The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A day where a lot has been achieved but unfortunately no modelling.

My dad is getting to the point of being exhausted looking after mum even with me giving as much help as possible. Mum is having a crisis of confidence about going to my nephews wedding in a couple of weeks. This is one that I can't attend as there is no one to cover my on call. On top of all this, my dad is starting to become very forgetful and I don't know whether it's due to exhaustion, frustration or a form of dementia.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing. Especially Dave and John

• RMweb Gold

Need to research ESTA forms for the US now.

Mick

ESTA is straightforward. Assuming you haven't done any of the naughty list things, especially the moral turpitude if that is still included. Perhaps someone who has been to the US recently can let you know about digital photo on passport requirements. Our latest ones have all the required chips and images. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

Afternoon all,

Trip to Didcot has duly taken place (via the Root One garden centre's cafe of course),  Mr Bishop's (he of this part of the parish) layout 'Höchstädt' duly inspected and indeed part recorded on pixels plus other layouts duly examined, trade stands inspected (ideally quickly less my varied tastes for foreign railways took hold, and took money); a couple of books bought, and a couple of books on German signalling practice fiercely resisted as they were a bit pricey.  We then made our way home via calls at a couple of locations to view the desultory progress with electrification of the GWML on the Reading - Didcot section which was due to commission last September, sorry last Decemeber, oops,  no actually next weekend only to reach the firm conclusion that 'they' might get it commissioned by this September but it would still require a mighty extraction of digits to actually get it done by then to the extent scheduled to go live next Saturday.  Other music hall jokes are available.

Enjoy what's left of the day and all the best to those suffering, being investigated or hopefully now recovering.

Thank you for coming Mike. Setting up Höchstädt was a bit fraught this morning. We normally take two hours the previous day... This was 90 minutes to opening. One point motor had the wires off, another was ready to give up the ghost. Also a wire off on one of the platform lights! The layout ran fine, except for the sick motor needing some TLC. The journey home from Didcot took 2¼ hours (crash in the outside lane of the M4, then the M25 was a traffic jam). Unloaded, took Mike home, ready to crash out.

Best wishes to Dave, John and others.

Bill

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Greetings from the Isle of Wight!!! Not a regular haunt but currently in a rather comfortabke hotel following eldest nephew's wedding.

Wedding went well with tears of joy liberally shed. Long story. Lady wife has three children from previous and very unhappy relationship. Children haven't enjoyed the best of homes but enter Adam into all their lives and things are steadily improving.

Add to the mix the local vintage bys running day, the regular rumblings of 1938 tube stock down the pier and the constant passage of shipping in the Solent and there was no rest for the wicked photographer. Cutting the cake waited, by agreement with the bride and groom, so guests could witness Harmony of the Seas, the world's largest cruise ship, pass on her maiden voyage.

Photographic duty done. Scheduled lift back with sister cancelled as a disabled guest needs help on the train - she's deaf and on crutches - and I'm happy to help.

Thoughts with Dave, Is and all others in need.

Goodnight all.

• Like 19

Jolie Brise in the channel.and entered the river Teign spot on time at 16.00 hours

I was expecting something bigger that didn’t look like a Thames Barge.....................

What is it a Sloop?

Ok, it is a Gaff - Rigged Cutter........

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. Late on parade again today I'm afraid, had a bit of a lie in.

It's been another busy day, after my day off yesterday it was back to the decorating. Although all the painting etc. is finished, I've still got to put everything back. So today has been spent cleaning all the windows, window frames, putting the blinds back up and also refitting the ceiling and wall lights. Both rooms are now starting to look like dining and living rooms. I've still got to put back the curtains, mirrors, paintings and restock the bookcase, but that can been done a little at a time.

I had a good look at yesterday's purchase this morning, and closer inspection it is in fact a Roger Chivers Kit and not a Jidenco Kit as I first thought! It was amongst a few kits and I assumed they were all Jidenco.

I've not read all of today's posts, I'll try and catch up with them tomorrow.

John. That's great news about your FiL.

Dave. Fingers crossed for Is.

Anyway I'm off to bed as, joy of joys, I'm in the office tomorrow, can't wait.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

This was posted on Facebook tonight. Train crew truths to outwit Southern Railways lies.

"Just so it's out there... And everyone knows... Brighton Depot has 116 conductors W/C 22/05/2016;

Out of the 116...

6 are on Annual Leave

15 are on Block Rest Days

And 4... Yes 4 are sick!!!

You 4.... Are to blame for this weeks cancelled trains!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This was posted on Facebook tonight. Train crew truths to outwit Southern Railways lies.

"Just so it's out there... And everyone knows... Brighton Depot has 116 conductors W/C 22/05/2016;

Out of the 116...

6 are on Annual Leave

15 are on Block Rest Days

And 4... Yes 4 are sick!!!

You 4.... Are to blame for this weeks cancelled trains!!

There was a conductor on line earlier who said his train was reported by Southern as cancelled due to conductor being sick. However he was on duty ready to be on the train but it was cancelled for other reasons not reported.

Recently there have been some trains supposedly being cancelled due to 'conductors and drivers being sick'. There was another train cancelled for part of its journey (journey already shortened due to engineering works at Ford)  on the Arun valley , National Rail site said due to 'shortage of conductors'. Another site said it was due to a 'planning error'.

It is quite common these days to get different reasons for the same train being cancelled, sometimes a different reasom from both platform staff, on trian staff and national Rail.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Youngest daughter back in Leeds after a pleasant visit. She hopes to arrange time off for her sister's  birthday next month.

Apart from taking her to Durham station, I've had a quiet day at home. . .Naice . . . . . . 

Thoughts with the poorly, recovering, and hurting.

Goodnight everyone . . . . Sleep well.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 14

Here's a funny thing.

post-25691-0-51224500-1463972267_thumb.jpg

I don't know about you, but I hate crawling around under baseboards attaching things like point motors.

So I thought this might work.

post-25691-0-56984200-1463972284_thumb.jpg

The tube bit mounts from above and the servo bit plugs in underneath. Still need to make the drive shaft.

• Like 6

Morning all. A bit of a grey start with a chance of getting wet later.

I didn't sleep well last night probably due to too many things on my mind. Breakfast consumed and I've already started on my second coffee of the day. Many more may be required thanks to having to go to Watford before heading to Barking. Deep joy.

Polly - Thanks for the photos. It looks like an interesting day was had.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 4

Morning All,

I wonder where the weekend went?  I had it here a second ago!

Oh well - the weather was pretty good over the weekend, so we got outside and did a bit of gardening.  It has been raining overnight, and the weather is quite gloomy this morning, so it looks like the best of the weather was over the weekend for once.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny village.   The cats are begging for their breakfast and the boss is still asleep.    Various household and modelling tasks today.  The main one is to rearrange the shed so that I can get two baseboards out of the car.  As the weather forecast is good that sounds like a good way to spend part of the morning till the boss gets back from Asda.

Regards to all the sick and ailing.   I'll be visiting Tony again this evening en route to the clubrooms for a talk.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Damp out.

Aditi is taking her car to Denton for its annual service. I will follow on to give her a lift home.

We may do some shopping on the way back.

Otherwise not a lot happening.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A lovely morning. However ot put a dampener on it quite a few trains cancelled due to staff shortage including Thameslink.
Ours is cancelled due ot a fault on the train.

Another Delay Repay going in. Thats two to do at the moment.

Edit Thamselink wedged. Reigate Southern service cancelled so it's sitting in platform 1 and GWR service reversing in platform 2 which in turn is delaying things hence playing platform shuffle.

New names for GTR anyone such as Govias Terrible Railway or Gone To Ratshi....

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Greetings from the Isle of Wight!!! Not a regular haunt but currently in a rather comfortabke hotel following eldest nephew's wedding.

Wedding went well with tears of joy liberally shed. Long story. Lady wife has three children from previous and very unhappy relationship. Children haven't enjoyed the best of homes but enter Adam into all their lives and things are steadily improving.

Add to the mix the local vintage bys running day, the regular rumblings of 1938 tube stock down the pier and the constant passage of shipping in the Solent and there was no rest for the wicked photographer. Cutting the cake waited, by agreement with the bride and groom, so guests could witness Harmony of the Seas, the world's largest cruise ship, pass on her maiden voyage.

Photographic duty done. Scheduled lift back with sister cancelled as a disabled guest needs help on the train - she's deaf and on crutches - and I'm happy to help.

Thoughts with Dave, Is and all others in need.

Goodnight all.

Enjoy your visit to the IOW . The Tube stock seemed bizzare when walking the dogs through Borthwood Copse (best place for seeing Red Squirrels) or along the old railway now cycle track and to hear the soft tone of the whistle/hooter and the distinctive rattle as the train crossed the Brading Marshes.

Don

• Like 13