The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Ian Pearse of Accucraft UK stopped to chat, and we briefly discussed the next 7/8ths project for after their Bagnall.is released. 

I assume Ian and Sandy still live at Brockhurst. The field there was one of many around Stretton where his late mother Pat would have horses quietly grazing. Leading a horse from one of those places right through the village to be saddled at Woodley and off over the  Long Mynd for the day was one of the joys of those years. I wasn't often among the riders, but would meet them for lunch sometimes, at Wentnor or Picklescott. More often I'd clutter off to the Severn Valley Railway, or even the Festiniog, mind!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Miserable grey day here in sunny Teignmouth. Presently dry but it looks unlikely to last.

Trying to pre-empt any problems with EasyJet for the Venice trip. Never know whether the 20Kg weight allowance is 20Kg on their scales at the airport or if they are not calibrated to be honest. I think I have only used EasyJet once before and it was years ago when they were probably EasyBiplane.

I have never had a problem with Easyjet baggage scales. I have a very very cheap digital scale that functions like a spring balance which is handy for return trips especially if one of us buys something weighing a couple of kg. They seem quite keen to offer to put your carry on in the hold free of charge at Southend and Schipol too.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Good to see that we are just about all present and accounted for. 

Lots of stuff to read and comment on, and all posts duly read and rated.

Today is the last fire of the season, as we are out of all combustible material - logs, coal, kindling, and fire lighters.  So we've got the log store part of the garage converted to its summer use of car boot stock store.  Took a while, and also very tiring so perchance this will be a short visit.

Oh but bus routes of my youth are confined to Scotland, Western SMT route 29 Kilmarnock to Darvel, which was variously served by Leyland PD2, then PD3, PD3A/30, Albion Lowlines, the ocasional Bristol Lodekka when some were transferred from (I think) Greenock, then Daimler Fleetlines, operated with a conductor.  Some of these were pretty nippy, and the PD3A/30 were very fleet of foot.  Most were open platform initially, but many later got non powered conductor operated doors, which mostly weren't closed unless the passengers did the honours - Health and Safety, eat your heart out.

When I moved Dahn Saaff, the routes that I used were mainly those around Croydon, the 68 South Croydon to Chalk Farm (RM), the 109 Westminster to Purley (RT), and the LCBS routes from West Croydon to Oldduddersland and Roundhouseland.

Generic greetings to those in need or celebrating.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hello to all. Been rather busy of late so have not been posting. Richard the 7/8th demo sounds great. I am in two minds about dipping my toe into 7/8ths. It does look nice but I have 16mm stock and some more kits to build. I do have an Edrig chassis and a coal fired boiler to fit into it but no body so it is tempting to build that as 7/8ths. Still that is a long way off as I have a rather big to do list.I must also try to take some photos from our usual daily walk up on Beacon Hill which is the end of the Quantocks looking out to sea. The sheep have been having their lambs all Sean the Sheep lookalikes. 

Don

• Like 13

Well, if today can get any worse, it'll be a miracle! I've even just managed to ruin a toasted cheese roll!

Still, can't go wrong getting to bed for an early night!?!?

Best Wishes as always

Evening All

Well, if today can get any worse, it'll be a miracle! I've even just managed to ruin a toasted cheese roll!

Still, can't go wrong getting to bed for an early night!?!?...

Well, you could slip and fall down the stairs on the way up to the bedroom or the bottom of your bath could fall out due to hidden rust just as you step into it....

Just sayin' mind you....

If something is not impossible according to laws of the universe, it could happen (not to be confused with it will happen, as "will" is down to probabilities - quite another story). E.G. there is nothing in the laws of the universe that prevents a UK manufacturer from making prototypically looking UK track for OO; however the probability that a manufacturer will do so is in the order of1/1020.... Quite another thing.

OK, OK. I'll get me coat...

Have a great "rest of Sunday" folks.

Stay Frosty

iD

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A bitter sweet day at Grumble, special train to scatter the ashes of Bill Briggs (aka Wainwright) a gent well known in the traction engine world as well as railways.

In other business.... I see this railway has been in discussions!

post-10195-0-91044500-1459709311_thumb.jpg

Richard, Ian Pearse is coming here tomorrow, for 'business discussions' with John and myself, and a little go at Grumble Glen, we're having a private steaming for him.  We have the 7/8th Decauville on pre-order if you want one.... :jester:  :O

• Like 16

Evening All

If something is not impossible according to laws of the universe, it could happen (not to be confused with it will happen, as "will" is down to probabilities - quite another story). E.G. there is nothing in the laws of the universe that prevents a UK manufacturer from making prototypically looking UK track for OO; however the probability that a manufacturer will do so is in the order of1/1020.... Quite another thing.

OK, OK. I'll get me coat...

Couple of points iD:

prototypical track: check DCC Concepts Legacy range and, I hear rumoured, a new flexi track, using bullhead rail, cambered to the correct angle, even in the associated points!

Don't forget the hat!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not long back from our late friends mothers house.

His father had two layouts. One they are keeping (Lyndfelde) for the grandson who has shown interest since seeing the Southern class 73 named after our friend.

The other layout (Bodmin Generally) is now in the back of Phatbobs car and will be heading to the North West where he hopes to get it on the exhibition circuit. We also helped clear more of our friend modelling tools, plastic sheeting kits etc. out of his mothers garage. Still loads of books to clear htough.

I now have to find space for the modeling bits that I offered to take. There is enough 009 track to build a sizeable layout!

• RMweb Premium

Hmm...

post-10195-0-37690800-1459710462.jpg

As for Domodossola - we called it Dumpodossola - see the evidence between the rails, where folk don't read the 'not in the station....' signs.  The contrast to the cleanliness, neatness and graffiti free Switzerland just through the tunnel was marked.

post-10195-0-52726700-1459710474_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

So went out to get a takeaway - coolant level light came on in the car - so going to work by train tomorrow.

However as we're ten miles from the station Sandy will be up to give me a lift. The garage will have to sort the car.

Bu99er!

So went out to get a takeaway - coolant level light came on in the car - so going to work by train tomorrow.

However as we're ten miles from the station Sandy will be up to give me a lift. The garage will have to sort the car.

Bu99er!

When that happened on my Fiesta a couple of months ago, it needed a new water pump. You're wise not to drive it any further.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. It's been a very quiet day, with bu99er all done, very relaxing.

Back to work tomorrow though, Ho hum.

Bob. Thoughts are with Chris's friends husband, hope the outcome is a good one!

Goodnight all.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well the battle (not really but it felt like it at times is almost over with several bits left to chop into tiny pieces to go in the bin and most of the stuff that needs sawing up duly sawn up.  Fortunately the good Doctor arrived home from counting olives (some sort of stock check it seems) just in time before I cut down a major part of it that was inches away from next doors 'phone  line - just as well as when it came down it went in an unexpected direction and although handy for chopping the top out it needed two of us to manoeuvre it off the fence.  And all done before the rain arrived, and today only one bough was in GDB territory - duly landing on my head.

G'night one and all.

• Like 10