The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Smart water meter - that's a new one on me! My house already has gas and electricity smart meters and, as a single occupant, I instructed the local supply bods to install a water meter; they did not mention the 'smart' possibility at the time. More investigation required, but it will probably need a mains feed to it so that te SIM card can do its stuff!

I think "smart " is a bit of a misnomer.

Their bumph states that using the latest technology,  an internally installed meter can be read from outside the property with no need to directly access the meter.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. Well what a lovely day it's been today, I even ate my lunch "al fresco" this afternoon whilst working at Ashton Park, which is on Preston Docks, not that I could see anything due to the large cement works obscuring the view.

Today marks the 36th anniversary of moving into our house, everyone thought we were mad buying a house this size, many commenting that it was like the TARDIS bigger on the inside, than it looks on the outside.

BoD. Hope your eye procedure goes well tomorrow.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

I think "smart " is a bit of a misnomer.

Their bumph states that using the latest technology,  an internally installed meter can be read from outside the property with no need to directly access the meter.

Cheers,

Mick

The gas and electricity meters, apparently, contain SIM cards so that they report to the relevant supplier their daily reading. It is possible, using an app or their websites, to see what they've gleaned from said meter and to see peak and average usage!

Now, if the water companies are this far advanced .....

Good (hopefully) night all!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The gas pipe entering your house BEFORE the meter should NOT be earthed, because it can have a detrimental effect on the gas pipeline monitoring equipment. However, the gas pipe feeding your house FROM the meter SHOULD be earthed, as close as possible to the meter connection. So yours seems to be OK.

It's good job the gas pipelines folk moved it then (several years ago) :jester:

The gas and electricity meters, apparently, contain SIM cards so that they report to the relevant supplier their daily reading. It is possible, using an app or their websites, to see what they've gleaned from said meter and to see peak and average usage!

Now, if the water companies are this far advanced .....

Good (hopefully) night all!

Our local Water Company over here was the first to install remote sensing. It’s the Electric Company that still sends a person to read the outside meter......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. On my way down to town today I passed the house I mentioned a few weeks ago the same as mine that was on the market for £200,000. There was a builder working on the property who I got into conversation with, he told me that the new owner had paid £206,000 for the property! I was expecting the price to have come down from the original asking price especially as the property had not been maintained properly for a long time and even lacked modern amenities such as double glazing and central heating. At least the new owner intends to live there and does not intend to let the property out unlike most properties on the estate. Thats it for tonight, goodnight all.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

We had to have a water meter when we built the house as it counted as new build (which it obviously was) although we were using the same water mains connection as the previous bungalow.  There are 4 of us living in a 4bedroom house with three toilets, a family bathroom, an ensuite shower, a kitchen sink and another sink in the utility plus washing machines for both clothes and dishes (separate machine before anyone asks).  For the last 18 months of his life dad lived in the 2 bedroom bungalow on the same site and paid a water bill based on the old rates system etc.  Although prices have risen in our first year here the bill for metered water was less than half what dad had been paying although we're probably using at least three times as much water as he did - definitely a plus point for meters (until everybody is on them and the price goes up).

G'night all

We had to have a water meter ... (until everybody is on them and the price goes up).

G'night all

Good caveat!

Good night Morning!

Edited by JohnDMJ

It's been a lovely spring day here on the Costa, but there was a bit of a bite to the breeze. . . . Roll on summer. . . . 

Re Jamie. . .I seem to recall him saying that tinterweb sur la continent was "on order".

Bod. . .you'll be in good hands at the Infirmary . . . but then, you already know that. Hope it all goes well.

Thoughts with the sick, recovering, and . . . missing.

goodnight Everyone  . . . Sleep well.

John

• Like 11

Happy birthday, Andy, belated.

A beautiful spring day here, sunny and warm all day. To South Queensferry to meet a couple of workpals for lunch and the new Forth bridge is looking good, coming on well. Think it's due to be opened in December.

My mum, 91 next month, was called up for jury duty just last week! She's been excused.

Good wishes to all

Mal

It's not unusual to see snow showers here at this time of year, but not this year. It was 5C last night then it shot up to 27C this afternoon :O

I think I'm exempt from jury duty now, but I was called a couple of years ago. I survived the first round, but got the heave-ho after answering a couple of questions. I suspect it was because I was obviously a "dang furner", although it might also have been to do with the fact that I whined about a rather unjustified speeding ticket I had received from a small-town Idaho pillock cop.

• Like 15

Our local Water Company over here was the first to install remote sensing. It’s the Electric Company that still sends a person to read the outside meter......

Best, Pete.

Not so long ago I got stuck with trying to make a system work that was supposed to read all the electric meters in a large city not too far from you - every fifteen minutes! As you might imagine there were quite a few problems with this brilliant scheme, but we better not go there.

• RMweb Premium

Groundhog, Hump, Pay or Woden's Day.  Delete any which do not apply.  Welcome to very warm sunshine in what those back in Blighty would term an Indian Summer.  28C today.  Cooler for the next few days ahead then warm again next week.  Still hoping for some rain as the tanks are getting empty and I really don't like watering the gardens off the mains.

Same shift at the Palace of Attendance.  Same faces emerging from the same trains the same number of minutes late as yesterday give or take.  Same greetings received ranging from bored grumpy to loud cheerful "Good Morning".  More Groundhog than Hump here as it's only day 3 of a 9-day stint.  The Germans have it correctly - it's Mittwoch there which I'll leave you to translate into English ;)

Enjoy.  I am.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark but dry and the birdies are singing. A sunny day is forecast.

The Boss has been taken to work and all is well at the moment.

Yesterday the car was washed (not by me) for the first time since about October/November. . However I did clean the inside which was also badly in need of attention. I don't normally leave it so long but seem to have been suffering from Lazyitis over the winter months. After we return from our forthcoming holiday I must extract digit and get on with stuff instead of putting things off. This particularly refers to the layout as I'm always talking about doing things but never get a round tuit. 

Kettle's boiling (again) so that's it for now,

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

Yesterday afternoon was irritating.  Just before 3 pm I tried to send an e-mail.  A message appeared to tell me that Steve Webb's inbox was full.  I'm guessing that this is not the same Steve Webb who used to be pensions minister.  I had tried to send the e-mail to myself, which I do because it is blind-copied to 66 people in three mail groups by forwarding, which is because I cannot send such things to 66 people at once because of the way that BT Mail have configured their tottering system that is a distinct disimprovement on BT Yahoo.  So I phoned the helpline.  An hour later it was answered.  The lady overseas knew of the fault.  Then it cleared.  How would you occupy an hour whilst holding on for a ringing phone to be answered?  I chose BBC News channel in case the problem was of national or international significance.  It didn't make the cut.  This morning I received an apology - by e-mail, naturally.

Today sees the area group meeting, preceded by an informal lunch.  It was convivial last time and with any luck will be again.  I may set out a bit early and see if Homebase have any strawberry plants.   I need some because, as usual, the act of ripping out dock leaves and other stuff has taken out some of the plants that I already had.  If there is time, I will get the ironing out of the way beforehand.  Ah, the domestic bliss.

To those who are in trouble a lot worse than me I extend hopeful thoughts and best wishes.

Chris

Morning All,

We have another bright sunny morning in this part of the world. 

I am back on software testing today, so there's something to look forward to!

Time for a coffee - Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hey up. Sunny here too.

My first outdoor cricket umpiring this year will be undertaken this afternoon. My colleague rang last night to discuss today so we should be OK.

Have a great day/evening everyone,

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Slept quite well and feeling better already, so I suppose the ENT visit on Monday has been a good call. All things considered, I suppose I should be mostly back in shape by the weekend.

Freshening up in a few and off to buy some food after that. Have a good day, folks…

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Sun is out and trains on Tim this morning unlike last night although we were lucky that ours was running as the ones before and after weren't. Multiple problems along the Brighton lines.

Three strikes announced by Southern gaurds with the first one starting next Tuesday for 24 hours if it goes ahead.

This morning a little more work on the Rail grinder lights. It's slow going having to let each light set before doing the next one.

Morning folks,

Trying to wean myself back into getting up at 'work time'.

Today it's quite easy, bright day the promise of it staying that way and that I have a schedule to follow. Based on the weather forecast, tomorrow may be a different matter.

Best wishes to all, especially the missing, ailing and recovering.

May be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

It's another cool but very sunny day here today, which finds me working very close to home, in North Cheshire, an area, which before the county boundary changes in the early 70's used to be part of Lancashire. If you hadn't guessed yet, I'm working in the Warrington area.

I've got 5 site visits planned starting at Oakwood, then Woolston, Padgate, Latchford and finally Grappenhall.

Have a good one.

• Like 11