The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

F1 quali was better than Melbourne. But not much. The C4 presenter is a waste of space, adds no value whatever.

Early evening I heard what sounded like a mini-explosion, thought I had mis-heard. Then a knock at the door revealed a lady in her 40s who introduced herself as the farmer and explained she'd installed a crow-scarer. She said it should shut off overnight, and in truth I didn't hear it after about 19.30, which is fine. It started again about 7.40. She gave me her phone number in case it misbehaves.

Sunny start but it will cloud over later, and be wet by teatime.

Hope your day pleases.

• RMweb Premium

First launched in 1936, Pete, it then ran to Croydon Airport, but by 1938 that changed to Addiscombe Black Horse. By your era it was only running to Thornton Heath garage, later cut back to Streatham garage. By 1970 it stopped running north of Charing Cross.

Edit : Duncan beat me to it!

"Only" being a relative term.  West Hampstead to Thornton Heath is right across London north to south and about 15 miles through all sorts of traffic.  Even in Pete's day that would have taken about 90 minutes end to end through the daytime.  15 miles might not seem a lot but when you are running buses every 5 or 10 minutes and a round trip takes three hours that's a lot of resources.  The 59A was withdrawn in 1972 by which time it was cut back to a Whitehall - Streatham Garage operation.  The 59 itself had been Sundays-only since 1949 and was another cross-town marathon from West Hampstead or Camden Town to Chipstead Valley, the latter deep in leafy Surrey countryside.

Greetings one and all.  A grey start to winter with the hourglasses adjusted gave way to a comfortably sunny afternoon.  With the Good Lady head-down in her PhD studies opportunity was taken to cary out a not inconsiderable amount of work in the hobby area.  Tomorrow it's back to the Palace for a seven-day stint.

Hoping to hear from Jock soon even if indirectly.  All the best to our other sick and suffering.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Ed cold still progressing despite a curry and two together nctures last night.

I now hav my scoring laptop so will try and score the England final today.

I have some indoor umpiring to do as well later today so I will be busy.

Have a nice day.evening all.

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

We used to take the 414 from just south of South Croydon to meet relatives at Gatton Point, just before Redhill. Funny how bus numbers take you back to childhood. Always liked going at the front on top.

Mal

Its the 405 these days.

last night we sailed out at Merstham station and took that bus to just South of that place. Despite the train being late we just made the connection with the bus.

An excellent day yesterday touring numerous hostelries and breweries. Beavertown Brewery near Tottenham Hale station had a ten minute wait in a queue stretching outside into the car park so we got two rounds. It wasn't cheap as there is a £2.50 deposit on each glass. Luckily we didn't need to queue up again to get the deposit back.

Back into London and we visited a beer fest going on in Spitalfields Market.

A quick drink in a german beer bar near Liverpool sStreet then time to go home leaving the remaining group of friends to finish off in Croydon.

Modelling this morning. Lord Beaverbrook now has a coat of matt varnish and now drying.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a damp village.  My typing is being somewhat hindered by  black ball of fur who seems to think that my hands should be rubbing his head or now his tummy.   If I type he pushes his paws, with claws out.

The nearest trolleybuses to us were in Bradford and silent was the word.  I once went from the western edge of Bradford at Thornton to Leeds and changed from trolley to motorbus at Thornbury, the boundary.   The contrast between the silent trolley and the rear engined Atlantean that seemed to be trying to shake itself to death was very apparent, especially when it was idling at a stop.

Yesterday went well with a good breakfast at church to start.   Then after lunch I went to the clubrooms to load the car with 3 more boards, two control panels and assorted stock and wiring crates.  I then went to see Tony.  He's not well and in a lot of pain but is till modelling in his wheelchair with a tray attached to it. 

One of the 6 wheel bogies on my clerestory diners had decided to fall apart so he was sorting that out.  He had his iron, flus, tools etc on the tray and soldered the errant white metal side frame back on with the wheels all in alignment, whilst I made tea for us and chatted.  By then he'd had enough and his hand was shaking too much so I reattached the bogie to the coach and he then lubricated all the bearings.  We had a good natter and it seemed to cheer him up but it's not easy to see such a good modeller and friend like that.  He's finishing off the locoshed doors and then wants to do the Stationmasters House that I've had the plywood cut for. 

Anyway back home after a couple of hours, car unloaded and then an evening doing not a lot and reading.  

Today I'm off to collect the last boards from the club shortly before church then if the weather clears will do some carpentry on the drive.

Hope to hear from Jock soon.

Also will try and listen to the T20 final.

Jamie

Morning all. A little grey and wet again this morning but hopefully the weather will improve as it did yesterday. I also hope that we hear some positive news about Jock soon. His return to hospital is quite a concern.

Great to see some more fantastic pictures from our friend in the Staffordshire Moorlands. It really does appear a beautiful part of the world. Despite not living too far away I have to confess that I have only sampled the area around the Churnet Valley Railway or the old Blackbrook Zoo.

Here in Derby we are emerging from another night lacking in sleep. Amber couldn't sleep because of the scratching. She ended up sitting with us whilst we had our late Saturday meal. She also joined us in bed to watch Match of the Day. She drifted off before it ended, but was awake periodically during the night. The spots seem to be scabbing over now and she is not ill with it, just irritated!

Today is one of Sarah's Avon collection days do we will be out in relays collecting books. She will probably go to the church service this morning. In the afternoon I am hoping to get stuck into school paperwork. After failing to make progress over the last two days I can feel the stress levels building.

Enjoy your Sunday.

I used to catch a number 1 bus to and from school. I always thought it rather special that Bristol had Bristol buses. Just as it was being a County as well as a City. I could, if I chose, catch a number 2 instead. Nothing like being top of the list!

• Like 10

Morning all. It's sunny outside but forecast to be wet later. The van might not get washed, I'll just have to see.

Ian (OD) - I have to agree with you about F1 qualifying. I'll have to see what the race commentary is like but I feel that I'll end up following it online.

Really hoping for some good news from Jock.

Not a lot planned for today except watching/following the GP.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 13

I used to catch a number 1 bus to and from school. I always thought it rather special that Bristol had Bristol buses. Just as it was being a County as well as a City. I could, if I chose, catch a number 2 instead. Nothing like being top of the list!

The Number 2 bus in Bristol is now powered by ex-human waste gas.

http://geneco.uk.com/News/BioBusSecond.aspx

Appropriate number.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny, not too warm.

We are off to Enfield today to see MiL. We will need to go via the shops as she asked us to bring some yoghurt, "biggest size,plain,full fat".

Aditi has made a birthday cake for our nephew who will be in Enfield today. Aditi wasn't quite sure whether it would still be celebrated as his other Gran died yesterday. But Aditi spoke to her brother in law and they will come round to MiL's for cake. I think the yoghurt is to accompany the lunch not the cake.

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well it's the lull before the storm as we await the family. I've been told to get upstairs and keep out of The Boss's way so that's fine by me.  :yes:

Nicki's birthday is actually 5th April and whilst sitting here thinking (I am capable of doing so occasionally) I've just remembered that when she was born we could claim back income tax for our children.

I received the large sum (for me in 1972) of a £66 tax rebate which was quite handy at the time. I think I was earning less than £30 a week in those days. Looking at how she's turned out and the grandchildren she's produced I think I would have paid the Inland Revenue the 66 quid!  :yes:  :whistle:

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Ordered a replacement door mirror for the car and it should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest, a very reasonable £9.99 post paid. Now looking around for a dash cam and one for the rear parcel shelf as well perhaps. I did make a few puchases at the show yesterday mainly models to pose with my OTP models but one little diecast farm trailer I acquired that I'd never seen before. It has a yellow tipping body on a black chassis about 2 inches long with just the name 'Bruder' stamped underneath. I am not sure of the scale but it is probably HO but it does seem to fit in with other 00 scale models. I hope we hear from Jock soon and a 'get well soon' to other ailing ER's and their families. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Reasonable weather so far but wet stuff promised for this evening, bacon sarnies duly consumed and on my third cuppa so all is reasonably well with the world.

One buddleia duly attacked yesterday, score draw as a lot of it can only be accessed from next door so I'll have to pop round and have go from that side - it's about 14 ft high but that shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all.

Just to let you know Mum's funeral takes place tomorrow at 1pm and that I'll be back online during the week.

Many thanks for your kind wishes.

[Photo withdrawn 14-04-2016]

Mum on her "Wheels" March 2014.

May she rest in peace.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Ordered a replacement door mirror for the car and it should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest, a very reasonable £9.99 post paid. Now looking around for a dash cam and one for the rear parcel shelf as well perhaps. I did make a few puchases at the show yesterday mainly models to pose with my OTP models but one little diecast farm trailer I acquired that I'd never seen before. It has a yellow tipping body on a black chassis about 2 inches long with just the name 'Bruder' stamped underneath. I am not sure of the scale but it is probably HO but it does seem to fit in with other 00 scale models. I hope we hear from Jock soon and a 'get well soon' to other ailing ER's and their families. Bye for now, be back later.

Bruder also did a lot of 1:16 scale stuff.It was quite sturdy and had a lot of play value for those with little fingers.

We successfully converted their fork lift truck and digger into some passable 7/8ths vehicles for the old Wrekin Havoc railway (not Havock as it was frequently misspelled) 

You will all be releived to learn that the bathroom cleaning has been successfully completed................using 'The power of steam', as well as a modicum of elbow grease.

This afternoon bodes well for some laying of sub ballast for my garden line 'Pant Y Gyrdwl'.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Richard, although it fits in well with 00 scale models it is to a (lot) smaller scale. I have some similar products from Universal Hobbies, both they and Bruder appear to make excellant models. Manufacturers of agricultural models tend to use scales of 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128 and it appears my purchase is of the smallest scale.

Miserable grey day here in sunny Teignmouth.  Presently dry but it looks unlikely to last.

Trying to pre-empt any problems with EasyJet for the Venice trip.  Never know whether the 20Kg weight allowance is 20Kg on their scales at the airport or if they are not calibrated to be honest.  I think I have only used EasyJet once before and it was years ago when they were probably EasyBiplane.