The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Later this month the Jolie Brise will visit Teignmouth harbour. The namesake of our Wetherspoons pub is owned by a public school and will call into Teignmouth whilst on a voyage further afield. “Jolie Brise,” is a 22m-56’ gaff rigged pilot cutter built in 1913. She is one of the most famous tall ships in the world and she is visiting the Teign on May 22nd.

I can never fathom out why Jolie Brise is referred to as a 'tall ship'?

Certainly she would be more aptly referred to as an 'Old Gaffer'.

My understanding of a tall ship is where the sailing team have to climb into the rigging to effect any changes to sail setting.

Pilot cutters where inevitably manned by a very small crew, (in my great grandfather's case, himself, a mate and a 'boy', (who was an apprentice) and by necessity had to be nimble and manoeuverable.

Everything had to be controlled from deck level, quickly, and often in the dark or treacherous sea conditions.

The above should not detract the fact that Jolie Brise is a real beauty and sails very well as evidenced by her post working life racing pedigree.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Very sad news about Is from Dave, its at times like this that its very hard to put into words what one feels. Jock could allways seem to find the right words, he is sorely missed already. 

Dave, am thinking of you and Is.  As Phil says above, Jock would have had the right words, but hopefully all the support from ERs will in some way help you.

The warm weather has finally reached West Cumbria!  I have been out in shirtsleeves this morning chopping wood and cutting grass.  More external work to follow, tennis elbow permitting.

Having hoped to go out early to vote yesterday, it started to drizzle so I left it until I returned home from the MRC at 9pm.  The polling station staff seemed to think that they had had a fairly good turnout to vote for the Police & Crime Commissioner.  I would have normally put that down to the unpopularity of the current incumbent, but he has stood down, so it wasn't that!

• Like 15

Morning(ish) all from the big blue shed in the boring borough. 

Thinking of Dave and Is. We can but hope there will be more trips to the sea.

The one thing about ERs. One minute the tears are sadness. The next Richard comments about lightning and the tears are of laughter. 

Can we please have more of the latter and less of the former.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I managed to POE despite the Ministry of Silly Rules.  I took advantage of our ten minutes' grace as we sign off electronically some considerable distance from our wash-up / locker area and are therefore unique in the network in being permitted to sign off (not more than 10 minutes) early so we can change and leave on time (and not have to do so later in our own time).

That is utterly trivial compared with Dave's post and the update on Is.  

May I wish you every strength and support in the times ahead.

Developments are afoot to assist and support more specifically in these cases but it's too soon to move just yet and all will become clear in the fullness of time.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Having a few days away in the motorhome and presently sat in a field in Yorkshire with a very iffy wifi connection. So, I may struggle to catch up properly but stay safe all.

Wot - not at the Ffestiniog, Geoff?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dave so very sorry to hear about Is and I do hope, as Andrew has said, that there will be more trips to the sea.

Now then thee zyder drinkers - the stuff I had last night was a cloudy (albeit not very) and sour cider but not scrumpy - in fact a long way from scrumpy in appearance and impact but really just a proper job cider rather than all the filtered stuff which is normally served up under the name.

Agree with HH regarding the Joile Brise - I would hardly call a cutter (even such a nice looking one) a tall ship.  More pertinently we should be all at sea during the 1st leg of the Tall ships event but most likely of the coast of Barry Island (which would make a BBC hat trick for us) rather than in the Channel.  But then last year the ship should have been off Northumberland and we ended up passing Mainin's Isle three times in two days so the annual programme is more for illustration than illumination and intent; we shall see.

Have a  nice day one and all and hoping the 'Sahara Cloud' (according to the Daily Wail) doesn't discommode any hay fever sufferers in its course northwards.

BBC? - two years in a  row so what else could it be but the Bl**dy Bristol Channel

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes to Dave and Is.  Enjoy your time at the seaside.  As you say, you don't know if you'll get there again.

This time, I went to Kew  Gardens in memory of Mum but son was able to come with me which helped turn it into a beautiful and memorable day in which Jock was also brought into the conversation at the bluebell wood.

I'll post some pics this evening.

• Like 7

Aft'noon all,

Many thanks for the support and my usual commiserations for those that ail.

In true Is fashion she insists on taking care of all arrangements in advance for the worst case scenario and I'm left asking whether, as her husband, I'll have any input.

Looks like I'm relegated to The Order of Service....but what an order of service it'll be. Each section of text/hymm will be interspersed with an image of one her favourite places/memories e.g.

Is with Jim, our best man, at Bosheston just before we were married....
post-7795-0-42720800-1462532549_thumb.jpg

Is wandered into my picture at The Valley of the Rocks nr Lynton accidentally but served to improve the balance....one of our first coastal path holidays together but the format was repeated many times over the following years.... 

post-7795-0-88505500-1462532562.jpg

Woody bay at harvest time and looking towards Lynton....fish & chips from Lynton were superb but their flavour was amplified many times when eaten at this viewpoint looking out over The Bristol Channel....

post-7795-0-05180500-1462534543.jpg

Badgworthy water in Doone valley and a chance to rest in the shade with a book.....

post-7795-0-37474700-1462534563_thumb.jpg

I have some work to do to get the sizing/sharpness/resolution right and will work with a photographic studio friend to get all in order for printing.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of scrumpy - many years ago my grandad was in a West Country bar and had a half of scrumpy. He was advised only to have one, but after the first felt fine on his barstool so had a second. Still felt fine in his head but when he got off the stool his legs just gave way and he fell over. A good family laugh.

Mal

When I was young we used to live in Somerset. People trying to get back into their coach back to the Midlands after drinking scrumpy at the end of a day trip used to provide entertainment for the locals. I didn't see this but I remember Dad telling our relations from Birmingham to be careful!

Is it just alcohol content in scrumpy or do wild yeasts have something to do with making people fall over?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Kent has a few orchards, and people there like to think they can brew cider. The name Bob Luck comes to mind. In one pub there was a product called Liquid Dynamite, which was served in very small measures. I stuck to bitter.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

Having spent most of yesterday on my hands and knees, today so far has been the same, filling in the cracks between the floorboards in the dining room yesterday and living room today. Making it already for re-varnishing over the weekend. I bought two tins of floor varnish a couple of weeks ago at a cost of £90.00. It might seem expensive, but it's nowt compared to the cost of over 45 sq m of carpet and underlay! Although my knees may beg to differ.

It's now time for lunch.

Back later.

Afternoon all from Scottish HQ. It's grey but the sun's making a valiant effort to break through the clouds.

First of all, thoughts with Is and Dave. I hope things improve and the order of service isn't necessary for many years, and there's time to add in many more of those photos from walking trips to come.

My oncologist told me yesterday that I should now get on with the business of getting over the chemo and start living life again.

Mal, that's fantastic news. I'm really pleased to hear that!

I know that he had been very worried and stressed about her increasing frailty, and had taken much time and care over choosing a suitable residential home, close to where he lives.

Ironically she moved in on Wednesday.

He feels that at this point she just gave up wanting to carry on living.

My great aunt Gladys was much the same, she was suffering from dementia (she'd called the police as there were intruders in her house, when no-one was there; was convinced someone was stealing from her house...). Unfortunately she was living in Deal (Kent) and we were in Durham and her only living relatives. As a result she went into residential care close to her home, and within two weeks had given up the ghost. She'd had a long life, was still swimming in the sea and going on holiday to Majorca well into her 80s, but when she hit about 91, went downhill fairly rapidly.

We have some great stories about her though (excuse me for using the opportunity to have a ramble!). One time she was frying pork chops for my parents, and told my mum she had a lovely bit of crackling that she was crisping up for Dad. When my mum investigated to see why it was taking so long, it turned out she was attempting to crisp up the absorbent paper from the bottom of the plastic tray.

We took her on holiday to Paris with us (she must have been 88, I think and walked with a stick). She'd spent the whole day holding us up and doddering along. Dad had a video camera with him, which he'd accidentally left recording while we walked around Montmartre (so there's a good 20 minutes of upside down footage of behind Mum and Dad as they walk, complaining about my auntie - thankfully they'd checked watched the footage on a portable tv/miniVHS before showing it to her and were able to swiftly fast forward that bit!). We reached the viewing platform across from the Eiffel Tower in the late afternoon, and Auntie got separated from us. There's video footage of her not using her stick and marching across the plaza like a WRAF cadet to try and find us!

Last memory of that holiday for now. We'd stayed in two hotels in the Loire Valley, near Blois and Orleans (I think), and the wines hadn't suited my auntie at all. We'd tried medium whites, gradually getting sweeter and sweeter in the hotels but they were all too dry for her. Finally we arrived in our last stop in Ranes (about 70 miles north of where Ian (OD) is in La Sarthe), and in desperation we ordered a dessert wine with the meal. She took one sip of this, and declared "Oh no, that's far too sweet!"

Back to reality... Interesting results from the SP elections yesterday. Conservatives having their best electoral performance in Scotland since 1992, Labour in freefall but sticking resolutely to their leader (imho the last thing they need is to change leader again), SNP getting an increase in vote but losing their overall majority in the Parliament and the Greens overtaking the Lib Dems as the fourth party in Scotland. Should make for an interesting Parliament for us, coalition or minority governments are considerably more interesting to work for than outright majorities!

Yesterday we had a total shutdown of TalkTalk broadband in Northern Scotland or I'd have suggested some other Uisge Beatha. maltsters to visit - it died about 1030 and resurfaced sometime after mid-night

Jack, thanks! We were very tight for time for deviations off the A9 on Sunday, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts as to the best ones for future trips! We passed the Ben Nevis Distillery on Saturday, which was shut, and had a look in the Tomintoul Distillery driveway but it wasn't particularly photogenic for the visitors. The Athol Distillery was closed too.

• Like 6

POETS actually happened.

Dave (TG) - I have to agree with Jamie's post as well. Thoughts, hopes and best wishes to both of you.

Mal - Excellent news.

Lunch consumed, coffee partaken of, now time for a doze. I'm shattered.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, and it's glorious sunshine here.

Definitely POETS day here, as we collected our youngest from his week-long trip to an activity centre. He look exhausted beyond belief! 

Now unpacking his stuff; the soap bar has been used.  :O  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Mike, if you were in the Tomintoul area with visitors then the lochnagar distillery is worth a visit; has some kind of castle next door, too.  I'm not enough of an expert to declaim on the relative merit of their product, however. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

My oncologist told me yesterday that I should now get on with the business of getting over the chemo and start living life again.

Mal

Mal. That's really great news, once you feel fit enough, don't delay, life's too short!

Having a few days away in the motorhome and presently sat in a field in Yorkshire with a very iffy wifi connection. So, I may struggle to catch up properly but stay safe all.

Another one from across the border!

We intercept your Wi-Fi you see - can't have any subversion goin on :jester:

Jack, thanks! We were very tight for time for deviations off the A9 on Sunday, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts as to the best ones for future trips! We passed the Ben Nevis Distillery on Saturday, which was shut, and had a look in the Tomintoul Distillery driveway but it wasn't particularly photogenic for the visitors. The Athol Distillery was closed too.

North of Inverness we have The Glen Ord distillery but I'm not sure if they still do tours, the Dalwhinnie at Alness, and the Glen Morangie at Tain . On the Black Isle just north of Inverness there is the Black Isle Brewery - with some good beers and out to the east is the Whiskey Trail with a whole slew of distilleries to keep people happy - I suspect it will involve a "designated driver" to be available though.

Edited by shortliner

Very sorry to hear about Is, Dave, but enjoy your time at the seaside.

The polling place was quite busy last evening at around 8pm, and we popped into the pub then ordered an Indian carry-out. A good evening.

Speaking of scrumpy - many years ago my grandad was in a West Country bar and had a half of scrumpy. He was advised only to have one, but after the first felt fine on his barstool so had a second. Still felt fine in his head but when he got off the stool his legs just gave way and he fell over. A good family laugh.

Mal

....glad to hear that Mal....all good wishes.

Dave

Further on the subject of Scrumpy. In August 2009 I took my then layout Brockley Green SE4 down to the Truro show. On asking one of their club members, "Where is the best place to buy scrumpy?". I was told, "Tesco's" and that was correct. Although I didn't get to actually sample any of my purchases as the two flagons went to my two daughters!  :dontknow:

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 13