The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I once got my thumb caught on an old-fashioned hand plane sharpening wheel (Think 15" diameter, horizontal, 2kg weight holding thumb down, rotating 50rpm) and ground a 3mm hole through my nail into the bleedy parts underneath before I could stop it. Didn't half hurt.

Oh no - another Grandadbob in disguise.

Maybe I can get a fiver for each?

:jester:

Having said that, my left hand still bears the scar where I made a good attempt to chop my thumb off with a scalpel when I was about 10. What doesn't show is the time I was climbing up a bonfire (unlit of course) as a kid, slipped and put my hand on a rusty nail head. It didn't come all the way through, but you could see it pushing the skin up on the back of my hand...............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Morning all,

A brief visit this evening as I am now very weary indeed. My visit to Colchester General was very efficiently handled by two very nice ladies who proved most helpful and tipped me off on how to get more from next Thursday's visit which is to be followed straight after by an oncology appointment!

Superb post from Flávio as one would expect from someone so knowledgable and erudite, and I think the pain control advice was superb!

IanA, I'm so sorry to read that your young family member has finally been switched off, not a decision I would have liked to take, but obviously a very necessary one. Our hearts go out to you and your family!

I regret that I am. Now just too weary to continue so I'll beg your forgiveness and try to look in early tomorrow dependant on when the care team decide to start work.

Good luck to those who need it and capture the 'E' if you can,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Morning all. For some reason I woke earlier than usual this morning and even my alarm clock hasn't had its daily exercise. A little bit frosty but at least it's dry.

Jock - You certainly don't have to beg forgiveness for being too weary. If you are not up to reading all the posts or posting for a day or so, we don't mind and fully understand. Please don't try and do too much.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, dad's taxi has been summoned to take DD2 to catch a train to London from here in Hicksville Derbyshire. I don't think I have often been awake at this time for several years now since DD1 left college in fact. It looks dark out there and possibly cold so a little visit to check the windscreen maybe in order before departure time. When she has been dropped off I might sneak back to bed for an hour a thought keeping me going. Have a good day all and try and POE just don't leave before the management.

Good morning one and all

Ian A's news is very sad indeed.  Whatever the circumstances, the death of a young person surely touches us all.

Ed, I should have referred to resetting the display unit of the smart meter.  It has the capability to display all sorts of things.  I did not know until yesterday that it can tell me the temperature.  I prefer it to tell me the time.  Whatever its versatilities, finding the settings I want is a PITA.  By the way, I see that Mike Stationmaster has committed me to monitoring your breakfast at Railex.  Call it quality control ...

So, where were we?  The fodder run was done a day early but unless I want to go out again today, and I don't, I shall have to be careful of how many spuds I use before next week.  Today's banquet, ha ha, is stir fried chicken with a sauce, I'm out to lunch [in all its senses] tomorrow and Sunday and Monday might well be covered by oven chips.  It's all attention to detail, I tell you - an essential attribute for modellers.  There is ironing to be done this afternoon, oh joy.

Tomorrow I travel to the fringe of Ewell for the Skills Day. Let no-one say that he is too old to learn!  For my part I find the list of demonstrators brimming over with riches and feel certain that I will not see everyone that I wish to see.  In the evening I will be celebrating the official 50th birthday of St Neots Folk Club and will have my work cut out to get there in time.  The only solution will be to take my car to the station.  I did this on Tuesday for the 4square gig and it cost £3.50.  Many moons ago parking was free on Saturdays but I bet it isn't now!  On Sunday I shall visit the Nottingham show.  My cousin 88C is exhibiting his W&L themed layout which I am looking forward to seeing.  Busy busy busy.

It was reassuring to learn of Flavio' repairs.  Felicitations and best wishes to all inmates in receipt of works attention and other treatment.

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yippeedddoo! It's Friday here!

Schedule for today...shopping at moreasons to do, sort out some locos to take to Nottingham Show, travel to Nottingham when the already filled van arrives chez baz, put layout up, go to pub! Simples.

Ed time you were up doing your exercise or else your trainer will be annoyed.

I have a scar where I dropped a freshly fitted scalpel blade and it's holder and stopped it with my leg. Once the bleeding stopped we went to the pub. Happy student days.

Hope everyone has a great day/evening today.

I may not be back till Monday so be calm and try and behave yourselves. Good job jock is back to keep everyone in control.

Baz

• Like 3

Morning All,

Glad to hear that all went well yesterday, Jock.  I hope that you are feeling a bit more refreshed after a nights sleep.

We have another chilly morning, but frost free.  Probably due to the cloud cover.

I have some testing to do today, so time for a coffee before we start!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Bit achy at present, so I hope I can get up to speed soon…

Tony, I know of no coordinated attempts at de-gendering the German language, though certain circles do make a point of setting masculine and feminine forms in parallel in such a way as to highlight equality. There are several styles of doing so, though from an aesthetic point of view, these are frequently at the focus of criticism, such as that which, for example, could lead to forms such as "Lehrer_innen" for male and female teachers.

Having studied linguistics as part of my university courses myself, I do not disagree with the view that linguistic phenomena can, and do, function as manifestations of social hierarchies and be used to permeate these, but TBH, Matthew's experience sounds like he has had mere scandal mongers, for whom indignation seems to be a way of life, among his attendants.

Have a good Friday, folks…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a foggy Surrey.

The wood dye that I received yesterday afternoon worked. Not quite as good as the one that I did use in the past but will do. The badge display board is finished. Tonight once it has fully dried the couple of exhibition badges will be added.

Thus morning the first strip of LED lights obtained dome years ago after they were ripped out of new bookshelves as the client wanted a different effect, have now been tested and fixed under the new fiddleyard shelf / cover.they still require permanently wiring.

Off to a number of meetings today via Thameslink which is on time so far unlike last nights train. Just made it in time for the bus got the driver to then say there was a fault on the bus so we had to walk home.

Morning all,

Brief visit to say that I did sleep well, and have just prepared for the morning visit of the caring team - nuisance is that they can't give us an exact time so I'm just slowly wading through my twenty medications of the morning. Having caught up on here, and I shall attempt to post something useful ('?) later. Keep fighting whatever stands in your way,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather a foggy and frosty start here but a dry day with bright or even sunny spells is forecast.

I haven't planned to do anything much today but as The Boss is off she may think differently.

I had a visit from the local constabulary yesterday.  Apparently a neighbour had a couple of leather jackets stolen from his porch on Wednesday.. I did tell the officer it wasn't me. I think he believed me.

:scratchhead:  

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning, good to hear things seem to be working well for Jock, and I hope Ian's family are coming to terms with the sadness.

A rough night here as I took the first of the new anti-inflammatories too soon, and whilst it worked well initially, it's effectiveness ended at 0130hrs.  Toughed it out so that I can get the times right today and hopefully get a better night.  Naproxen, just remembered the name!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly misty village.   The agenda is similar to Baz's except that I've got to collect, drive and help load the lorry.  Then off to Nottingham, put the layout up, and got to the hotel for a drink.

Ian A, very sorry to hear that the life support for the young lady has been switched off. , my thoughts are with you all.

Jock, keep taking the tablets, Beth takes a fistful at a time with something to wash the whole batch down.  On an evening there are often comments as to whether red wine is the appropriate drink to accompany opiates.   AS she says, the label says avoid alcohol, sometimes its not possible to avoid it.

Ed, I hope that your rollator gives good service, they are very excellent items.

Anyway, regards to everyone else as there are several minor domestic tasks to attend to before I set off to play trains for the weekend.   However I do need to keep on the right side of the boss as she's taking ne to the van hire place.

Regards to everyone else.

Jamie

• Like 1

Morning all. It started off foggy and frosty on the side of the hill, but here it is blue and bright, (even through HR's office!).

Southeastern were battling against a signal failure on the up at Lewisham. Our train went that way despite the announcement at Hither Green that it wouldn't. it was also 5 car instead of 10 - driver apologised and then went on about how embarrassed he was to turn up to 5 coaches and not to shoot the messenger. I doubt anyone did think it was his fault. A simple apology would have done.

Reading all your travails with DIY equipment makes me very glad that I took heed of the warning signs that manifested themselves at school. I'm carp at DIY and rarely if ever attempt it. I thus have no such scars. I also haven't put shelves up for Mrs Lurker despite her hinting many times. So what you win on the swings....

Have a good day all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Matthew's conference in Seville reminds me of one I attended in the '90s there.

Striking out one evening to find a restaurant a small group of us alighted on a promising endroit.

Settling down inside we read the menu; simple and unpretentious and offering a veggie option for one of our number.

It rapidly became apparent that the simple menu was going to overstretch the purchasing and forward planning departments of said restaurant!

After we discovered that most items were "off", we started to invent our own ideas of what they might be able to serve.  

"Could you do an omelette?" 

"No, signor. We have no eggs."

"You're a restaurant without 2 eggs?" 

Another local wheeze was for a gang of children to race up to you and start hassling for coins.

A "well meaning" adult would then chase the children away and....you guessed it....ask for money for performing said service. 

No prizes for guessing the DNA of the children and adult would have matched. 

Personally I think Matthew would do well in the diplomatic service. Plenty of brownie points for putting people back in their boxes; appeasement of trouble makers isn't always for the best.

I won't even begin to comment on the uber-PC thoughts of the delegates. I'd be interested to know who pays their salaries though. 

Foggy here today, but not sure if the continent is cut off. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was frosty earlier but no foggy. Just sunny now but chilly. I will drive Aditi to the blood clinic in a few minutes. There is no longer time for her to drive round looking for a parking space

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Great to hear from Jock, I just hope the single malt is still on the medicines list. I have never fortunately had a serious DIY accident, mind you though I'm not that good at DIY, at school carpentry lessons I made the best firewood. A trip into town today, to avoid cooking I'll nip into the chippie for fish and chips. Have a good poEts day all.

• Like 12

Good sleep last night which was nice. Off to works shortly with a little apprehension. It feels disingenuous compared with what I was facing this time last year and what Jock's putting up with on a daily basis. A walk in the park by comparison. And hopefully a walk in the park tomorrow or Sunday will be the very result!

Kind thoughts going out to all of you slogging away through your own battles, big and small.

See you at tea time, all being well! :-)

Dave. 

Morning, good to hear things seem to be working well for Jock, and I hope Ian's family are coming to terms with the sadness.

A rough night here as I took the first of the new anti-inflammatories too soon, and whilst it worked well initially, it's effectiveness ended at 0130hrs.  Toughed it out so that I can get the times right today and hopefully get a better night.  Naproxen, just remembered the name!

I do sympathise with your predicament. Have you tried taking paracetamol in between the anti-inflammatories? Eg two hours afterwards? I find that helpful when having a bad time with my arthritis and it was recommended by my GP. Good luck!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Off to have a checkup later. 

I've been told by swmbo to grin and bear it, although not for the same reasons as Ed has!

Apparently the latest NHS research shows that the traditional method of using an asthma inhaler - simultaneously breathing in whilst dispensing the drug - leads to 60% of the drug ending up on the back of your throat, due to the acceleration of the aerosole droplets.  

So, the new method is to dispense the drug and then breathe in, thereby slowing the movement of the drug down as it enters the mouth. 

I asked for a demo. 

Andy: "How come the drug can be seen to flow out through the gap between the brown-plastic case and the pressurised bottle? Is that because it is the path of least resistance and so just goes into the room?"

Nurse:"The official advice says to do it that way. 60% of the drug ends up on the back of your throat."

Andy: "As opposed to 99% in the room? Surely if you want to get the drug into your lungs...."

Nurse: "The official advice says to do it that way."

Andy: "Bu...."

Nurse:"Your lung function shows you have been doing it the wrong way."

Andy: "I measured my static lung capacity using a spirometer and it bore no relation to the height-weight-age nomogram you've used to guestimate it. So if my total lung capacity is lower than predicted how can my dynamic lung function meet your expectation. How can I expel more air than I have?"    :banghead:

Nurse: "We could increase the dose. Don't forget to follow our official advice on how to use your inhaler; medicate the room breathe in after you have dispensed the drug. Like I just showed you."

Andy: "So medicating the room will help me by it acting like a huge spacer device?"  :ireful:

Nurse: "Ok, let's do your blood pressure.....It's off the scale....have you thought of losing weight. The nomogram says you should lose weight."

Andy: "Fantastic idea. Instead of feeding my face with a Cornish pasty I'll shove it someplace else next time.

Or I could just keep my trap shut like swmbo told me to and smile, after all, it's a lovely Friday!  :sungum:

The advice seems to make sense to me. I often get a burning sensation in my throat, which I assume is the drug/aerosol hitting there rather than being taken down. That makes me cough, so I lose most of what I have inhaled.

Lovely sunny day here again in sunny Teignmouth. Maybe a walk on the beach later at low water.

Right! Cut finger? Drilled finger? Ha I once had to do a full frontal lobotomy in a cardboard box without any tools .......................

• Like 2