The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all

I am speculating idly whether one can have two blood tests done at the same session.  This is because I need one for Sister Diabetes and one for Professor Oncologist.  As of yesterday I have an appointment with the good Sister in early May but I'm not now due to see the Prof until mid June.  Maybe I will ask this afternoon after the eye screening appointment.  

What else is new?  Not a lot.  It rained far too much yesterday for gardening to be even a twinkle in the eye.  Fortunately there is enough in the garden waste bin to justify trundling it to the pavement ready for collection.  How long will it be before I can say that again?  In the outside world, the scaffolding has been taken down from the house opposite but there are still cones with bits of paper sterilising four parking spaces.  A simple oversight, no doubt.

In respect of our fellow sufferers I rather hope that no news is good news.  So, I suspect, do you.  As always, best wishes to the ailing, recovering, suffering and grieving.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Her indoors up early for pre teaching swimming. This week she is only teaching at the Grammar School as most of the other Leeds schools are still on holiday. Easter holidays have become a mockery!

Stay calm and enjoy your day (or evening for some)

Baz

PS anyone able to umpire a cricket friendly in Leeds this Sunday please let me know.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dryish start after a wettish night and should be some sunshine this morning but chance of thundery showers later.

Back still aching so not a lot planned for today although I do have to go and collect my new suit.

Grandchildren are back to school so Joe & Gemma will be here later which will be great as we haven't seen them for a few days.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I didn't go to the pub last night so Andrew C you weren't the only one to go straight home.

However my task was a lot easier than moving turf as it involved wiring up and programming the ditch lights on a loco.

Our pub night will be either Wednesday or Thursday but not decided where yet.

• Like 15

Morning All,

We have a somewhat cloudy morning here.  According to the weather forecast, the weather was due to be good again today, but it doesn't seem to have materialised quite as promised!

I had a trip to the dentist last night for a checkup and clean - fortunately, everything was Ok.

This evening we will be visiting blue and yellow furniture hell.  I need a couple of new shelves for my tools - at the moment, they are stored on a couple of Dexion style cheap shelving units with edges that can best be described as "dubiously finished".  Picasso managed to scratch his head yesterday and the shelves are prime suspect.

Have a good day everyone...

Is that still on the books, Andrew? I thought they had removed that after the 1981/83 recession. So many people who were 'under water' with their mortgages just said to the banks "Here's the surety you accepted on the mortgage - goodbye!" and walked away. I thought the law had been changed after that and allowed banks to go after people for what remained on the mortgage after the repo'ed house had been sold (as had been the case in all other provinces (?) before that).

Yep its still happening: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jingle-mail-alberta-housing-1.3430867

Pete: yes that is exactly what the crap that came from next door was like.

Moaning all from the boring borough. Just about to head out to see just how late Southeastern are this morning. I think I saw a rain drop, so that is usually enough to send the whole area into melt down chaos. Compost delivered in a perfect ballet of aerial pallet manipulation. No moving or restacking of the bags required. Phew. Next door still empty for now. A few bits of crap in the garden and front but cleaner than it was. No doubt these piles of junk will stay until the next tenants leave. The landlords are ok but they never seem to complete anything. Half tidied garden, half repaired fence, half painted rendering, etc.

Have a good day everyone. Check in later from tourist hell.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Sherry's flu is not shifting. Her conversation with the doc indicated it might be around for several more days yet, with full recovery taking up to three weeks. Accordingly I expect to rebook my planned Wednesday Eurostar for Friday, on the grounds that her temperature and hence infection might be under control by then. I am required to be Front of House at the Little Theatre on Saturday, so need to be in Torbay by then. Fingers crossed that the SNCF office in Le Mans can get me rebooked at short notice.

News from Jock is now rather overdue. Keep everything crossed.

Hope everyone's week progressing as required.

Morning all from a grey (and now damp) Scottish HQ. Zero progress was made last night on whittling the photos down to a usable tranche...

GF is away from today for 2 nights at a conference in London, so we've been a bit like ships passing in the night the last week or so! Time to top up the blood caffeine levels...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Trip to home supply store and supermarket accomplished, now to catch some rest till the afternoon.

Somewhat pensive today as Elise's uncle, who had recently been found to have prostate cancer, will need a more intense treatment regime than originally thought as additional tests revealed it has, in fact, spread. It did revive memories of MiL's fate, I admit, though I suppose all we can do is wait and see how things unfold.

Best wishes to everyone. Hope to be able to look in later…

As Ian / OD says above, news of or from Jock is now well overdue, I just hope for some positive news, but as each day goes by I feel the chances are slimmer. Still we all know he's a fighter and I just hope that he will be back and hitting all the threads with a THOUSAND LIKES before to long.

I don't intend to send another PM, or e-mail as the Family may not be able to open his Computer and loads of messages if and when they do would be to much.

All the best to you all.

Morning all.

I didn't go to the pub last night so Andrew C you weren't the only one to go straight home.

However my task was a lot easier than moving turf as it involved wiring up and programming the ditch lights on a loco.

Our pub night will be either Wednesday or Thursday but not decided where yet.

After finding out the compost was wrapped and on a pallet delivered to the alleyway and not in the front garden we decided to stop at the Pelt Trader for a couple of Czech beers and pizza. :drink_mini:

Tourist hell surprisingly quiet this morning. Not too many Eurobrats but a roaming herd of lost older Americans clogging up the Baker St station exit. The half dozen or so professional beggars also seem to have been cleared out this week. Only to be replaced by charity muggers, aka chuggers. They're just as annoying.

Really hoping Jock manages to check in soon. Most worrying.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

After finding out the compost was wrapped and on a pallet delivered to the alleyway and not in the front garden we decided to stop at the Pelt Trader for a couple of Czech beers and pizza. :drink_mini:

What was the phrase you use yesterday? :beee:

ah well my turn later in the week :drink_mini:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Going to nip into town earlyish today before the predicted thunderstorms arrive. The lack of any news from Clacton is indeed a bit worrying and we can only hope for some good news soon. The mention of 'jingle-mail' reminded me of some people I know who are still suffering the effects of negative equity, I fortunately was able to make changes to my mortgage arrangements and just managed to escape that trap. Be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

No doubt the online rail map has some errors. i was particularly interested in the brick works tramway near Tony; no doubt put in place to help build the castle.  :scratchhead:

Reading of AndyID's abodes, including one in Utah, I'm reminded of the entry criteria for a kindergarten in Salt Lake City: "Bring 'em young".  :stinker:

Ok, now I've got my coat on, and in spite of the sunshine, I've got a second hanging basket to plant up. I have a suspicion that the trailing lobelia will look more like a monk's hairdo than the hanging gardens of Babylon. Nevertheless, it should add a splash of colour. 

And at some stage I intend to catch up with the snail that ate my tarragon plant.  :triniti:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone. A damp start following a very wet night, but at least the wind has now gone.

Today my travels are taking me up into the hills of East Lancashire. First stop Burnley, where I have 2 sites to visit, then onto Barrowford. Whilst there, I shall put the kettle on (I know, it won't suit me) and then have lunch.

After lunch I'll then head of to Clitheroe, and then onto my final call of the day in Padiham, before heading for home.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Somewhat pensive today as Elise's uncle, who had recently been found to have prostate cancer, will need a more intense treatment regime than originally thought as additional tests revealed it has, in fact, spread. It did revive memories of MiL's fate, I admit, though I suppose all we can do is wait and see how things unfold.

Dom. Prostate cancer IS curable, I'm living proof. Although mine hadn't spread, it had just made an escape and was caught before going to far. It's a tough ride though, but the best results are when you complete all treatment recommended by the doctors and is also helped by plenty of love and support.

• RMweb Premium

Dom. Prostate cancer IS curable, I'm living proof. Although mine hadn't spread, it had just made an escape and was caught before going to far. It's a tough ride though, but the best results are when you complete all treatment recommended by the doctors and is also helped by plenty of love and support.

Yes, Brian, I gathered as much from reading up on the subject, though of course, it's not the kind of news anyone needs to hear regardless. Especially given the memories of how Elise's mum did succumb to her lung cancer, in a way which still makes my stomach churn when I think of it. Jo will begin his therapy right today, so of course, we are all keeping our fingers crossed for him in the hope that it can, at least, be contained in such a way as to allow him a decent quality of life for many more years.

Best wishes to one and all and here's hoping for some good news re Jock.

A few days of mixed blessings. MiL burst a vein in her leg and blood everywhere in her bathroom.  Looked like a scene from Psycho....

One year old Samsung TV packed up this morning.  First time we've ever had a TV fail.  Tried all the usual remedies without luck, but found the answer on Google.  It keeps switching on and off every 30 seconds or so and I was surprised it was a well known fault with capacitors failing on the power board.  Repairman arrives Friday...

On the up side, here's five pics from a round robin email that crossed my desk this morning. 

post-6950-0-39353500-1460453233.jpg

post-6950-0-35412200-1460453234.jpg

post-6950-0-80525500-1460453234.jpg

post-6950-0-39571100-1460453235.jpg

post-6950-0-80446800-1460453235.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright and sunny so I'm told we might be 'going out' - whatever that means (but it definitely excludes the G word).

I've just answered a 'phone call from 'Jack' who was calling from my internet service provider Talk Talk.  I told him that he was talking b*ll**ks and to c*pulate off - I do hope he understood as he was clearly of non English origin.  This is the second call I've had from these morons in about 10 days so presumably they have now got down the list of stolen names to mine which, of course, lies a fair distance down the alphabet.  Maybe I should ask any future callers if their calls are 'recorded for training purposes' and, if so, give them extensive training in the less complimentary areas of spoken English; won't achieve anything of course but it could be fun.

Have a good day everybody and all the best for those receiving medical treatment or suffering.

PS Talking of suffering I hope OD will get a Eurostar seat on Friday - travel on Privs used to be strictly rationed on Fridays and Sundays.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Not at all sure how I should rate your posting, Gordon, so may I just make it a simultaneous "Friendly/Supportive" and "Funny" in writing?

On the lighter side of things, Elise has recently taken a big liking to what I understand you call Urban Gardening, and then there also is the idea of us building her a kind of freelanced shunting plank-like layout with a Scottish setting. Yes, she does like model railways and as she is a Harry Potter fan also, the idea was to build something which I figure you could describe a fictional preservation line in the Scottish Highlands located where Hogwarts Castle would be in that alternate dimension. In fact, I gave her the Hornby model of 5972 Olton Hall as a birthday present this February!

And then there is my idea of also starting to build a RhB themed H0m layout inspired by the Albula Line for myself, centred on a small countryside station derived from what in reality is Surava Station. I've had a soft spot for RhB for many years and was thinking that building in H0m would lend itself well to the space we have available. 

• Like 15