The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all at quite an early hour. The day will no doubt be filled with various tasks but the chief allocator of such tasks is still in bed so I am still n ignorance of how the day will be filled. No doubt I will get chance to do a few railway related tasks at some point.

Ian (OD), very sorry to hear about your brother, not a lot that I can say but you will get plenty of support on here.

Chris F hope that your visit to poorly pal goes well.

Last night I went to visit Tony who has been a stalwart of the Long Preston and Green Ayre teams over the years. He is not well and will probably not be with us much longer. Not an easy visit but I did manage to get a few snatches of conversation with him. I'm just glad that he was able to get to see trains running on Green Ayre a couple of weeks ago.

Regards to all

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Sunny but brass monkeys here.

Despite the forecast of rain/sleetand snow I am off to umpire a game at Barnsley CC today. Frabjoy!

Some parcels to post before my trip so without further ado, adieu!

Baz

PS hope Rick's shifts at Flinders are going well!

• Like 4

Morning All,

A belated Happy Birthday to Andy, and sorry to hear about your brother Ian.

We have a bright and sunny morning here, but boy is it cold!  The temperature is back down to around freezing and there was a pretty sharp frost this morning.  I (like many others) was a bit premature getting the summer tyres on the car this year!

Oh well - better get on.  I have some trouble with a suppliers attitude that I need to get sorted out.

Have a good day everyone...

Your visit to your brother, Ian, reminded me too much of my last visit to mine. I sympathize, greatly. The problem is that the point comes where the “medicine" is just as killing as the illness.

I remember discussing one of his Gauge 1 locomotives and the poor chap couldn’t even lift it any more.

I wish you, Sherry and your family, peace.

Pete.

• RMweb Gold

some unusual sounding parping dragged me away from making a chilli to witness this wonderful ensemble heading east jut now

attachicon.gifcrane.jpg

flat car, self propelled crane and a caboose

Made it home last nightmares our train was about 20 minutes late. With so few trains running on th Brighton mainline they put ours behind a stopping Caterham service rather than on the fast lines causing more delays.

Luckily the bus was late and deposit shutting the doors the driver opened them again for two of us.

A little more work on our late friends Seminole a Gulf GP9 as the yellow handrail paint had flaked off. Next weekend we are taking a few of his locos and MOW train to the Exeter Freemo meet. Will be good to see how running again.

Tonight we pack for a long weekend up North. There is a storm forecast over Glasgow due so just hoping our train makes it all the way after work tomorrow night.

Here's hoping we hear some news about Jock soon.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny outside but chilly. I don't think we had the severe frost predicted by the weather forecast.

Robbie has a vets appointment this morning. He seems fine and hopefully just finishing the course of tablets will be all that is required.

Tony

• Like 1

Morning all from the boring borough.

Ian (od). I'm crap at these sort of things but to echo Pete, I hope which ever way things go, your brother has the most comfortable and least painful outcome.

Off in a few hours to Gatwick to collect the MiL. Cage: check, net: check, tranquilliser dart gun: check. That should cover it.

Have a good one.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Off in a few hours to Gatwick to collect the MiL. Cage: check, net: check, tranquilliser dart gun: check. That should cover it.

Have a good one.

At least you haven't got to go to Heathrow.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the boring borough.

Ian (od). I'm crap at these sort of things but to echo Pete, I hope which ever way things go, your brother has the most comfortable and least painful outcome.

Have a good one.

You've forgotten ear defenders.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone. Well it's time for our team monthly meeting, so it's off to the office in Preston soon, oh the fun just never stops. This will be followed by a couple of an on-line assessment plus an on-line driving assessment to, deep joy, overly loady The only up side of all this palaver, is the bacon butty that we'll all get.

Up at the crack with Daisy.

One of the issues at home is that she spends so long over dressing and breakfast that they are late for school/work. Today she was up, washed and dressed in 13 minutes (Julie timed her) and now, two croissants in, she has done her home reading and we are sitting around waiting for it to be time to go to school...

I simply can't get across to her parents that there's nothing wrong with her that more time with them wouldn't cure. It's very frustrating.

Have a great day, all. 

• RMweb Premium

Morning, troops! I seem to have slept fairly well, so as I still have a couple of hours for myself before work, I shall see to making good use of them for summoning additional strength. It seems to be a bit less cool outside, but remains somewhat windy.

Just two more weeks to go till our Ireland trip, too. Speaking of that, if you might have any advice which could help me prepare for driving in left hand traffic, I'd be happy to hear it.

Best wishes and positive vibes as appropriate. Later…

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Just two more weeks to go till our Ireland trip, too. Speaking of that, if you might have any advice which could help me prepare for driving in left hand traffic, I'd be happy to hear it.

Best wishes and positive vibes as appropriate. Later…

The same advice I would give anyone driving on a "different" side of the road. Be careful when setting off in the morning and leaving car parks. I think once you are in traffic it is OK. Will you be in you own car or hiring one there? If in your own, some junctions can be a little more difficult but take your time. When I last went to Ireland (1987)I seemed to spend a lot of time in country lanes that were very narrow.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, a mixture of sunshine and showers here, having a new back door fitted this morning and the two guys doing the work rolled up at 8.30 prompt so it should be all done by late morning.

Otherwise not a lot to report.

Enjou your day folks

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The same advice I would give anyone driving on a "different" side of the road. Be careful when setting off in the morning and leaving car parks. I think once you are in traffic it is OK. Will you be in you own car or hiring one there? If in your own, some junctions can be a little more difficult but take your time. When I last went to Ireland (1987)I seemed to spend a lot of time in country lanes that were very narrow.

Thanks, Tony. We'll have a hire car, so the seating position will match up at least!

• Like 8

Morning all, blue skies over London Bridge with a scattering of clouds.

Company medical this afternoon. Deep breath in and prepare to hear how red wine and black coffee and bacon bagels are not good for me. (at least, not all at once!)

Dom, the other advice I'd give about driving on the "wrong" side of the road is be careful when you get back home again. You'll be surprised at how wrong driving on the right side of the road can feel....

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Dom, the other advice I'd give about driving on the "wrong" side of the road is be careful when you get back home again. You'll be surprised at how wrong driving on the right side of the road can feel....

Especially if your passenger wakes up and tries to tell you that you are on the wrong side!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just spoken with Mum and her garden had a covering of snow. Shes on top of the North downs in Surrey.

A couple of times when we have been in the North Americas (once near Jasper in Canad and another time in the USA) I have driven down the road on the wrong side for them. Both occasions there was no other traffic not even parked cars. Not made that mistake when there is traffic about though.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Just remember, it's not the left hand or right handedness of the road you'll be driving on.....

IT'S THAT FOR ONCE YOU'LL HAVE TO STEER!  :O  :senile:  :jester:

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Waiting for the car to be returned this morning, hopefully before lunchtime then I can fit the replacement mirror and the dashcam.

As Tony said but another point to remember when joining traffic, or even when crossing the road is that its look right-left-right and not left-right-left, very easy to forget. When I visited the States many years ago I momentarily forgot that when leaving a gas station, fortunately a loud blast on a car horn was all that happened, unlike a few years later when a USAF worker from one of their bases in the UK done exactly the same thing resulting in two deaths. 

• Like 3

Mornin'

I was gonna take doggy for a walk to see a steam train today, see post 119911, but real-time trains tells me it's cancelled again.

So I'll delay by an hour, and take him along the canal; there's a pub in that direction :)

Best wishes to all.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a sunny one here, after initial frost on the cars. Hanging baskets are up. 

There's been some recent studies showing that a mother's bond with a child is no stronger than a father's - provided the father puts time in to play.

But the bottom line is that you have to put the time in. From experience children very easily pick up on whether they have your full attention or just a half-hearted attempt.  

Dick, you're doing a great job in trying to sort this out and your grand-daughter will most certainly appreciate it and remember this time fondly.

So, in this vein I spent a while kicking a ball around with my youngest this morning before school. He wanted to go for a cycle ride instead and it took a while for my compromise activity to be accepted. Hey-ho, you can never win!

• Like 15