The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Happy Hippo, on 11 Apr 2016 - 17:50, said:

The Obergrumpehfuhrer and her brother have a small property portfolio and have had tenants do likewise.

She was so upset over the last one who did it, that I, who have no involvement with their little enterprise asked if I could act as their agent in this matter, which was agreed..

You will be sorry to read that I did not go around to his place of work and air nail his scrot*m  to the back bumper of a bus, not did I offer any threats of violence against his person.

No, I just took out a CCJ against him for the arrears.  And I decided that 10% interest on the lost rental, plus the court costs would not be unreasonable to add to the total, which the court  has upheld.

I know It will take ages to get the money back to  the Obergrumpenfuhrer and her brother, but at least when he tried it again, the credit check will come back flagged with the CCJ against him.

The CCJ is really screwing up his financial affairs and he has had to move back in with his parents, because none of the local letting agents will touch him with a barge pole.

He was hoping to get a loan for a car. Fat chance!

Edit: to remove the rude word filter block

Still it was all his own fault, and I have no sympathy for him.

Love it. We need a standing ovation emoji. I've seen some of those tenant from hell programmes on Channel 5 (I think) and getting the b*stards out of the house is a nightmare, and ever collecting is worse. Some of these people are almost professional con artists. Pay first and last  month rent, then don't pay any more, get at least 4 free months then move and do it again. References are usually faked.

The laws in Alberta are a bit more on the landlord's side. 7 days late with the rent,  you get a notice of pay in 7 or out. After 14 days the landlord automatically has the right to change the locks and turf out the deadbeats. Unpaid rent then comes out of the damage deposit. Any additional costs will likely get garnisheed from the tenant's wages. A far more common scenario was the landlord taking the rent but not paying the mortgage. They stall for 6 months, then turn the keys over to the bank and the tenant gets the shaft. There is a rather strange law in place still that allows you to assume an existing mortgage and to default by simply turning the keys to the bank. The slang for this is jingle mail.

Getting back to next door, they did take out a ccj against the first family but I think they likely just declared bankruptcy. Not sure about this bunch. It looks as though they split up with the husband being left on the hook. Moving in with the parents won't help him escape either as the landlord owns that place too. That is how he came to rent this one. Complex and uncomfortable for his parents no doubt. To be honest I'm hoping for a nice middle aged gay couple. At least they'd look after the place and are more likely to be socially aware.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Damned autocorrect

I agree, I've fallen victim far too many times myself, and still I don't proof read properly before posting.

I did this time though

• RMweb Gold

Err am I understanding this right? You've all but lost your voice and you're getting a telephone conversation?  How's your morse code?  :jester:

[invoke Angry Husband Mode]

OI! Hands off! Sherry's voice is currently crap but she can make herself understood!

[And breathe]

• Like 3

Love it. We need a standing ovation emoji. I've seen some of those tenant from hell programmes on Channel 5 (I think) and getting the b*stards out of the house is a nightmare, and ever collecting is worse. Some of these people are almost professional con artists. Pay first and last  month rent, then don't pay any more, get at least 4 free months then move and do it again. References are usually faked.

The laws in Alberta are a bit more on the landlord's side. 7 days late with the rent,  you get a notice of pay in 7 or out. After 14 days the landlord automatically has the right to change the locks and turf out the deadbeats. Unpaid rent then comes out of the damage deposit. Any additional costs will likely get garnisheed from the tenant's wages. A far more common scenario was the landlord taking the rent but not paying the mortgage. They stall for 6 months, then turn the keys over to the bank and the tenant gets the shaft. There is a rather strange law in place still that allows you to assume an existing mortgage and to default by simply turning the keys to the bank. The slang for this is jingle mail.

Getting back to next door, they did take out a ccj against the first family but I think they likely just declared bankruptcy. Not sure about this bunch. It looks as though they split up with the husband being left on the hook. Moving in with the parents won't help him escape either as the landlord owns that place too. That is how he came to rent this one. Complex and uncomfortable for his parents no doubt. To be honest I'm hoping for a nice middle aged gay couple. At least they'd look after the place and are more likely to be socially aware.

Due to various job opportunities etc., for a while we had a house in Idaho, another in California and an apartment in Utah (Park City). People asked us why we didn't rent the ones we were not living in. My usual response was "because we are not effing nuts!"

We did unload the Utah place by financing the loan to a recent graduate. That worked out very well, but even if he had stopped paying, the law in Utah would have let us evict him in a couple of weeks. California would have been a different story altogether.

• Like 6

I've also used the rail checker that Andy B posted.

The CLC lines which run close to my home shows the line as built before the Manchester Ship Canal (opened 1894) AND after the line to the station at Irlam was realigned after a bridge was built to cross the canal (1893). It also shows Chassen Road Station which wasn't built until 1934. It also seems to show all the internal railway lines for old MOD depot at Burtonwood (now Birchwood), near Warrington, Irlam Steel Works, as well those for the old Carrington Power Station. I doubt that CLC or BR had running rights over these lines. Informative but not 100% reliable.

I didn't know about that site. Very interesting AndyB.

Even shows the Duchal Moor narrow gauge railway which I came across as a yoot.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

the Dean . . . . from Derby

I assume KH ? Had a longer than usual day at work as we are going though  Audit  Higher Education Review and we had to stay until all meetings finished to discover what we need to find for the morning - gave up looking at 7.00pm but back at 8.00am tomorrow to continue. Being well fed as staff from our office get to clear all the catering from the meeting rooms and of course they are getting everything off the better menu so we are seeing stuff we never get at our meetings - feeling rather full at the moment !

• Like 10

How can you hurt yourself making a plastic kit? Stab yourself with a scalpel? Swallow glue?

I found a new way. Open your recently-bought reading glasses, the hinge sticks and the frame snaps, hurling the lens at Mach2 into your left eye. Ouch. That really hurts! Two hours later it still feels like I've got a brick in it, but vision seems OK.

And the kit (a Coopercraft lorry) was a bit meh as well.

• RMweb Premium

It's absolutely persisting it down here now, but it's been threatening it since early evening.

Boing!!!!

Time for bed said Zeberdee

Goodnight all.

• Like 5

Evening all. I hope you all had a good first day of the working week. Today has seen the start of the new term. The first day back has been pretty good although the children were still in holiday mode and seemed to take a while to get going.  Chicken pox has hit the class as well with one child away at present.

Things are being prepared for the teacher interviews later in the week. One candidate has dropped out but we still have a strong field. I hope that things go well and we manage to make the correct appointment.

• Like 2

I don't want to get political, but I've heard the same 'Python qhote twice today. . . . . "It's a bit like The Judean People's Front, or, The People's Front Of Judea". I'll leave you to speculate on the subject. . . . . 

I gave the water meadow its first cut of the year,today.

Thoughts with the sick, recovering, . . and missing.

Goodnight everyone . . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The laws in Alberta are a bit more on the landlord's side. 7 days late with the rent,  you get a notice of pay in 7 or out. After 14 days the landlord automatically has the right to change the locks and turf out the deadbeats.

We wish!

Sadly the law here is definitely skewed in favour of tenants.

If they leave stuff behind, you can't just flog it or skip it, you have to write to them and inform them and give them the chance to reclaim.  You can charge them storage, but you have to be so careful over disposal otherwise the claims for us brigade are on your back like a nasty rash.

Although this rule  did work in the favour of a friend's daughter who arranged with the landlord to move her belongings into her flat in Chester a fortnight early.

Unfortunately, the landlord's  hired help pillock 'agent' didn't check to find out where all this stuff that had miraculously appeared in the flat came from before skipping it all.  The out of court settlement she received paid for 6 months rent.  In fact, no money changed hands, she just lived there rent free, but all her first year university course work was lost forever/.

The latest government ruling is that all landlords now have to be DBS checked, so yet another hurdle to jump through.

There is a rather strange law in place (in Alberta) still that allows you to assume an existing mortgage and to default by simply turning the keys to the bank. The slang for this is jingle mail.

Is that still on the books, Andrew? I thought they had removed that after the 1981/83 recession. So many people who were 'under water' with their mortgages just said to the banks "Here's the surety you accepted on the mortgage - goodbye!" and walked away. I thought the law had been changed after that and allowed banks to go after people for what remained on the mortgage after the repo'ed house had been sold (as had been the case in all other provinces (?) before that).

Morning all. Another coffee fuelled day coming up after yet another good nights sleep but still feeling shattered this morning.

Thinking of those sick, recovering and missing, especially Jock.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Quick visit.  Additional memory card ordered for the No.1 Camera as I have a wedding shoot booked in a few weeks and must have a back-up.  Looked at a couple of additional lenses (macro and huge telephoto) but passed on both this time around.  I feel they will eventually have homes here.

Thoughts with Jock and all others under the weather or enduring trials and tribulations.  Still hoping for good news from Clacton soon.