The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Roundhouse, latest news here is 11am this Friday is a meeting re the strike which will continue until at least then.

In other news a planned bombing of Antwerp station has resulted in 6 arrests today.

We didnt notice much increased security at Bruxelles Midi yesterday. There were entrances closed off and apparently security on persons boarding international services. In Midi itself there didnt seem to be any more Police, securitas or other security persons than previously and I didnt see any military on the concourse.

Edited by lightengine

As a Geordie I did think Craster kippers were the best, but had to admit the Manx ones (Devereaux, not Moores) are better, when I first came here!  Moore's do superb bacon though, smoked in the same smokehouses as the kippers.  Or Kipper's as it says on the sign......

Ian, NHN does indeed promote Stihl garden weapons as being of quality.  Not cheap, but tough and reliable. 

IIRC, Stihl also provide some pretty darned good safety clothing which clogs chainsaws if they get too close to the skin!

• RMweb Gold

Blue Pullmans arrived today.....how on earth can I afford one? I could kick myself for not buying the first time around.  I was living in hope of them doing it in the 'reverse livery' but by the time they get around to that I'll have to sell BOTH kidneys.....

It is a nice model. I got one when they came out a few years ago. I always liked the train. One Christmas my brother got the Triang Blue Pullman and I got a green DMU. So the Bachmann version let me get something I always wanted!

• Like 13

Blue Pullmans arrived today.....how on earth can I afford one? I could kick myself for not buying the first time around.  I was living in hope of them doing it in the 'reverse livery' but by the time they get around to that I'll have to sell BOTH kidneys.....

Can I put first request in, just in case. Only 1.

• Like 6

LightEngine:

You posted this a couple of days ago:

"Just so it's out there... And everyone knows... Brighton Depot has 116 conductors W/C 22/05/2016;

Out of the 116...

6 are on Annual Leave
15 are on Block Rest Days
And 4... Yes 4 are sick!!!

You 4.... Are to blame for this weeks cancelled trains!!

"

Then Southern Failways posted:

http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/southern-releases-conductor-sickness-figures/

I know that there are several depots on the Brighton - Southampton - Victoria routes; how do the rest compare?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A good evening in the garage finishing the wiring mods to Fort Myers.

Then into the conservatory for a bit of Train watching at Rochelle whilst fitting N scale profile couplings to my FGW HST set.

We need to be able to get to Brussels airport early Saturday so need to watch out what happens Re the strike. Our hotel is near Centraal so presumably we will have take thr Metro from Midi tomorrow night?

• Like 12

Too true! While I'm pleased to be a Soft Southerner (otherwise I wouldn't have met Sherry! Hey, smooth or what?!), both my father and my first wife's father were from the North East. My father in his youth would go with his family to Beadnell - or was it Seahouses? - for a week, and the first thing they did was buy a box of Craster kippers for the dog, meaning they could spend the rest of the money on beer. The dog used to go home with a coat you could see your face in!

I have been a bit part-time the last few days, but Dave's news about Is is pretty unpleasant. Deb had ovarian - ironic in a woman who had no use for her reproductive bits, but it was her primary cancer - possibly triggered by the car crash, although medical science, aided and abetted by a zillion insurance company lawyers, has yet to sign up for any such connection - which may make a difference. I hope something can be sorted. 

According to the meteorologists, this whole week should have been a bit wet here. In fact the first rain fell at 2100 tonight, so the garden has had some treatment with mower, strimmer and hedge-trimmer. I think it was NH Neil who spoke warmly of a Stihl strimmer, and as I was bored with the cheap electric ones that never quite cut the moutarde - or the weeds - I bought one the other day. Suffice to say I today spent 90 mins using it, much longer than my body-beautiful (ha ha) has ever managed to endure the others in one session. But the weather is now here, heavy rain, and thunder has been rolling around for the last hour or so. 

The fuel crisis is here and thinning the already very limited traffic. I filled up locally on Monday, seem to have enough for a couple of weeks now, if I don't go too far. But next Friday is first scrutineering for Le Mans, and if Sherry feels up to it we may drop in for an hour or two, so that will use a bit - about 95km round trip. 

Hope your week looks good for a successful finish.

....once again many thanks for all of your support folks.

Is is weakening now and feeling constantly rough. She has undergone the recommended treatment for this condition and spent a year of her life in & out of hospital. Barring a course of non-chemo treatment as yet unknown to us, she wishes to just make the best of the little time left to her. As her husband I agreed to these terms when she embarked on the initial chemo etc and continually support her as best I can. Most of those friends/family wishing to visit have now had the opportunity. I spend half an hour or so with Is each day whilst on afternoons, before work and have arranged for our vicar to take communion to her. There isn't much dignity available in this situation but we're trying our best.

She has had over 70 happy and healthy years and is desperate to avoid this condition blighting those.

Best regards to all

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

LightEngine:

You posted this a couple of days ago:

"Just so it's out there... And everyone knows... Brighton Depot has 116 conductors W/C 22/05/2016;

Out of the 116...

6 are on Annual Leave

15 are on Block Rest Days

And 4... Yes 4 are sick!!!

You 4.... Are to blame for this weeks cancelled trains!!

"

Then Southern Failways posted:

http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/southern-releases-conductor-sickness-figures/

I know that there are several depots on the Brighton - Southampton - Victoria routes; how do the rest compare?

I copied it from Facebook from an employee. I cant vouch for the validity or source but would guess that if it is being quoted that there is at least a modicum of truth in it.

I copied it from Facebook from an employee. I cant vouch for the validity or source but would guess that if it is being quoted that there is at least a modicum of truth in it.

I am not questioning its authenticity, merely wondering if similar stats could be found from another depots to give the lie to the web link offered.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Polly Ash saplings are coming up like weeds in our garden do you want one?  :no:  :no:

Don

Got 'undreds of 'em, ta!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Another lazy evening.

Tomorrow will be the last day of what seems to be a very looooooong week spent in the orifice, thank god there's a long weekend.

Dave. Thoughts are with you and Is, don't know what else to say.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

' Night all and nos da.

Sweet dreams WITHOUT sapling infested gardens.

...and who's been messing with the smileys line-up?  No wonder I can't find the one I want.  :banghead:

Now, that could trigger the N IG H T M A R E S...  :scared:

:mosking:

Sleep tight everyone  :bye:

Edit - to change Smiley which didn't post correctly.... :no:

Ah, well...

Edited by southern42
  • Like 10

Well and trully off, I am P1ssed!!!!!!!!! . . Those clever-sh!tes at MyCrow Scoffed, decided, against my better judgement, to upgrade my phaphing computer to Wine Doze Ten. . .NOT HAPPY!!!.  a  whole hour and a half of my life wasted!!!!!

Anyways, a concert at Granddaughter's school was atternded. . . I Had to. . . She was playing second Baritone in the school band. . . .Where did I go wrong????

Thoughts with the poorly, recovering, and hurting. . . .Especially Dave and Is.

Goodnight Everyone. . . . Sleep well.

John

Morning all. A grey start to what could end up being a very long day. Just what I didn't want to happen at the start of a long weekend.

Time for another coffee before heading onto the roads.

Have a good day everyone

Good morning everyone!......I`m sending best wishes for your day.

Having been catching up with recent E.R posts; others, much less fortunate than I have been, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Debs.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Slept in for just a bit and looking forward to a day off. Tidying up some will doubtlessly be required!

Dave, I'm more or less at loss for anything really meaningful to say, even though I'd like to…  :unsure: Speaking only for myself, I'm not sure whether I could accept any beloved one making this sort of decision Is has made with anything like equanimity. I suppose this but could be a topic for a very lengthy discussion, so I'd just like to reiterate my supportive thoughts for you both, and your family, of course.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Very misty here at the moment. Having a mug of tea pre journeying to the home of "Grantham" to do a bit of ballasting.

Dave and Is, I hope that they can keep Is more comfortable and that the sun shines to brighten your remaining time together.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

My apologies for the rain in this area last night. Having put a few plants in we thought they needed watering yesterday evening.  With in half an hour of finishing the clouds rolled up and it started to pour.

We are expecting delivery today of a pallet load of manure and compost all of which will have to be barrowed up a steep slope oh joy!

Enjoy your day.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a still rather grey but brightening village. Thoughts and prayers are with Dave and Is.

John, glad that FiL is improving.

Movement has been heard upstairs so my day will no doubt get organised shortly. In the meantime various tentative plans have been made.

I'm off out this morning to buy some paint for the French house, if I'm careful I may even manage to sneak some floor paint for the Shed/Railway room back home with me. I'm also due to meet someone from WCRC. He approached me at Lancaster asking if I had any photos of a particular footbridge. I replied, " I've got the original construction drawing for I." Anyway the upshot is that he wants a copy of the plans so we're meeting near a motorway junction today. Apparently my research archive is better stocked than either WCRC's or Network Rail's.

Then hopefully I'll be able to get some wiring done this afternoon before heading into Wakefield to visit Tony at the Hospice ad then on to the clubrooms for the evening.

On another tack entirely can any resident computer expert help me. On my old Windows XP desktop, I have Outlook 2002 which contains several years of emails and contact details etc. Does anyone know how to transfer those into Thunderbird on my newer Windows 7 machine. I'm struggling and would welcome a PM is anyone can help.

Jamie

• Like 16