The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On a slightly lighter note: I've done some modelling this week :swoon:  Last Wednesday (late!) I decided I should stop doin'nothin' and finally make that distributor I need for a demo sometime later this year or early next. It's not much, but it's the first thing completed in quite a few years :imsohappy:  Couldn't finish it right away, I had to cut some Alu angled-profile and given the time of day the neighbours wouldn't exactly applaud me :P  So did the cutting, grinding and drilling the day after, with some soldering mixed in too. Those are 4mm banana connectors. The beige terminal block is for the red wire, the green terminals are for black. The demo is DCC & PC control using Rocrail.

attachicon.gifverdeler_klein.jpg

Small thing, but major considerable victory on apathy ^_^

I am totally lost what comment to post.

1. A Lego castle it looks great.

2. I want one. What is it?

;-)

The sun has gone awol, hopefully only for the time being and it will pop out later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there's no such thing as an inanimate object. Also that gravity works in any direction and varies in intensity.

Pete

Spot on. My life has been blighted by the defiance of inanimate objects, refusing to behave rationally. As for gravity, hardly a day goes by when I don't remark that Isaac (Newton) is on strike again. Inverting a container and expecting the contents to descend is a very marginal science. Edited by Oldddudders

she used a lot of carbolic soap....

I seem to remember the soap that B.R. supplied, came in long sticks, red and it had to be cut up with a hacksaw!

It also removed a thin layer of skin.   :O

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to the Andys and Peter, a glass was raised here too. Sounds like a very fitting send off for Jock.

I can now see again and Specsavers can afford a shiny new sound loco... I should have offered them £35.

Granddaughter arriving for the day soon, first words through the door will probably be 'can I have my railway out', so I am going to have to move my guitars and associated amps and cables. Did I ever mention I hate cables? I hate the b****y things with a vengeance after so many years of bands and PA hire. They can tangle themselves around each other and everything else even when neatly coiled and tied in their storage boxes, out in the wild they are a nightmare.

*Deep breath* :sungum:

Best wishes to all who ail.

Five years as a cable jointer taught me how to tame them!

Don

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Silly life indoors : The flood news from gay Paree is not good, and I was reminiscing about a 1950s pop tune by Winifred Attwell, called The Poor People Of Paris, and how on such occasions this takes on a new meaning. This led to mention of Russ Conway, also a '50s popular pianist, and his big hit Side Saddle. Sherry - who has a good voice and near-perfect pitch - began to hum the tune, playing it on air-piano. At this point Cooper, large orange cat stretched out on her lap, stopped dozing, turned his head round and gave Sherry the WTF look!

• Like 16

Sort of catching up. Thanks to those who represented us (in person or words) at Jock's funeral.

Meanwhile, in Sarf East London I have notified the charity that I'll resign at the agm in September. Sad, but the chair person going "Yo, team" in a trustee meeting isn't quite to my taste. Also that I'm expected to be available 24 / 7.

However, I did a CFR duty last night; my first in about 18 months.

The last three days were spent helping Nick with his layout. Nick was doing a complete re-wire, I was removing a redundant cross over.

Keep well, all.

Bill

Good to see that More 4 (should that be known as Mo Fo?) is currently showing White Christmas. Surely the celluloid must be fairly thin by now, along with that of many Xmas war films.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone. Late on parade today I'm afraid, late night followed by a bit of a lie in this morning.

Busy old morning today, grass cut and cuttings cleared away, the green bin is now almost full! Of to No2 sons this afternoon, to help him replacing a fan vent for the kitchen. The old one had broken and had had birds nesting in it, so now that they've flown off he's going to replace it and has asked me to assist.

Another musical legend's death was announced yesterday Dave Swarbrick died, aged 75. Barely got mentioned yesterday.

Did I ever mention I hate cables? I hate the b****y things with a vengeance after so many years of bands and PA hire. They can tangle themselves around each other and everything else even when neatly coiled and tied in their storage boxes, out in the wild they are a nightmare.

Good to know that I'm not the only one that has cables do that to! Put them away neatly coiled and tied with plugs and sockets conected so that they cannot get into knots, come back and find them all knotted!

Laurence, Dave (HB)

When I played in a band, being a drummer, I never had a problem with cables, although, being an electrician, I'd often be asked to repair them! Damage often occurring from being caught up in their feet!

Back later.

• Like 12

Silly life indoors : The flood news from gay Paree is not good, and I was reminiscing about a 1950s pop tune by Winifred Attwell, called The Poor People Of Paris, and how on such occasions this takes on a new meaning. This led to mention of Russ Conway, also a '50s popular pianist, and his big hit Side Saddle. Sherry - who has a good voice and near-perfect pitch - began to hum the tune, playing it on air-piano. At this point Cooper, large orange cat stretched out on her lap, stopped dozing, turned his head round and gave Sherry the WTF look!

Was amused when a young(ish) character on a TV program asked "What's a Conway Twitty?" when another character said he'd finally been able to get hold of a copy that he'd been searching for.

Time for another trip to Specsavers?

:jester:

Here's its backside:

attachicon.gifverdeler2_klein.jpg

(yes, that black wire is continues)

I'll use it to connect the loose-end wires coming from the track to the 4mm banana-plug system the club uses. So it's really a banana-plug-to-loose-wire adapter :yes:

But I like the Lego castle idea :good:

Tate Modern here he comes!

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I woke up this morning, listened to the news, went back to sleep, woke up again, took Robbie for a walk, took Robbie to kennels for his weekend break, filled Land Rover fuel tank, came home had breakfast, lunch, did my packing for tomorrow. Smart suit still fits! Packed appropriate tablets. I'm getting a bit better at coping without the medication that really worked well!

Aditi is digging holes in the garden, taking advantage of Robbie's absence. He doesn't normally dig but likes to "help" when she is gardening. Also he would like the farmyard manure.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

...Did I ever mention I hate cables? I hate the b****y things with a vengeance after so many years of bands and PA hire. They can tangle themselves around each other and everything else even when neatly coiled and tied in their storage boxes, out in the wild they are a nightmare...

Over a century ago, Jerome K Jerome had much the same problems with a distant relative of the electric cable...

"...There is something very strange and unaccountable about a tow-line.  You roll it up with as much patience and care as you would take to fold up a new pair of trousers, and five minutes afterwards, when you pick it up, it is one ghastly, soul-revolting tangle.

I do not wish to be insulting, but I firmly believe that if you took an average tow-line, and stretched it out straight across the middle of a field, and then turned your back on it for thirty seconds, that, when you looked round again, you would find that it had got itself altogether in a heap in the middle of the field, and had twisted itself up, and tied itself into knots, and lost its two ends, and become all loops; and it would take you a good half-hour, sitting down there on the grass and swearing all the while, to disentangle it again.

That is my opinion of tow-lines in general.  Of course, there may be honourable exceptions; I do not say that there are not.  There may be tow-lines that are a credit to their profession—conscientious, respectable tow-lines—tow-lines that do not imagine they are crochet-work, and try to knit themselves up into antimacassars the instant they are left to themselves.  I say there may be such tow-lines; I sincerely hope there are.  But I have not met with them..."

... and so on for another two or three pages of invective. "Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!)" First published 1889.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

When I was little it was either Russ Conway or Ivor Emmanuel performing. Or perhaps they were the ones we were allowed to watch!

• Like 5

I have one fence to left to paint, this can wait a few days as  I need to be in the mood, its a 2 day job, 184 boards each one a sixfoot length  by six inches wide which form the side fence to the back garden, each board bolted to a metal frame. The fence has been up 13 years and I have not had any issues just a ###### to paint!

We had a cover built over part of an outdoor deck, and a wooden railing round the whole deck, using square spindles. We painted everything ourselves. Afterwards we calculated what length of wood we had painted, ignoring the width. We were surprised to find it came to well over a kilometre - and we did two coats.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from the village that's warm but cloudy.  I've just got in from a day helping at the GoG event at Doncaster, which went well and I even sold some coach etches. I saw vrious people there and sorted various thing out and even spent some money. I'd gone over to help set up yesterday afternoon and we got away early so I called in to see Tony before going to the clubroom. He was in good form and we had a good chat, most of which made sense.

That poem that Andy P posted was originally inscribed on the graves of two enginemen who were killed in a boiler explosion at Bromsgrove in I think the 1840's. It's actually been altered as the last line is " safe in the arms of Jesus I lie". I've read it out at a couple of modellers funerals and want it read at mine with an extra tot of single malt for anyone who can correctly tell my remaining relatives what a 'Clack' is.

Anyway regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Somewhat late on period as this morning I went for a train ride to get myself updated on NR progress (or not) with stringing miles of expensive copper in the air then got home to various tasks like reading the 'paper' doing the sudoku and codeword and then watching a stupid disaster film on some high numbered tv channel but with some very impressive CGI effects followed by reading some articles in 'Modern Railways'.  Laddo has yet to return from clay pigeon shooting so we have yet to find out what colour his shoulder is - hopefully he followed my advice about holding a shotgun (spoke too soon - just heard his brakes squealing their way into the drive).

Now for a wander round the fun zone of RMweb,

Have a  good evening everybody.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

Afternoon all from the village that's warm but cloudy.  I've just got in from a day helping at the GoG event at Doncaster, which went well and I even sold some coach etches. I saw vrious people there and sorted various thing out and even spent some money. I'd gone over to help set up yesterday afternoon and we got away early so I called in to see Tony before going to the clubroom. He was in good form and we had a good chat, most of which made sense.

That poem that Andy P posted was originally inscribed on the graves of two enginemen who were killed in a boiler explosion at Bromsgrove in I think the 1840's. It's actually been altered as the last line is " safe in the arms of Jesus I lie". I've read it out at a couple of modellers funerals and want it read at mine with an extra tot of single malt for anyone who can correctly tell my remaining relatives what a 'Clack' is.

Anyway regards to all.

Jamie

Wasn't me Jamie. ? Sorry.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking that mild weather is probably the best time for the central heating system to fail. By fail, I mean develop a leak and flood the downstairs cloakroom.

Spent the morning mopping the floor and draining the system. 

Had a chance to test my new GF 5MT. I've little experience of steam engine models but I was hoping that it would haul more than it's own weight and reach a speed commensurate with more than a shunting manoeuvre. Think it may need to be returned to the retailer. 

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't me Jamie. ? Sorry.

Mea culpa Andy sorry, my memory has failed me yet again.

The headstones are still there in Bromsgrove and the Midland Railway Society paid for their restoration a few years ago.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Anyway regards to all.

Jamie

Actually it was I who posted it. I deliberately left the last line off in deference to Jock's atheist beliefs.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12