The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

For AndyID.

Found it - BEA Vanguard arriving at Renfrew Airport summer 1966 (scanned from a pretty scratchy print):

attachicon.gifVanguard002.jpg

Smashing - and the bonnie Braeheid power station in the background too.

I was looking for a nice pic of Braehead when I came upon this. We had a bungalow on Sandy Road, and at the time of the explosion, I was up in the spacious loft raising the ties between the rafters by a few inches so I could walk around without clonking my head. This involved bashing the ties with a large hammer, and while I was doing that the explosion happened. The whole house shook. Lorna was downstairs and heavily pregnant. She thought I had demolished the roof.

https://www.icheme.org/~/media/Documents/Subject%20Groups/Safety_Loss_Prevention/HSE%20Accident%20Reports/The%20Fire%20and%20Explosion%20at%20Braehead%20Container%20Depot%20Renfrew.pdf

The Vanguard flight was probably around 1964. Renfrew to Palma with a stop en route at Manchester. Took blinking ages to get to Palma.

We stayed in Cala Bona. My mum was a real "tea Jenny" and I remember her getting up from our table in the bar and showing the bar tender how to make tea "properly" although she didn't actually smack the poor guy on the back of his head.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry mild start and should stay that way with sunny periods forecast.

No daily orders posted but I'm waiting to hear if a parcel is being delivered here for son Steve today. He's rather miffed as he paid extra for express delivery a week ago and they still haven't provided tracking information or even advised dispatch. I believe an irate phone call will be made later.  :telephone:

My main task today will be to try and design/make some sort of cassette for my APT-E

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Morning All,

We have heavy rain this morning.  It is also very grey and foggy.

The Cats have done well after their operation yesterday.  Apart from being slightly swollen in the "appropriate" area they seem to have suffered no ill effects, other than Picasso having his tummy shaved - the Veterinary nurse was somewhat stressed while preparing him and misread the paperwork - thinking he was a female cat!  After apologising profusely, she saw to it that he went on to have the correct parts removed.

The Vanguard was a nice plane - relatively cheap to run, reliable and incredibly fast.  It is a shame that more weren't built, but of course by then the large turbo-props had really had their day.  Instead of the Viscount being replaced by the Vanguard as intended, they were largely relaced by the One Eleven - which one must say was another excellent airliner!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16

Morning all. A bit grey outside but as I don't have to venture outside today, I'm not bothered what the weather does.

At least I'll be able to look in later.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 10

Good morning one and all

For the first time in 47 years I set foot in a university library yesterday.  Brunel University, near Uxbridge, is the home of the Charles Clinker collection, which contains among other things a copy of the passenger working timetable for the area and period represented by the layout.   Armed with 7 pencils, a sharpener, a block of lined A4 and a borrowed compact camera I presented myself at the Bannerman Centre on the Brunel campus.  This goal was attained after a series of experiences - crawling round the M25 before 6.30 am, a pee and a cuppa in the Denham McDonalds and a nice Wetherspoons breakfast at the White House in Stockley Park.  Photographing 90 or so pages of timetable leads to backache and frustration that the pages will not lay flat despite the lead lined sausages kindly provided by the library.  A test print of an image once I got home was disappointing but I could never have copied out the whole book in handwriting.  How to process the data will be interesting.

More mundane things are on the cards for today - fodder run, ironing, LCGB meeting.

Best wishes to those who are ailing,recovering and supporting

Chris

• Like 16

No, the Atlantean White Ladies had conventional 2+2 seating upstairs.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3777/14236326646_c0acce3cf4_b.jpg

I remember riding on these on the X23 Clitheroe-Manchester services on shopping trips with my Grandmother. A special pre-Christmas treat was a visit to Kendal's department store on Deansgate.

Cheers,

Mick

I didn't recall correctly, as you pointed out but I knew there was a lowbridge arrangement, see this pic of the upper deck of Atlantean 1805 (as preserved):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidumpleby/13941602572

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Glorious sunshine outside, which is nice! Predictions are for somewhat cooler temperatures by tomorrow, but I hope Bill and Keith will enjoy their Leipzig visit regardless when they arrive. I'll be at the dentist's later, though today's appointment will focus on anxiety, which we thought was sensible to address before any actual dental issues.

Avagoodun, mates and materesses (hey, I coined a new term! :mosking: ) …

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a partly hazy Surrey over the downs we a few patches of sun breaking through the clouds.

Spent a fair amount of time sorting out our late friends modelling bits and finding spaces to put them.US detail packs away, Kadee couplers inserted into m Kadee box and a start made on his decal collection. All quite sad but on the other hand it's nice that they will one day find use rather than all being thrown away.

Another full day of work then round Mums tonight to see how she is recovering after her fall over Easter. She seemed OK last week when we saw her so hopefully more improvement this week which hopefully will allow her to do some gardening which she loves.
And its great that she can being in her mid 80s.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather grey village.    Looking forward o a day of putting the layout up and test running.   Hopefully we will have some good results.

Yesterday I managed to get most of the layout up to the chapel and the two meetings, Committee and AGM went well.  

Hope to hear some news from Clacton.

Jamie

• Like 16

Morning all, blue sky here for now!

Andy ID's posts have triggered a couple of thoughts.

1.The regulations that require him to report his foreign bank account are I think called FBAR. However many US taxpayers obviously felt they didn't apply to them, so the US realised the way to get the info they wanted was by making foreign banks report on their citizens' offshore financial accounts; and the way they do this is by threatening to penalize any non compliance by foreign banks. It's called FATCA, and has made the world dance to the IRS tune. Other governments have enjoyed it so much they have all got together to impose a similar but not identical reporting process with differing definitions of who and what should be reported.

2. Cala Bona. We stayed there a couple of years back and had a great time. There were some lovely little restaurants down by the front.

Not a lot else to report. The Lurker boys are on holiday from school and doing what comes naturally to them; lurking. Mrs Lurker is forever trying to get them moving....!

Have a good day all

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all..

Ed Cold still progressing.

I have received a little hint about my part in the housetidyingup process.

We need a new Hoover as her indoors and Dr Herbert have destroyed our old dyson.

I have an AGM to attend tonight which could either be boring or calamatous.

Enjoy your day and for those in different time zones enjoy your afternoon and evening.

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much to report this morning but still waiting for the replacement door mirror to arrive so not venturing out until lunchtime after the postman calls.

No, the Atlantean White Ladies had conventional 2+2 seating upstairs.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3777/14236326646_c0acce3cf4_b.jpg

I remember riding on these on the X23 Clitheroe-Manchester services on shopping trips with my Grandmother. A special pre-Christmas treat was a visit to Kendal's department store on Deansgate.

Cheers,

Mick

That is a low bridge version, you can see the four abreast seats on the top deck.

I didn't recall correctly, as you pointed out but I knew there was a lowbridge arrangement, see this pic of the upper deck of Atlantean 1805 (as preserved):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidumpleby/13941602572

The Maidstone and District Atlantians that replaced some of the Hastings trolleybuses were of this type. The lower ceiling downstairs made them very claustrophobic.

• Like 3

I haven't watched television tonight but I saw a preview of the Panorama programme on the BBC News channel last night. I can't say I was particularly surprised at the revelations. I hope Panorama aren't coming after me for my offshore holdings, I have about 40 euros on my Dutch chipcard ready for my next train ride over there.

Tony

As long as you aren't earning any interest on it, nobody will come knocking.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny and dry weather at the moment.

I went round to collect a worming tablet and some flea/tick drops for Robbie yesterday. It appears that he has to have an appointment with a vet before they can be prescribed. As the awful locum vet last time traumatised him so much last time he has to be muzzled.Robbie growled when she started feeling his lower abdomen. She said looked like he was goin gto bite and had it put on his record. He had attended there happily for 11 years. I had to put up with a lecture about how he could be a danger to children. She chased him round the examination room with a muzzle size for a Yorkshire terrier and ended up tieing his mouth up with bandage. I suppose one mad vet in a decade isn't too bad. If there is any problem supplying what is needed I will just go down to Lloyd's pharmacy. They sell the same products. Trying the muzzle on Robbie was fun. He proved to be a bit of a canine Houdini but I have fitted all the extra straps and it seems ok now. Hopefully all will be well.

Edited by Tony_S

Luckily, we have a sunny morning so far as I'm having a new gas boiler fitted. The previous one sulks whenever I go away for a few weeks and refuses to work when I return! It's been fun deciding which is my gas meter as our wonderful management company hasn't bothered to number them and they're not in numerical order! I live in Flat 4 (of 7) but my meter is the second one along!

I know there are more serious problems affecting people on here and, like everyone, I'm concerned about Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright and sunny but a bit chilly according to the management (who has G word plans -now turning into action as I trype; I am tasked to operate the vacuum cleaner).  

In the meanwhile I see yet another thread has ended up being locked but as it turned into a debate (from some folk, something different from others) about the EU I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.   We have something odd happening here about that matter as the Good Doctor has twice received individually addressed pamphlets on the subject (one from each 'lot') while the rest of us have had none.  This got even more peculiar when we received a 'phone call from the telephone voice equivalent of 'a spotty youth' asking to conduct a survey of her views on the matter - she was at work and the telephonic spotty youth has not reappeared since.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 13

Of course, one can always take unilateral action and exit oneself from the EU.

You’re lucky I keep getting that Hilary Clinton, smarmingly, inviting me, on the ‘phone (no hectoring voice there)!

Tomorrow, we may have a record low for the day of -6C.........................

Best, Pete.

Nice and brightish in sunny Teignmouth today but looking like a good chance of wet stuff.

I shall shortly be attempting to negotiate with an Italian website to buy pre-emptive tickets for the Doges Palace in Venice. It appears that you can beat standing in a queue for hours by buying tickets online. To walk across the Bridge of Sighs and visit the prison it is neccessary to buy this ticket. Apparently we will then have entry to a couple of other museums/places of interest in Venice. Although these are probably not on our list.

Apparently I pay online and collect the tickets from the Doges Palace. We will see how easily this works in the next few days and whether it involves any bribery payments.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I don't think I have ever been so keen to hear news from Clacton-upon-Windmills.  

Warm day today for the time of year.  29C was the top against a forecast 27C.  That would be on a par with London scoring 20C in the first week of October.  It made for good moods all round and some frankly very enjoyable people-watching.  16C forecast tomorrow, wet for Thursday with much the same temperature.  Easter pay has arrived.  Plenty of public holiday bonus rates.

The Good Lady has scored a named invitation to speak in Miami during June.  The invite doesn't come with air fares but she tells me she can go and figure out who pays later.  She has access to professional funds and bursaries working at the senior level she has achieved and as a PhD scholar.  "Named" means they specifically want her (in this case based upon her past conference paper presentations and personal reputation) and not just anyone from the organisation.  Another plus for the CV as well.  

It's now dark after dinner.  But it's still warm so I'm off outside to fiddle with little electric things which must not be mentioned in detail.  Be good in my absence - or if you can't be good be careful.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I'm not fiddling with little electric things which must not be mentioned but am trying to build things on which to run these unmentionables - and becoming very frustrated over lack of progress.

Actually I'm doing neither because I'm tryping on here.

Which may go some way to explain the lack of progress I suppose.

• Like 1

Morning all

.....Semi Rhetorical question: why do street beggars: a) seem to always have a good supply of booze, b] ditto nicotine, c) more often than not have a dog companion which also needs food & drink?

Wishes and thoughts with all as appropriate

So they are playing on the sympathy vote and, potentially, begging under false pretences!

Hmmm...

Now regular readers of my drivel know that I am no woolly "bleeding heart" PC liberal (far from it, one of my friends has opined that I am "slightly to the right of Genghis Khan". Hrrrmph!), but I think that we are looking at different kinds of "beggars" here: those who are (it is alleged) part of a criminal or organised network and belong to certain nationalities (no names. no pack drills) and those who are homeless and begging due to addiction and/or mental illness. It is the latter for whom I have sympathy. Some psychiatric illnesses are particularly crippling and - unfortunately - psychiatric disease does not have (and please don't take this the wrong way) the same "glitz and glamour" factor as diseases such as breast cancer or heart disease (when did we last see a star studded extravaganza in support of bipolar disorder, for example???). I think care of psychiatric illness in the UK (and elsewhere) is frequently poor and/or inadequate and with the death of the "old fashioned" psychiatric care unit to take care of such vulnerable individuals, many end up on the street, frequently in thrall to their demons (read Bill Bryson for a first hand account of how valuable such places were [Notes From A Small Island. IIRC]).

JohnDMJ asked how come such individuals manage to find money for (perceived) luxuries, such as alcohol or tobacco? Ignoring, for the moment, the addictive aspects of both, research has shown that both provide a degree of psychological comfort and has also shown that many individuals will willingly give up the "necessities" in favour of these "luxuries". It is does not take a great leap of imagination to understand how many would prefer to go through their miserable lives in a comforting alcoholic haze, rather than deal with the harsh realities of their existence stone cold sober.

Ignoring the temptation to digress into a discussion of addiction (a fascinating subject in its own right), I'd like to return to the subject of the homeless/beggars and their dogs. Certainly, some will have a dog to exploit the sympathy effect, but many will also have the animal as a companion. And, from their perspective, this makes sense: a dog won't steal drugs/alcohol/tobacco, won't steal money, won't lecture and moralise and will provide companionship, if not love (interestingly enough, one dog trainer/author wrote in a book that amongst the best "dog wranglers" she had seen were the homeless who - in her observation - seemed to partner very well with dogs).

Also, we mustn't forget how therapeutic dogs can be for the physically and mentally ill as well as for the lonely. The Supervet (aka Noel Fitzpatrick Professor of Veterinary Orthopaedics at Surrey University [amongst other hats he wears]), had a very moving episode featuring a black Lab called Spud and his owner Chris. Chris, according to the programme's narrative, had had a miserable family life, had been homeless, addicted and was at one point whilst homeless given the puppy... which gave him the impetus to get clean and find accommodation and work at a homeless shelter charity. Whatever one may think of the individual, it was clear that he was utterly devoted to the dog that helped turn his life around and would have done anything for the dog - even at one point asking Prof Fitzpatrick if he could do chores around the practice to pay for care...(sadly, Spud had metastatic cancer and despite a limb amputation to remove the primary tumour and remove pain and despite chemo treatment afterwards, Spud eventually died of cancer).

Ahem. Sorry to get on my soapbox. But anyone who cares that much about a dog ain't all bad.

Returning to what to do when asked for a contribution by a homeless person with/without a dog: A friend of ours (a vet) has a stock response when approached and asked for money "for something to eat" (a common tactic), she asks "can I get you and sandwich?" Those who truly are hungry say yes, whilst those just soliciting money for tobacco or alcohol refuse. OK it takes a few minutes more than throwing down a few coins, but does more good.

iD

p.s. I have just reread the post and realise it's quite "heavy" for Tuesday morning. Still, it's food for thought!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Nice and brightish in sunny Teignmouth today but looking like a good chance of wet stuff.

I shall shortly be attempting to negotiate with an Italian website to buy pre-emptive tickets for the Doges Palace in Venice. It appears that you can beat standing in a queue for hours by buying tickets online. To walk across the Bridge of Sighs and visit the prison it is neccessary to buy this ticket. Apparently we will then have entry to a couple of other museums/places of interest in Venice. Although these are probably not on our list.

Apparently I pay online and collect the tickets from the Doges Palace. We will see how easily this works in the next few days and whether it involves any bribery payments.

We went to the Doge's Palace on our last trip to Venice. As we had been to Venice before instead of going on one the sightseeing tours organised by the cruise we decide to spend nearly all day in the Palace. This was in August 2012. We hadn't prebookEd. I don't recall long queues. There were enormous queues to get into St Marks though. To hire the audio guide device it was necessary to leave photo ID as security, Aditi left her passport. Matthew and I trotted round obediently looking at all of the artworks. However while we were looking at the displays of assassins weapons (mini crossbows, devious daggers) Aditi wandered off to the dungeons and we couldn't find her. Fortunately we knew she would have to return to the cash desk to retrieve her passport.

We have used prebooking websites or prepay at hotels for museums recently. At the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam we still had to queue to turn our voucher into a ticket, though not as long a queue as those just turning up. At the Louvre in Paris we collected our pre booked tickets from a woman with a big umbrella outside a cafe. The queue at the Louvre was for security though rather than tickets.

Tony

• Like 6