he isn't the kind of dog to keep still!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Been raining steadily for at least an hour but I don't care as I have been playing with my new toy which arrived safely from Cornwall earlier. It's a beauty and runs really smoothly so for a while I am in my own happy little world.

Feeling like a King then young Bob - or is it one of those diseasal things like laddo received yesterday from the same emporoium?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from red dragon land.

Happy Anniversary to Baz and Mrs Baz. 

Best wishes to all.

Wearing in my new tr***n boots I bought in a sports shop this morning which were made by the same company that made my first tennis racquet back in the '60s.  I even managed to pick up a half size so my feet don't look so ridiculously big as they do with the next full size up.

Yesterday, we enjoyed a summer afternoon (and a dairy ice cream!!) in Llanfairfechan.

post-14049-0-57278000-1466705985.jpg

On the other side of the path, down in the muddy hollow...

post-14049-0-58356300-1466705984.jpg

• Like 19