The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just had a fence panel blow out!  Also very glad that a few weeks ago my adjoining neighbour and I had our shared chimney stack re-pebbledashed. My friend and neighbour on the other side has just come out to find a large lump of rendering from his side of his shared chimney has come down and smashed his neighbour's car's front windscreen.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Have to pop out to check for damage when the rain stops. No apparent damage to the house but a great big lump of roofing felt laying in the back garden. From what I can see of the garden shed from an upstairs window it seems to be OK but a closer examination will be required. Fortunately I had the small flat roofed part of the house covered with a fibreglass roof a few years ago so no problems there. I see from the news that very soon all dogs will need to be microchipped soon so I hope everyones canine friends have been done. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, damp and wet here with a breeze but not raining at the moment.

See that the M6 has been flooded near Stafford amongst other problems, I have a few things to take to the tip this morning then its sorting out the photos from our trip deleting duplicates etc.

A fairly quiet day planned, enjoy yours

Alan

• Like 11

How does that work then ?

If there are 10 digits to select without duplication then don't you have 10 choices for the first number, then 9 for the second etc

10 x 9 x 8 x 7 = 5040 combinations . . . . . or am I missing something - perhaps it's too early in the morning to think straight !

The numbers I gave were possible permutations for 4, 5 or 6 digit numbers.  You can have them in any order and can only use a number once in any sequence.

There was an Excel spread sheet function based around combinations that would generate the numbers.  I'll find it soon....

Meanwhile, this is the info I found.  See post 12 and 17.  Just click on 'show' to see the numbers.  There are just 210 combinations of 4 digit numbers, 252 5 digit and 210 six digit combinations.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1770841

Post 25 gives a formula.

This is the 'secure' key safe.....

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/household-aids/key-safes/supra-permanent-keysafe

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well the wind seems to have dropped and at the moment a little rain is also still dropping, but not a lot.  Forecast is for things to improve as the morning goes on and it looks like it might be right.   Judging by teh way it was blowing here last night and earlier this morning I would think a brief interlude on the tarmac at Shannon would be well preferable to landing at LHR but I hope they're underway before too long Gordon.

Have a good day everybody - especially those considering departure in a caravan.

• Like 13

Bit more info....

Start by finding the permutations: For the first choice, you have 10 possible digits to choose from. For the second choice, you have 9 digits because you used one for the first choice. The third choice comes from 8 possibilities and the fourth from 7 possibilities. Now we multiply these together: 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 = 90 x 56 = 5040. That's the number of permutations. No digits repeat, but 0123 is different from 0321.

Now to find the number of combinations, I have to know how many different ways there are of arranging four digits. That's the same kind of problem: the first position could be from 4 possibilities, the second from 3 possiblities, the third from 2 choices and the last has to be the 1 left. So there are 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 possible ways of arranging 4 items.

Therefore I divide 5040 / 24 = 210. So there are 210 different combinations of four digits chosen from 0-9 where the digits don't repeat.

• Like 2

Bin and recycling boxes have now been recovered and secured against further excursions.

No damage to the house has been found fortunately but the garden furniture has been repositioned.

I certainly don't have plans to go anywhere today

• Like 14

Bit more info....

Start by finding the permutations: For the first choice, you have 10 possible digits to choose from. For the second choice, you have 9 digits because you used one for the first choice. The third choice comes from 8 possibilities and the fourth from 7 possibilities. Now we multiply these together: 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 = 90 x 56 = 5040. That's the number of permutations. No digits repeat, but 0123 is different from 0321.

Now to find the number of combinations, I have to know how many different ways there are of arranging four digits. That's the same kind of problem: the first position could be from 4 possibilities, the second from 3 possiblities, the third from 2 choices and the last has to be the 1 left. So there are 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 possible ways of arranging 4 items.

Therefore I divide 5040 / 24 = 210. So there are 210 different combinations of four digits chosen from 0-9 where the digits don't repeat.

Just out of interest, I followed this formula to see what happens if you had a 10 digit number.  The number of combinations would be 10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1=3,628,800.

The number of choices for each position would be 10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1= 3,628,800.  Divide one by the other and you get the glorious answer of 1......:-)

There is a huge hole in the security of these locks where the order of the numbers is irrelevant and you cannot have the same number twice.....

That's a cracker!

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It rained a lot overnight here and as it bounced off the velux Footlight it kept waking me up...pah!

Not going to do a lot today except take her indoors to Scarborough as she has to go home today (Leeds schools have managed to organise 3 different Easter holidays this year and next year) how did I get through my school years with a variable Easter?? The joys of modern life.

Off for more tea!

Baz

• Like 1

Gordon's keysafe.  This is sort of related to the Enigma machine, where the break in was achieved because the same letter couldn't be achieved twice running, thus reducing the possible permutations.

Bill

Given all the wind down south, we have a surprisingly calm day. No 2 son and girlfriend have left to go back home to Leeds, as she is still suffering with a cold. I got up this morning to find the drains blocked. A rather unpleasant half an hour spent clearing them by ramming the garden hose pipe up the blocked drain from an inspection hatch. As this has occurred before, I knew what to do to sort it. Now getting over it with a cup of coffee.

Wow. What a night.

We got the full blast of Katy last night, very high winds and torrential rain, kept me awake to 5am. Rain was coming in under the front door and up through the drain channels in the double glazing! It was like being in a very noisy car wash. Scary. I'm awaiting reports from England, as Bob seems to have been smited hard I suspect we may have been as well.

So, got up late and went out to split more logs using the New Toy - a hydraulic splitter.

post-17799-0-75534800-1459159665_thumb.jpg

The safety arrangements were made by the previous owner. We did 3-4 days' wood in about half an hour - a bit better than using an axe!

Today's modelling question (no trains): how do I represent timber framed buildings with plaster infill in 4mm? At the moment I'm thinking model the lot out of Milliput on a Plasticard base, Julie has suggested lolly sticks (or coffee stirrers). What does the team think?

Oh, and I've just discovered that grêle is the French for hail...

Have a decent day, everyone.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Just been online trying to buy some of those trousers Tom Hiddlestone wore in last nights episode of the Night Manager. Minutes after coming out of the swimming pool his trousers were completely dry.

Having seen a previous episode they also seem to have a quick release mechanism, too!  :mosking:

• Like 3

Today's modelling question (no trains): how do I represent timber framed buildings with plaster infill in 4mm? At the moment I'm thinking model the lot out of Milliput on a Plasticard base, Julie has suggested lolly sticks (or coffee stirrers). What does the team think?

Oh, and I've just discovered that grêle is the French for hail...

Have a decent day, everyone.

I am planning this myself, I would suggest that maybe plastikard would give walls a bit straight and flat, old timber buildings tend to be anything but that (partly due to timber drying in situ), maybe card would give more natural variation?

There is also the very authentic (real timber frame made first) method in the 'Cottage Modelling for Pendon' book, I am tempted to give it a try.

Edited by johnarcher

Wow. What a night.

We got the full blast of Katy last night, very high winds and torrential rain, kept me awake to 5am. Rain was coming in under the front door and up through the drain channels in the double glazing! It was like being in a very noisy car wash. Scary. I'm awaiting reports from England, as Bob seems to have been smited hard I suspect we may have been as well.

Just to be correct, it's Katie.  I tried to blame our daughter Katy, but she would accept no responsibility....

They've now arrived at Heathrow after their short trip to Ireland.

That's a neat use of an old satellite dish.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 6

How did the Cambridge womens boat not sink yesterday? It was for all intents and purposes completely under water. At one stage you could not see the hull. The boat must be extremely buoyant.

I tried for so long to resist a puerile comment about buoancy aids....... :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Started to watch the Netflix documentary Making a Murderer. If ever there was a corrupt criminal justice system then this documentary shows it. It's worth watching if you have the time. I'm off to start a Steven Avery is innocent. OK! campaign

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Welcome to the Monday Holiday After Easter.  Or for Smiffy it's the Oyster Bank Holiday.

Jock - again your determination and strength (despite understandable fatigue) seems to know no bounds and never ceases to amaze.

Storm Katie - is known to me but has recently unfriended me on Farcebook; she is one of two sisters I have known their entire lives having worked with and remained friends with their parents.  Both are totally deaf and have had implants since before their school days.  One is now an accomplished wildlife photographer and has made numerous solo trips to Africa.  Her adopted nickname is Hells Bells from the name Helen and her disability-defying adrenaline-junkie lifestyle.  Her sister has been "Storm Katie" from about age 2 and remains volatile and grumpy at 21. 

This passeth the weekend of chocolate eggs, bunnies and (mostly) Christian celebration.  A weekend which has seen major interruptions to our train service while three level crossings are removed and the weekend in which Melbourne closed a major tram depot for the first time since 1997.  As with the 1997 closure when South Melbourne depot was replaced by a modern and slightly larger Southbank depot nearby the closure of East Preston depot yesterday marked the opening of a new and larger depot known simply as Preston nearby on part of the vast tramway workshops site.  Modern trams don't need their own workshops as components are exchanged by the manufacturer in the depot.  Some of the site remains to effect collision and other major repairs and wheel changes but over half is now a running depot.  

Best wishes to all.  One more day at the Palace then five of leisure. 

• Like 2

Funny the things we hear about in the USA - was startled to see, what I presumed is Mike’s local Waitrose in Reading - covered with smashed scaffolding and detritus. Though he probably has alternatives....

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Just got back in, as the show was cancelled today.

The slight blow brought in rain which turned to sleet, before starting to demolish the showground.

We heard that Thame show was cacelled, and then the organisers decided Kelmarsh needed to closeit as a matter of public safety, after fences were being blown down and a number of the portaloos were blown over.

I do not know whether they were occupied at the time or not.

Quality muddy hollow materiel about, quite a bit I've imported back to the hippodrome on the sides and belly of the car.

Selective directional control of the jet wash will enable me to top up muddy hollow (forward) with high grade Northamptonshire mud.

Although mh(f) does seem to be a tad full of rainwater at present.

Now off to fill the washing machine with three pairs of muddy trousers

• Like 3