The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

More spotless photos from Dom; I swear he does a "litter pick" before he takes them. 

I remember being in Belize and taking a photo of the river in Belize City where the most incredibly disgusting things , from "Floaters" onwards ( if you fall in the first thing they do is pump your stomach, and the second is fill you full of drugs to stop you catching things like parasitic worms!) (The local kids dive off the bridge into it an swim happily all day!!!) When the photos were developed they appeared completely pristine, even under magnification, with no sign what-so-ever of the "Yuckyness!"

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 7

Nice photo of Mount Baker. I do like the volcanoes in the NW USA. Will be seeing them again this Summer.

Me too. I also like “San Francisco Volcano Field”  around Flagstaff AZ - most of the cones are of the walk-around size yet the main one, San Francisco peak itself currently 12, 633 feet could, if it had not blown it’s top off, been the tallest peak in North America. “Humphrey’s Peak” is at the highest point of the remains.

It’s the reason that it is all downhill to Phoenix...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_volcanic_field

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

My parcel similar to the one Bob is waiting for arrived the day we departed for Utrecht. The neighbours took it in. I went round to collect it this morning. My poor neighbour was quite upset as their other neighbour (not a nice man) had driven into her car yesterday, ranted at her in he roadway and sworn rather unpleasantly at the children. The smallest one seemed quite affected by it and wanted to tell me about it. The constabulary have been informed. Unpleasant chap told my neighbour that everyone hates them and only pretend to be nice. I said he is in my opinion, bonkers.

Afternoon all.

To the doctor yesterday; bloods were good, I'm still not diabetic, my liver and kidneys are coping and cholesterol was so good that we're reduced my statins.  Then to Bromley Wetherspoons to discuss the summer holiday with Mike (this is the post Flavio bit).  Mike will fly out to Wien, a couple of days then on to Budapest, then back to Wien and we'll fly back together.  Somehow four pints were consumed.

This morning was spent on the webby thing, looking up brewpubs in the two cities.  Some gardening this afternoon, then some work on the Cambrian brake van.

Tomorrow involves a blood donor session (I do hope any recipient isn't teetotal) then the monthly management meeting at the charity.

Keep well, all.  Bill

• Like 17

It’s worth looking into if you have say eight to ten people traveling together...

Best, Pete.

Agreed, sadly since we (all the consultants at the company I work for) are spread across the US, it's seldom that I'm travelling other than alone to a given client. Occasionally there may be one other person from Minneapolis or at best two <sigh>. Next time I win the lottery I'll take a private jet to Teterboro just to say I did :jester:

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, blue and grey skies here today with occasional showers keeping me out of the garden!

Took delivery this morning of two new bar stools which were only ordered yesterday morning so pleased with the delivery side of things.

I didnt think the old ones needed replacing but there you go, one of the old ones has now found its way into my shed!

Some comment this morning on flights ie were you can fly from and to, there used to be 2 airlines flying the Manchester- Gatwick route, now no one flies this route which means either train/drive or fly to Heathrow and transfer or drive to Newcastle and fly to Gatwick!

So Gatwick has become an airport of last resort certainly in this household.

My next trip to the states in autumn will see us fly from Dublin to Charlotte and then on to Fort Myers on Business Class tickets for £998 each return. Saving just over £1.2k with the advantage of clearing Customs and Immigration in Dublin thus being treated as an internal flight when we land.

Flying to Dublin is cheaper than to Heathrow and roughly the same time,if we flew direct from Manchester to the USA it would cost us £950 more which is not to be sneezed at.

Crazy really!

Enjoy your day folks

Alan

• Like 11

HUMP morning from Long Island...

Positively ZERO to report from yesterday trapped down in the dungeon, so there goes another day <ka-ching>

2C and sunny driving in this morning expecting 11 for a high and an altogether nice day - I'll see about 40 minutes of it at lunch time. :O

Wave to the wild-blue-yonder for me all those lucky enough to see it, make the best of your day.

Afternoon all. The sun is shining here in South Derbyshire. Amber went to bed with three chicken pox like spots on her back and chest. I expected to find her covered this morning, but only one more has appeared since. In fact the biggest has already burst and could scab over soon. She has felt fine in herself so, after consulting the party organiser, Amber was able to go after all. It turns out most have recently had it anyway. That was good news and Amber had a great time. We will keeps eye on things and hope that she gets away with a mild case. I know that some of her nursery friends have escaped with a minor dose so fingers crossed. There are a couple of others now appearing on her legs and I know that they can keep appearing for a few days so time will tell.

Sarah was at the hospital this morning, having been referred to ENT about her rhinitis. She requires a blood test to check for allergies. Her medication prevents her from having that done today so we have to wait until Friday.

Sarah is off to a surprise party this afternoon so I will be home with Amber this afternoon. I need to get more school work done. Hoping to get some modelling done too, but Amber may have other ideas!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, sadly since we (all the consultants at the company I work for) are spread across the US, it's seldom that I'm travelling other than alone to a given client. Occasionally there may be one other person from Minneapolis or at best two <sigh>. Next time I win the lottery I'll take a private jet to Teterboro just to say I did :jester:

I can't understand this - you've got your own family aeroplane driver pilot with regular access to aeroplanes and i'd have thought she'd love to do her dear old dad a favour every now and then; some children :jester:

I can't understand this - you've got your own family aeroplane driver pilot with regular access to aeroplanes and i'd have thought she'd love to do her dear old dad a favour every now and then; some children :jester:

Exactly, RIGHT!!!

I did suggest this one time, but she quickly reminded me that my suggestion has a more common term in industry parlance --> HIJACKING :jester: and apparently that's frowned upon, go figure!

"But officer, all I wanted to do was get a private ride in my daughters plane, honest" :O

<hope the PC folks don't go ape-sh1t at my use of the term H!@$#!@$ing>

Q: How do you avoid being arrested if you try and provide a friendly greeting to your pilot for the day named Jack?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
such is the fun of not knowing who is going to be shoving a needle in my arm in about an hour from now.

I was lucky today, I got Jan, who has been extracting the red fluid from my veins for twenty years now, and can find a vein with little or no effeort - she is also aware that my vein walls are a bit awkward, and has a technique which is the best of her four colleagues - I once had a blood test taken by one of the Drs and it was horrendous.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

One of 30747's collections is wooden cotton reels (you know, Sylko, Anchor, etc) and she has long dreamed of finding a REALLY big one - well last week, she did just that...coffee cup gives the scale.....

post-103-0-22500700-1459344776_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Flight prices. That's interesting, Alan.

I just tried checking economy prices to Washington, flying from London either via Dublin (Aer Lingus + Lufthansa) or direct (Virgin). 

The saving was about £60 per person. Sadly not as large a saving as you managed.  

Which reminds me, my daughter has recently become fixated with the idea of a holiday in Hawaii.

Apparently a week long holiday "wouldn't cost much". Most likely because we'd spend most of the time flying there and back! 

Salad leaves etc now sown in the greenhouse, noting that it has shifted off its base by an inch or so. I blame Katy!  

• Like 15

Lovely sunny day here so lots of outdoor stuff being done. First I sawed and chopped a large amount of firewood, then set up the new compost heap for this year, and then went out for a walk. Now knackered, so a cup of tea is being consumed. Then it will be back outside to clear up all the mess I created earlier!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Just having a coffee break after the afternoon doing carpentry on the drive turned into something different. I set off to find the correct pieces of timber that I need in the pile/mess/heap at the front of the garage and ended up moving so much of it that I've even discovered a few square feet of floor. I ended up sorting all he wood into sheet materials and timber. A lot has now gone into the pile down the side of the garage and the remainder is being neatly stacked. I've just got the softwood to sort now then I can actually cut the pieces of timber that I need. The sun's shining and I'm able to work in shirtsleeves so not a bad afternoon.

Jamie

• Like 18

Gargh.

The phone thing was an attempt to change the 'titulaire' on the line from our friends who are leaving and going back to England to the new people (English, have no French) who are taking over the cattery. I phoned the automated line to get the RIO code, but the mechanical message was garbled and I couldn't make out the 12-letter code (SFR likes 12-letter codes. I think that gives them enough security that every molecule on the planet could have its own, but hey). So I gave up after a few attempts and went online. The usual nightmare that is SFR's website, plus using some strange PC thing. Eventually discovered that the new people will have to provide their bank details (RIB) and a copy of both sides of their identity documents (passport?) scanned and sent online to SFR. Then something, unspecified, happens. We don't have access to a scanner, sadly, so we are now planning to take them into SFR's office to try to get it sorted. Why does it have to be so hard? Because, as an SFR employee once told me, it's France...

• RMweb Gold

One of 30747's collections is wooden cotton reels (you know, Sylko, Anchor, etc) and she has long dreamed of finding a REALLY big one - well last week, she did just that...coffee cup gives the scale.....

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Where did you get the 1:12 scale mug?

It's really good!

I could do with a couple for the shunter's bothy. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Flight prices. That's interesting, Alan.

I just tried checking economy prices to Washington, flying from London either via Dublin (Aer Lingus + Lufthansa) or direct (Virgin). 

The saving was about £60 per person. Sadly not as large a saving as you managed.  

Which reminds me, my daughter has recently become fixated with the idea of a holiday in Hawaii.

Apparently a week long holiday "wouldn't cost much". Most likely because we'd spend most of the time flying there and back! 

Salad leaves etc now sown in the greenhouse, noting that it has shifted off its base by an inch or so. I blame Katy!  

Just had a quick look,a direct flight economy to Washington from LHR came up as £593.   Flight to Amsterdam £60 (LHR) then fly to Washington £426 saves you £100. If you can start and book your flight from outside the UK you avoid the horrendous  airport taxes we endure. So the higher class you fly the more you save.

We are using Dublin because its just a quick hop across from Manchester, if I lived down south then I would look at  starting my booking from Amsterdam or Paris.

Fly to Oslo though from LHR £187 ( £15 Ryan air if you can get to Stanstead) then Oslo to Washington for £256! flights are cheaper from the artic circle for some reason lol! Even LHR to Frankfurt then to Washington comes out at £503 combined.

Of course it all depends on timings etc

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Is it right or left handed thread?