The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

First time I went to Copenhagen and saw the lift button to summon it "ein fahrt", I tittered a little.

Your first trip to Bern (by train) will give you a little titter too! There is the junction between lines to Interlaken and to Olten (for Zurich, Basel and beyond) known as Wankdorf! It is also home to the Stade de Suisse, the second biggest all-seater football stadium in Switzerland!

• Like 9

the 414 had 65 Fare Stages.

We used to take the 414 from just south of South Croydon to meet relatives at Gatton Point, just before Redhill. Funny how bus numbers take you back to childhood. Always liked going at the front on top.

Mal

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Our only bus service in my childhood and teens was the orange and black liveried Pennine buses based then at Gargrave, which came from Skipton through Settle and sometimes on to Ingleton and Lancaster.  The last bus from Skipton on a weekend always used to wait in the bus station till both the Odeon and the flea pit (officially the Plaza) had turned out.  Fortunately the bus station was opposite the Odeon and the flea pit wasn't far away.  The drivers had a good Idea who had used the bus to get to Skipton that evening and it was even know on occaisions to divert past various drinking establishments to collect everyone, even if they then travelled the 16 miles to Settle sitting on the front step with the door partially open so that the driver didn't have to mop the floor.   Sadly the company closed down a couple of years ago.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The drivers had a good Idea who had used the bus to get to Skipton that evening and it was even know on occaisions to divert past various drinking establishments to collect everyone, even if they then travelled the 16 miles to Settle sitting on the front step with the door partially open so that the driver didn't have to mop the floor.   Sadly the company closed down a couple of years ago.

Jamie

H&S would not allow that today!

• Like 1

Beautiful day here in sunny Teignmouth. Pretty warm sitting out in the sun for a change.

We put some weather apps on items this morning to see the forthcoming Venetian weather. 3 different weather apps give quite a variety of weather in the coming week. I suggested that daily we consult phones and tablets and take the one with the best weather on offer when we go out that day.

AndyRam I think a low profile is best kept by you this eve mate. The Forest score doesnt look good.

I think Spurs title chances will start derailing this evening, I cant see us beating the Scouse. Ah well!

• Like 7

Your first trip to Bern (by train) will give you a little titter too! There is the junction between lines to Interlaken and to Olten (for Zurich, Basel and beyond) known as Wankdorf! It is also home to the Stade de Suisse, the second biggest all-seater football stadium in Switzerland!

I know we have broached this subject previously but Wankdorf in Switzerland is equally as good as F u c k i n g in Austria.

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The day started well and I had a nice morning at Barleylands at the exhibition. However just after I left the venue which is situated on a narrow country road I saw a cyclist approaching, the cars behind him waiting until the road was clear before passing him, that is except one BMW driver who decided that he couldn't afford the few seconds of his life and overtook the cyclist as I approached. I braked and pulled as far over to the verge as possible but he still hit my door mirror shattering the glass, needless to say he didn't stop. Then to cap it all less than an hour later another BMW parked on my route the driver decided to pull away from the kerb as I was passing leaving a scrape along the rear nearside of my car. Luckily the driver in the second case was very apologetic and gave me his insurance details. A dash cam will be purchased ASAP.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Just managed to catch up, having logged on about six hours ago.  Such is life....

Also hope to hear from Jock, and that this is only a minor setback.  Ian, some of the stories that you have about your friend remind me of Peyton Place (for the youngsters, Google it).  You do certainly go well beyond the call of duty.  Mal, hope you're on the mend after your chemo soon.

Other than that, posts duly rated, and generic greetings to everybody else.

Hope to look in tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 11

Totally p@ssed off with the weather here. It rained all day yesterday and has done the same today. No walk done either day, which is probably just as well, as we did a three hour walk in the sun on Friday, and I got a blister as my walking shoes were rather worn out. New pair found in the cupboard and will hopefully be broken in over the next day or so. Old pair will do for gardening in until they completely give up on me.

The carp weather has meant that there has been a little progress on my layout for the first time for a month. Slight redesign also done after a motorised point was too close to the edge of a board to fit the point motor and point switch.

• Like 3

We used to take the 414 from just south of South Croydon to meet relatives at Gatton Point, just before Redhill. Funny how bus numbers take you back to childhood. Always liked going at the front on top.

Mal

From January, 1959 - July, 1961 I travelled on the 414 from Dorking to Capel to attend my beloved primary school. We had moved from Capel in November, 1958 and I had become seriously ill with Scarlet Fever. Our GP thought this was caused partly through the stress of the upheaval of changing schools so my parents, concerned that a change would adversely affect my chances of passing the 11+, decided to keep me at Capel Primary School.

It paid off as I passed the examination and went on to attend Dorking County Grammar School. OD was also a pupil there and over 50 years later ...... well, as they say, the rest is history!

• Like 14

Evenin' all,

Best regards to all that ail.

Opportunistic Longnor fish & chip tea on a lovely Moorland evening just now. We try to find different routes to the chip shop too.....this one via Flash & Dale Head, passing close by Hillhead quarry on the outskirts of Buxton.....

post-7795-0-27756700-1459620087.jpg

post-7795-0-87738100-1459620074.jpg

post-7795-0-14019400-1459620066.jpg

post-7795-0-19542600-1459620055.jpg

post-7795-0-00672200-1459620047.jpg

post-7795-0-57199900-1459620038.jpg

post-7795-0-21457600-1459620026.jpg

post-7795-0-82303100-1459620017.jpg

post-7795-0-87034500-1459620009.jpg

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Here's hoping good things for Jock, Mal, Is and anyone else suffering.  OD's a pretty good bloke too, isn't he.  Ashers needn't answer that one!

Well, spent all morning sh*pping......ever worse, it was for a washing machine!  Our 12 year old Bosch finally died, it could have been kept going a little while longer but the commutator was very worn, perhaps I should have used genuine brushes....which are a fortune.  However, as it needed brushes, a belt and was making a 'bearing going' noise we cut our losses and bought....a new Bosch.  12 years is pretty good, given the abuse the poor things get, 'other makes' in the past have struggled to half that.  The person that translated the instruction book from Deutch to Germlish needed help from Dom though.....awful, as bad as the far eastern ones.  We pressed some buttons and it works!

Like Simon, we have had two very wet days, pretty miserable really.  Of course spending good train money on washers wasn't fun either.

My SPROG (no, not Charlotte) has arrived back from Andrew Crosland, so I need to try that and see if it is working properly now.  Very quick service I must say.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 14

I've been working on the reports today and got a fair bit completed. Tonight was a chinese takeaway and now I feel stuffed and just want to doze off.

LE - I have 4 devices with different weather apps and they all had it as warm and sunny today with showers this evening. They were all wrong. It started raining mid afternoon.

Phil - It's amazing how useful a dashcam is. I also find it interesting watching some of the recorded footage to see how many cockwombles you haven't noticed.

Still hoping that Jock's stay is nothing serious and his return is imminent

• Like 14

After the morning rain cleared a very pleasant afternoon the Brecon Beacons. Then back to find some Welsh lamb chops on offer - which got roasted in the barbecue (amazingly adaptable these things) 

Now sitting outside that and a couple of bottles of cider between us and contemplating she who should be doing the washing up - I cook - she deals with the debris.

So far, very little movement.

• Like 13

Buses in teens?

LT 59A. Catch it at Broadhurst Gardens and West End Lane, West Hampstead - 20 feet from both Klook’s Kleek and Decca Studios. Through Kilburn to St. John’s Wood and past EMI’s Studios on Abbey Road. Keep on it and jump off in the West End or continue down to the river and over into Lambeth and step off on Albert Embankment for Decca’s HQ - never went further than that.

My childhood was short as I signed to Decca at 16....

Edit It may have gone on to Mitchum but I’m not sure...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

So a good time was had in Barnsley where the steak pie, chips, mushy peas and mint sauce went down well!

Andy - I think the NYMR are a steam engine down at the moment. When I travelled last week the  first train from Whitby was Black 5 Eric Treacy hauled. The first train from Pickering was a Q6 which isn't mainline plated ( I think) so they swapped it for Sybilla (Sulzer Type 2) The next train from Pickering was Class 37  (37264) hauled.So steam on trains form Whitby depends on when the Black 5 was available. The Q6 was taking it in turns with the 37 on non Mainline running while Sybilla can work trains into/out of Whitby.

Sleep well everyone!

Baz

• Like 9

I know we have broached this subject previously but Wankdorf in Switzerland is equally as good as F u c k i n g in Austria.

Then there's the abbreviated form of the name of the company running services from Domodossola into Locarno, Ferrovie Autolinee Regionali Ticinesi - work it out for yourselves!

APT-e transporter!

attachicon.gif2016-04-02 20.18.36_resized.jpg

Where do you get those blue foamy things? Are there smaller versions which could be used for N or even Z?

Back from a lonesome meal and beer so off to bed.

Wishes to all as usual

Good Night!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Missed Pete's post.. buses in my youth.. United Bristol Lodekkas on the 40, Northern Buses (different colour)  on 452, United long distance Bristol single deckers (also seen on the X5 express bu to Newcastle and the  occasional  blue SDO bus hauled out of the back of the garage in Sunderland to get you to the Big Meeting.

Of course if you went to school in Old Hartlepool you went of a "private bus" - lockeys of West Auckland - they had some really old buses and we had coaches from Kelvins in Blackhall.. they had an even wider eclectic mix of old coaches ..and if you missed the bus it was a trip to West Hartlepool then a Hartlepool Corporation bus (of various elderly vintages) to school... Happy Days!!

• Like 10