The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

If we actually succeeded in taking my mother out for a meal she would order the cheapest item on the menu whether she liked it or not.

We had an Indian family on the next table. Every time they finished a course the Mum would pick up their plates and shovel any leftovers onto her plate and eat them.

I was surprised she wasn’t more chunky than she was, maybe she had a tough time as a kid?

Mind you we took a baggy home (but not Pad Thai, of course).

Best, Pete.

• Like 14

Greetings from an extremely damp Devon, where it hasn't really stopped raining for 24 hours now.

Is anyone getting up really early tomorrow and joining the druids at Stonehenge?

I'm not, by the way.

Early sausage run to Haverfordwest, perhaps?

Best, Pete.

• Like 8

Here’s a pal of mine,  Josh Smith (we share the same Luthier: Bill Chapin - who built the Tele type guitar he is playing) jamming with Joe Bonamassa on a recent “Blues Cruise”. Listen out for the “Holy Sh#t” comment from the audience at the end:

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 12

BTW, has anyone else noticed a variety of non-railway-related adverts appearing on the site. I'm currently looking at one for a flexible loan with an APR of 1299%. 

No complaints if it's needed to keep the site funded.

Anyway, back to the typing. :)

Loan ad is OK with me as there is no implication that it is in any way "approved or recommended" by RMWeb.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

Loan ad is OK with me as there is no implication that it is in any way "approved or recommended" by RMWeb.

Surely, by the fact that such ads are displayed on RMWeb, the implication is that they are?

OK sorry for calling you Shirley :nono:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from the Solstice.  21st June has dawned (well no, actually, it's only just after midnight) and it's still raining.

In other news the Druids are all out at Stonehenge.  Not surprising really.  Have you seen the size of the wickets there? ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The recovery vehicle arrived within a few minutes of his phone call. The hill I was on was so steep that the flatbed was practically horizontal when I drove on to it. Then within a few minutes I was on my way to Kendal, where I was dropped of at KWIK FIT, hopefully it won't be too long.

However, that's it for today, I've no chance of catching up with the work that didn't get done today, it'll probably be Wednesday before I'm back now. But, the sun is shining, and it's warm outside, the only fly in the ointment is trying to ignore the banal daytime TV that is on whilst I wait, I don't know what people find so entertaining about it, it's an insult to your intelligence as far as I'm concerned.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01

Afternoon all from a sunny/cloudy/light shower/sunny again Scottish HQ.

Been another busy weekend, down to Durham on Friday by train, back up again on Saturday, girlfriend's parents and sister visiting so that accounted for Saturday evening and then out with them and Jamie yesterday - went to Inchcolm Island and Abbey in the Firth of Forth.

Hope everyone's well! May watch the England game tonight (I hope...).

• Like 15

I'm going to disagree with Andrew and The Lurker's analyses. Assuming the tracks and platforms at both termini are loaded to capacity, then London Bridge, Waterloo East and Charing Cross will be served by CX trains and just Cannon Street by CS trains. So I foresee morning rush hour trains to CX will be rammed by Hither Green and evening passengers at London Bridge will have no chance to get on a train. I would expect a lot of commuters to use the District Line to Cannon Street or walk to/from Bank.

Capacity is a complex calculation. CX has effectively 5½ platforms, but the tracks from Borough Market can carry another 14 (say), so a maximum of 20 trains. CS has 7 platforms, but the limited throat only permits another 3 to Borough Market although empty stock can use the line to Metropolitan Junction, say a maximum of 12 trains. So my simplistic argument does assume more trains using CX.

However, all you need is an idiot trying to force himself onto a Bexleyheath train at 17:10 at platform 7 at LB, with the consequential punch up, to completely bu99er the timetable. I rather think "tales from Sidcup" will rival the present "tales from Redhill".

Bill

Managed to get through all the posts since Friday afternoon - that's a lot of information <insert head exploding emoticon here>

Glad to hear  Is now seemingly comfortable at home with Dave - enjoy the time.

Congratulations to Simon and Mrs S on the anniversary.

Here's the weekend update;

Friday, YAY, managed to receive the "package" I was waiting for my, second King Arthur class - 30800 Sir Meleaus de Lile

post-20244-0-66765600-1466433529_thumb.gif

All I need to do is source an accessory pack so I can get the front steps and cylinder drains - seems they are hard to track down <sigh>

Saturday, a little ODD start. Ended up meeting Jemma for late breakfast! The weather had apparently been terrible on her last leg Friday night, Minneapolis-Sioux Falls. After a taxi out then returning to the gate due to weather - which included de-boarding pax. for two hours, they made a second attempt to get to Sioux Falls. Left at 11PM, got all the way there at which time weather THERE had deteriorated enough and severe wind-shear reported by the previous plane that made two missed approaches, they decided to return to Minneapolis. Ended up at the crew hotel at 1:30AM. So we got to see her for an early Fathers Day breakfast.

Rest of the day spent at the rental place and also a couple of DIY shops INCLUDING a rush through IKEA for curtains, blah, blah.

Sunday, Fathers Day, nice call from Jemma and brunch with Trevor here. We then went to "visit" Mrs father at Fort Snelling National Cemetery.

post-20244-0-71792500-1466434059_thumb.jpg

Following that I had most of the rest of the day to myself, and managed some time to install a couple of point motors and detail the crew for the loco.

It was oppressive here all weekend in the lower 90's and miserable humidity, so most of the outside time wasn't as pleasant as it could have been.

Today working at home for now, then heading to the airport this afternoon to be on Long Island the rest of the week in the dungeon :(

Right now 21 and lovely, sunny with low humidity, hopefully the weather week in the NY area will be reasonable, as currently suggested by Pete...

Have a good start to the week everyone.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't sure what all the enthusiasm for walking Robbie early and partaking of lunch at one o'clock was all about. For some reason Aditi thought the England match was this afternoon not evening. I had no idea.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.   Jayne's older dog is now seriously ill - what the &^%$ is going on?  Wondering about poison. 

Poor girl, she's in bits.  Life is treating her very badly, and she is such a nice girl.  Off to maudle.

• RMweb Gold

Evening, a relaxing day yesterday which was welcome given some aches and pains after my tennis exertions the day before.

Today I had a leisurely trip up to Windermere to deliver a package off for my other half, I left in pouring rain but once north of Lancaster the rain stopped and the sun was shining, I seem to have brought the sun back with me as its a lovely evening here.

The lawns need mowing again but that can wait, think I will watch England tonight with with a glass of vino and half an expectation they will screw it up.

Hope your evening is enjoyable

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Just back for a quick "Ambridge" catch-up.

Happy Anniversary to Simon and Mrs Simon.  35 years is no mean feat, and we've managed a couple more than that ourselves.

Neil, how dreadful for Jayne - I think that if you even suspect poison, it needs to be diagnosed quickly, and the authorities and media informed, so that if there is a poisoner around, other dog people are aware and can make sure that they keep their eyes open, and keep an eye on the dog as well.

Thanks for the sun, Shedman, it's appreciated.

Oh is there a football match tonight?  Not my bag, football, I'm afraid.

Back tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

just had a phone call from the garage who's dealing with my puncture, should be with me in about 10 minutes. He's a local guy so with a bit of luck it won't be too long.

Here's the damage!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That chipped wheel will probably need replacing. Mine was chipped in a similar manner and it was replaced, that was on the other drivers insurance however.

Lots of miles covered today (340) most of it while it was raining. Plenty of cockwombles driving far too fast for the conditions.

Congratulations to Simon and Mrs G

Jack - Where did they find a cameraman brave/stupid enough to film that :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

NHN - Please send my sympathies to Jane. She's been through far too much already.

No football for me either, the ball's the wrong shape.

Waiting to see if I'm going to have a 200 mile round trip to deal with a management issue of a personal nature.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• RMweb Gold

Got to LBG but chaos. The 19.48 still showing delayed when our train the 20.08 departed at 20.20. Loads of Police, more than when there is a terrorist threat to try and quash any passenger uprising. Shambolic is perhaps the nicest way to put it. Bit hey we are all paying for the Govia bosses big pay bonus.

Sorry for the same old trype from  me but this is beyond a joke these days.

Don't worry in a few weeks you won't here all this.

Edited by roundhouse

Looking forward to Southern Failways' service tomorrow; if they live up to their previous strike days, down here at least it will be a better service than normal!

All they need is a Southampton to Three Bridges service and a Bognor to Brighton. Change at Havant for Portsmouth. Swap routes at Barnham and provide a Brighton - London service connecting at Three Bridges! Seemples!

Night all!