The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mornin' all,

Good to be alive blue sky sunny start in The Moorlands.....a few beer calories burnt around the short anticlockwise.....a kindly neighbour sits Is for an hour at sun up to give me an exercise opportunity.....

post-7795-0-68817200-1466491211.jpg

post-7795-0-55079000-1466491213.jpg

post-7795-0-34894000-1466491215.jpg

post-7795-0-18494600-1466491219.jpg

post-7795-0-03739500-1466491221.jpg

post-7795-0-22547800-1466491226.jpg

post-7795-0-43097700-1466491228.jpg

post-7795-0-57925800-1466491230.jpg

Biggest drama to rectify just now is the commode....she has kidney bags for the urine but a bowel movement is a different matter. Is was too traumatised by the handling onto the wheeled commode yesterday and is still recovering. The district nurses will be looking more to suppositories/enemas now.

Managed to wash her hair yesterday which all helps to improve someones outlook. Classic FM and fresh flowers are the current favourites.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Good morning everyone.

Overcast with occasional bursts of sunshine in Surrey this morning.

After being woken up by my organic alarm clock (21 month old son) at ten past six, getting him downstairs, a challenge as he wants to investigate everything on route, fed and a nappy change (we use cloth nappies). In front of cBeebies as he munches on a banana so I can get ready for work.

Parental unit number 1 (mummy) comes in from her nighshift looking absolutely shattered (sadly we cannot afford childcare). So I jump in the car and now in slow moving traffic near Horsell (ironic as I am listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds).

Brake pads are making a noise that sounds expensive.

Edit: Happy belated anniversary to Mr and Mrs Simon and happy anniversary to Robert and Mercedes.

Hope you all have a good day.

Edited by Robatron86

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Robert & Mercedes, Happy Anniversary.

Simon, it sounds as if you had a lovely walk/day to celebrate yours.

I painted a summerhouse on ours, finishing the wood treatment on Father's Day!

It would seem that the summerhouse looks so nice that I should really do the two small sheds.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

AndyB asked for more about my model railway!

attachicon.gif20160619_181456_resized.jpg

No trains so probably safe to post!

I see Tony has tried to implicate me in his transgressions!  :O

I have visions of being hauled up on an incitement charge before a Collie Court!  :scared:

Anyway, it's a dry start to the day, albeit overcast. 

Congrats and commiserations to one and all. 

Just two days of nonsense left. I have a dream! I'm looking forward to a world where social media is no longer bombarded with internet memes telling me the world is about to end whichever way I vote. 

Have a nice day everyone. 

• RMweb Gold

Gordon Bennett!

The punter reading his paper needs a lesson in sartorial acceptability. Tan shoes and a blue suit? Talk about gauche.

Damned Cad.

It's not Friday yet, by any stretch of the imagination.

Still, that is obviously the product of an education that did not involve boarding in an all male environment, where cold showers were compulsory, and where manners, etiquette and how to dress correctly were thrashed into you by the finest bamboo.

It's all this PC stuff and enforcement of arcane liberal rules by the EU that have led to this appalling decline in standards for those working in the city.

The bounder probably wears spanx!

• RMweb Gold

I have a dream! I'm looking forward to a world where social media is no longer bombarded with internet memes telling me the world is about to end whichever way I vote. 

To put a historical end to the garbage we have been quoted by various media outlets:

The world actually ended when they abolished Brunel's broad gauge railway.

It has been a downward ever decreasing spiral since that fateful weekend in 1892.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. First of all anniversary wishes to Robert and Mercedes and belated wishes to Mr. and Mrs. Simon. All I can do is offer my best wishes to Dave and Is. I was wondering as to whether or not Dave would be able to continue his morning exercise whilst caring for Is, thanks for all the good friends and neighbours. A toddle into town today if the pollen doesn't affect me to badly. NHN you are not the worlds untidiest man, I claim that honour, one of these days 'Scruffy Chic' will be in.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The suit looks grey to me but even so....shiny black shoes please, and where are your bowler hat and umbrella? I remember when all commuters looked  the same. People knew their place. Blah, blah, etc. After a short spell in the Civil Service I'm glad I spent my working life in a field (sometimes literally) where nobody cared what you looked like (odd and weird were normal and scruffy was unavoidable).

The outlook seems fair; well it's not raining. Shopping today will include a new single air bed; Martyn's best friend sometimes stays over and the old one sprung a leak so it would deflate overnight. Oswald Bailey have some reduced to £5.

Have a good day.

Pete

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

First of all kudos to Dave for having to deal with the most unpleasant of daily tasks. I had a much more trivial version of that in Deb's early recovery from the accident - and it takes real love to be doing it every day.

Then belated congrats to Simon and more timely ones to Robert. Given our ages, I think Sherry and I will be pleased to get to double figures! But I suppose we had about 40 years each the first time around. Clearly we regard marriage as an honourable institution.

I had posted some Le Mans stuff on the F1 thread, which several ER's make contributions to, but will give the briefest resumé here, too, as well as some later news. Toyota, often an LM bridesmaid, had it in the bag. So, less than 5 minutes from the end, their leading car, well ahead of the Porsche, set off on its penultimate lap - of 384. Sadly it suffered some sort of power failure, and collapsed completely just before the line, two minutes short of 24 hrs. Porsche thus won, effectively by default, of which they were in no doubt, commiserating with Toyota at senior level. Not for the first time, when it was clear (haha) that the race was won, I elected to skip off 20 minutes before the flag, thus ensuring we got home within the hour, rather than 3 hours, while listening to John Hindhaugh on Radio Le Mans. Thus we were some way down the road when the astonishing failure of the Toyota occurred, and I found a lay-by to sit and hear the final drama before we got too far thus allowing the local transmission to fade out. It pays to stay!

The other last-hour drama involved the GTE Pro category, where a techincal infringement by the second-placed Ferrari led to it being required to pit, which it declined to do. Ford protested, whereupon Ferrari protested that the Ford car's specification was outwith the LM rules. A dreadful way to end a race, and I still not know the outcome. If the Ferrari is thrown out, Ford get all the podium positions, being first, third and fourth on the road.

My Nissan is in for service today. It needs a new windscreen, new front tyres, so will not be a cheap event, even though I expect to get the windscreen reimbursed.

I hope your week is on track.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy anniversary Robert & Mercedes.

The sun has just reappeared but its presence will no doubt be as brief as its previous visit about an hour ago, it might rain later - the seaweed twiddlers are hedging their bets it would seem, to make sure they aren't wrong.  In the meanwhile we intend to stroll down to the town to visit the Post Office, or rather what passes for a Post Office nowadays, and to hopefully get a pedicure as it's wrinklies' cheapo day and they were too busy last week when we tried to get in.

Have a good day one & all and with any luck I shall continue to avoid the spoutings of nonsense by one lot of politicos busily arguing with another lot spouting their version of nonsense.

• Like 13

Yes, many congrats to Wales, Polly. England seemed to do everything but score yesterday. Good luck to NI tonight!

Anniversary congratulations to Mr & Mrs Simon, and to Robert and Mercedes.

Good to hear that you're able to get away for your bike ride, Dave, and that Is is home and comfortable.

Busy morning inasmuch as I've spent just under an hour hanging on the phone to book tickets for the Edinburgh Book Festival. Booking office opened at 0830, and was chatting to someone by 0920. Managed to book everything that we wanted (which includes a load for Gabe's book group), except one ticket for actor Alan Cumming. Won't bore you with ticket details but following on about bikes, will be seeing Chris Boardman and Mark Beaumont, separately, on 26 August. Managed tix also to see Jackie Kay (Makar, or Scottish Poet Laureate) with Nicola Sturgeon (you don't see Dave C chatting with Carol Ann Duffy!), and Kenny MacAskill chatting about Lockerbie, and quite a few more.

The R word - there are some politicians that I won't mind not listening to for a long time after tomorrow, whose name mainly starts with F, in both senses.

Hope you all have a great day - wow, Ian, that Le Mans finish sounds very exciting!

Mal

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I have visions of being hauled up on an incitement charge before a Collie Court!  :scared:

Anyway, it's a dry start to the day, albeit overcast. 

Congrats and commiserations to one and all. 

Just two days of nonsense left. I have a dream! I'm looking forward to a world where social media is no longer bombarded with internet memes telling me the world is about to end whichever way I vote. 

Have a nice day everyone. 

I am sure they will find something else about which to harry everyone.

The collie court will probably give you woof justice.

Don 

• Like 1

Morning all from a sunny Surrey. This morning my other half has dropped me at Caterham station due to guards strike on Southern. First train off is the one to Vic then the one I am catching to LBG

OK, I HAVE to ask, is that abomination piece of carp on the tracks in two of the pictures possibly the ugliest, most awful looking item of machinery ever provided for commuter transportation or what? :O

Not seen that before and I hope to hell I never do, if anyone ever makes one in OO I'll have to buy it so I can put at least one copy out of its misery, possibly burned at the stake, and to think some folks disliked the 4-COR units <gasp> (actually one of my FAVOURITES and I wish someone would produce one).

Congratulations on the anniversary Robert and Mercedes.

Have no idea what happened, or why, but we were actually 45 minutes EARLY into JFK last night. I think perhaps the crew were going on vacation today or something :jester:

Lovely sunset arrival though, as seen below;

post-20244-0-84953200-1466511940_thumb.jpg

So, back to the dungeon for another 4 days, we'll see what the cockwombles have managed to screw up this week.

25 and partly sunny this morning, but at least not humid so far. Expected to reach 29 for a high.

Hope Tuesday proceeds as planned for everyone.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I am sure the collie photo Debs sent to me in reply to a comment elsewhere wasn't a warning!
  • Like 1

To put a historical end to the garbage we have been quoted by various media outlets:

The world actually ended when they abolished Brunel's broad gauge railway.

It has been a downward ever decreasing spiral since that fateful weekend in 1892.

Richard,

This is where we will have to respectfully (or NOT as the case may be :jester: ) disagree.

I think the world actually BEGAN with the GWREXIT (see how I did that folks, can't say I'm not up on current cock-ups events  :tomato:  ) that got rid of that ghastly colour scheme and we actually got the lovely BR/SR green livery to exist.

Brings up a related question, how come the ex-GWR engines never got "sensible" re-numbering, instead of those silly 4-digit things?? :O <ducking>

Coat, hat, on me bike... :superman:

• RMweb Gold

Sheds treated, and the summerhouse wall that is near the neighbour's fence has been done. The latter task required some thinning of shrubbery, much of which was full of ivy. I am somewhat sensitive to ivy but seem to have survived. I asked Aditi to find something to do in the garden in case I got stuck. She said I would just have to stay stuck like Pooh Bear until I could slim enough to escape. I was expecting Robbie to appear to see what I was doing as he had been the only household member to venture behind the summerhouse for many a year.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

This is where we will have to respectfully (or NOT as the case may be :jester: ) disagree.

I think the world actually BEGAN with the GWREXIT (see how I did that folks, can't say I'm not up on current cock-ups events  :tomato:  ) that got rid of that ghastly colour scheme and we actually got the lovely BR/SR green livery to exist.

Brings up a related question, how come the ex-GWR engines never got "sensible" re-numbering, instead of those silly 4-digit things?? :O <ducking>

Coat, hat, on me bike... :superman:

Would have been much easier to go DCC with the GWR numbering :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

OK, I HAVE to ask, is that abomination piece of carp on the tracks in two of the pictures possibly the ugliest, most awful looking item of machinery ever provided for commuter transportation or what? :O

Not seen that before and I hope to hell I never do, if anyone ever makes one in OO I'll have to buy it so I can put at least one copy out of its misery, possibly burned at the stake, and to think some folks disliked the 4-COR units <gasp> (actually one of my FAVOURITES and I wish someone would produce one).

You havent seen class 455's??

SW Trains have a lot of them all built in the 80's by BR.

Yes a 4 COR would be nice to run on Star Lane

• Like 5