The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. It's been another dull grey, but dry day today. My travels today took me once again on a tour of Cumbria. Starting at Beetham, then on to Meathop, Ulverston, Askham, Kendal and finally Sedgwick, so by the time I got home, I'd clocked up another couple of hundred miles, plus a bit more overtime too!

Not much else happened after I got home, I just sat and relaxed with my feet up. Sometimes it's nice just to sit and chill out!

Early-ish start tomorrow, as it's our monthly team meeting, it'll be nice to catch up with everyone. However the down side is listening to all the drivel that the boss has to deliver from the higher management. Still I'll get a nice bacon butty out of it, it's the best part!

Andy, recovery IS very tiring, and like others have said, it's something that is best not rushed, trust me I know!

Off to bed now, so goodnight all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, very worrying that Mick seems to be going off yellow, makes you wonder where things could end (chocolate & cream perhaps?  :jester: ).  

Having done a shopping trip to Pangbourne today it seems Tesco might be substituted for Waitrose tomorrow as we now have adequate stocks of meats, various, and cheese.  Sort of leaves you wondering why a (large) village with a population of c.25% of our town has a top notch (and pricey) cheese shop, the best butcher for miles around, a decent bakery, and a really good old-fashioned general ironmongers when we haven't got half of those things?

G'night all

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, very worrying that Mick seems to be going off yellow, makes you wonder where things could end (chocolate & cream perhaps?  :jester: ).

Cream is just simply "off-yellow"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Evening all. . . 

No baz, no finger-buns, but half buns with ham and peas pudding, or egg and tomato chop, or tinned salmon. . . One plate half cream filled Brandy-Snaps, the other CREAM HORNS.. . strangely, none were eaten! . . anonther plate of assorted "Kyek",(cake for those of a southern persuasion, and and the inevitable "Corned Beef and Chetty Pie"..

And I have to add, being an Easington lad, I was born "Up Canada". . .The real name is Holme Hill Estate.

Anyways. . . I ended up buying a new Tele' today. . It took an  hour to set the bl00dy thing up! . .One of these smart jobbies with added interweb sh1te. . .I'd be more impressed if it could make a decent cuppa.

My thoughts with the ailing, and recovering.

Goodnight Everyone . . .Sleep well.

John

Morning All,

We have a nice sunny morning here - with blue sky and although it is rather crisp, it is a definite improvement.

I spoke to a friend last night whose son lives in Brussels.  Thankfully he is Ok.  He usually takes the affected Metro line to work, but due to the situation at the airport decided to walk instead.  He was a couple of streets away when the bomb went off on the Metro.  It just goes to prove how lucky or unlucky you can be concerning the wrong place at the wrong time.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning from the misty north west highlands of Leeds.

Gordon try debenhams or tkmaxx as they both had plain tshirts./polo shirts in their stores in Leeds.

John, ham and pease pudding...any beetroot or pickled cabbage to go with them? (I have to make my own pease pudding ..i have trained the whole family to eat it!)And you have reminded me to bake a corner dog and tatty plate pie sometime soon!(Again a family favourite) Or perhaps some panacarty? (Spellt pen hegarty by the hairy bikers)

Shopping beckons. Not sure if the WiFi has improved in RHB so will call in when I can.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry & dull here. A breezy cloudy day is forecast with rain later.

Still at DEFCON 3 and already getting rather envious of those people who have received their parcels from Shildon. I'm not going anywhere today just in case!

Mick - have you found the courage yet? (I suspect I'll feel the same)

Looks like domestic tasks are scheduled as children and grandchildren are visiting for the next couple of days.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Rick, when we first moved back to Leeds you worked Good Friday at normal rates but had Easter Monday and Tuesday off. Not so common now apparently.

Baz

Good morning one and all

I should put away my magazines more often.  If I leave it too long, as I usually do, the task becomes onerous.  It is nothing compared with the task of culling the collection, which I defer and defer.  One day I must rationalise the collection but, to the surprise of no-one, it will not be today.  Instead, there will be a trip to the bank and a mini fodder run this morning.  Tonight there will be culture of a sort - a concert at The Stables with Greg Russell and Ciaran Algar, on tour promoting their crucial third album.  They have win several awards already and deserve every one of them.  Greg sings very well, Ciaran wields the fiddle and tells jokes about cheese.  I expect a good evening.

Tomorrow sees my annual visit to Pendon Museum.  Good Friday is one of the four days on the year when John Ahern's Madder Valley is operated and this influences my choice of date.  I reach Long Wittenham the back way, via Aylesbury and Thame, and return via Bicester and Milton Keynes which is a far less scenic run.  Somewhere on the outward run I will stop for breakfast.  With any luck I will use one of the vouchers that Little Chef e-mailed to me yesterday to obtain a modest but welcome discount.

Best wishes to the ailing and recovering, and may the numbers of the latter increase

Chris

• Like 17

Rick, when we first moved back to Leeds you worked Good Friday at normal rates but had Easter Monday and Tuesday off. Not so common now apparently.

Baz

Twas the same in the people's republic too when I wer a young un.

• Like 1

Morning all. My predicted late rising wasn't quite as planned. I woke up at the normal time without the alarm going off. Fortunately I managed to go back to sleep. Breakfast consumed and the coffee pot is hot.

A day of report writing ahead and very little else planned.

Here's hoping that those working manage to POETF

Have a good day everyone

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly overcast village.   Unfortunately I no longer get any extra pay for Good Friday.  It used to be paid as normal plus double time if you worked.  It was amazing how little sickness there was on Bank Holidays.  One fellow supervisor commented that you'd expect the dead to crawl into work on double time.  However one colleague on a quiet bank holiday spent some time working out some figures with a pencil and paper before telling us all that he was earning cash faster than he could drink it.

Anyway various tasks are scheduled for this morning, more things to be taken to France have to be taken to the store room that we've hired. We are taking a trailer load of furniture with us  and all sorts of other odds and ends.  The plan is to out it all in the store room so that the trailer can be loaded quickly on the day.   I was planning to do some carpentry outside this afternoon but the weather forecast doesn't look to good.

Anyway regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

It used to be paid as normal plus double time if you worked.  It was amazing how little sickness there was on Bank Holidays.  One fellow supervisor commented that you'd expect the dead to crawl into work on double time. 

Rather reminds me of when I worked at that well known telephone company.  On the Milllenium Bank Holiday weekend, they offered staff the chance to work for standard rates plus time and a half, but with the added proviso that if you worked a minimum of 20 overtime hours, a supplement of £50 per hour would be paid!  Needless to say, applicants had to form an orderly queue and the slots were fillled quickly.  I missed out on one, so was only going to get two shifts totalling 15 hours, so wouldn't qualify for the bonus, and somebody pulled out as they also had not got their full quota.  Their slots were offered on a ballot, and I was one of the two who got an extra, taking me onto unheard of hourly payments.  The work was the usual call handling, and on the third day, there was virtually no inbound call traffic after 11.30, and I was working 10 til 6.  The staff on duty on that afternoon were earning upwards of £70 per hour to read books, play cards, and drink tea.  I personally took three calls in the last 6 hours  and earned over £450 for the same period, making the cost to the company of my attendance £150 per call.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 18

Morning all from the penthouse suite of the Waldorf Astoria. err boring borough. Its a Thursday that feels like a Friday. Yippee. POETF? Today I will be mostly designing analytics and metrics reports. Buckets o fun.

Good to see Andy on the mend.

Hope Tony has a good time. I'll be following his fermented grain exploits on Untappd.

Not that much to say today. Hoping to pop down to Invicta on my lunch break.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 17

morning all. I too am still in the boring borough as the hospital appointment I thought was at 9 is not until 10.15, which means I have logged in to do some work first. Well second, after catching up here!

I first realised pease pudding was not just confined to a nursery rhyme when I visited by my now in-laws who are denizens of Washington Tyne & Wear (a place incidentally that reminds of Milton Keynes, but which tends to make MK look nice).  I had it with ham in sandwiches and rather liked it. Bung some spices in and it would be very reminiscent of Indian or mddle eastern pulse based dishes (dhals, chana massala etc, which I also like). FiL is I think from Doggie. At least, at one stage his parents had a shop there.

Have a good day all, and enjoy your easter time. Now I really ought to show some willing and turn to a few e-mails etc

* a number of you will be nodding knowingly. The rest of us would refer to the place as Cornforth. 

• Like 5