The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from a village that's ;lovely and sunny.

Bob, so sorry to hear about Melana's husband, life can be pretty bad at times.   

Just back from the chapel where much work has been done but it's getting harder a some fool has made up trains that run reliably so we just have to have another circuit to check that point again    and   again.

Richard,   my favourite one is 'dipstick'   though I suppose that they do have some use.   Another rather obscure one is to call someone a one percenter.  This is based on some research that 25% of you calorie intake is supposedly used in keeping your brain going,   my mate and I strongly suspect that many of the oxygen thieves that we encounter are operating at 1% or less.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

Please pass on our condolences, Bob. As you say, it's random and unfair. Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls...

On the topic of Battersea and its railways I used to teach (Year 9) using the Table of Deaths for 1871 for Wandsworth, where you were much more likely to die if you lived in Battersea, and very much more likely to die of pulmonary complaints. Kids were asked to postulate on the reasons for this, as many of the factors they thought of (air pollution from chimneys for example) applied to central Wandsworth as well. It was when I showed them pictures and maps of the railway network and told them that railways weren't electrified until the twentieth century that they caught on. It was the railways what done it. 

• RMweb Premium

Chris has just heard that her workmate Melana's husband Anton, who has been on life support the past few days, has died. I didn't know him personally but have met Melana on numerous occasions. She is a lovely lady who is always smiling and lights up the room when she enters. I fear it may be a long time before we see her smile again. They have two sons age 8 & 10.

Life can be so bloody unfair sometimes.

So sorry to hear the news about Anton, you're so right about life sometimes being very unfair. Edited by BSW01

• RMweb Gold

Apart from taking long wallows in mud, I am also inclined to help those less fortunate than myself. :angel:

Even so, I was somewhat surprised to receive a call from a gentleman this morning needing urgent assistance with a Hornby Dublo 3 rail system.

The reason I was surprised was that the gentleman had rung the local paper, The Shropshire Star, and they had provided him with my telephone number!

How they happened to have my number immediately to hand is a mystery! :O

However, it was soon apparent that both the gentleman who rang and the lady he was ringing on behalf of suffer from some form learning difficulties.

An appointment was made for 1600 this afternoon, and I dutifully turned up with my electrical and mechanical tool kit.  (That's a bit hammer, and an even bigger hammer.)

The railway consisted of two ovals, each driven by an ancient HD transformer. There was no cab control.

The outer circuit worked, but the inner one was dead.

I breathed heavily, and then the inner circuit was working as well.

They had not switched the socket on from whence the transformer was being fed.

GRRRRRRRRR

It was at that point that my upper right 7th molar decided to shed half the crown, so the rest of the afternoon was spent sitting at the fang farrier's surgery, awaiting a repair.

They were not happy either.  not because I'd turned up with my horrible gnashers is need of engineering support,  but because their receptionist was off sick and their computer system was down.

I lightened their afternoon by using my not so smart phone to show them some of the RM web jokes thread.  (I was their last patient)

They really did LOL.

But they still had the audacity to charge me for sitting in their up and down seat and entertaining them with my wit and charm.

I suppose they get away with it because they are both young and pretty (Well younger and prettier than me)

One wonders if I should sue the Shropshire Star, as if they'd not given out my phone number, I'd not have been grinding my teeth together when the tooth broke.

Put in hindsight it is quite funny 

POETS day...............Pop off Early, Tooth Split

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And exactly what shade of yellow did it turn out to be? :jester:

Orange!

(Roof spots on the Royal Class 67s 005/006)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

Evening all. Hope all are well, and those who aren't are feeling better soon.

The flat is full the smell of roast lamb, and tomorrow going with Natalie to the Electric Railway Museum, here in Coventry, for their open day. It is less than 6 miles away from here and best of all I can avoid the Toll Bar island hell from where I am :) that and it is free. Should be a good day, with an opportunity to get some photos of the 457 (traction development test unit) and the EPB (ex-Tyneside unit).

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

We (Mrs G and Myself) went to the Lakes last week for our 10th anniversary, and 12+ years of Anglo-French relations... That time has passed in a twinkling of an eye, and yet I still haven't got anywhere with the language...

Andy G

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at the "Britainfromabove.org.uk" website, in particular Title Battersea Power Station and environs, Nine Elms, 1933

Image reference EPW040850
Date March 1933
It shows the power station growing from one leg on "table" to four. You will have to ignore those who insist in posting a present day photo onto this 1933, two leg view.
I hope you will find this helpful.

Yet there are photos supposedly from that time that show all four chimneys. One in particular can be dated from the 1930's, I can only surmise that the photographs have been altered. Its quite possible the owners/builders wanted to show the building as it would be when complete.

• RMweb Premium

orange roof spots?? Go on show us some photos as I have these two in N scale

Train alert.

They're only on one end (cooler) and in slightly different places

67005 is near the cooler grille

67006 is nearer the cab window.

For anyone wandering what these are for, it's so they can easily be identified from the air.

73142 "Broadlands" carried them, as it was often used as the Royal Train loco on SR territory. I can't find a prototype pic, but here's Lima's version.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

Yet there are photos supposedly from that time that show all four chimneys. One in particular can be dated from the 1930's, I can only surmise that the photographs have been altered. Its quite possible the owners/builders wanted to show the building as it would be when complete.

My own view on this subject is it seems some individuals want to rack up their scores by showing the world what is there now, not adding information to what the 1933 photo is showing. This power station was built to answer demand, starting at one chimney and working up to four. 

Here in Hull, the 1920's photos show the Corporation owned power plant had two small wooden cooling towers and as time went by, the numbers grew. Finally there was just one large concrete cooling tower.

• RMweb Premium

Commiserations, greetings and best wishes as required.

Three days with no work.

ER-ish tomorrow to Sheffield for the weekend to watch the NIHL North League1 and League 2 ice hockey playoffs. Due to meet NB Junior at Meadowhall Interchange at 0930 (at least I'm not quite as ER as she is - her first train is at 0540..)

Four semi finals tomorrow - 1030/1.30/4.30/7.30 with the finals on Sunday at 2 and 5. 6 games for the princely sum of £30 - far better value than a bunch of overpaid prima Donnas running around a field chasing a bag full of air, whilst falling down in utter agony at the slightest touch from an opponent.

There will be much sitting down and junk comfort food consumed whilst the games are watched.

Although the Blackburn Hawks are "our" team, we'll try and watch all the games, especially the Whitley v Solihull encounter as the two teams possess the two guys with most penalty minutes for fighting - mostly against each other in their four league encounters!

There may be a trainspotting trip to Doncaster to pass the Sunday morning. After the finals, it's a drive to Colchester to deliver Junior back to Uni on Sunday evening. Coming home Monday - there may be some more trainspotting photographic research.

Hope you have a good weekend - I'm going to give it a good go..

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

I have been a bit dilatory over the last couple of days, but after - hopefully - reading nearly everything I think I have a position statement. A post from Debs was particularly nice to find.

First of all condolences to Grandadbob's lady friend - losing hubby and being left with two small bambini is nearly as bad as it gets, I'm sure. That said, when my mate (and briefly boyfriend of Sherry) Pete died at 26, his widow described their very young second child as her bouncing ball, giving her a focus to make her get on with life.

Last week, when Sherry and I should have been gently winding down before her departure for home, was largely taken up with the repercussions of Alison's admission to Intensive Care on Tuesday morning after a suspected heart attack. She was home - no fault found, as they say - by lunchtime Friday, and within 36 hours was canoodling with a new-ish boyfriend. Four days later, when I met him briefly, he was looking a bit tired before staggering out to his car and making the three plus hour drive back to his farm in the Vendée. He is back with Alison tonight, having negotiated with his two eldest kids that they could fend for themselves on a weekend when he is rostered to be their guardian. They are 28 and 18! And where does his ex their mum live? Across the road from their farmhouse! FFS.......

Meanwhile, some time back Alison had noted a flat tyre on the lawn-tractor. Her then volunteer - people who come to stay and help on the land for subsistence only (they must be mad/desperate) - a Brazilian named André, took the wheel off. Alison recently got the puncture fixed, but no sign of the wheelnut. Actually it's a bolt, so we took another one off and went to the local hardware store to find a duplicate. The pitch was wrong but we managed one about the right length. So in the hissing rain today I forced the newcomer into position with my ratchet socket wrench. Except that this newly-repaired tyre is already flat.... I have used those aerosol canister mousse inflater thingies for years on my lawn-tractor, but some bozo had advised Alison against it. Sigh. So more time in the rain using my 12v inflator thingie to get some semblance of pressure. And of course we tend not to mow very wet grass. I wonder how much pressure will be left when it dries out?

Sherry is ailing. She has some flu-like virus and is truly under the weather, not having felt so ill, she tells me, since she had shingles (again) a few years back. Tonight she had a commitment to be a chaperone at the theatre for some under-age performers at a dress-rehearsal. On arriving, feeling like death warmed up, it appeared she was double-booked, so could go home again.....

I hope your weekend happens in an orderly fashion, and hearing from Jock would be great for us all.

For anyone wandering what these are for, it's so they can easily be identified from the air.

73142 "Broadlands" carried them, as it was often used as the Royal Train loco on SR territory. I can't find a prototype pic, but here's Lima's version.

I guess bombers from both sides of the channel would aim to miss that train!

Examination went well, couple of samples taken, but overall, in the clear.

Which is worrying.

If they can't find the cause of my problem from the top or the bottom, it must, therefore, be somewhere in between! Gastroenterology awaits (or so they have told me!)

Off to Redhill and Horsham tomorrow; should give the car a bit of exercise; I'm convinced it thinks I've forgotten it!

Wishes where needed as usual.

Well, I've just got back from Glasgow. What a cockwombling waste of time. The job took 20 minutes.

Glasgow has certainly changed a lot since my last visit 21 years ago.

Excellent to see a post from Debs. That's just brightened up my day.

Bob - Will you please pass on my condolences

Ian - I hope Sherry starts to feel better soon.

I was considering attending one of the shows tomorrow but after the last 2 days I can't be bothered to drag myself out of the house.

• Like 1

Have just spent a very pleasant evening at a club monthly talk/video show. The talk was a slide show depicting the Workington, Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith line (often known as the CKP) to mark the 50th anniversary since its closure in 1966. We then showed a unique video filmed in locations all way along the line in 1965 & 1966, which is believed to be the only such film of the CKP. Having done a lot of local publicity we had a full house of 60 people attending, and we may decide to show it again, for some who would have liked to see it, but couldn't.

Off to the Maryport Model Show for the next couple of days, so I have a busy weekend ahead.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 15

We (Mrs G and Myself) went to the Lakes last week for our 10th anniversary, and 12+ years of Anglo-French relations... That time has passed in a twinkling of an eye, and yet I still haven't got anywhere with the language...

Andy G

Yes I understand that fully. I thought I would learn French but 11 years later. Nul points!