The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Dom. Prostate cancer IS curable, I'm living proof. Although mine hadn't spread, it had just made an escape and was caught before going to far. It's a tough ride though, but the best results are when you complete all treatment recommended by the doctors and is also helped by plenty of love and support.

You may find several alternatives ways of fixing it - make sure he is given the choices, Dom. A lot depends on how early it has been “caught”.            

Brian is right.

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Dom. Prostate cancer IS curable, I'm living proof. Although mine hadn't spread, it had just made an escape and was caught before going to far. It's a tough ride though, but the best results are when you complete all treatment recommended by the doctors and is also helped by plenty of love and support.

Yes, Brian, I gathered as much from reading up on the subject, though of course, it's not the kind of news anyone needs to hear regardless. Especially given the memories of how Elise's mum did succumb to her lung cancer, in a way which still makes my stomach churn when I think of it. Jo will begin his therapy right today, so of course, we are all keeping our fingers crossed for him in the hope that it can, at least, be contained in such a way as to allow him a decent quality of life for many more years.

Prostate cancer is survivable.  Two members of my family will attest to that.  One is 88 and was treated in his seventies, the other much younger.

There is nothing pleasant about lung cancer.  It claimed the life of my first partner at a very young age.  She was unaware of anything wrong, though never enjoyed truly good health, until the morning she was unable to get her breath in the shower.  The emergency ambulance didn't stop at the nearest general hospital but took her straight to the much more distant Derriford in Plymouth as they guessed the problem right away.  She was in and out from that day on and finally succumbed (n hospital) around a year later and despite four rounds of chemo.  

As Ian / OD says above, news of or from Jock is now well overdue, I just hope for some positive news, but as each day goes by I feel the chances are slimmer. Still we all know he's a fighter and I just hope that he will be back and hitting all the threads with a THOUSAND LIKES before to long.

I don't intend to send another PM, or e-mail as the Family may not be able to open his Computer and loads of messages if and when they do would be to much.

All the best to you all.

I've just had a look and it was the1st April that I got a message about Jock being re admitted into Hospital, and I last sent an E-Mail to Jock on the 4th asking for any up-date, but have heard nothing since, so it's now 8 days.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad all those affected by Cancer it is important to catch things early enough. By the time they diagnosed my mother's ovarian cancer she was to ill to receive chemo. She wouldn't become well enough with out the chemo Catch 22.

Don

• RMweb Premium

You may find several alternatives ways of fixing it - make sure he is given the choices, Dom. A lot depends on how early it has been “caught”.            

Brian is right.

Best, Pete.

I understand the initial consultation re his treatment described a multilayered approach consisting of hormonal treatment, radiation and chemo in order to mount, if you will, a massive assault as quickly as possible. I'm no expert on the matter by any standard and so do not know how many variations there may be to each of these component treatments, but it sounded to me like he is in competent hands.

• RMweb Premium

From my own experience the current thinking seems to be with most cancers to hit them hard and fast.  That usually results in a degree of patient discomfort, the precise effects varying by individual treatment regime and by patient, but what price potentially many more years and in a lot of cases now the rest of a normal life-span?

It's not so long ago that we dreaded the words "breast cancer" yet even that is often manageable with medium - long term survival rates significantly up.  I'm told it's a particularly unpleasant course of treatment and the surgical side is often significant but even that is often managed to the extent now that many survivors offer no visible signs to the outside world.

We have come a long way.  There is much further yet to go.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

True enough, Rick. The sad thing of all those advances that have been made but remains that they always come too late for too many, and I do sincerely hope this may change some day.

• RMweb Gold

Reading of AndyID's abodes, including one in Utah, I'm reminded of the entry criteria for a kindergarten in Salt Lake City: "Bring 'em young".  :stinker:

ISTR the Rio Grande had a railcar named after that individual, perhaps unsurprisingly.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

PS Talking of suffering I hope OD will get a Eurostar seat on Friday - travel on Privs used to be strictly rationed on Fridays and Sundays.

Too effin' true, squire. Cost me a fortune, and of course only three days before travel, when all the cheapies are long gone. But I'm booked at least. Sherry is so down today she couldn't even summon the energy for a lunchtime chat, which is unprecedented. But it's only flu, as they say. And the doc has told her to look for other symptoms which would mean she'd need to be hospitalised. None so far. 

Greetings all, the day has turned sunny and warm, but as always I see clouds and gloom through the windows of HR.

I was less fortunate at the dentist than Robert. Overbrushing has given me a cavity in one of my wisdom teeth that needs cleaning out and filling. So next Tuesday it is. First dental injection for about15 or 16 years....

Dom, my father (who is in his late 70s) has just been through the full gamut of treatments in overcoming prostate cancer. The hormone injections have given him hot flushes, which my Mum has found amusing. So best wishes to Elise's father.

Not too much else to report at present, but like others, positive news from the Essex seaboard would be gladly received. Have a good day all

Too effin' true, squire. Cost me a fortune, and of course only three days before travel, when all the cheapies are long gone. But I'm booked at least. Sherry is so down today she couldn't even summon the energy for a lunchtime chat, which is unprecedented. But it's only flu, as they say. And the doc has told her to look for other symptoms which would mean she'd need to be hospitalised. None so far. 

I think so many people ascribe the term flu to a heavy cold that when flu really does strike, we are surprised at how debilitating it actually is. Best wishes to Sherry.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad all those affected by Cancer it is important to catch things early enough. By the time they diagnosed my mother's ovarian cancer she was to ill to receive chemo. She wouldn't become well enough with out the chemo Catch 22.

Don

Ovarian claimed Deb, too. It is extremely difficult to detect in the early stages - the patient has no idea she is unwell until too late. A small loss of appetite is one of the few symptoms - but who would regard that as a significant sign requiring a medic's attention?

Good morning one and all

I am speculating idly whether one can have two blood tests done at the same session.  This is because I need one for Sister Diabetes and one for Professor Oncologist.  As of yesterday I have an appointment with the good Sister in early May but I'm not now due to see the Prof until mid June.  Maybe I will ask this afternoon after the eye screening appointment.  

Don't speculate, just do it! I did last year! Besides, it only means one puncture to repair!

• Like 8

Today my travels are taking me up into the hills of East Lancashire. First stop Burnley, where I have 2 sites to visit, then onto Barrowford. Whilst there, I shall put the kettle on (I know, it won't suit me) and then have lunch.

After lunch I'll then head of to Clitheroe, and then onto my final call of the day in Padiham, before heading for home.

So close, yet so far. Oh well keep trying! :jester:

In 1973, it was closer still. :)

• Like 1

Yes it's still dark here, as Mike (SixOh...) mentioned earlier, and the rain is scheduled to last for another 24 hours, yeuurrgh! It's chilly, too, around 6C or 7C.

Some of you may have heard about the Edinburgh schools debacle - it looks as though (from the tv pics) some builders forgot to put the ties between the brick wall and steel frame :O hence the urgent building work. Most of the affected secondary schoolchildren have been re-schooled at other schools, but some primary ones are still waiting. That'll be chaos for a while, then... Will be  very fed-up if it turns out the original builders were just cost-cutting for more profit (allegedly).

Hope your days go well, and best wishes to Sherry and Jock.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, grey wet and overcast, knew that a third dry day on the bounce was asking to much.

Re the flu, my wife fell ill with it day after we returned from the States, its taken her three weeks to start feeling right again. She devolped a nasty cough which is starting to abate, she was sent for bloods and an Xray at the end of the first week and given antibiotics.

Fortunately touch wood I have managed to avoid catching it so far, long may that continue!

In the meantime best wishes Sherry.

Enjoy whats left of the day, I am off to the shed after a browse on Ebay.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Change of plans tonight.

trains going FUBAR due ot an earlier signalling problem at Selhurst and now at Purley. Just looked at East Croydon departure board.

Caught mum just in time before she put the food in the oven.

Now do we try getting home or just go into the pub in Borough Market.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Painting is done for today, 30747 collected from work, dinner consumed, and shopping delivered (20 minutes early - he sat outside for a while aftrwards so that he didn't mark the delivery as too early - apparently too early is as bad as too late). 

Sorry to hear that Sherry has proper 'flu - it's dreadful - I've had it about four times in my life, and it has always put me on my back. 

Another expression of hope that we get some news from Clacton.  I do wonder if things are a bit more serious this time.

Oh and it's raining here again.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Dom, my father (who is in his late 70s) has just been through the full gamut of treatments in overcoming prostate cancer. The hormone injections have given him hot flushes, which my Mum has found amusing. So best wishes to Elise's father.

In 2012 my PSA reading was 90, now it's <0.1 and has been for nearly 3 years now. I started a 3 week course of steroids the day I was diagnosed, and hormone a week later. Hormone treatment does cause hot flushes, swollen breasts and can also lead to weight gain around the stomach too. I was on the hormone treatment for 3 years, but had radiotherapy aswell as my chemo, which was part in a drug trial. It wasn't a new drug, it was an older one used in a new way, and luckily I had no really bad side effects from anything. I still have some hot flushes every so often 14 months after my last injection, but they are getting less frequent now. Mine were so bad that I had to warn people (particularly those who didn't know about my cancer) about them, just in case they thought it was something more serious.

But it was all worth it the long run. Fingers crossed for Elise's uncle.

• RMweb Gold

Pub!

Yes

The Rake.

Got a couple of seats inside not that there are many more than that.

Some rather nice beers on including a Flying Dog oak aged Chipolte Porter that bites the back of your throat but in a nice way. A lot more sublty than the Fort George (Astoria OR) one that is dry and really does burn, in a nice way!!

Some cracking beers tonight but now attempting to make our way home on Southern. Doesn't help with a booked 5 minute layover at New Cross Gate long before we get to the problem area of East Croydon and Purley

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin'

Now quiet after the mini invasion by the kids.

Earlier there were sounds of a slight altercation from upstairs where they were (supposed to be) doing their homework.

GDB - Loudly): "What's going on up there?"

Joe & Gemma in unison: "Nothing Grandad"

GDB: "Sounds like you were fighting".

J & G: "No Grandad"

GDB: "I could hear sounds of conflict - do I need to come up there and beat someone?" (As if I would)

J & G: "Nooooooo Grandad" followed by the sounds of children laughing their heads off. (They didn't seem to take me seriously) 

However it all quietened down and the homework got done.

Later I gave Joe some driving instruction on the APT-E.  Dunno what's wrong with kids these days because it took him at least 35 seconds to get the hang of it.

• Like 11