The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Back from the  Ballasting of trackwork on Grantham.

Roads very busy but hey - the Civic managed to achieve 58.9mpg - not bad for a 2.2 tubby diesel powered motor - and I did manage to upset an Audi and a BMW driver by pulling away from them.

For some reason looking forward to some cricket this weekend although Mondays' weather doesn't look promising. Who cares, just need to enjoy every day as it comes.

Sleep well all.

Baz

• Like 16

As predicted, I had a very long day getting home at 19:00. The cause of the delay wasn't expected though.

I had to leave Twickenham for a meeting at Hampton only to find that the van wouldn't start. with an hour and 15 minutes I decided that the bus would be the best bet. How wrong I was. Busses in London don't take any money and I haven't got one of these Oyster cards. Only solution, walk it. I even got there on time and decided to walk back.

By the time recovery was arranged and finally arrived he agreed with me that it was the fuel pump and had to recover me. I've got it in to my usual garage but would have been a lot later if we'd followed the route on his sat nav.

It now looks like it will be at least Tuesday before I get the van back. Oh well, a 4 day weekend. It also makes the final decision about going to RailEx.

My terrible day has been much improved seeing a post from Debs.

Dave - Both you and Is are in my thoughts. Please make sure that you're looking after yourself.

John - It sounds like there is real progress with FIL's recovery.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• RMweb Premium

Managed a POETS and arranged a trip to the local model shop for some supplies for modelling tonight.

Although modelling curtailed due to having a snooze as I've been "volunteered" to do a "half-night" shift at wife's work due to staff issues (i.e. not competent enough....)

And it looks like I'll be on the same for Sunday night.

I may check in later...

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan, do you have a contactless debit card? London Buses take those too. I am old enough to have a bus pass!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Next door's shed was burgled last night. He only moved in in November and had the shed, actually a 18' x 10' ish workshop, built new earlier this year. He's a woodworker and the sound of power tools at weekends had obviously been noticed by the local lowlife, as that's what was taken. You can't see into the shed so I assume the noise was a giveaway. He's not too happy. Although the door had substantial hinges they don't seem to have been very securely fastened to the doorframe as they were levered off. I suspect screws rather than bolts.

Today was Martyn's Year 11 Leaving Mass. We're not RC but it was quite moving. He still has classes, revision sessions and exams after half term and finally leaves after his last exam paper. He can't wait.

There's just been a heavy shower. There may be more. Oh well.

Good wishes to all.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I think they have to be registered on the Oyster webite before you're able to use them, though

Mal

I don't think so but if you do you can track your spending.

Duncan, do you have a contactless debit card? London Buses take those too. I am old enough to have a bus pass!

Unfortunately not. It's so frequent that I use a bus that the last time was when I was at school

• Like 1

The exertions of today have definitely left their mark. Several blisters including 2 massive blood blisters. I'd have been happy with them a few years ago after a CFT or longer, but now...

Night all

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Another quite evening were we both just sat and read, SWMBO was reading her kindle, whilst I read Model Rail, a most enjoyable evening.

Well that's the bottle of rosé finished, the mug of cocoa has been drunk.

So it's now time for bed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 13

A bit cool today, but at least it was dry.

Another kitchen session tonight. . . A good night.

Thought with the poorly, recovering, and hurting.

Goodnight everyone. . . Sweet dreams.

John

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evenin'/mornin'/afternoon (delete as appropriate).

A slow but steady half shift done. Left the night guy with 5 in the bar, but two due to leave shortly with a taxi on the way. The other three are residents in the hotel, but have been given the "last orders 2.30am" call.

Just checked my earlier evening's ballasting around the pointwork and it's looking good - I've not been too heavy with the glue and jammed any point blades.

Off for zzzzzzz's shortly, as it's up at 9am to tidy up at wife's work for wedding 2 out of 3 this weekend.

1044 and it's "FORE!". There may be a late afternoon nap to catch up tonight's missed sleep and them some more modelling.

Have a good Saturday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

I'm on a railtour today.  UK/Hertfordshire Railtours are taking a pair of Javelins round Kent via some rare sidings. Time to chill out and watch the scenery go by while the quailbashers deploy their marker pens.  For the uninitiated, these people mark off in an atlas the track over which they travel.  This is too hard for me.  A hearty breakfast will be procured near Kings Cross.

Tomorrow I'm at Stoke Mandible for Railex, with a later start than today but early enough to park.   What will the Bank Holiday bring on Monday?   My money is on rain.

Virtual hugs to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed.  Thoughts as well.

Chris

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Brussels airport. A hazy morning.

Just to carry on a theme from Southern, first train from Centraal cancelled but luckily one 4 minutes later to the airport.

Interesting additional security here. You have to walk up a circular car ramp in the car park to gain access to the security tent prior to entering the terminal. Once in the terminal it's all much more smooth and relaxing than UK airports though.

• RMweb Premium

the quailbashers

Chris

I hope that the RSPCA don't hear that you keep such company Chris.

Good morning all from a nice bright and sunny village. Yesterday went well. I was despatched to buy some paint for the house in France. Somehow two cans of floor paint for the railway shed managed to get into the car as well. I managed to wire two more relay bases whilst sitting in the afternoon sun in the back garden then en route to see Tony delivered the bridge plans. Tony wasn't too well but we did manage some conversation. Then a good evening at the clubrooms so not a bad day all in all.

I will have to do some more shopping today then will hopefully finish wiring the relays. I've even planned how I'm going to reorganise my modelling room so that I can get some modelling done. At the moment all the essential items/junk (Depends on who's describing it) has to be moved from one pile to another to make room. However a brainwave came to me. I'm going to dismantle one of the two tables and take it to France so that I can get a workshop set up there. This will free space for storage crates for the essential items rather than keeping them on the floor. I might even make a start later today. After that I have to earn brownie points by attending a birthday party for a 1 yr old then dinner at the outlaws.

Regards to all the ailing etc.

Jamie

• Like 4

Morning all. Back from our travels yesterday and three days of working at the old job for me; too many colleagues booked the Bank Holiday off at the same time so here I am. While I have been away the Security/Portering team at Lancaster University has won an award as Security team of the year, I like to think I played a tiny part in it. We never won anything when I was here full time, obviously must have been because they didn't enter.

Our Ffestiniog trips included plenty of walking from the mid way stations on the route; through what is apparently an official rainforest around Tan y Bwlch. I don't know how many times we have been through those woods but they always seem to be lifeless with the occasional birdsong being the only sign of wildlife. This week we saw a pied flycatcher, a first for me, he let the side down by being seen by humans. Duty calls so stay safe all.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 16