The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Had a new beer in - Mary Jane - asked the barman if it contained traces of medicinal marijuana. Gabe hurried me out...

Mal

Mal

a good yorkshire Pint from Ilkley Brewery --- from On Ilkley Moor Ba'tat... "thous been a courting Mary Jane, Mary Jane.."

Ian A sad news indeed - heartfelt condolences to the whole family.

Lease signed (2 years) so Leeds MRS moves on...

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Condolences to Ian A. However remote the connection, no-one could fail to be distressed by the lady's early demise. I have already lived reasonably comfortably for twice as long as she was allowed. Tragic.

A fun sort of day, really, with Alison here to add a bit of life. I do expect her to aid and abet Sherry in teasing me, and she seldom disappoints. I have taken the reins back (sorry) on feeding the horses, starting tomorrow, but she has been more than helpful since my op.

• Like 1

Ian A - condolences. However remote the connection it cannot be easy.

Smiffy - I hope you get better and enjoy Larry Niven. Ringworld was my favourite of his. A book I still think back to a lot and ended up buying a few years ago.

Everyone else, enjoy your days

• Like 11

I've been bored to tears this week doing one of those repetitive jobs that requires absolutely no thought at all. Just one more day to go.  Roll on next week when I can give my brain some exercise.

Plenty of cockwombles on the road today as well. Why is it that drivers of expensive cars decide that they can't wait for the queue of traffic, overtake and then try and push their way in to cause an even bigger problem? Today there were also several 'professional' HGV drivers doing exactly the same.

Jock - An early start for you. I just hope that you're able to get some decent sleep. Good luck with the appointment.

Neil - I hope that they can get to the root cause of the pain.

Ian A - Really sorry to hear your news. My condolences to your family.

Baz - Excellent news for Leeds MRS

Good evening all. This has been a mixed day. I spent much of the morning with a stunning shapely blonde. She is a personal trainer and will be my link into a cardiac rehab programme so hopefully I can get a bit more mobile again.

After my trip to the G0G show at the weekend I have realised that I need some help, so today I bought a "rollator"-a 4 wheeled buggy with brakes and joy of joys a seat. Now I fully realise that this gadget will be a PITA for others (much worse than a rucksack) at exhibitions but I'm afraid I do need it.

The physio lady came on Tuesday to "assess" me. I am having a new bannister and a walking stick but she could not supply the rollator hence the paragraph above. She is also going to put me in touch with people who can help with the garden etc.

I really am determined to get my life back on track, so I am relying on you lot to bo11ock me if I show signs of weakening please.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Right Cayton - listen very carefully as I will say this only once. This is a warning. You will do exactly as your stunning, (sigh) shapely,(sharp intake of breath) blonde (tremble) personal trainer says with absolutely no excuses whatsoever. (feverishly wiping sweat from brow) Or else we'll send the boys round.

Have you got a contact number as I'm sure that I need some help as well?  :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Right Cayton - listen very carefully as I will say this only once. This is a warning. You will do exactly as your stunning, (sigh) shapely,(sharp intake of breath) blonde (tremble) personal trainer says with absolutely no excuses whatsoever. (feverishly wiping sweat from brow) Or else we'll send the boys round.

Have you got a contact number as I'm sure that I need some help as well?  :jester:

You'll have to get on the queue first. :nono:

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good evening all. This has been a mixed day. I spent much of the morning with a stunning shapely blonde. She is a personal trainer and will be my link into a cardiac rehab programme so hopefully I can get a bit more mobile again.

Ed

So let's get this right.

You have a dicky heart and they send round a stunning shapely blonde..........

You'd better ruddy well stick to the regime. You'll need it. ;)

• RMweb Gold

After my trip to the G0G show at the weekend I have realised that I need some help, so today I bought a "rollator"-a 4 wheeled buggy with brakes and joy of joys a seat. Now I fully realise that this gadget will be a PITA for others (much worse than a rucksack) at exhibitions but I'm afraid I do need it.

The physio lady came on Tuesday to "assess" me. I am having a new bannister and a walking stick but she could not supply the rollator hence the paragraph above. She is also going to put me in touch with people who can help with the garden etc.

I really am determined to get my life back on track, so I am relying on you lot to bo11ock me if I show signs of weakening please.

Ed

Right Ed - so should you be attending Railex this year on the right day  (it would be nice to see you again) a couple of things

1. Please bring the shapely blonde so she can see what she's missing (by not visiting a decent model railway show - everybody knew that was what I meant so I don't know why I had to make it clear :scratchhead: ), and

2. Chris F and will pay special attention to what you have on your breakfast plate taking care to ensure that we remove from it anything we consider unsuitable for your shapely blonde ordered diet regime (I like my bacon nice & crisp).

In the meanwhile I hope her attentions benefit your condition and help you get going on the right track.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Matthew has been telling us about his conference. He had to run the plenary session and he probably doesn't have a future in the diplomatic service. Three people from Berlin had been difficult throughout the conference. They weren't happy about the food as there wasn't a full vegan option, Matthew said they had provided vegetarian options every day and it would have helped to know about vegan requirements before rather than on the first day. The registration pack sent out asked for details concerning diet. He also said the 50 euro cost for 6 days food and accommodation had required a lot of work by the team in Seville to find food that people would eat because it was nice not because they were hungry. Then they wanted to use the conference to denounce the German language for its discrimatory use of gender. Matthew said he felt that was a specific German situation that really wasn't what the conference was about. He was then criticised for being a man, ordering them about and ignoring their views. His answer " ok , moving on then ..." And finally some of he sessions were not punctual. That was apparently very bad!

Matthew was annoyed also that his Belgian friend Wendy had been denounced as racist by the German trio. She had made a film interviewing women in Pakistan and India travelling on buses. This film was about their problems and because it didn't show empowered women it was denounced.

Nearly everybody else thought the conference was a success.

I wonder if Dom has heard of people wishing to de-gender the German language.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Tony - It sound as though Matthew had a good conference slightly spoiled by individuals with their own agendas.

For some reason I'm too tired to concentrate on anything, so, night all

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. Dull but dry today, although the the sun did make several unsuccessful attempts to shine this morning. Working today at the very large brewery just outside Samlesbury. Another 4 jobs completed from my work schedule, at this rate I'll have nowt left for next week! I also got home early again today, so somethings bound to go wrong tomorrow, with it being POETS day! I also managed to make the second support cradle for my rolling road and a subsequent blog has been posted.

Speaking of sausages, on my way in from work yesterday, my journey took me past our local butchers. So naturally I called in as they just happen to be the UK's "National Sausage Champion" and I picked up a dozen of their finest "pork, garlic and cracked black pepper sausages", we now get a gorgeous smell every time we open the fridge. We're having bangers 'n' mash, mmmmmmm for tea on tomorrow evening, when we have the grandkids round as usual.

iD. Interesting information about pain management, something to bare in mind when next required. And as for hitting my thumb with a hammer, been there, done that, got the (blood stained) tee shirt!

Goodnight all.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ian A - sad news.

My test went well this morning. I wasn't going to tempt fate as her practice test with me a couple of days ago was a "pass" apart from one error that actually wasn't too serious and very easy to correct. Today's attempt for real, resulted in a 3 minor pass, so a very good drive.

She can now claim bragging rights amongst her siblings as she passed both theory and practical at first attempt. Her elder brother passed first time, but took two attempts at theory. Her elder sister passed theory first time, but driving test in two. A pleasure to teach as she readily took my instruction on board and continually improved - I don't think we ever had a "two steps forward, one step back" moment. If she's remotely like her brother and sister, she'll become a very good driver.

No more customers directly from that family, but I've already picked up a couple more through relatives/friends.

POE will happen tomorrow as I have a Daily Mail golf team match at 1pm. Quite looking forward to it, as it's a home match against one of our local clubs. Their course is very flat and they generally have an aversion to anything beyond a 1 in 100 slope - we have a few holes pushing 1 in 8 or so......

Edit - addition. Off to see "Livewire" on Friday night, an AC/DC tribute band that are reputed to be very good - a few pre-gig drinks with my nephew may be in order.

Then Saturday is the official start to our club's golf season. I sympathise with our new Captain because he has to make the first shot in front of the assembled masses. Bets are placed on how well/where he plays it. I did it last year and it went well, so the banter has started for him to equal or better it - there may be a small personal wager between us.

I hope others can manage a POE, if not make the most of Freya's (or Frigga's) Day

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Ian A very sad switching off life support must be hard to bear.

ID ouch!

Ed the wheelie makes sense but please do not be like FiL was and use it as a battering ram.

Tony Mathews conference makes me despair of the way the world is going do these people have any brains?

Cracking day today fencing work at the top of the garden could see the steam from the train approaching Watchet nice sound too. Dogs laid out in the sun. very pleasant despite the graft.

Don

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I once drilled (2.5mm) through my thumbnail, straight on through the thumb. No anaesthetic.

You are Grandadbob in disguise and I claim my £10..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Evening all. Just a quick check in before I turn in for the night. So sorry to hear Ian's news and I join the rest of ER's in sending my condolences. It really is no age to go.

Pleased to hear good news from Baz about the Leeds MRS and also that Ian (OD) is set to get back in the saddle as far as horse care is concerned. A nice piece of returning to normality.

Sorry to hear about Matthew's experience at the conference. Having attended more than my fair share of education courses and conferences over the years, I am only too aware of how things can be spoilt or hijacked by people carrying their own agenda.

Today has been another peaceful one. Sarah took advantage of her mum being off for a week to visit her again. The peace was much appreciated. I tried to get stuck into some planning for school but found it difficult to concentrate. I still have that nasty spaced out feeling, and the temperature has not quite returned to normal. In the end I took Sarah's advice and informed the headteacher I will be off tomorrow as well. I did make some progress with planning and hope, with a clearer head, I can make further progress tomorrow.

The work I did achieve was helped by a resource book purchased from Amazon the previous day. The package also included a small treat for myself, a discounted copy of James May's Toy Story" on DVD. I enjoyed rewatching the original Hornby Barnstable - Bideford attempt and the impressive Skalectrix race around the old Brooklands Circuit during the afternoon.

The day has also brought some exciting progress on our model railway show. I am keeping details close to my chest for now, but the outcome of a phone call this evening could really help our show a lot. I also received a nice surprise this morning with a message inviting me to exhibit at a show next year. This came out of the blue and I will also share more once the details have been finalised.

Sleep well all.

• Like 14

I once drilled (2.5mm) through my thumbnail, straight on through the thumb. No anaesthetic. Flavio's procedure sounds more civilised.

I once got my thumb caught on an old-fashioned hand plane sharpening wheel (Think 15" diameter, horizontal, 2kg weight holding thumb down, rotating 50rpm) and ground a 3mm hole through my nail into the bleedy parts underneath before I could stop it. Didn't half hurt. Made you appreciate modern machines with a big red button on the front as well (not 1955 models with the switches at the back).