The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. Needing some rest after having had to get up at 1.45 am but as a whiff of spring seemed to be in the air today, I wanted to share this:

dsc00998wyuvu.jpg

dsc01000hyuu0.jpg

For a while now, 1137 "Otto Mencke" has had two differently designed advertisements, the door side promoting an integrated mobility subscription allowing flexible use of public transport, bike and car sharing with one user card; and the left side promoting a PAYG style transit pass.

As for one of my images of yesterday:

img_0615tzuxb.jpg

…the explanation for the "H" ground marks is that in preparation for the different phases of single track operation through the engineering site on Georg-Schumann-Straße, temporary markings have been applied in those areas where the Möckern Station stop will be relocated to while the regular location – which is near the traffic lights you may be able to spot in the distance – will not be be called at.

Have a good one, everyone!

• Like 15

A'noon all. Needing some rest after having had to get up at 1.45 am but as a whiff of spring seemed to be in the air today, I wanted to share this:

dsc00998wyuvu.jpg

dsc01000hyuu0.jpg

For a while now, 1137 "Otto Mencke" has had two differently designed advertisements, the door side promoting an integrated mobility subscription allowing flexible use of public transport, bike and car sharing with one user card; and the left side promoting a PAYG style transit pass.

As for one of my images of yesterday:

img_0615tzuxb.jpg

…the explanation for the "H" ground marks is that in preparation for the different phases of single track operation through the engineering site on Georg-Schumann-Straße, temporary markings have been applied in those areas where the Möckern Station stop will be relocated to while the regular location – which is near the traffic lights you may be able to spot in the distance – will not be be called at.

Have a good one, everyone!

Can I ask, what is the steel work going across the road way and disappearing under the car on the left?

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask, what is the steel work going across the road way and disappearing under the car on the left?

Ah, could have pointed that out myself! There is a road bridge spanning a railway line in this location, and the temporary outbound stop I was calling at when I took this photo is currently located on that bridge. These steel structures would thus be one of the abutments of that bridge. Also note the expansion joints built into the rails corresponding with the abutment.

Afternoon all,

Having lost a couple of weeks of my life in dramatic fashion, we are now getting back to something akin to normal, despite the amazing number of people and organisations that it takes to set up a care package for me including a special bed and the like! I had a real scare when the phone rang on the evening of the seventeenth I think, instructing me to phone the Colchester General Hospital (where my oncologist had a brain scan done to try to find out more about headaches !'ve been having.) and get an ambulance to take me in right away, locked in a neck and head brace. The cancer has apparently spread, and my C1 vertebra is broken! I'm currently wearing a neck collar to support this lump between my ears, and might well have to do so for whatever time I have left. No way that the fight stops here though - out with the Claymore!!

I simply cannot express the uplifting effect of all the wonderful wishes on Joanna and I - we truly do have a remarkable, caring and supportive band of digital friends on here. I shouldn't be surprised after the almost three years now that you have been carrying us along on the tip of a wave.

Obviously there is no way that I'll ever catch up with what has been happening whilst I've been away. Joanna and I have promised that if we ever become lottery winners, one of the first things we will do is have good viable internet access installed at the General Hospital.

I know that some of you have experienced odd events whilst in, and I happened to get a urine infection at one point, making me think I was locked up by the CIA at one point, and even sending texts to my family that Dr Kumar, my oncologist was in the same ward as me! This at least let my daughter ring the hospital ward and got me on antibiotics rapidly!

I have to say that once again, the standard of care I received was superb, and the manners displayed by some of our mid - European carers were delightful, and it was nice to meet Polish, Hungarian as well as some people from parts of Africa, workers who are here, and have been for some years making a career. Enough politics now!

I am really tired now, so I'll sign off and check in later if I'm still awake. Needless to say, I've really missed you all, so thank you once more and,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Excellent to see Jock back and posting :locomotive:

Very late checking for me, was up early to take Jemma to her office (she's working the office/recruiting this week), then on to a Dr appointment!

Duly provided red and yellow stuff in the appropriate containers and got a jab for my trouble too - apparently there is some sort of pneumonia deterrent folks over 65 are supposed to get?? 

Decided the Donwton Abbey finale was agreeable for all of us that were watching - thankfully no stupid last minute catastrophes :O All over and I guess all better now :)

+6 already and sunny this morning as I drove to the Dr. Expecting an unseasonable 19 for the high, but that will not reach the record for this date.

Hope your week starts well.

• Like 12

Aft'noon all,

Best regards to any that ail....wonderful to have you with us again Jock & you too Debs

Good to be alive refreshingly icy blue sky circuit of the long anticlockwise in The Moorlands this afternoon....mottled areas of snow/bare ground can make large expanses of normally bland groundscape much more interesting to compose into pictures....

post-7795-0-80686700-1457370124.jpg

post-7795-0-90085400-1457370135.jpg

post-7795-0-53671400-1457370147.jpg

post-7795-0-30829400-1457370179.jpg

post-7795-0-06292300-1457370194.jpg

post-7795-0-18456500-1457370206.jpg

post-7795-0-12214200-1457370215.jpg

post-7795-0-94883500-1457370227.jpg

post-7795-0-04152300-1457370240.jpg

post-7795-0-41154900-1457370250.jpg

post-7795-0-74866600-1457370291.jpg

post-7795-0-41334400-1457370302.jpg

post-7795-0-32706400-1457370324.jpg

post-7795-0-27797000-1457370333.jpg

post-7795-0-20205900-1457370345.jpg

Taking the first of these pictures I noticed that the battery charge indicator was down to 1/3 and it dropped to flashing red/charge battery quickly after. Typical in such lovely conditions....I made sure that all subsequent pictures were taken quickly with little or no use of the zoom facility....luckily I managed to take all intended pictures on that last bit of charge.  

Is has her last radiotherapy tomorrow....she has to use a special cream as found in the burns unit now as her skin is struggling with the treatment.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

`So uplifting and reassuring to hear from you, Jock. :happy_mini:

And you and Ian and Gordon and many mnay others, I don't normally follow ER but have looked in a bit lately, its always good to read Good News.

All the very best to one and all.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Great to have you back with us Jock.   It's obvious that Colchester General  is a welcoming institution they obviously even give good care to people from near Hurlford.

Long may your posts continue.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back Jock. Like many gave already said, we've missed you.

• RMweb Premium

Jock

no Duchess today but the last LMS built Stanier Black 5 has passed through the weathering works...

Loco built by Mike Edge in EM. Originally built in OO and painted by Coachman in LMS colours

post-7650-0-93316900-1457375974_thumb.jpg

post-7650-0-50501000-1457375981_thumb.jpg

very nice loco!

Keep well Jock and hoping that our others with ailment are well on the way to being fully back on the rails.

Baz

• Like 18