The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

If iD thinks Emmylou's version of Pancho and Lefty sounds like elevator music they must have good elevators in Switzerland. Though I would have thought the track was a bit long for Swiss elevators! B)

They do. Made usually by Schindler - Schindler's Lifts?

Good night all

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When doing my family research I discovered that one branch of the family came from the Isle of Portland back in the 1870's. The Isle of Portland at that time had a small population and a reputation for in-breeding and just by co-incidence many of my family have a strong resemblance to each other and can be traced back to that same branch of the family. :O Hopefully Jocks stay in hospital will be a short one and he'll be back posting soon. Commiserations and congratulations where neccessary and goodnight all.

• Like 2

Just got back from a quick trip to our local Sainsbury's, where I cashed £15.00 worth of nectar points for a £30.00 voucher to by wine. So I ended up paying £3.25 for 5 bottles of wine.

That will keep us going for a couple of weeks, hic, hic.

Weeks? My arse. Gone by midnight. :-)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I did buy a bottle of red wine this afternoon but only one as I was in M&S and they seem to be more expensive than Waitrose. I thought we were having steak but we had fish so I just had some beer. As it was with chips I thought Belgian beer to be appropriate. I never got to play with my new train in the garage today as we decided we needed to do some shopping if I am to avoid looking scruffy on the holiday next week. iD mentioned elevator music earlier. The tune playing in M&S as I entered the food section was Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum. Not your usual supermarket song I thought. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. It's been a hit grey and overcast today, but not really cold. Sheila went for her 6 monthly checkup at the dentist, so I went swimming this morning instead of this evening, which means I can stay in tonight and have a glass of red, mmmmmmm.

Whilst I was swimming, the water company came back, repaired the leak and back filled the hole. The resurfacing of the footpath took place just before 4:00 pm, but the road still awaits the same work, so the guards rails and bollards are still up around it.

Just before lunch, the window cleaners turned up, so I had to rush out and unlock the back gate for them. They hadn't finished cleaning the windows when it started raining, Doh!

We've had the 3 youngest grandkids round for tea tonight, and Evie is spending the night, she's currently tucked up in the back bedroom, so there'll be no lie in for us in the morning. Her elder sister will join after breakfast, they play really nicely when it's just yo 2 of them, no doubt they'll be a DVD watched before the go home. They'll both be returned mid afternoon on Saturday, after which we'll probably flop down on the sofa and have a nap. This will be followed by an Indian take away. Well it is the start of the month, not that I need any excuse!

OD. Glad to hear that they was nothing serious with Alison, although stress can be very serious indeed. The ex sounds like a right bar-steward.

Baz. The food at the Magpie, it wonderful isn't it?

Mal. Sorry to hear that your last bout of chemo has been lingering longer than usual. Sometimes it can be a real pain in the ar5e can't it?

AndrewC. Re: Bob Dylan, I'm with you 100%, regarding cover versions of his songs!

Jock. Hope all goes well.

Tongue firmly pressed in side of cheek when I made the above posting.

I once said jokingly whilst buying a dozen or so bottles of wine, "these'll last me the weekend", the look on the girls face at the till was a picture!

So was Sheila's come to think of it!

Goodnight all

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

. The tune playing in M&S as I entered the food section was Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum. Not your usual supermarket song I thought.

Last time I heard that was Mother-in-Law's funeral almost 12 months ago - although we got the Gareth Gates version !

• Like 4

As predicted, I didn't do a lot after my last post. I now feel quite refreshed but slightly tired.

Mal - I hope that you recover properly very soon.

Wishing Jock a quick discharge from being on shed.

Night all

• Like 11

Re Bob Dylan songs . . I usually prefer covers to his own version, except when I try . . .My voice now sounds like F4rt up a Cundy! . . . I'll leave you to explain that one, Baz.

Thoughts with the sick/recovering.

I managed a little more mucking out today.

Goodnight Everyone . . . Sweet dreams.

John.

Edited because I really should read BEFORE hitting the Post Button. . . Numpty!

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 9

They do. Made usually by Schindler - Schindler's Lifts?

Good night all

We enjoyed a chuckle when we noticed that the lifts in the Costa del Sol hotel in which we stayed some years ago were supplied by Schindler. Unfortunately, someone among the group of Brits who arrived at the same time was of that mental cast which demands that the joke be elaborated by scratching "Schindler's Lift", in large uneven letters, into the control panel. Bah!

• Like 1

I bet you just bought bottled water Brian and turned it into wine. Messiah!

Cross fertilising threads LE?

Mornin all. Awake for no other reason than my sleep pattern is stuffed up still.

Good news is that I can get around indoors at least without the need for crutch or stick, even stairs can be negotiated conventionally, at least in the up direction. Down is still a little awkward.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

One from my buddy Brendon who drives for our tramways as well as being a photographer / videographer of all transport systems.  This records the final day of operation at East Preston depot which closed recently.  Quite long - and you can skip huge chunks if it seems repetitive - but it does show aspects of the everyday operation of a major tram depot.  Compare and contrast with Dom's images.

• Like 10

Good morning one and all.  Fingers still crossed for Jock so expect some typos.

Yesterday was a bit unproductive but the tool kit was unloaded from the car eventually.  One of today's tasks is to round up the items from it that were not retrieved earlier in the week, including the box of drills and the wire bending jigs.  Oh dear, I'm talking about m*d*ll*ng again.  Must be on final warning by now ... 

Enough time was wasted answering the phone to annoy me.  There is one outfit whose recorded message says that it has been trying to contact me urgently about a government initiative concerning new boilers, press 2 for further information, press 9 to be removed.  A few months ago I got a succession of these calls.  After pressing 9 unsuccessfully a few times I pressed 2 and told a rather startled person that I wished never to hear from them again.  It seems to be no good reporting them to the Information Commissioner [whose webshite I have never been able to make work] or the TPS.   1471 told me that '01567 xxxxx' called, to return the call press 3'.  As I resent paying 23p to return a call which I could dial myself as part of my call plan I dialled it myself.  Guess what:  'The number you have called has not been recognised'.

As if that weren't enough, I was about to sit down to midday snack - herring milts on toast, a delicacy - when the phone rang again.  This time it was someone I was happy to engage in conversation, to wit a friend.  Juggling the phone, the tray and the milts on toast led to one of the slices of toast ending up on the carpet, fortunately milts side up but close enough to the sofa for some of the ketchup that adorned the milts to transfer itself to the throw that is supposed to protect the sofa.  How irritating.

Today should see some preparation for Monday when I will be visiting Brunel University for research purposes.   I will need breakfast before a hard day's studying and have learned that there are two Wetherspoons in Uxbridge.  Spoilt for choice!  If the weather is suitable it is high time that some gardening was done but we shall see.

Best wishes to all who are ailing, recovering or otherwise sufffering

Chris

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Back from Robin Hoods Bay late last night. God a Ed cold!

Off to Barnsley CC for a training course and to collect my scorers computer...

To me a cundy is a small tunnel carrying water (or effluent) through it. We used to play in the one in Castle Eden Dene under the Horden to Blackhall road.

It was a bit echoey and fairly dark.

Off to get my mug of tea then onwards and upwards.

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all fro a somewhat damp village.   Off to the mens breakfast at church shortly for a full plate of nosh and to unload a crate of baseboards.  Then a day of various tasks including collecting another pair of boards from the clubrooms.  I'll probably call and see Tony who isn't doing well.  Apart from that not a lot to do.   Next week is going to be busy with the layout up for a running/snagging week at the church so I'm getting things out sorted out beforehand.

I hope that we get some news fro Jock before long.   Mal, I hope that the after effects of the last chemo wear off and that it has done it's job.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a sunny Surrey. A great night last night in bars around South London. Only marred by our train being late just missing the bus home both from Coulsdon South and then Redhill so a walk home getting in close to midnight. This morning it's the bus that hasn't shown and none for 45 minutes heading to Croydon so train there instead. Anyway a couple of photos at Redhill

post-1557-0-61858100-1459582132_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-75289000-1459582144_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Hope you're soon firing on all cylinders Mal and also hope Jock gets back home soon.

It's a beautiful, dry, warm sunny start to the day and should stay like that until later this afternoon when there is the chance of rain.

Daily (ie morning) orders have been posted by The Boss. Looks like shopping followed by domestics as we have visitors tomorrow.

(No gardening has been mentioned by her and I'm not going to remind her about it although I have some old fence panels to cut up and dispose of....eventually.)  

However this afternoon I shall please myself as she's off out to afternoon tea with her friends from work. Hope they have a very (long) enjoyable time.  :yes:  

This will enable me to visit the railway room and also watch come rugby. (in peace)  :whistle:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 12

Wales - rain - but promising to clear later.

Here's hoping for Jock. And hope that Mal soon gets to feel more human.

Out later to the Heads of the Valleys - time for some mini-mountains.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 12

Wales - rain - but promising to clear later.

Here's hoping for Jock. And hope that Mal soon gets to feel more human.

Out later to the Heads of the Valleys - time for some mini-mountains.

Is it still possible to access the old LNW trackbed on the HotV line?