The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Aft'noon all,

Is was brought home an home ago and is now sleeping comfortably. Once she is fully rested I'll start to get a picture of what good & bad days might be like.

Rgds

Dave

Great News, Dave.  Hope that there's more good days than bad ones.  It'll take some time to establish a routine which works for both of you, and gives you the best possible time together.  I'm sure that you will, though.

Afternoon All

Caught up again, and we do seem to be sailing close to the wind here, with all sorts of talk of tr*ins, p*int motors, and even pictures of these.  If Collie Towers is watching, woe betide us.  However, in that connection, I'm a bit concerned at Debs' absence here and on FB, so I hope that she's not had a setback.

Generic greetings to everybody else, as again there's been a lot to digest and to take on board.

We were meant to be having a visit from the builder this morning to sort the downstairs toilet, but he was on a job in Worthing (he lives in Lancashire) and due to onsite problems, then traffic, he didn't get home until silly o'clock, so he's coming tomorrow as he also needs to get the part.  Instead, we decided to tidy up the shed - what a wonderful job that was - not.

Possibly back later, if not, tomorrow after the car boots - not selling, but a quick look round, and as the tip's on the way, a visit there to get rid of the junk that we've been keeping in case it comes in handy.  We kept an old strimmer, with the guard broken and now missing, and I priced a replacement as being almost as expensive as a new machine - £19 for the part, and £22 for the machine.  It was a freebie when we bought the lawn mower, so isn't worth fixing - it nev er strimmed anyway.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit concerned at Debs' absence here and on FB, so I hope that she's not had a setback.

I've since seen that she's been on FB, so no concerns.  Hopefully, she'll be around here again soon.

• Like 7

Aft'noon all,

Is was brought home an home ago and is now sleeping comfortably. Once she is fully rested I'll start to get a picture of what good & bad days might be like.

Rgds

Dave

Great news!

As another on this forum has said, cuddle up and enjoy each others' company!

• RMweb Premium

Humph. No cricket...4 loads of washing ..ipso facto no modelling. Pah!

Dave great to hear Is is home.

Baz

PS hasn't the squidlet grown!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Depends on how the stat is set up. Mine stays in control 24/7 but has 6 time periods wherein I have set the temperatures accordingly. I am not aware that mine has caused warming overnight!

I assume that you have set it lower overnight. However it can be surprising if you leave windows open and the out side temperature dips overnight cold air can trigger the stat. It depends on where it is sighted and at what temperature. If you are one of those who want a 25deg in the evening and 20deg overnight during the winter it may be to high to keep it off during summer. 

Don

I'd be shouting it from the rooftops!

That'll buy a few plectrums.

Hope it all works out for you.

I tend not count my chickens until they are hatched! Bought a big smile to my face though. Thanks, DD.

Happy Father’s Day to all Dads for tomorrow (!) (is the UK the same? I know mothering Sunday is much different, US to UK).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

Mixed weekend for me so far. Managed to make one good electric lawnmower from two faulty ones. One had a broken motor pinion for the drive belt and the other had a recurring electrical fault, so I swapped the electrics from one to the other and now have a good one. Less good news about my chromebook, the charging port is faulty and the repair shop cannot get a replacement anywhere. His proposed cure was to solder the charger cable into the port with no guarantee that it would work, for £45. We decided we would rather put that money towards a new laptop/chromebook/tablet. Ah well, you win some you lose some. Stay safe all. 

• RMweb Gold

Evening, nice to hear that Is is home, thoughts are with you both.

Busy day today, watching the rugby this morning can England make it a whitewash I hope so! then it was off to play tennis in a league match (yes short of players due to holidays) pleased to say my partner and I won both mens doubles. As regards the mixed I partnered a very pleasant young 15 year old  girl who took sympathy on me saying dont worry I will chase any lobbed balls!

We won so its played 3 won three and now I am going to retire undefeated!

I have a feeling that I will have some aches and pains tomorrow , a large glass  of vino beckons and well deserved in my humble opinion.

Enjoy whats left of the day where ever you are

• Like 17

Evenin' all,

We've survived our first district nurse and later palliative care worker visits. Each had the odd concern which lead to corrective actions.....Is's brother had to drive to Stoke to get some prescription papers signed and there are some sanitary issues to address tomorrow but each care worker is essentially happy with our early routine. Is has been readily eating fruit segments/nuts & raisins and drinking iced water/lime juice. Yes, I have to get her to take a tablet each time she wakes up but she seems happy and settled.

Occasional visitors can have a few mins with her from tomorrow but nothing to tire her.

Dave   

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That could be wasting you a bit of money unless the stat is set low. If the Bedroom has a themostatic valve set fairly low the heating could be coming on in the night just warming the rads through but you could be unaware of that because your rad is shut off by the thermostat. Obviously it soon switches off but you have wasted gas heating the water in the boiler and pipes as well as the bit in the rads. If you turn the stat down to below what you would have it normally during the winter say 15deg it may not come on at all, if left at 20deg  it may well come on briefly at night. 

Don

Don.

Our boiler is on a timer and is off during the night. The kitchen, bathroom and all the bedroom radiators have stat valves. They alone will not bring the boiler on, they only control the rad they are plumbed into. The boiler will only fire up when the timer is ON AND the main stat (usually set around 18-20C) tells the boiler that the temperature is cold enough. The only other time the boiler will fire up is if the frost stat tells it is near to 0C, but even then the boiler only ticks over and the pump doesn't run, so the rads stay off!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave.

Good news about Is being home and the first home visits. I'm sure that after a couple of days you'll both get into some sort of routine that will very soon it will all become second nature. Enjoy what time you have left together and also each other's company.

Thoughts with you both.

• RMweb Gold

I made the fixture which has three functions built into it:  Two for cutting to different lengths and one for drilling alignment.

It works and I have now built 33 out of 40 target cord winders.  I only stopped as I ran out of the timber of the correct section.

I was rewarded by the Obergrumpenfuhrer who presented me with an orange and cinnamon cookie, glazed in icing sugar which she had made as an experiment.

I am quite the guinea pig sometimes!

I've just had a horrid thought............................I do hoped she remembered to wash her hands after all the slopping out!

• Like 15

A good journey home with very few cockwombles sighted and after unpacking, putting the washing on and making the required coffee, I spent some time inspecting the inside of my eyelids.

AndyB - Keep applying and going for the interviews. You will get there eventually.

Dave - Great news that Is is home.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Dave, glad to hear Is is settling, and the support is in place.

Sorry to report I'm having a sh*t weekend.  Attended a funeral yesterday of a pal from the old farts bike club who had died after several heart attacks.  He was only a year older than me, he was a great guy.  Humanist funeral was quite my thing though, very 'community' and seemed a great way to celebrate the life of a remarkable man. 

Then poor Jayne's younger dog (4) died later that day, she is devastated. We're struggling today. 

Some of Don's products.....the music scene here will miss him

post-10195-0-56677200-1466282425.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil

Good evening all!

I assume that you have set it lower overnight. However it can be surprising if you leave windows open and the out side temperature dips overnight cold air can trigger the stat. It depends on where it is sighted and at what temperature. If you are one of those who want a 25deg in the evening and 20deg overnight during the winter it may be to high to keep it off during summer. 

Don

Stat is set for 18 degrees overnight; windows are not left open in that period.

Don.
Our boiler is on a timer and is off during the night. The kitchen, bathroom and all the bedroom radiators have stat valves. They alone will not bring the boiler on, they only control the rad they are plumbed into. The boiler will only fire up when the timer is ON AND the main stat (usually set around 18-20C) tells the boiler that the temperature is cold enough. The only other time the boiler will fire up is if the frost stat tells it is near to 0C, but even then the boiler only ticks over and the pump doesn't run, so the rads stay off!

Boiler is on 24/7 but controlled by the  house thermostat. The stats on your radiators do not affect the boiler output but merely limit the input to their own rad as you suggest.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have picked up a tummy bug. Not pleasant and may result in definitely no cricket tomorrow.

Sleep well all!  Rick hope the shift goes well

Baz

• RMweb Gold

The new wood stain for our summerhouse looked vile. Fortunately I only did the wall not visible from our house or garden. I did the other walls in something more acceptable I found in the shed. Probably classed as WMD grade now. Apart from walking Robbie I haven't done much else today.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Don.

Sorry Brian I thought you said you relied on the stat to keep it off. If the timer keeps it off overnight no problem. I didn't check but when I woke about 6:30 this morning it certainly felt below 18deg.

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Happy Father’s Day to all Dads for tomorrow (!) (is the UK the same? I know mothering Sunday is much different, US to UK).

Best, Pete.

Not having been a father I have had little benefit from Father's day except once. We had taken FiL to the Dean Forest for the day. FiL walked with a stick and was not good on his legs so when they annouced their was a free footplate ride for ticket no xxxx which happened to be one of those I had bought for us. So yours truly claimed the footplate ride. It was a 14xx from Norchard to Lydney (someone else had the ride back)

Don

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Eventually caught up.

Dave, delighted Is is at home.  Hope everything goes well for the both of you.  Keep strong.

Tr**n news.  Sensitive ones, please look away now!  After 13/4 hours of taking passengers round and round and round the track this afternoon, I'm now a Passed driver for West Shore steam locos. 

Ordinary day tomorrow. 

' Night all.  Nos da.  Take care everyone.

Well done Polly. I presume you are allowed to take passengers now.

Don