The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Marvellous to hear that Jock is on the up, thanks Flavio, and Gordon sounds very chipper for a man so recently laid low.

RaR gets my vote for surprising age. Many Happy Returns seems the right thing to say to one 11 years further down the track than me!

If the vote goes against continuing European Membership in June, I shall really relish being back among those nice people Barry gets to meet. Hopefully if I have to return we can find somewhere remote from such no-hopers. Come to think of it, it must have been part of the impetus to move to France in the first place!

Ian,

You can safely move to Wales.

We won't warn the sheep, so they won't be too nervous when you pitch up on your bike.

I am satisfied that Ashers will have you dress the part, with beret and striped shirt, complete with the  statutory bandolier of onions whilst gasping on gauloises.

• Like 5

Car serviced today, which necessitated a trip to the metropolis of Workington.  Some shopping done while car in service, including a new pair of walking shoes from Sports Direct.  I am normally a size 12 shoe, but the rather nice Karrimor shoes I wanted were so tiny that I ended up with a size 14, just to get the width.

Then back home and a quick walk up and down the beach, as the tide was out.  During yesterday's similar walk, I observed a train with an interesting make-up.  It started with 2 class 68s, then a DRS coach, then about 5 or 6 double bogie flatrol wagons, another DRS coach, then another 68 bringing up the rear.  I didn't have the camera with me to snap it, unfortunately.

Some real signs of spring at last, as there are some sheep in the field next to our house, many of them with new-born lambs.  Most of the lambs are white, but with one pair almost completely black.

Great to hear that Jock is progressing well, and looking forward to his return to ERs.

• Like 16

Afternoon all.

Ian, it sounds like you've stumbled onto a nest of Vogons. Apart from bending them over on the costs incurred for all the extra hoops they make you jump though there is no joy in those sorts of projects. I've had to give up and build a VM just to install the crap receiver software our client uses for remote access. The package is so poor it up all sorts of things. At least in the VM I can just delete the whole thing afterwards with out it leaving a stain on my corp laptop. Dickless wonders indeed.

Speaking of cockwombles, what sort of hoofw*nking arsebiscuit calls a telecon meeting at 16:45 on a Friday just to discuss a reorganisation that may or may not happen in a year's time? no POE for me today. Tempted to dial in, put the headphones on mute, then go to the pub. AARRGGHH

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Back from Enfield. I wasn't at all well last night but made an effort to get over to MiL's flat as apparently there were things only I could do. Arrived to find they had all been done. Totally out of character I was rather grumpy about it. Aditi understood why fortunately. I am pleased that MiL's flat is ready for her return on Monday though.

Aditi has now gone off to a committee meeting for her French group. Someone is coming to talk about Proust next week and we are putting him up overnight. We have warned him about Robbie.

I was surprised at Ian being given sodium chlorate. I know all about its normal useage. I suspect it was sodium chloride, unless they were concerned about vegetation in Ian's plumbing.

Tony

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Ian A - Yet another auto incorrect. Nice idea to be in Cork rather than work!!

No POETS day for me as just to much to do. Part way reading through 25 pages of amendments to a standard contract. Think it's one for the solicitors rather than me.

Looking at the snowy photos here's one that is the opposite and so far the trains running OK.

Some of our late friends narrow gauge layout is now at mums as the rest of us have nowhere to store all of it but parts will be going soon to a few people as and when they get chance to collect it. Hopefully Bourne Valley wil be exhibited again in its full 34 feet size as it was great fun when it used to go out like that.

Also handed to us are some of his N scale stock that he had worked on for Banbury so it will be nice to be able to run his scratch built NR laser car and other modified items of stock all in memory of him.

Unfortunately the HSTT did get sold at auction before we could bid online for them and his TT scale Czech locos were packaged up with N or narrow gauge items at the same auction so again we missed out on keeping items he had spent many hours working on and we would have paid more for the individual items than them being incorrectly marked up in a job lot of other scale stuff. I have scoured eBay in case they appeared on there but with no luck.

Anyway here is a photo at London Bridge this evening

post-1557-0-60958200-1457112903_thumb.jpeg

Update

Spoke too soon - train now late!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

We had an inch of snow this morning - they didn’t even bother to post a “Winter Weather Advisory”. Heavy snow is something over 18”........

Ian D. : How long have you lived in France and paid their taxes? You must have paid the French equivalent of National Health too?

Been here since 1989 paying taxes etc and when I’m 65 I’ll get Medicare (which ain’t prefect but better than nothing).

I wouldn’t move back if I was you.

Best, Pete.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Well that was a strange afternoon.  When I posted earlier I was in quite some pain, and almost at my wits end as it was driving me batty as the pain relief wasn't really working well at all.  I managed to finally get to sleep for an hour, and awoke feeling like 'something' had changed.  It had, pain was almost gone, and I felt a hint of normality for the first time in almost a week.  Really odd, I just 'felt different' suddenly, for the better.  I'm now exhausted, but finally feel I am over the worst.  When Debs came in from work I mentioned this, and she said her colleague (who had a similar illness last week) reported the same experiences.

Now, to important things - great to hear Jock is going to get home, and iD's post was immediately after I expressed my concern!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We have frosted glass in ours.

Keeps the neighbours happy.

We only have to worry for about 15 seconds twice per hour as the train passes.........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We had an inch of snow this morning - they didn’t even bother to post a “Winter Weather Advisory”. Heavy snow is something over 18”........

Ian D. : How long have you lived in France and paid their taxes? You must have paid the French equivalent of National Health too?

Been here since 1989 paying taxes etc and when I’m 65 I’ll get Medicare (which ain’t prefect but better than nothing).

I wouldn’t move back if I was you.

Best, Pete.

It's all about uncertainty, really. Yes, been paying taxes here for a decade, while since my 65th birthday the UK picks up my healthcare costs anyway. But what would obtain if UK sets sail? No-one knows. As Tony S pointed out, there is a two-year notice period, so 2018 would be crunch time if things do get tricky. Just something to watch at this stage.

• RMweb Gold

It's all about uncertainty, really. Yes, been paying taxes here for a decade, while since my 65th birthday the UK picks up my healthcare costs anyway. But what would obtain if UK sets sail? No-one knows. As Tony S pointed out, there is a two-year notice period, so 2018 would be crunch time if things do get tricky. Just something to watch at this stage.

Update on the two years. After applying to leave the treaty states 2 years. However the referendum result is "advisory" so the two years begin whenever the government decides. I haven't seen a timetable for the period between any "leave " decision and applying to leave. Just for information! If you want to know how I hope the result turns out my Facebook page may have the odd hint.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Great news about Jock and everyone else who has been under the weather lately seems to be recovering and may it continue to be so. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 11

Yet another day that went to plan, I'm starting to get worried. The only fly in the ointment was the journey home.

My first job was at a school and I was quite confused seeing teachers and children dressed up. For some reason they'd decided to have world book day today instead of yesterday like everyone else.

Mick - Happy birthday to Mrs NB

RaR - Belated birthday greetings

Neil - I hope that you manage to get the hip pain under control quickly. I see that you seem to be over the worst this evening. More good news

Flavio - Thanks for the update about Jock. I hope that I have his tenacity if required

Ian A & AndrewC - I have one client that created a safety specification 5 years ago which is still valid today. They have since managed to specify work on several sites over the past 2 years and failed to ensure that this is adhered to. Now I have to find a way to resolve it with minimal disruption. COCKWOMBLES

• Like 1