The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening, and a happy birthday to Andy, and supportive thoughts for Ian, that must have been very hard.

Mike SM, do you have a BP monitor?  I found readings at home very different to those in the surgery, I hadn't realised I had white coat fever but it appears I do. Yes, it's calibrated BTW.  It also brings home how much the BP varies throughout the day, and dependant upon activity. Ahem.

• Like 1

Evening all.  I spent this afternoon at Nick's.  He is very sore after spending two hours on Saturday, lying on his back, jury wiring his layout.  I put up two of his boards and did some work on his scenery.  At some point I've clouted my left hand with a hammer and the knuckle of the fore finger is bl00dy painful.  So, with best wishes to Ian, I'm off.

Bill

• Like 1

Simple question I need to ask just to get it out mi system:

Are HR functions always in need of a left hand to right hand introduction?

Time for this pic again methinks.......post-1525-0-56494000-1461784901.jpg

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening, and a happy birthday to Andy, and supportive thoughts for Ian, that must have been very hard.

Mike SM, do you have a BP monitor?  I found readings at home very different to those in the surgery, I hadn't realised I had white coat fever but it appears I do. Yes, it's calibrated BTW.  It also brings home how much the BP varies throughout the day, and dependant upon activity. Ahem.

At my last visit to the hospital the nurse said my blood pressure was high. I explained that I was one of those people who seemed to respond to medical persons taking my blood pressure. I said if she tried again it would be a lot lower. It was.
  • Like 2

At my last visit to the hospital the nurse said my blood pressure was high. I explained that I was one of those people who seemed to respond to medical persons taking my blood pressure. I said if she tried again it would be a lot lower. It was.

Don't watch the proceedings, look at the wall and think nice things, in short, be calm,collected and far away. It works for me.

Why worry, the week after next I have to give myself an injection, something I've never done but my wife, a retired nurse has volunteered to come out of retirement and do the honours.  Something tells me revenge is a dish best taken cold.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

Don't watch the proceeding, look at the wall and think nice things, in short, be calm,collected and far away. It works for me.

You always try some transcendental medication. It's legal in the state to my left.

• Like 7

Had a great evening. We have taken Daisy for 'respite' for her parents. It's hard to see the little blonde I was teaching to use sharp (kitchen) knives and make galettes this evening (and how to make her Nana a cup of tea) as a family wrecker, but there you go. It's all about context. She made and ate two galettes complète and a honey crêpe, had a shower, I read her some Harry Potter and she went out like a light. We also had a serious talk. She might be writing me a note about what makes her upset and angry at home. Good job I used to do this for a living.

Speaking of which a bit of inspired detective work has found me the email address of a colleague I haven't seen for about 15 years, and we've had a nice chat. So it's been a decent evening so far.

Ian - sorry to hear your news. I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling, and as others have said I don't know what I'd do in similar circumstances. I don't think I'd be Jock-like.

Sleep well.

Ian - sorry to hear your news about your brother. I suspect I would do a Jock (Dylan Thomas' "Do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light" springs to mind) but not everyone has that fight. Speaking of Jock, I'm really pleased our good wishes have been passed on. Thank you!

Dick - I'm sure you'll get Daisy to open up and I hope she can get back home to a stable family life soon but until then I'm sure you'll be a loving and stable support to her.

I'm having issues with Jamie's mum at the moment, to the extent I've got an appointment next week with the CAB to get some advice about my rights (and Jamie's rights) as Jamie's mum won't allow her to stay overnight at my flat. It's been an ongoing issue for the last 3 years but GF is now giving me some support. Not pleasant though, and stressful.

• RMweb Gold

Good point Neil - strangely I had been wondering about getting and this might be the very spur to do so as my colour for an hour or two this morning suggests that it was very low.  Anyway chicken casserole and dumplings for dinner this evening has helped improve my feelings towards the world and i shall shortly be retiring to a pile of pillows which will have me sleeping near upright.

So g'night all

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. It's been quite a relaxing night hear at BSW01 ruinsfo a change, not a lot done, but it's nice to sit down a chill, something that we really don't do enough of, truth be told.

I'm off now to rest my weary head, and don't think it'll take to long to get to sleep either.

So I'll bid you all a goodnight.

Morning all. The first task after breakfast and coffee is to de-ice the van. For some reason I slept well last night and feel better than I have for weeks. Still plenty of coffee to consume though.

Have a good day everyone

Good morning one and all, and most sorry to learn Ian's news.

Apart from slicing a few mushrooms the food prep is done for the visit to Poorly Pal.  Before I set off I had better check on the strawberry plants as it looks like a very sharp frost.  Brrr again.

Petethemole, I shall take great pleasure in giving Ampthill your regards on Sunday!  I've not been around long enough to recall Ampthill Morris.  These days the home team is Redbornstoke Morris, with a guest appearance by Hemlock who process over the hill with flaming torches.  It is a joyful event, as is sitting down with friends to a pint and a fry-up at 7 am.  Many would recoil with horror at the very idea of real ale at that hour and, to be honest, there are times when I do too.  I have a tale to tell about early morning beer.  On my way to the Epsom show one year I had breakfast at the 'Spoons on Victoria station.  A couple of guys were most disgruntled that they could not have alcohol before 8 am.  What happened to 24 hour opening, they muttered.  When 8 am arrived they dashed to the bar and ordered ... Fosters.  Oh dear.  Lads, if you are going to drink, do it properly.

As I have been typing this Sir David Attenborough, no less, has been describing a ###### on the radio.  Quite a noisy one, it seems.  I wonder what will be on Tweet of the Day tomorrow?

Let our thoughts be once again with the ailing, supporting, recovering, grieving and missing.

Chris

EDIT: ruddy profanity filter!  Does it not know that a S H A G is a type of cormorant?   Hilaire Belloc wrote: "The common cormorant or s h a g Lays eggs inside a paper bag" and other lines which I forget

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 13