The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. Possibly good.

Here on the Riviera it is grey and a bit damp. The whelkmen will stay abed, and good luck to them.

Best wishes and thoughts to Is, Dave, Big Jim and John's FIL. The universe is a cruel and random place.

At breakfast Julie and I decided we both need a day off. From what we aren't sure, but we are finding it hard to relax at the moment. Things at #1 son's seem to be settling now that he has shucked off the insane work schedule. In his first week 'off' he has taken on a new pupil for drumming lessons and has a reasonably large soundtrack commission, so he can work at things he really likes doing.

Talking to Daisy's mother yesterday and it seems that Daisy is finding friendships a bit hard at times - her friends play with her but she wants more complex, older play. I can remember that so well from my own childhood, and I think I need to have another word with her. 

Today is a bit of Monty, watching the Cup Final and finalising the menu and shopping orders for the week after next. I've been on a strict food logging and planning regime since January. I've lost over 6 kilos and my blood sugars have returned to less-than-dangerous levels, but it means being obsessive, keeping spreadsheets and strict ordering (wandering round supermarkets impulse buying is out). For example I have completely cut out between-meals eating, helped by a new diabetes treatment which has suppressed my hunger just enough to make willpower available. I feel that a freezer audit (another spreadsheet) is coming on. 

So have a good day, wherever and whatever you face. 

• Like 1

My MiL is only 13 years older than me.

Apart from her I’m the eldest in my family, which is scary. I lost all mine (close family) within a ten year period. Unfortunately as we get older death becomes a fact of life..... strange to say.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a village north of, well, everywhere on this land!

Morning duties have included taking scrap doors to the tip for Jayne (who has finally started doing some positive things) and a visit to a nearby nursery (plant type) for some planty things with SWMBO, who discovered they have a bumper crop of strawberries too - I don't like them, but I am told they are very good.  Apparently this nursery supplies local trade with strawbs and tomatoes, hadn't realised that as well as the usual public plant and compost bit.

Richard, as you will gather my grasp of written English is tenuous at best. Apparently VPN means Very Poorly Neil, as I still have the killer head cold and cough from last week!

Another goodie loco arriving tomorrow from the recently donated treasure trove at Groudle, not the sort of thing I usually buy.  It's a Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 in the un-prototypical BR lined maroon livery that 46441 carried for a while, a club special limited release I think.  It just looks so nice I had to have it, bargain price too!  Locoholic attack.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dear Written English Police, why is it that the plural of tomato is tomatoes (which I think looks wrong), not tomatos?  Torpedo is the same IIRC.  Torpedoes....just looks wrong!! :scared:

Maybe some of Charlie's dyslexia is rubbing off on me! :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Richard, as you will gather my grasp of written English is tenuous at best. Apparently VPN means Very Poorly Neil, as I still have the killer head cold and cough from last week!

In mitigation M'lud, I'd like to point out that the defendant is a proper engineer, and as we all aware, proper engineering and the use of the Queen's English, especially in the written form, are not compatible.

However, should M'lud wish to know how to best verbally address a situation using profanity, then an engineer, having struck himself on the thumb with a large hammer, would be a most excellent tutor.

I would  most humbly suggest that therefore there is no case to answer.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another goodie loco arriving tomorrow from the recently donated treasure trove at Groudle, not the sort of thing I usually buy.  It's a Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 in the un-prototypical BR lined maroon livery that 46441 carried for a while, a club special limited release I think.  It just looks so nice I had to have it, bargain price too!  Locoholic attack.

If a loco could be described as "pretty", 46441 in maroon is it. Usually referred to as "Dr Beet's Little Red Engine" when it was at Carnforth.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I was awake earlier but didn't post for some reason. I did get called down to sort out a technical problem. Aditi said she had done something to the television. It wasn't the television it was the Sky Box. I fixed that and she was happy that she could carry on watching a Gardeners World while doing some ironing.

Apart from that I have done very little.

• Like 11

Right, that's it then, another visit to China draws to a close. We're just about to leave the hotel for the night flight back to the sandpit and I can't say that I'm sorry to be leaving!

We'll see if the peeps at the airport have managed to keep my company iPad safe or I'll be getting a bill!

Only 9hrs flight time, it'll pass in a jiffy.

Nite nite all, someone pls have a cold one for me.

• Like 1

We are now off to gather at the hospital. May or may not be as serious as it sounds. Could be the side effects of medication.

Back home - for the time. FIL has had catheter fitted - there was water retention and possible prostate problem, so that's a next week problem, But he fell and as he's on warfarin he had to have a head scan and they believe they've found bleeding on his brain. Cue neurological consultant at Walsgrave (he was taken to Nuneaton) to review what should be done. There then comes the issue of where as the stroke ward at Nuneaton is full with two waiting, so wherever there's a space.

We'll know more later.

We have been to collect his dog - so  now we have a small Jack Russell alongside our own two.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't that be "chickwomble"?

One of them nearly got me yesterday. Phone jammed on one ear with one hand and cup of coffee in other hand while making an illegal left turn.

I saw a lady on the phone today. Nothing new there, of course - but she was driving a bus at the time, at 90 kph.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. Currently sat at Dublin Airport waiting for boarding while it's raining outside. I'd have expected my 071 model to attract curious looks at the security scan but I suppose the inspectors there (at any airport, for that matter) get to see all sorts of even more unusual stuff every day. Probably even things which can make it rather hard not to chuckle in front of passengers! :jester:

Best wishes to everyone, especially those of us under the weather for any reason!

• Like 15

Dear Written English Police, why is it that the plural of tomato is tomatoes (which I think looks wrong), not tomatos?  Torpedo is the same IIRC.  Torpedoes....just looks wrong!! :scared:

Maybe some of Charlie's dyslexia is rubbing off on me! :jester:

Having had spellings such as "tomatoes", "potatoes", etc. drilled into me at primary school along with the rightness and wrongness of many other things, and having, in middle age, painfully learned a few words of Spanish for use on holiday, the misspelling "torpedos" now looks, to me, as though it ought to be preceded by the definite article "los"... 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

A trip to town, then to GB Junk antiques - neither provided anything of an interest. 

Dave - it never rains but .....I do hope that you both get to the bottom of things.

I'll pop back tomorrow for a longer post, hopefully, but meantime generic greetings are the best I can do.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9

Afternoon all, Just back from the Vets, and we have had to have our 12 year old Greyhound, Sally PTS. She had Kidney failure and hasn't eaten properly for a couple of weeks and not at all for the last two Days. Dee and I are quite upset and Lala is missing her already. Several wins at Monmore Green and Coventry until she retired at 5 years old, and we have had her ever since.

post-9335-0-00585500-1463846147_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02834400-1463846472_thumb.jpg

RIP Babe's

FIL - they're going to have to operate on his brain - the prognosis is reasonably good. If he hadn't been strong enough and fit enough they would't operate, so that's a bonus. He's a strong old bird - was on the D Day landings on a ship as a radar operator, later got shot and was transferred  by breeches buoy to a hospital ship.

We wait and see.

And thanks for listening - it helps. And thanks for all you support.