The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested in which curves you will be doing around Glasgow that dont normally have passenger services as will be there early May.

Have a good trip.

ian

2 at Cowlairs, the new connection at Anniesland and one at Coatbridge.   I'll PM you tomorrow with some more details.

As to Andy's comment the only Glaswegian  curves of that type I've ever investigated in that type were in a tent at Balloch 44 years ago and we are not past the watershed yet.

Just having breakfast then off. 

Hope you all have a good day.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hey up everyone.

Misty but dry with a hint of sun.....

Today brings some parcelling/posting, a trip to the new clubrooms, a visit to a model railway emporium, and run shiny (and posting) a commission for an RMWebber.

Jock, I use Gibson 14mm coach wheels in my Airfix/Dapol suburbans. The bogies stay on the track OK. Saw off the underframe detail and refit using Evergreen plastic "angles" and some LMS coach castings from 247 or Wizzard.

Enjoy whatever you do today ....and best wishes for everyone not 100%

Baz

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

I enjoyed the film show last night - mostly British Transport Films with a leavening of Cam Camwell this time.  The next one is in October.

As I type, there is a heated discussion on Today about the correct making of tea.  To whom it may concern: I use leaf tea and a china teapot.  I tolerate tea made with a teabag but prefer the bag to be removed from the cup after brewing.  I despair when someone presents me with a cup of hottish water and expects me to add my own bag.  This ;loathsome practice is rife in Switzerland but it's their country and I have to lump it.  If confronted with it in the UK, however, I make my displeasure known, often volubly.  Beware of the Premier Inn at Cribbs Causeway, north of Bristol, for it happens there and do not say that you have not been warned.  The excuse I was given there was that if made properly in the kitchen the tea is stewed by the time it reaches the table.  Jackanory!

Shortly I shall embark upon the fodder run.  Later I must take my prescription request to the surgery as there are only two full working days between now and next Tuesday.   Constraints, constraints.  Then, with any luck, there will be time for a little m*d*ll*ng.  I wonder how many drills I will break this time?

Good health to the ailing and all others

Chris 

Good morning all.

The great debate of the week continues: York or not. Would likely mean an overnight stay but let's not rule it out yet.

Congratulations, commiserations, condolences and Best Wishes as required.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

The news from Brussels is not good.  Thoughts with anyone having contacts there.  We have a friend living somewhere on the other side of the city; it seems internet traffic is too heavy right now to establish a link and check she's OK.

The Good Lady is currently sat in the music room with two friends from which is emerging some truly professional sound including one of her self-penned numbers.  Ukulele, mandolin and guitar support three voices.  And the occasional comment like "Sorry - I think I had an extra C in there" and "Oh - that's an F-sharp minor.  Right."

Best wishes to all.

Morning all. I hope to have a slightly more relaxed day today at work. On a course at the dockside offices this morning then I'm planning to work from there for the rest of the day. Which will hopefully also include a swim and a run at the end of the day.

I'm watching the events unfolding in Brussels too. I'm very glad my friend Aileen is back from her 2 years in Brussels now.

Mal & Neil, thanks for the info about the Tyne Dock 24. There's nothing yet on their website.

Went out for skiing with Aileen after work to Hillend. We enjoyed the novelty of skiing in daylight there, we've only ever done our lessons there after dark! Then met up with our friend Gill and my gf for a fondue night in town.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

One of two possible friends near the Brussels Airport explosions has been accounted for safe and well across the border in Holland.  Which is where she was supposed to be but she's making random visits to nearby European cities as the mood takes her.  We warned her to not go to Brussels weeks ago.  Resident friend cannot be contacted but is unlikely to be involved other than having to endure more restrictions imposed by the security forces.

Morning all. Hope everyone is well. If not then speedy recovery.

Myself I'm improved a bit on yesterday, though the lingering cough is proving annoying!

Off out in a short while to post an item back (it was described as OO and turned out to be HO).

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Listening to the terrible news from Brussels, theres not much else that can be said at the moment except that I hope you hear from your friend soon Rick. Glad to hear that Chris is a fellow leaf tea enthusiast, for Christmas I treated myself to one of the glass filter tea pots and I can't see myself going back to tea bags anytime soon. Like beer tea its a matter of taste but I prefer M&S English Breakfast blend, not too much dust and plenty of taste. One thing I've noticed is that the teapot is bowl shaped and because of that any particles are trapped by the bowl shape. Hope that Jock and our other invalids had a good nights sleep. Bright sunshine here this morning so a walk into town in prospect so be back later.

• Like 13

Bruxelles.

BBC news appears to be slow. There are apparently at least 10 deaths in the metro as well as the deaths at the airport. Also a gun chase near the metro with shots being fired.

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

BBC news appears to be slow. There are apparently at least 10 deaths in the metro as well as the deaths at the airport. Also a gun chase near the metro with shots being fired.

The situation is still very confused but the latest news is 13 dead at the airport and 10 at the Metro station.

• RMweb Premium

I hope you hear from your friend soon Rick.

She's messaged me on Facebook, thanks.  She's OK.  The children are locked down in their schools until security forces choose to allow people to move freely again.  She in turn has a friend missing at this stage and known to commute on the metro via Maalbeek.  

Brussels is effectively locked down with all bus, tram and metro services suspended and air space closed, many city and airport district streets closed and very limited train services running, including Eurostar but with very much extended check-in times.  Currently unconfirmed 13 fatalities at the airport and 10 on the metro.  New reports of gun shots being fired in the city during chase(s) and shots fired confirmed at the airport.

Friend has suggested the final totals might be closer to those in Paris and they are expecting more events and / or more devices to be found.  Some reports have stated "more bombs have been found" at the airport.

Updated : Eurostar has ceased.  No service to Brussels until further notice.  Passengers advised not to attempt travel.  Brussels Crisis Centre advising everyone to stay where they are as all public transport is now closed.  Phone network overloaded - Crisis Centre requests using social media not phones.  Sources now stating the airport was attacked by suicide bomber(s).  Also of interest is this comment frmo the BBC

He said Belgian intelligence services had been playing "catch-up" since then and did not have a "very good system" of sharing information across the various authorities.

He said attacks in Britain had been prevented by Muslim communities reporting suspicious behaviour to police but this was not yet happening in Belgium.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 5

My wifes family live about 90 mins by train south east of Bruxelles and none of them now work in Bruxelles fortunately. One daughters partner is a policeman but as he works locally we dont think he will be called to Bruxelles.

Pat is getting more up to date news via RTL news on her tablet. The death toll at the metro seems to be rising a little according to RTL.

We dont travel on the metro when we are in Bruxelles as we travel straight from Midi station on the train. But for 10 minutes or so the train appears to use the same stations as the metro and some of these are very dark and drear. To me they remind me of some of London undergrounds worst stations in the 60's-70's period. They are old style and seem quite enclosed, badly lit and uninviting.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Alas the nasty business in Bruxelles is hardly a surprise - there have long been certain parts of the city which are best avoided if you are not of a certain type and even round the fringes of them it can feel very uncomfortable (and that was 20 years ago - I'm told it has got worse since then).  Deepest sympathy to the Belgian people who I have always found were great folk to know and work with although I always advised discretion when going out drinking with some of them.

All Eurostar trains from London to Bruxelles today have been cancelled except 9116 which was enroute as the news began to break.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Was out for running some errands and only now took notice of the horrible news from Brussels.  :O Thoughts with everyone affected and I hope none of us on RMweb are among them, whether directly or not…

Morning all,

Alas the nasty business in Bruxelles is hardly a surprise - there have long been certain parts of the city which are best avoided if you are not of a certain type and even round the fringes of them it can feel very uncomfortable (and that was 20 years ago - I'm told it has got worse since then).  Deepest sympathy to the Belgian people who I have always found were great folk to know and work with although I always advised discretion when going out drinking with some of them.

All Eurostar trains from London to Bruxelles today have been cancelled except 9116 which was enroute as the news began to break.

I know you refer predominantly to these Bruxelles areas because of the present heightened security.

There are always those types of areas in towns and cities Mike. When I first joined the merchant navy over 40 years ago 2 places we were advised about were Capetown and Balboa in Panama. Only trouble I ever came across was an attempted mugger who got apprehended by a crew mate in Lisbon. I would have been more scared of walking through Brixton 20-30 years ago than walking through one of the migrant parts of Bruxelles we walked through a few years ago.

As a 16 year old I found sitting on Lime Street station quite scary and that was because my jacket had a Spurs badge on it and some scouse scally didnt like it.

A few years ago I went to watch my son play in a football tournament in Cardiff. I went for a pint in a pub in the middle of some playing fields on an estate. I have never wanted to finish a pint and get out of the pub more than that day because of the antagonistic feeling.

Brux has changed a lot in the last “few years" - as has Koln.

Couldn’t have come at a worst time for the US election....

Btw I’m still more alert on the London Underground than the NY Subway (which has not been really bad since the ’70’s).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Pretty trivial and totally selfish, but Keith and I are travelling through Brussels in less than a fortnight.  I'm pretty phlegmatic, since the IRA missed me twice by a couple of minutes in the 1970s, but don't know Keith's thoughts yet.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's another sunny one. Methinks today may be a good day to plant out the chitted potatoes. 

As other's have said, sympathies to those affected in Brussels. As Pete says, with the deliberate American Airlines angle it is likely to have ramifications across the pond. 

Just back from the much anticipated recorder concert.

It was actually quite good and really no need at all for the lump of Camembert I shoved in each ear beforehand. 

Chrisf mentions tea making. I can't abide the stuff so it could be made weeks before in an oil barrel and I'd not know the difference. However, I had one colleague who was most particular about the milk going into the cup before the tea to avoid "scolding" it. I always refrained from retorting in my best Mr Punch voice with "You're very very naughty milk" whenever he mentioned it. 

• Like 13

[ name=bbishop" post="2246637" timestamp="1458644657]Pretty trivial and totally selfish, but Keith and I are travelling through Brussels in less than a fortnight.  I'm pretty phlegmatic, since the IRA missed me twice by a couple of minutes in the 1970s, but don't know Keith's thoughts yet.

Bill

We are going next in May. I think the only way to look at it is to think of all the trains, aircraft, metro trains etc daily and what percentage of all those is the one you will be travelling on.

We are usually in Bruxelles Midi for about 30 minutes between trains. During that time there could be an attack or it could be just before or just after we are there.