The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony for the advice! smile.gif Makes it a little less daunting.

It is true though what Dominik said - you are now under pressure not only from good grades, but bending over backwards to find something unique about yourself.

My best mate is applying for Cambridge and the internal deadline for all the forms was, I think, a week last friday. And guess who didn't tell him until it was almost too later... yep our school. I think everyone is feeling the pressure at the moment.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be too much on the cards for today - a pub lunch, more coursework, finish that geography essay and start filling out those forms!

Social life? Moi? laugh.gif

• RMweb Premium

As for e-mail addresses - one thing they keep saying about these is that "serious" addresses like "first name.last name@provider" go down better in formal contexts than things like "slayer666@whatsit".

• RMweb Gold

As for e-mail addresses - one thing they keep saying about these is that "serious" addresses like "first name.last name@provider" go down better in formal contexts than things like "slayer666@whatsit".

My wife tells me that some of the email addresses that students have as their contact are most definitely not the sort of thing you want in your address book!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

On another note: I was just leafing through a Greek cook book and came across a recipe for a soup based on all of twelve cloves of garlic :blink: .

The very first time I used garlic in a recipe I thought a clove was the whole bulb so the final product had two bulbs not two cloves.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

My feeling is that this puts you under pressure to effectively "show off", and in doing so bend over backwards until you hurt yourself, and possibly badly.

If in any doubt about this, just watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice

Morning All

Lovely day here, and I actually managed to walk about 800 yards on the crutches yesterday, and have done 400 this morning as well, so this is progress at last. I feel like I'm a member of the royal family this morning, as chez 45156 smells of fresh paint as Mrs 45156 has decided that the doors which are stained wood don't work - well they were not antique or anything, just the ones from W*ck*s and made from pine offcuts, so a bit of paint is an improvement.

As to near misses, my worst was the day I flew back from Edinburgh with British Midland, on a 737 G-OBME on 7th January 1989 - the one which crashed on the M1 at Kegworth, on 8th January 1989.

On that happy note.....

Regards to All

Stewart

Good advice that!

I have a Yahoo e-mail account which doesn't have my real name because all sensible combinations were taken. However, I have a domain name setup which simply redirects to my Yahoo account. That is the one I use for any formal contacts. Not because the Yahoo name is in anyway dodgy (it is the first Unix username I had when I started work) but because the combination of letters is not logical and therefore open to mistakes.

• RMweb Premium

As part of my job, I have to log customer contact details, including name, address, and e-mail address, and some of the things that get trotted out are quite awful. I had one that was Boobyblondie @ a domain. I also sometimes have to set up e-mail addresses as part of the new account setup, and my company's policy is that new addresses are randomly generated from the customer's details. This does get round having to set up anything that might be indecent but it can also cause dissent as we cannot set up anything ridiculous, and we have to suggest to the individual that if they want such an address they need to set it up on a web based account such as Hotmail or Gmail.

• RMweb Premium

Back from a walk in the woods where we collected a small bag full of chestnuts :) . I think we'll prepare these as a little snack later tonight. Very sunny right now and the landscape looks beautiful, with the leaves turning red and brown.

• RMweb Premium

The very first time I used garlic in a recipe I thought a clove was the whole bulb so the final product had two bulbs not two cloves.

Imagine preparing the soup I mentioned with twelve bulbs of garlic then...! :O :D

Guest Max Stafford

Imagine preparing the soup I mentioned with twelve bulbs of garlic then...! :O :D

That would be the kind of thing you tested on a remote Pacific island...! B) B) B) B) B)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Tell you what, I had a lovely afternoon walk in the woods with Abi (who's now fully recovered, for those of you who asked. She gives you her thanks for the best wishes! :) )

What a gorgeous afternoon it was too - sunny days in October have a very special quality of light in these islands and today was no exception!

Later we (the outlaws and I) went to The Outpost - a Malaysian-style restaurant in the middle of Carlisle. Run by the same guy who ran The Spice Enterprise (rated 4.5 of 5 on Trip Adviser and justifiably so), it was a top class meal and I was served the Biggest Prawn in the World as a starter.

If you're ever in these parts I heartily recommend either restaurant.

Since then, I've been enjoying reading about Cold War-era aeroplanes!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Pitch dark outside and it would seem it is a bit cooler than it was in the early hours over the weekend. Now for some breakfast - because my mood drops severely when I wait for too long.

I'm reading the fire on the ferry I've been mentioning is now out, but they're letting the ship cool down first before sending anyone aboard for extended periods of time.

Have a nice day all! :)

Morning all.

Yesterday's weather was horrendous. Howling wind (I could hear the howls throughout the flat) with driving rain. I went out for lunch with Timmy and his gf to an excellent restaurant overlooking a wild seascape. Crossing the road from the parked car to the restaurant was very harardous. The food was excellent!

Happy Monday all.

T'was a beautiful day yesterday. Friends and family round for lunch which was enjoyed in the garden. Judging by the thick head this morning, maybe one glass too many was taken.

Signs are it could be another pleasant one today.

Congrats on 13 days without smoking Don. I'm sure you'll feel better for it in the long run....

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Great to see Don with us again today - well done on the fags.

Nice morning here at present, no cloud at all, and the promise of bright sunshine. No idea what I plan to do today, but still no date for getting back to work. Still not able to stand for long enough to start cutting baseboard or supports, unfortunately.

Oh dear - bad news, 3 hours of Chris Evans this morning :angry:

I wonder who the big Euro Millions winner is? Wouldn't it be great if it was an RM Webber?

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morning all . It looks as if it is going to be a pleasant day here. I don't think I'll have to be careful crossing car parks like Don (Hello, Don). Though I think car park drivers are more dangerous round here than the weather.

I'm not planning to do to much today. Apparently a new alarm clock is arriving today to replace the one we gave Matthew to take to Leicester. Perhaps some railway stuff will arrive as well. I didn't do anything out in the garage (where the railways live) as I ended up shopping yesterday. I needed to replace the step stool. The old one was wobbly and I was worried about my wife having an accident. While out I also I bought an extra hard-drive for the laptop. I've been sorting out all my music collection since acquiring a new iPod. The 2.5 inch SATA drive was not only cheap, it only took minutes to fit.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, There appear to be bluie patches between the oktas. Nothing in the work diary for today so might be able to get something useful done. No railway related activities over the weekend so I probably need retraining!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave