The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Dull on Fraggle Rock after rain overnight that dampened but not flooded.  The kipper fishermen will be out in force today to ensure they have sufficient for the hordes of motorcyclists beginning to invade.  The 'kipper bap on Peel breakwater' run is very popular.  I'm surprised Smiffy's whelkmen don't come up here for the seasonal work, kippers are difficult to locate and catch.

I wonder if the re-built Brighton Belle will have them on the menu - IIRC their withdrawal from the menu at one point in the 70's caused such a riot letters were written to the Times.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Just checked in before taking car to Kendal.  So I've just picked up on Dave's post, and add my own virtual support and thoughts to the many which have already been expressed.

• Like 3

Morning.

Dull on Fraggle Rock after rain overnight that dampened but not flooded.  The kipper fishermen will be out in force today to ensure they have sufficient for the hordes of motorcyclists beginning to invade.  The 'kipper bap on Peel breakwater' run is very popular.  I'm surprised Smiffy's whelkmen don't come up here for the seasonal work, kippers are difficult to locate and catch.

I wonder if the re-built Brighton Belle will have them on the menu - IIRC their withdrawal from the menu at one point in the 70's caused such a riot letters were written to the Times.

I could fair go a Loch Fyne kipper, but I can't seem to find any here.

• Like 1

Also just caught up and like so many others here, wishing that Dave and Is have a good outcome to the latest news. It must seem like one blow after another for you just now. You really deserve some good news for once.

• Like 1

Morning all, there are blue skies here with a few clouds.

Thoughts with Dave and Is.

On a slightly less important note, I have never been a fan of kippers.

Younger Lurker's last day of half term, he has a training day tomorrow.

Have a good day

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning, grey cloud and light drizzle at the moment.

Can only agree with the comments already made re your situation Dave. Thinking of you both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently, Grandadbob, you need Mandarin Ducks, and change the position of your cooker - or not

http://fengshui.about.com/od/glossaryofterms/ss/10-Feng-Shui-Myths-To-Stop-Believing-Now.htm

Nooooooo!

Actually you (or even I) couldn't make it up but after unloading the dishwasher my back seized up and at the moment I'm in agony. Painkillers have been popped but so far can barely sit, stand, walk or do anything so have just sent message to The Boss telling her to get the bus home without shopping.

Not sure where my flak jacket and tin hat are but think I'll need them shortly.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather grey and somewhat damp village. Not a lot to add but thoughts and prayers are with Dave and Is.

Anyway I got to see Tony last night, took my laptop and we had a good hour watching various railway and flying videos that he enjoyed. He seems to be doing very well now that his pain relief is sorted and there is talk of him going to a nursing home.

Here's one of the videos that I showed him. The first ever commercial flight to land at St Helena's new airport.

It seems that some sort of shopping trip is on the cards this morning then I may spend the afternoon doing some wiring.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I did the Ghan when it terminated at Alice Springs, in the seating class. Not a very pleasant trip and the scenery is pretty monotonous. you couldnt drink alcohol at your seat but couldnt eat food in the buffet. No flip down table on the seats to put the takeaway food on.

I looked at doing the whole route to Darwin but its very expensive even in seating these days let alone in a sleeper berth.

Edited by roundhouse

Just caught up from yesterday, my problems are so trivial. Thoughts to Dave and Is.

Eyes feel like sandpaper this morning after visit to the optician yesterday. The machine reported higher than normal and worrying pressures. Manual testing showed that the machine was 'over enthusiastic' and everything was normal after all, much to my relief. Did I ever mention ...

Money back from Maplins no problem. Phone working on a 'temporary number' but still b****y useless as the number still hasn't transferred.

Meanwhile I realised that it's time to put the sprouts on for Boxing Day...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile I realised that it's time to put the sprouts on for Boxing Day...

Sir, how could you be so cruel to that most wondrous of vegetables?   :nono:  There should be a law against that sort of thing!

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Don't joke, HB. SWMBO has already started planning homemade craft-based presents. 212 days in advance.

Domestic maintenance activity went well. Not only did I do all the washing an ironing, but I also cleaned the inside of the washing machine, eventually ridding all of the grooves in the door seal of black mold and suspicious looking wads of matted hair and sludge. Nice.  I suspect I do more hot washes and rinses to keep the thing clean than I do in actually washing any clothes. A colleague describes such gadgets as "self-licking lollipops".  

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The sun is shining (at the moment, the management has departed to do some community gardening, I am tasked with emptying and reloading the washing machine and sundry other domestic tasks.

Have a good day folks

Mind your back Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I didn't log in earlier. I was chatting to Matthew instead. He was a bit grumpy last time we spoke (lack of progress beyond his control on research project). Still no progress but he has a plan B in progress. His tutor is busy with migrant advisory work for the EU so she is temporarily unavailable. At least he is cheerful again. He is having a day off tomorrow as a friend from Calgary will be visiting.

My success at getting my new backup drive to talk to anything other than a Mac lasted for one reboot of the Windows PC. This was annoying. I have solved it by altering one of the setup parameters on the backup drive. Once upon a time I would have worried about altering something I didn't understand but now it works I can read about SMB protocols or perhaps not bother.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Still chilly here and now with added scotch mist - great!

Successful day yesterday - the Borders Rail trip there and back was wonderful - passed a new class 68 at the head of enpty Mk2 Scotrail coaches at Millerhill. Anyone know what route they're used on?

Light lunch at Balmoral Hotel sumptuous, but meal at Beefeater evening meal spoiled because of staff shortages and brusque manager, but don't think my mum noticed!

Hope your day goes well

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mind your back Mike.

I have tried to Bob.  However I did wonder if I'd made a major error as the Head Gardener congratulated me ( :O  :O  :O  :O ) on the manner in which i had hung the washing on the line and had got to the third load by the time she returned. But fortunately my fears were unfounded as she then went to the washing line and started moving stuff about so clearly my competence level has not improved sufficiently to give me serious worries about future tasking.

Mind you I did think your way of avoiding management instructions was a bit serious, not the sort of thing I'd like  (as when it does happen to me I need assistance to get straightened up) but for all that absolutely genuinely and believable by the one who needs to believe.  Hope a lot of TLC and minimal domestic activity result in a sufficiently good improvement to enjoy the barbecue etc while you will clearly be unfit for domestic duties for some days.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

TLC actually being given as she knows that I don't pretend to be in pain (I used to play rugby, not soccer) and I only take Tramadol as a last resort. Trying to move around as that seems to help a bit but there will be no hard labour from me for a while.

• RMweb Premium

I just bought a model train..... :secret: 

Many thanks to Bill for kindly answering a number of queries and putting me back on the right track.  

Oh, afternoon Debs, didn't see you there.    :angel:

• Like 2