The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Beautiful sunny start to the day here. Still chilly out of the sun though.

Eye quite sore and very bloodshot this morning. Hope that is normal after the op and improves over the next few days. Will have to ... erm..... keep an eye on it.

I hope that those on, or going on various trips, long or short, have an enjoyable and relaxing time.

Have a good Frday.

Miserable grey day here in sunny Teignmouth. Rain like heavy mist, you cant really see it but its falling and you'll get wet.

Wanted to get to Torquay but may defer that. Torquay in the rain is worse than Torquay in the sun and as it was only a shopping trip it can wait.

Still got central heating on at various points of the day. When will the solar warmth arrive?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I feel for AndrewC, I have a horrible feeling that the meeting will be cancelled at the last minute after the chance of POETS has passed, thats from previous experience. Mind you that only happened once and the perpetrator soon left to inflict his misery elsewhere. Bit late here this morning, not that I was a late riser just late switching on my computer. Have a good POETS day today all those who can POE. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 11

Lonnie Mack also died yesterday..... “Memphis” “Suzie Q” “Wham!” - inspirational to many British guitarists in the ’60’s.

Sorry took a call.

What is really frustrating is that with all the innovators dieing what are we left with in the end (of the generation)?

A bunch of boy band singers where the average man in the street has a more talented a$$hole....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sitting quietly in a bar (not open) waiting to disembark. Not sure how they work out who gets off first but it isn't us! We are comfortable and have plenty to Read. This morning the ship seemed to be full of people who couldn't use lifts without causing chaos. AndrewC's descriptions were nearly used.

Tony

It is at such times that I start singing, in my head, 'Blockbuster' by the glam rock band 'The Sweet'.

However, I remove from the chorus, 'to Block Buster' and inset 'to C*ck Womble'.

It makes me smile.

I note you're all singing it now!

• Like 5

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I feel for AndrewC, I have a horrible feeling that the meeting will be cancelled at the last minute after the chance of POETS has passed, thats from previous experience. Mind you that only happened once and the perpetrator soon left to inflict his misery elsewhere. Bit late here this morning, not that I was a late riser just late switching on my computer. Have a good POETS day today all those who can POE. Bye for now, be back later.

These meetings have a habit of happening. Trouble is they waffle on. Instead of a fast 20 minute status update they usually drone on for an hour. Scott Adams of Dilbert fame said it best. "Avoid meetings with time wasting morons"

• Like 3

A beautiful day in Edinburgh yesterday which happened to be our 37th anniversary. Gabe took me to the Sheraton spa; no special treatments but the workout in the laconium, sauna and steam rooms really scrubbed my brain clean with the deep relaxation. The indoor and outdoor rooftop pools, the latter in bright sunshine, also fab. Then a short walk to George Street where we had a meal outside (yes, outside) in the warm spring sun. Took a 26 to beachside at Portobello and a pint, then home for a curry. Wonderful day.

Really sad to hear about Victoria Wood and Prince. Victoria was pretty subversive in her comedy which was great. Hearing the gag about her dyslexic boyfriend who adored her vinegar is something else! ;) Love Prince's guitar work, especially on Gold and Purple Rain; wrote some fab songs for others - the first that springs to mind is Manic Monday. Saw him around 10 years ago at Meadowbank, fab show. Both were far too young.

Overcast this morning and weather forecast says it'll be chilly for the weekend.

Hope you all have a good day today

Mal

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The parcel from China arrived today. I now have to modify the contents to fit the laser cuts.

Unfortunately I'm giving map reading tutorial tomorrow for a group of Bronze award D of E participants, so today is mainly taken up sorting out maps and making sure there are a number of features recorded with their respective 4 and 6 figure grid references which they will be tasked to find.

I'll take the magnetic compasses along, but they'll only be using them as romers; the practical compass work is done on 01 May.

All this map reading training, and other family and household matters mean, that there is no garden railway nor Project 'C' worked planned until Monday at the earliest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Coo ee, is it ok to come out? Or are they still talking about pdp11's?

I thought pdp's were personal development plans.

Thank god, I thought it was just me.

It is at such times that I start singing, in my head, 'Blockbuster' by the glam rock band 'The Sweet'.

However, I remove from the chorus, 'to Block Buster' and inset 'to C*ck Womble'.

It makes me smile.

I note you're all singing it now!

You could always sing “Little Willie” - straight...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

You've all forgotten that if AndrewC's meeting is cancelled, the cancellation will happen just after a points failure at New Cross. If it happens, the points failure will be deferred until the end of the meeting, as a special weekend present from Southeastern.

• RMweb Premium

It was quite cold working by the hedgerows in middle of nowhere this morning, hedgerows don't offer much warmth, and that breeze was a bit cooler than I expected too.

However, I did manage POETS day finish to the day, although I still have to input all the test results from todays work yet, but that won't take too long.

Just waiting for SWMBO to finish the ironing then I'll go and join her for lunch, and the sun is shinning too!

• Like 11

POETS has happened for a change and I'm home already.

AndrewC - Yes, definitely Shooters Hill SE18. In fact you can't miss where I have been working, a whacking great tower at the top of the hill. I've lost count of how many times I've been up those bl**dy stairs.

Richard - There are times when I can go off people rapidly. I've now got one of those cursed earworms.

• Like 5

POETS has happened for a change and I'm home already.

AndrewC - Yes, definitely Shooters Hill SE18. In fact you can't miss where I have been working, a whacking great tower at the top of the hill. I've lost count of how many times I've been up those bl**dy stairs.

Richard - There are times when I can go off people rapidly. I've now got one of those cursed earworms.

Good thing I waved then. The Bull pub nearby the tower is pretty good for ale. Bit rough and ready but a friendly enough place as long as you don't support Millwall.

Enjoy your POE afternoon.

• Like 9

As Pete mentioned, Prince was a good guitarist, but I also remember reading somewhere that he was able to play over 20 different instruments.  Although I was never really a fan, there is no denying that he had a huge influence on music and can be counted within that select group of greats.

Have a good day everyone...

If possible Prince would record 100% of all instruments on his recordings - when the creative juices were flowing but he’d probably end up with 90% on the finished product.

So yes he could play a lot of stuff but he really was a virtuoso on guitar.

On the BBC World Service this am the guys played one of his solos by itself - it sounded like Prince was channeling both Jimi Hendrix and Paganini - it was that good.

My keyboard talents are rudimentary (and I have to program drums) but I played everything on this (for a splatter movie from the Tisch/NYU Film unit). Now because I working fast and was doing them a favor I even played the guitar part on the computer (from sample by a rather good Dobro player).

It all works:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=827583&songID=7247680

Oh, for the ending I re-amped the guitar part through a random noise generator.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

Yes! Except if I remember he did it with  wood  chisels (incl. a complete Wedding Party)! Good fun if you are weird - the sounds effects appeared whenever he was close by - gave it an edge.

Very low budget....no power tools....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ugh.  Not my cup of black pudding.  Your spooky music sets the scene well though!

I do have a chainsaw though......

Bike club produced 4 bikes, none of whom were going very far, so I had a solo ride about, had soup and a sarnie in Laxey, it is a splendid day.

Gardening beckons now though, might see if I can find my garden railway!

• Like 13

Off soon to Romford, to set up Ashbury for the I&WE show this weekend.

No meet with Tony this year.

I'll be in SE18 on Monday, a meeting at the Greenwich ambulance station ..... probably bouncing up and down on Annie.

Bill

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The daftest thing I ever came across with meetings was a BRB edict in the early 1990s that in order to prove 'the railway' cared about safety every meeting had to have an agenda item for safety and that it had to be at the top of the agenda.  Load of total nonsense of course because it turned the subject into a laughing stock where you had to think up things to list under the heading.

My slightly anarchic boss in TLF hit on the very sensible idea of making it the last item on the agenda and because our meetings inevitably involved some of us travelling (we were based in Swindon, Crewe and York, and had every third meeting 'away from the railway environment' if we could) it usually meant that the last item was deferred to the next meeting.  This in turn meant that safety related items were only discussed when there was actually something to discuss - far more effective as it happened.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The daftest thing I ever came across with meetings was a BRB edict in the early 1990s that in order to prove 'the railway' cared about safety every meeting had to have an agenda item for safety and that it had to be at the top of the agenda.

Our monthly team briefings ALWAYS start with this, usually an absolute load of carp, but it ticks a Bluddy box.

• Like 6