The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all

There was noise outside yesterday which turned out to be workmen grubbing up a lamp post.  Fortunately it had already been replaced with a new one and dead stylish it is too.  Unusually the new one is up against the wall of a front garden instead of being next to the kerb.  This may turn out to be good news because if I have to park near it the sensor at the back of the car will beep much less when reversing into the space.

What other cause is there for rejoicing?  Well, after wasting some time yesterday searching for a recently purchased book which had concealed itself, I have just sat on it.  Fortunately it has sustained no harm on the process.  Then there was an interval in the precipitation just long enough to gather most of the remaining strawberries.  I shall enjoy them later today as dessert to the main course of sausage casserole.

Much of the new Radio Times is a waste of paper.  The editor admits this in his apology.  Understandably he cannot predict which football matches will be televised and when because the candidate teams are, I believe, still qualifying or whatever it is that they do.  However, he did not mention the other reason.  Wimbledon starts next week, with clearly defined slots on BBC1 and BBC2.  This will not be enough because of the apparent edict that Andy Murray's matches will be shown on BBC1, displacing other programmes which, to be honest, appeal to me rather more.  Are people not capable of changing channels or must the BBC do it for them?  Drat, I've just given myself one less thing to write about next week.

Forgive me if this is a misquote: England expects that this day every man will do his duty [Horatio Nelson].

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed.

Chris 

• Like 13

I’m rather fond of Dutch Licorice. A friend of mine from Zandvoort regularly used to send me some until he had a heart attack.......his Wife was convinced that he was still buying it for himself and stashing it in his shed.

Alternatively Italian licorice is fine - but less hardcore. Their Morgon licorice gums are good.

Luckily the vote in Britain will have little effect on me one way or the other.

G’night, everyone. Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a thunderstorm it was last night. Apparently 6000 lightning strikes in and around London according to the BBC news.

We lost our Internet last night and odd things such as the main TV switching itself on and bedroom TV switching itself on!

Flooding has closed the Tonbridge to Redhill line and seriously disrupted trains to and from Vic with no Gatwick Express services and all our Vic services cancelled. I think that our LBG train is going to be rather busy this morning up at least it is shown as running

Update

No trains to Vic due to flooding at Wandsworth Common.

Amazingly we did get seats together but at Purley people can't get on and some blocking the doors so we are sitting here till people move.

Edited by roundhouse

Morning All,

For me, the referendum is over - given that I, rather perversely, don't have a vote.  All that remains to do now is to wait and see the outcome.

We have a nice sunny morning here, but it is set to get very hot later on.  The forecase has predicted as high as 32°C.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

So, today is the day. Yep her indoors has put up with me for 37 years. (I have to say that as she is watching me type this.

I like licquorice beer. It used to be brewed in Pontefract, the UK home of licquorice.

Have a good day (and evening Rick)

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I haven't voted. After all, under EU legislation I pay my taxes in France, so if I don't conrtibute to UK plc, I shouldn't have a say, either.

Sherry was in a recent organised debate with others about the Referendum. In Torbay. More than one person supporting Brexit, as most seemed to, assured her that you don't need a passport to go to France, because Britain is part of the EU.... Hence my remark about well informed. Schengen is not on their map, evidently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Thoughts with anyone trying to reach London today.  I gather it's been a mite damp overnight.  SWT, Southern, Gatwick Express, Abellio and Crossrail (Liverpool Street - Ilford locals) are unable, or only able under very limited circumstances, to run into Waterloo, Victoria and Liverpool Street respectively.  

Disenfranchised here.  I've been away from the UK for more than 15 years (it's almost 16 now) meaning I lose my absentee voting rights.  And as I'm not an Australian citizen but rather a Permanent Resident I don't get a vote here either.  

Would someone mind awfully putting an X in the relevant box for me please?  Not saying which box as we have the No Potty-licks rule ;)

Chill out.  Take a duvet day. Take a wee dram.  Take heart.  Thinking of those far away in times of need, stress or other embuggerances of life.

• Like 14

I haven't voted. After all, under EU legislation I pay my taxes in France, so if I don't conrtibute to UK plc, I shouldn't have a say, either.

Sherry was in a recent organised debate with others about the Referendum. In Torbay. More than one person supporting Brexit, as most seemed to, assured her that you don't need a passport to go to France, because Britain is part of the EU.... Hence my remark about well informed. Schengen is not on their map, evidently.

I would love to comment on this!  However, that would very definitely break the rules.

All I need to say is that sadly, a lot of people fall into the category of not being well informed.

Edited to say: I don't mean you are not well informed, Ian - However, as a British Citizen, I believe that you should have a say because this could potentially directly affect you.  However - that is definitely enough on the subject from me.

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Gold

I have already sent in my postal vote. One of the main issues is the fact I believe this country has become overcrowded and we don't need lots more people.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well the rest of 'em were up and 'quietly' crashing about so I couldn't get back to sleep so I thought I'd sit down at the 'puter as sometimes it is very good at sending me to.

Fortunately I'm feeling quite left out as we didn't have any thunderstorms last night but at least it's raining now to make up for it.  However it seems the Thames Valley has joined the modern age as trains into Reading from the Didcot direction yesterday morning were disrupted due to 'problems with the overhead wires' - the darned things don't even work yet and already they're going wrong, I'm impressed; maybe they should try dieselisation?

I see that according to one poll 17% have still not decided which way to vote which I suppose only goes to show that the political class has spent the past month or three talking a load of twaddle which nobody understood - sounds about right to me.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still raining.

I don't know what we will be doing today, apart from voting. Our pol8ng station is at a church about a 15 minute amble away. Amusingly there is a polling station for the adjacent ward in the school where we used to vote. We have to walk past it to get to our new polling place!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

morning, last minute packing then off to work!  No rain here, or boomyflashycrashes.

Today will drag at work, but I should get away early as we are on the boat at 6.45 book-in and we have to go home first to get the van!

No vote here either - we are still actually just under the 15 year rule, but I had been led to believe it was 12 years, by persons who will rename nameless but are local politicians.  No vote for crown dependencies of course, despite protocol 3 membership.

• Like 2

Morning all. It was stairrodding down in Sidcup and was no better when I eventually made it to London Bridge.

I voted on my way in to town, and was surprised at the relatively brisk trade the polling station was doing. There was a queue! (of 3 people, granted, but in our polling station at 7.15, unheard of!) One was a bearded hipster type who said he'd never voted before so was making sure he knew where to put his vote. It will interesting to learn of the percentage turnout.

Then I got to the station to learn of disastrous SE service caused by a lineside fire and flooding. Those of a nervous disposition should look away before AndrewC posts. Those who wish to learn new and useful vocab should continue to watch.

I eventually went via the Jubilee lien from Southwark where I learned of a scant tube service due to various floods and signal failures. The lack of resilience to the weather of transport infrastructure needs to be solved, but I doubt the vote will make much difference I'm afraid.

Have a good day all.

EDIT and happy anniversary to those who have been celebrating over the last few days - Grandadbob, Simon, Baz, that I have noticed and any others who I didn't notice

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. It was stairrodding down in Sidcup and was no better when I eventually made it to London Bridge.

I voted on my way in to town, and was surprised at the relatively brisk trade the polling station was doing. There was a queue! (of 3 people, granted, but in our polling station at 7.15, unheard of!) One was a bearded hipster type who said he'd never voted before so was making sure he knew where to put his vote. It will interesting to learn of the percentage turnout.

Then I got to the station to learn of disastrous SE service caused by a lineside fire and flooding. Those of a nervous disposition should look away before AndrewC posts. Those who wish to learn new and useful vocab should continue to watch.

I eventually went via the Jubilee lien from Southwark where I learned of a scant tube service due to various floods and signal failures. The lack of resilience to the weather of transport infrastructure needs to be solved, but I doubt the vote will make much difference I'm afraid.

Have a good day all.

EDIT and happy anniversary to those who have been celebrating over the last few days - Grandadbob, Simon, Baz, that I have noticed and any others who I didn't notice

Andrew C is not in London this week (offered him beer on Monday) but his other half will no doubt not enjoy the journey.

Our train was on time for once, probably because no Vic trains in the way to delay it and plenty of staff around due to not having ot work trains to Vic.

• Like 10

I will be attempting to take my Mum to my old infants school this morning. It's a long long time since she used to take me. She will no doubt retell the tale of a five year old me being heartbroken at not being able to go to school on Boating Day, because I wanted to see the boats.

I say attempting, because although it is less that quarter of a mile away at the other end of the road she lives on, neither of us are sure that we can actually walk that far. We are both pretty certain that the walk back will be much worse. My sister (the only child) was supposed to be coming to give us a lift, but it seems she had to cry off because she had a previous appointment at the manicurist. Provided the weather stays nice it will be a nice day out and Mum being Mum she feels that she must vote...

Families. Can't live with them. Can't shoot them.

Best to all those ailing.

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning,  Will be voting later today, first priority local model shop to benefit from the current sale as mentioned yesterday.

Congratulations on your anniversary Baz and to those ailing best wishes and the same to any other happy occasion/event I have missed.

Enjoy your day

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've already voted by postal vote, I missed the UKIP ad that some people saw this morning but just to say that it looks as if they are desperate to sink to such measures.

Made me chuckle when I heard about the problems between Didcot and Reading!

I seemed to have missed that on the news, what problems were they? Quite spectacular storms last night and quite extraordinary, though not entirely unexpected given that it is the annual Glastonbury mudfest this week, on the morning news there were pictures of even wellies abandoned in the mud. Best wishes to Baz on his anniversery and to any other celebrants. Haven't seen anything from Dave recently, hope things are as well as can be expected with Is.

Andrew C is not in London this week (offered him beer on Monday) but his other half will no doubt not enjoy the journey.

Our train was on time for once, probably because no Vic trains in the way to delay it and plenty of staff around due to not having ot work trains to Vic.

She was last heard from boarding a DLR at Woolwich to Stratford as the Bexleyheath line has both a flood and lineside fire at the same location depending on which gang of bunglec**ts you believe. (SE or NR) The Woolwich line is stuffed, Canning Town is closed hence the schlep all the way to Stratford for a Jubilee line train as the District line is also stuffed and changing to the Jubilee at West Ham is a nightmare as the trains are rammed from the start.

Morning all from the soggy bottom borough. Met up with some friends last night. After a few games of darts we spent an hour on the pub's patio watching the light show to the west and south of us. Walking home managed to get about 100m from the house when the skies opened. Soaked is not the word.

Work is slow and boring this week as expected. Next week however will be hell on earth as the last 9 months of effort go into acceptance testing. Managed to get a bit more done on the modules. Still waiting for my back ordered bits from Rapid so I can get the wiring done. Ho hum.

Will wander off to the local school in a bit to cast my vote. The ballot really needs a third option. "sick to bloody death of this crap" I really think this is a no win situation. Out will mean economic damage to the country that will take decades to repair. London will be hardest hit. Over 2tn in Euro transactions a day are done in London. That is a hell of a lot of money that will be pressured to move to Frankfurt or Paris. I've seen my pension investments lose close to 5% since the referendum was called. You just know the French will be bloody minded about everything if we leave. Best description is the ugly spiteful divorce. If you think we can magically go the Swiss/Norwegian model it won't happen. In means more of the same and probably a spanking from Brussels from us just having the gall to hold the referendum in the first place. Really the whole EU structure needs to change. It won't happen with us on the outside.

Either way, have a great day everyone.

oops: missed it. Happy Bazaversary.

Edited by AndrewC

I agree with Robert on the postal vote Ian. As an OUT vote will definitely affect you whilst living in France you should have used your vote to help protect your future interest regardless where you pay taxes. After all, I presume you dont have a vote in France just as my wife doesnt have an English election vote here.