The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, day off o'clock.  Mrs H off to the Drs, hopefully something slightly worrying, isn't.

Thanks for the vote for Marine Engineers, Richard.  The thing about ships, is when they break, you can't just call someone in to fix it as the middle of the Atlantic is inconvenient for them.  Equally when on fire - you can't dial 999, hence all officers and petty officers are trained fire-fighters.  I still have the burn scars to prove it!   The training worked, I once had a generator engine fire (8 cylinder 2,000 Kw job) and everything clicked in to place, kind of without thinking about it, almost autonomic in action.  I suppose military training must produce similar reactions at times of action.

Nice to see Polly back, and that the funerals of her mum and GDB's opposite number went 'as well as can be expected'.  Bitter sweet things, as an emotional person I struggle with them but feel the need to support the bereaved and remember the deceased with respect and happy memories.

Bike club morning, so there has just been a torrential shower. Bum.

• Like 11

Morning all! - a little treat for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhK2M_dBxg

Thanks Jack. Now I'm a bit homesick. That was Calgary in the advert. The museum is about an hour's drive in Drumheller. Been there many many times. Not sure if they still do it but kids could camp out overnight in the museum under the exhibits. My son got to do that in scouts.

• Like 10

Mawnin' awl. Feeling annoyed that I'm so easily struck down by respiratory infections. I'm not even sure whether they're bugs from Elise's nursery or if I pick them up at work myself. Found myself thinking of obtaining a set of gloves (white ones like those Japanese train drivers use), actually, to hopefully block one path of contraction…

You haven't been in the job long, Dom.  You are getting everything under the sun at the moment because you are being exposed to bugs that you haven't been exposed to before.

Every time that I have changed jobs, or Thomas changed kindergarten/ school it seems that I caught everything going!

Hands are one of the biggest ways of transferring germs from person to person, it is true, but I am not sure how effective cotton gloves would be.  Masks (which are also popular in Asia) are useless - as soon as the mask is damp (from your own breath) they let as many (if not more) germs through than having no mask.  Respirators are more effective - but would probably be off putting for the passengers :mosking:

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. A cool, dull and grey day, but at least it isn't raining. First visit of the day sees me visiting our gas site which feeds one of the Pilkington Glass factory's in St. Helens. This is the job that I was asked to do at the last minute and which the electronic paperwork for it is floating somewhere in the ether, still it pays the bills!

Further visits today will take me to Prescot and finally Pimbo (near Skelmeresdale), which will be my last job of the day and hopefully that one will make it POETS day for me too.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Robert. Almost felt like I was the only one so easily afflicted…

Respirators are more effective - but would probably be off putting for the passengers :mosking:

There's a thought: Hazmat suits! :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit damp, dull and dreary this morning so if I venture out it will be in the car. After the debacle with WH Smiths I realise that there is only one magazine I have now that is neither available from another local stockist or I have on subscription. That means that if I take out a subscription for that particular mag I will no longer need to use their stores. I do take several magazines a month and until recently I obtained many of them from WH Smiths but in the last 7 to 8 years their service has deteriorated to such an extent it is driving customers away, no wonder they are right down the bottom of the list when it comes to customer satisfaction. Thats my rant for today, commiserations and congratulations were neccessary and have a good POETS day all.

Morning all. Back from the GP and killing time until the hospital appointment.

Ship's engineers. My Dad was a Chief ERA in the Andrew, When an RN ship breaks you not only have to mend it with what you've got, you also have to do it quickly or the baddies will shoot you! Unfortunately Dad continued this mentality for the rest of his life, refusing to buy parts or tools. I tried to explain to him that we were doing "dockyard jobs" but to no avail.

However, if my car breaks down in the desert with the Taliban shooting at me I know who I would like to have with me.

Miss you Dad

Ed

• Like 3

Morning all. A cool, dull and grey day, but at least it isn't raining. First visit of the day sees me visiting our gas site which feeds one of the Pilkington Glass factory's in St. Helens. This is the job that I was asked to do at the last minute and which the electronic paperwork for it is floating somewhere in the ether, still it pays the bills!

Further visits today will take me to Prescot and finally Pimbo (near Skelmeresdale), which will be my last job of the day and hopefully that one will make it POETS day for me too.

Fingers crossed.

Brian, surely you don't venture to those places alone?

20 yrs ago I learned to drive a bus around those parts and saw some sights that shocked me, I can tell you.

Keep the Sherriffs close by :)

• RMweb Premium

Brian, surely you don't venture to those places alone?

20 yrs ago I learned to drive a bus around those parts and saw some sights that shocked me, I can tell you.

Keep the Sherriffs close by :)

Andy, yes like 90% of my working days, I am working alone. Besides, I like the company I keep!

As for the areas, well, you get used to it, I just make sure I always lock the gates!

• Like 12

On Wednesday the trackpad clicker on my Macbook Pro stopped working. Today I had to take another Macbook in to a service agent for a new battery, and told them about the clicker. Turns out my warranty expired yesterday and the repair involves replacing the entire top case of the machine...

So I phoned Apple and explained the situation to them and they extended my warranty for free. What a nice gesture. Saved me over £400.

• Like 17

A good night over the hills, well Herne Hill Tulse Hill and Gipsy Hill visiting various breweries. East Croydon deserted. Maybe passengers just get home as quick as possible these days. More staff than passengers, our train went late then on time thrb disappeared as a 442 went past and now even later. At least the beers tonight were very good.

PS you won't believe how many times that I had to alter autocorrect in this message

There used to be a great pub above Denmark Hill station - is it still there? Recall it had some pretty strong beers.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a great pub above Denmark Hill station - is it still there? Recall it had some pretty strong beers.

Mal

Yes its still there. Used to be the Phoenix and Firkin of David Bruce fame. Its now got a different name after all the Firkins disappeared. I used it a few times last year going to see our late friend whilst he was in Kings Hospital nearby.

The pub isnt as good as it used to be but still a nice place and a reasonable range of ales

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

On Wednesday the trackpad clicker on my Macbook Pro stopped working. Today I had to take another Macbook in to a service agent for a new battery, and told them about the clicker. Turns out my warranty expired yesterday and the repair involves replacing the entire top case of the machine...

So I phoned Apple and explained the situation to them and they extended my warranty for free. What a nice gesture. Saved me over £400.

Should have gone to John Lewis.

Ed

• Like 5

This is for Mal.

The master at work, Hendrix alone. “May this be Love” - quite possibly includes the most beautiful guitar solo ever recorded.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3nxfrc_jimi-hendrix-may-this-be-love-guitar-only-jimi-isolated_music

Best, Pete.

Thanks, Pete, some beautiful guitar work here. The other tracks are good, too.

Mal

Thanks for some great photos, Dave (TG). Great to hear that you're both getting out a bit more now; am looking forward to that myself in a month or two, Gabe's promised a weekend away in the Highlands.

Starting to get pretty chilly here now - warmish morning, though. Looks like the weekend for us all is brrr, cold.

Have a good Friday afternoon and evening all

Mal

• Like 4

As you can probably tell from the time that I've written this, POETS was achieved. Fortunately we had managed to get everything in place early and nothing went wrong with the job today. I like to be proven wrong every so often.

Dave (TG) - It sounds like the time away was good for both of you. Excellent photos

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

G'daft a-noon all.  Or other time of day if appropriate.  POE not available.  POL in fact but home punctually thanks to some assertive driving by the person in the First Class Cabin.  Glass of red laughing water now being enjoyed to celebrate conclusion of a week of lates.

Accustomed to the mispronunciation of place names as I am I was taken a little aback by being asked for "Wind Sore" tonight.  Many names are borrowed or stolen here.  Most of the early settlers simply used what they knew.  Windor here has neither a Riverside nor an Eton but I stifled a guffaw as I recalled Best Pete's flatulent hippomus potamus post.  No-one else would have understood!  

At the tender age of two I am told I had mastered the art of basic speech.  At some point I must have had a picture book of animals as I somehow rendered the ubiquitous river-horse as "Hippomus Potamus" and as such they are still known by the immediate family.  I clearly remember a set of "Snap" cards which featured circus acts and that among other things I decided a soft C was suitable for "Acrobats" which I termed "Arsobouts".   As my dear father quipped many years later when recounting his mirth at my gaff "That was actually very apt - if only you knew."

Thus beginneth the weekend.  I'll be back when I can.  For now I've earned this glass of not-Ribena to be followed by (I hope) a decent sleep.

• Like 5

Quick check in...

Nothing exciting (or otherwise) to report from yesterday. Jemma retrieved from airport on time, dinner, done.

Right now getting set to head to the airport and looks like we'll be able to get on the flight we were shooting for, so should be in DC by late afternoon. Havin dinner with friends if all goes well.

Will possibly report in from the "air" as client managed to put out a "HELP" request even though they know I'm on vacation, so if I can connect (usually no problem) on the plane I'll try and solve their problem, and maybe post something meaningless here too :jester:

12 and sunny here, same in DC at present, as reported by the friends we will have dinner with, so generally a nice looking day all round.

Hope POE works for those that have the potential...

• RMweb Gold

Well, POETS happened. One director away and the other decided heh as enough and took most to the pub. I need a day off beer and as its a wine bar type of place with pretty poor beer I gave it a miss. As I don't have keys to lock the office I had to leave when the finance director decided to lock up to go join them in the pub. Was tempted for a swift one in the Rake but as I will be drinking tomorrow I resisted and now on a train home.

Hopefully more modelling time

• Like 18

Well, POETS happened. One director away and the other decided heh as enough and took most to the pub. I need a day off beer and as its a wine bar type of place with pretty poor beer I gave it a miss. As I don't have keys to lock the office I had to leave when the finance director decided to lock up to go join them in the pub. Was tempted for a swift one in the Rake but as I will be drinking tomorrow I resisted and now on a train home.

Hopefully more modelling time

Thought you might like this letter from today's Guardian, Ian: "Stations now regularly advise travellers to 'inform station staff of any suspicious behaviour'. In the case of East Croydon station, does a train actually arriving on time count as suspicious behaviour?"

Mal

• Like 1

Afternoon all from the comfort of my own flat, working shirking from home!  Planned a full day at home, then after booting up the work laptop realised I had a 10am meeting in the office.  Dashed up, had the meeting and returned home without being seen by any of the team!

Had to be at home to let Anamaria's Airbnb guests into the flat this afternoon while she's in the office.  Two retired Floridians, who seemed very nice!

We're off for a curry this evening and (for once!) have absolutely no plans for tomorrow.  I will need to do a bit of flat-tidying as Jamie wants to come here on Sunday.

As Mal's noted it's got colder and a bit damper this afternoon.  There was some light drizzle in the air as I was at GF's flat.  

My cousin's sent some photos from her daughter's christening before Easter which arrived in the post today.  Great pics - will have to scan them to send to my folks.

Have a good POETS day everyone!

• Like 15