The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all.

Another sunny day in East Lancs - two in a row - woohoo.

Off to the unknown territory East of the Pennines, on missionary work. If I'm not back in three days, call out a search party...

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

Mornin' all.

Off to the unknown territory East of the Pennines, on missionary work. If I'm not back in three days, call out a search party...

Cheers,

Mick

I've alerted the border guards! :D

• Like 2

Morning all from the borough of boringness. Another day of remote working due to my f***ing dodgy knee. Only 15 days until the MiL arrives. SWMBO is starting to get stressed. So much left to clear and clean and I'm mostly out of commission. Hopefully with enough codeine in my system I'll be able to move around enough to get the new day bed assembled.

On the good news front, I'm now the proud owner of another discarded laptop from SWMBO's office. Every so often they upgrade their equipment then offer the remaining junk to staff. In the past I've taken several non-working ones to make one good laptop out of them, used it for the layout, etc, then donated them to a group in Deptford that recycles the parts. This is the first one I've had in perfect working order. It means the ancient HP I currently use for JMRI can be retired and recycled now.

Hopefully we will get some good news about Jock soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all.

Cheers,

Mick

Don't forget the blankets and food parcels.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another bright and sunny day here but according to the forecast its downhill all the way after tomorrow, just in time for the weekend. I've a busy weekend planned as my ticket for the Acton Town open day arrived earlier this week so thats Saturday spoken for and Sunday I hope to go to the exhibition at Romford. Thoughts are with the ailing and/or missing, be back later.

• Like 12

Morning all. Bright and sunny here, and warming up nicely. Slept well after yesterday's labours - but!

Because Julie & I were both knackered yesterday evening, and because we'd forgotten to get any food out of the freezer we ordered a takeaway curry. I tried to keep the damage down by having naan instead of rice, but my blood glucose this morning was up to 10, from its usual 6-7! And I'm seeing Nurse Betty tomorrow with my log. I suspect there may be a bit of 'I told you so...'.

Apart from that a day of woodwork and Monty stretches in front of me - just as soon as I've had another coffee...

Have a good day, all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So far all is going to plan and I'm currently at my 3rd site Padgate where I'm having a cuppa and its only just gone 10 o'clock, so bang on target for an early finish. Maybe home in time for lunch, fingers crossed.

• Like 14

gordon s, on 20 Apr 2016 - 09:12, said:

Jackie has just told me the fridge is 19 today.  I wonder if I've hurt it's feelings by not buying a card....

It's certainly not talking to me.

At least the cake will stay fresh. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Given the family friendly setting here, I probably shouldn't say I was imagining some other, erm, missionary work… :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a sunny one here today.

Quick update on Jock. I've done some low-key phoning around, without of course contacting his family.

The evidence suggests that Jock is still with us, although it is difficult to find any more detail. 

My best guess is that he is in hospital and without access to the internet. 

Andy

• Like 5

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another bright and sunny day here but according to the forecast its downhill all the way after tomorrow, just in time for the weekend. I've a busy weekend planned as my ticket for the Acton Town open day arrived earlier this week so thats Saturday spoken for and Sunday I hope to go to the exhibition at Romford. Thoughts are with the ailing and/or missing, be back later.

I posted this:

"Hello fellow beer appreciaters!

I'm venturing to Essexland to visit this show next weekend:

http://www.iwemrc.or.../exhibition.asp

Of course it won't take all day, so recommendations of outlets serving quality beer in the locality, or indeed anywhere between there and Liverpool Street, will be well received.

Thanks in advance."

Over in the beer thread of RMWeb; AndrewC of ER's has given me some useful info for the London end, but beyond that nothing :(

So, I wondered if any ER's can help; Phil's post, as quoted, prompted me :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I posted this:

"Hello fellow beer appreciaters!

I'm venturing to Essexland to visit this show next weekend:

http://www.iwemrc.or.../exhibition.asp

Of course it won't take all day, so recommendations of outlets serving quality beer in the locality, or indeed anywhere between there and Liverpool Street, will be well received.

Thanks in advance."

Over in the beer thread of RMWeb; AndrewC of ER's has given me some useful info for the London end, but beyond that nothing :(

So, I wondered if any ER's can help; Phil's post, as quoted, prompted me :)

Link didnt work for me. Where are you heading in Essexland as might be bale to help beer wise?

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently sat out in the glorious sunshine watching trains go past on the old CLC line, which runs between Manchester and Warrington. Unfortunately, due to the position of the site (I'm facing the sun) and any photos that I've taken have just been a large black blob, ho hum.

Many years back, I used to travel on this line when I was training to become an electrician. British Steel, who I worked in Trafford Park, didn't have an electrical training facility on site, so I was shipped off to Rylands Whitecross in Warrington to use the facilities there. All my travel was paid for by British Steel of course. But because of the all the travelling involved, for a 16 year old they were long days, leaving home at 7:00am, and not getting back until 6:00pm, but it was all worth it.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good (??) to see that Ian (RH) has three reliable days of Southern operation to look forward too - alright so they won't be running any trains but at least you won't be getting frustrated waiting for a late runner.

Meanwhile the sun is shining, the windows have been cleaned (by men with van and high pressure water jets), and RMweb seems to have recovered from its outage.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Andrew C may have given you Tap East in Westfields shopping centre at Stratford amongst others.

Its been a while since I have been Romford way but there is the Golden Lion , 2 High St, Romford - a grade II listed building. Old peculiar on apparently plus 2 regulars and 2 guest ales.

There is a Wetherpsoons 99 - 103 South St.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good (??) to see that Ian (RH) has three reliable days of Southern operation to look forward too - alright so they won't be running any trains but at least you won't be getting frustrated waiting for a late runner.

Meanwhile the sun is shining, the windows have been cleaned (by men with van and high pressure water jets), and RMweb seems to have recovered from its outage.

Have a good day one and all

I still have to come into work each day unfortunately. Boss drives so he don't really care about those that travel by train. There will be a couple of Thameslink services assuming they dont have a driver shortage (one early service is often cancelled). I could go GWR to Dorking and pick up SWT but as Dorking will have no Southern services they could be wedged already.

Best option is to bus to Purley and pick up Southern DOO services off Caterham etc.

Coming home I could try to get on the LBG to Caterham service as far as Purley assuming isn't  already wedged. Otherwise go to Elmers End, Tramlink to Addiscombe for refreshment then Tramlink into Croydon and bus home.

Unfortunately I will be doing the journey by myself as my other half is allowed to work from home.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Back from hospital. Amazing, really amazing. Arrived at 7:30. I wasn't admitted to ward as last time but taken to the day case unit. Op was booked for 9am. They started giving me anaesthetic drops at 8:15 and I was on a trolley by 8:45. Consultant spoke to me and got me to sign on dotted line. I was wheeled into theatre, sensors etc fitted, cannula put in back of hand and more low level anaesthetic given via same. The anaesthetist administered a needle with a local to my eye, I didn't feel anything but it doesn't look good seeing it heading down. Operation done, out into rest area and coffee given (not intravenously) by 10am. I was given prescription drops, they phoned me a taxi and got me home by 10:40. The worst part is the heavy drape they tape over your face and the removal of it and the sensors.

They were all really wonderful.

I have to wear an eye pad* for the rest of the day and then one of those plastic shields at night for a few nights. I'm waiting for the local to wear off, then it will be up to a month before my vision returns if all goes to plan. No vigorous activity or heavy lifting to be done. The nurse said I could class housework as too vigorous if I wanted. Modelling and driving are probably off the menu until 3D vision returns.

I have a lot to be thankful for.

* other makes of computers and tablets are available.

• Like 3

Mornin' all.

Cheers,

Mick

Don't forget to bring your passport and are your "jabs" upto date? :nono: