The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have been idling part of the morning, thinking of ways to describe useless persons.

Unlike AndrewC, I do not have an imaginative mind and the best I've come up with so far is:

Bol*ockless Scrot.

I now need to know whether it has been used before, or whether this is a new one?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

Up late, back in Blighty. 

Just waiting for Ocado, then off to the post office to pick up a parcel or 3. Then finding the garden furniture and putting it back...

Bests to alls.

• Like 14

Morning all. Great to see Debs back on these pages. Polly did state that she would absent for a while. Let's hope we hear from her soon. Also hoping for news from Jock, I sincerely hope that he is ok.

I lurked a little yesterday, but have not yet posted the stated hand grenade posting. I think my conscience keeps getting in the way - either that or I did not consume enough of the Mocha ale last night.

Yesterday was a stay at home day. Sarah and Amber were out at a birthday party during the day so I was left to catch up on paperwork. I made loads of progress on the assignment and have only one document left to compile to be about ready for submission. I was hoping to finish the remaining piece in the evening, but tiredness got the better of me and I downed tools in front of the television.

Yesterday I also got the final cupboard built for the spare room. This just needs filling with the various boxes of stuff that currently litter every corner of the landing! I must admit that, looking at the cupboard top, I have realised it would be very easy to add another layout board on top. This would join onto the other boards and allow about a 3ft extension to whichever layout takes up permenant residence in the room. I have not broached the idea with Sarah yet!

Since I last posted in any detail we have suffered a little setback. Sarah received contact from the bank to inform her that there has been fraudulent actions on her account. It seems her card has been cloned and a number of payments made to online betting sites. Great credit to her bank for picking up on it, and all money will be refunded. It has been a little upsetting for her however.

Today we are heading into Derby so Sarah can visit the bank to discuss the situation. Then a pub lunch is planned before I drop them off at Sarah's mum's for an overnight stop. Sarah has an appointment for a tattoo early on Saturday morning. The place is near to her mum's house so a stop over makes tomorrow less of a rush.

I can't say I am a great fan of tattoos. Sarah has a couple of small ones, one of which is a flower arrangement. Tomorrow she will have the flower arrangement expanded to include the image of Saffie's head - a lasting tribute to her beloved cat.

Enjoy your day.

Edited for IPad word prediction errors.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the land of the Estuary. Car duly collected for repair yesterday and should be back early next week, when it was up on the flatbed the damage was easier to see and it was dented a bit more than I thought at first but its still highly unlikely that it would be a write off, most of the dents are on the door and wheel arch and the alloy wheel is easy to replace if neccessary. The Renault Twingo they have given me while my car is under repair is a strange beast, apart from the horseshoe shaped steering wheel the boss isn't in the centre, gives a strange sensation when driving. Nice to hear from Debs again and a bit of news from Clacton now would be welcome.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Still waiting for the water meter installer to arrive.

In the meantime, modelling is being done. Just back at the 'puter to research a couple of loco details.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

so shopping done, the gas man cometh and goeth so finish packing then off to Skipton for lunch..mmmmhh... pork pies....mmmmh!

Have a great weekend

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I wonder if GDB is being softened up for a day in the garden? (other forms of mental torture area available)

Like young Chris I am looking at aiming at a visit to Corsham tomorrow however the intention is to travel by train/Mr Endacott's freebie 'bus from Chippenham station as i don't really fancy two lots of driving down to Wiltshire/Somerset in a week (I shall be aiming at Tytherington, near Frome, next Friday for an OF's luncheon in a hostelry, regrettably there seems to be more room every year although younger OFs do join).

Sunnyish day to day and hope it remains so for my stroll down to the surgery this afternoon - where my arm will no doubt be pumped up to see how quickly it inflates or deflates or whatever as part of the test of the efficacy of my most recent diet of pills.

Have a good day everybody and delightful to see Debs among our number - hoping that other absentees will be back among us before too long.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Sunny day so far but with dark cloud threatening. 

Defrosted the chest freezer in the garage. Removal of the ice now means the lid should shut properly; always a good feature when you use the lid as a workbench.  :mosking:

Now, of course, I don't have that excuse for producing shoddy models.  :pardon:

Not much planned today apart from a conference call with my old company to give some ongoing training/consultancy. Will be good to see how they are getting on. 

Watched an interesting program last night about the science and health issues of aging with some interesting concepts aired, but nothing that seemed revolutionary. Keep fit, avoid stress seemed to be the main things that might be implemented. I was interested in the idea of mobilising visceral fat, although the amount of lentils needed per week to do this would probably put many people off and reach for the nearest burger!

Meanwhile the MiL is heading towards pirate infested waters. The shipping company has taken a number of ex-SAS troopers on board and kitted out the ship with razor wire and water cannon. Even with all these precautions, I still don't reckon they'll keep the pirates safe from her. :D  

• Like 11

Riiight...

Ocado delivery arrived on time, well presented by Delroy. Unfortunately this was my first time with Ocado for years, having been with Sainsbury's for a long time. What I do is put in an online order when in France and have it delivered the morning after we come back. Sadly this rather bemused old codger managed to order two lots of carrots and no lots of milk or bread, so had to go out anyway. And multiple parcels were collected. When I arrived at the post office depot I timed it so that I arrived just after the parking restrictions were lifted - parking isn't allowed before 11 to prevent 'station parking' in all the streets around. I was amazed to find the streets empty of parked cars, but there were loads when I got back. Still thinking in French time...

Now got loads of plastic card, new Milliput and Wills bits to make some more buildings - Pratchett inspired hovels at the moment. I'm enjoying it a lot. Also a Wills tea stall to convert into a CMOT Dibbler sausage-inna-bun stall. And some printable transfer paper - it's all too much! I must go and make a privy! Or should that be another privy? You can't have too many privies!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the Day of POETS

Which many aspire to celebrate

In style though would you know, it's

Not an early here, but late.

No man* goes before his* time

That's if he* wants to claim full pay

For leaving early as per rhyme

Just is not the rail-way.

The weekend beckons and according

to tradition we quaff beer

But I'll just wish you all in passing

"Avagoodun" - working here!

* Words implying one sex are to be taken to imply both sexes equally

• Like 18

Morning all, hope all's well where you are,

Friday already and it's been a funny yet busy sort of week hereabouts, covering Reading and Crewe jobs Monday and Tuesday including a maiden flight over the new works at Norton Bridge, rules on Wednesday, 'not required' / off the rest of this week but loads to do around the house, garden, garage, visits to the vet etc, where does all the time go..? Despite only being in on three days this week we are getting busier, even with the recent (but now abated) threat of redundancies things are sort of picking up with road learning and some new interesting work coming our way. These small but significant new horizons have brought about a well timed 'lift' as far as my own railway mojo goes, it had seriously waned over the last twelve months or so but taking the new aggregates flow down to Battersea and backing it into the sidings at Stewarts Lane last week set the old imagination off somewhat. I was trying to picture the place in the '50s and '60s with Battersea Power Station towering over the surrounding spider's web of railway lines, it must have been quite a sight with columns of steam and smoke appearing here there and everywhere, day and night. Being a Western man at heart I'd ignored a lot of the Southern area but I'm enjoying finding out a bit more about it. Having done the job twice now I'm also enjoying the views of the older buildings which still exist in that part of London, despite being hemmed in by the new modern glass and steel towers which now stand where once upon a time domestic coal was delivered at Imperial Wharf. Although cleaned up somewhat, a lot of these older buildings still have the look of 'old London' about them. Quite heart warming in its own way.

Time for the midday brew and a trawl of Southern Region railway books!  ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 14

Morning all, hope all's well where you are,

Friday already and it's been a funny yet busy sort of week hereabouts, covering Reading and Crewe jobs Monday and Tuesday including a maiden flight over the new works at Norton Bridge, rules on Wednesday, 'not required' / off the rest of this week but loads to do around the house, garden, garage, visits to the vet etc, where does all the time go..? Despite only being in on three days this week we are getting busier, even with the recent (but now abated) threat of redundancies things are sort of picking up with road learning and some new interesting work coming our way. These small but significant new horizons have brought about a well timed 'lift' as far as my own railway mojo goes, it had seriously waned over the last twelve months or so but taking the new aggregates flow down to Battersea and backing it into the sidings at Stewarts Lane last week set the old imagination off somewhat. I was trying to picture the place in the '50s and '60s with Battersea Power Station towering over the surrounding spider's web of railway lines, it must have been quite a sight with columns of steam and smoke appearing here there and everywhere, day and night. Being a Western man at heart I'd ignored a lot of the Southern area but I'm enjoying finding out a bit more about it. Having done the job twice now I'm also enjoying the views of the older buildings which still exist in that part of London, despite being hemmed in by the new modern glass and steel towers which now stand where once upon a time domestic coal was delivered at Imperial Wharf. Although cleaned up somewhat, a lot of these older buildings still have the look of 'old London' about them. Quite heart warming in its own way.

Time for the midday brew and a trawl of Southern Region railway books!  ;)

Have a look at the "Britainfromabove.org.uk" website, in particular Title Battersea Power Station and environs, Nine Elms, 1933

Image reference EPW040850
Date March 1933
It shows the power station growing from one leg on "table" to four. You will have to ignore those who insist in posting a present day photo onto this 1933, two leg view.
I hope you will find this helpful.
Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Gold

As Mike suggested earlier it was mentioned that gardening should be the order of the day.

I decided to exercise my veto.

Am now (still) awaiting a retaliatory strike.

This may well take the form of not being asked what, when or even if I would like some food tonight.

We'll see. It's all very quiet at the moment.

Edited by grandadbob

Gardening, hmmmm.... I did about half an hour's worth of shifting old bricks, paving slabs and general gardening debris earlier and it wore me out. You're never as fit as you think! Consequently, I have retired to the much less strenuous environs of RMWeb, Autotrader and a nice afternoon brew!

• Like 12

As Mike suggested earlier it was mentioned that gardening should be the order of the day.

I decided to exercise my veto.

Am now (still) awaiting a retaliatory strike.

This may well take the form of not being asked what, when or even if I would like some food tonight.

We'll see. It's all very quiet at the moment.

Name, rank and number is all you have to give. Best of luck. :O

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Chris has just heard that her workmate Melana's husband Anton, who has been on life support the past few days, has died. I didn't know him personally but have met Melana on numerous occasions. She is a lovely lady who is always smiling and lights up the room when she enters. I fear it may be a long time before we see her smile again. They have two sons age 8 & 10.

Life can be so bloody unfair sometimes.