The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday, Richard!

Popped home quickly after a trip to the clothing department yielded a couple of polo shirts, of which the first shipment in January or February had been exhausted almost immediately and which had just become available again. According to a staff information, demand for these shirts was significantly higher than for those from the previous clothing range. Just as a quick side note to illustrate another of the intricacies, major and minor, inside a transport authority!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Richard. I can just about recall the great joy of being eligible for a B&Q discount card.

So far here today it is a very pleasant morning, very sunny. Depending which forecast we believe, we are either going to have thunderstorms and heavy rain or alternatively we are not. We seem to be near the edge of the thundery graphics shown on last night's forecast.

I will set off after breakfast to collect Robbie. He goes to kennels near Horndon on the Hill. Horndon on the Hill seems to be famous for burning people. I think they may have been equal opportunity burners as they seemed to do it irrespective of the state religion in Tudor times.

The lessons and readings at baby cousin's dedication ceremony were a bit heavy I thought, much "putting to death", child sacrifice and how dare Radio 4 broadcast intellectuals discussing belief. It all seemed odd. Also there was a quick attack on unbelievers too. Cake afterwards was nice though.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Richard, don't worry about 'thinking' old, some of us were born old (if not neccessarily wiser). And welcome to the world of the Grumpies, you don't have to be grumpy, its compulsory!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

<Rant mode on>

Spotted an "order confirmation" from the rain forest-titled emporium earlier.

£18.95 + p&p for 250ml bottle of shampoo.

WT actual flipping 'eck.

Oh, ok, it's organic and most likely contains Fairtrade yak's saliva. That makes it so much more acceptable.

Somehow this will be justified by the purchaser because "it's less chemically". 

That's not even a word! 

If it was a word it would be akin to "contains less chemicals".  

How about this for a marketing slogan. "We sold you less, so charged you more."

<Rant mode off>

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

A sunny, but slightly overcast start to the day, which finds me working, once again on the Wirral.

You can tell it's still half term at the moment as there is not so much traffic around in the small villages that I have to drive through. But there are still plenty of cockwombles about on the motorways though.

Enjoy whatever you've got planned for the day.

Richard. Happy birthday.

Dave. I hope Is is fit enough for the stent procedure, I'm sure it'll make a big difference to how she will feel after its done.

Back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all; a pleasant day in the Hundred of Mansbridge. Tigger is having an intermittent dispute with a very noisy and quite brave magpie. Yesterday they had a stand-off at opposite ends of the roof of the small shed, which is 8ft long. Earlier today the magpie was on the corner of the shed roof and Tigger on the gatepost barely 4ft away.  Now Tigger is just mooching about the garden and the bird is still shouting madly. I thought it might be defending a nest but it's a bit late in the year.

Happy Hippo Birthday to Richard. Perhaps a Hippo Bag might be more suited than a hamper to the quantities of comestibles needed for a Hippo picnic.

Re the Tapas Moment, good job nobody ordered champagne cocktails  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk&index=1&list=RDU8Kum8OUTuk

I've just realised that I missed the Eastleigh Works Open Day on Saturday. I'm now kicking my metaphorical butt for not reading my Railway Magazine more thoroughly.  

A parcel has arrived. It should be the Lawrence/Goddard loco I bought off EBay. I thought it would be nice to have one rather than it's RTR equivalent. I shall go and open it shortly.

Have a good day, best wishes to all.

Pete

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Duly cogitating soem suitably witty form of birthday greeting for our cheery hippo chappy I was called away to breakfast - a call almost immediately confirmed by the smoke alarms going off to indicate that the toast was ready but slightly charred (I grabbed the non-charred bit).  So no witty repartee as most of my ideas have already been pinched used so, Richard just a happy birthday wish and welcome to the seventh decade; enjoy the picnic.

While I was greatly amused by the tale of the tapas restaurant it does of course leave me puzzled in some ways as I have absolutely no understanding whatsoever of what tapas is apart from the fact that it sounds slightly rude.  So if someone orders tapas (delivered in relays it appears) what else do these places sell which isn't tapas and takes longer to emerge from the kitchen?  Signed baffled of Thamesis.

In the meanwhile have a  good day one and all, thunder storms and torrential rain showers are promised for significant chunk of the south-east of the country England later today and localised flooding may occur  (this warning comes not from the tabloid press but from the Met Office so is not accompanied by dire tales of plagues of frogs and house prices spiralling into free fall or that it is down to Eurocrats in Brussels sending us some sort of warning of impending doom whether we vote in out or shake it all about).

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning, sunny and humid here.

Happy birthday Richard

I did laugh at the Tapas Saga pleased to know that I am not the only one with an idiot brother in law.

Yesterday morning over breakfast plans were discussed/ordered for  yesterday and today. The result is that I did all my jobs yesterday and thus have a free day today!

I have been and purchased two new points for the layout and intend to have a leisurely day today with the odd G&T thrown in.

I am/will enjoy my day, enjoy yours!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Once, on a bus a female passenger became my wife for an urgent prescription phone conversation with the GP's rottweiler receptionist.

Huh. I was once in the illicit company of a lady when her phone rang. Hubby was on the other end, wanting to speak to one of the girls she had said she would be with. She afforded herself a moment's thinking time by saying they were in the loo, but then announced that they were back. Placing a finger against one nostril, putting on a little-girlie voice, and deploying her acting skills, she said "Hello, this is Lesley" whereupon hubby said "Oh, thanks, can you put my wife back on please?" You couldn't make it up!

• Like 2

Morning all,

<Rant mode on>

Spotted an "order confirmation" from the rain forest-titled emporium earlier.

£18.95 + p&p for 250ml bottle of shampoo.

WT actual flipping 'eck.

Oh, ok, it's organic and most likely contains Fairtrade yak's saliva. That makes it so much more acceptable.

Somehow this will be justified by the purchaser because "it's less chemically". 

That's not even a word! 

If it was a word it would be akin to "contains less chemicals".  

How about this for a marketing slogan. "We sold you less, so charged you more."

<Rant mode off>

Reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch where the chap runs a shop that sells hideously expensive tat to yummy mummies. The shop was called something like "I saw you coming"

• RMweb Gold

I made myself useful this morning by repairing the toaster. I amazed myself by not asking "at what point did you decide that application of brute force wasn't the answer?" I did suggest turning it off before poking things in was a good idea. Aditi thought it was off and unplugged but that was the kettle!

I collected Robbie, he seems happy.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Richard!

Petethemole has a Lawrence/Goddard loco? They are never cheap. I'm proud of owning a coach by them - a Bulleid BTK - but a loco is superior by some margin.

We actually had a sunny afternoon yesterday, and a true Summer evening, but a misty morning today only yielded to the sun a couple of hours ago, and it's now clouded over prior to stormy showers being due. Glad I made use of the dry day to take another layer off most of the grass.

I know zilch about tapas, and Iberia is the least interesting part of Europe to me. Ignorance is probably bliss.

Hope your week going well.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Slightly numb mouth at the moment as I had to go to the tooth mechanic earlier to fix a broken tooth. Almost forgot the appointment but made it in time. Saw a new young chap today as my dentist for the last 30 odd years is reducing his hours and thinking of retirement. New chap was very good so no worries for the future.

Steak sandwich for lunch might have to wait a bit.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Job interview by Skype lasted 9 mins. 

That was 9 mins where the video quality made the interviewer look like a Minecraft character and the sound quality made me sound as if I had my head in a bucket*.

Re-scheduling a face-to-face interview as she concluded there was "enough about me to warrant it". 

I might have some decent answers to her questions now I know her interview style. :) 

* it was actually a waste paper basket;I'm camera shy. :tender:  

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Job interview by Skype lasted 9 mins. 

That was 9 mins where the video quality made the interviewer look like a Minecraft character and the sound quality made me sound as if I had my head in a bucket*.

Re-scheduling a face-to-face interview as she concluded there was "enough about me to warrant it". 

I might have some decent answers to her questions now I know her interview style. :)

* it was actually a waste paper basket;I'm camera shy. :tender:  

Have you thought that maybe she liked the decor of your house and wants to ask you where to buy the paint but is afraid to ask over the 'net in case she gets found out? :jester:

• Like 2

Slightly numb mouth at the moment as I had to go to the tooth mechanic earlier to fix a broken tooth. Almost forgot the appointment but made it in time. Saw a new young chap today as my dentist for the last 30 odd years is reducing his hours and thinking of retirement. New chap was very good so no worries for the future.

Steak sandwich for lunch might have to wait a bit.  :jester:

Slightly numb? If I have to have anything more than a count and polish of my remaining pearlies, I demand at least a couple of extra shots of local anaesthetic. Besides feeling no pain, I also have the pleasure of going about talking like Humphrey Bogart for the rest of the day.

• RMweb Premium

Have you thought that maybe she liked the decor of your house and wants to ask you where to buy the paint but is afraid to ask over the 'net in case she gets found out? :jester:

From what I could gather she would have seen a mirror image of some artwork my daughter gave to me on Saturday; a massive "52" collage made up of B&W photos of special memories.

Corrr, that bloke never looks 25! Let's get him down 'ere to double check.