The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

If you're on the beach, swimming in the sea, and it starts to rain, what do you do:

a. rush out and dive for shelter

b. stay where you are?

Guess this depends on whether it is just rain or indeed a thunderstorm :unsure: .

• RMweb Gold

In the dim and distant past when I cycled to school, if it rained the standard waterproof was a yellow cycling-cape. That way if you were old enough to wear long trousers they were only damp from the shin down. I can't imagine many of today's younger teens tolerating short trousers so long. At the secondary school I went to, the uniform included short trousers until the third year (modern year nine) unless you were over 5 foot tall. Some short boys were shaving before they were allowed to wear long trousers.

Tony

I had to wear shorts at school until I was 11.

Been an extraordinarily busy few days at work. Looking forward to a quieter day tomorrow followed by leaving drinks for a colleague. After the week our team's had, we'll be very glad of a pint/g&t/babycham.......

This Jam, is one of the advantages of lycra - It dries a lot quicker than conventional clothes. :lol:

Hope you have dried out now. As I said to a friend the other day - there is nothing wrong with cycling in the rain, but doing 30kph with driving rain will see you drenched and the novelty soon wears off.

The Barron Knights - There's a name I haven't heard mention of for many years! Wonder what happened to them?!?

Tony - Glad you got some good news!

The Barron Knights - There's a name I haven't heard mention of for many years! Wonder what happened to them?!?

I'd heard that they were still around although with a few changes. Dave Ballanger (drums), for example, left to manage the Sandown Pavilion (Isle of Wight, Sandown Pier) where I saw them perform many times in the 80s. As for Butch, Pete, Duke, well I've no idea but I also recall at that time, they were sponsored by Vauxhall!!??

Who could forget the antics of Ann and Joe, Outside the chip shop in Walthamstow?

As for Arthur Clarke, the Gardener in the Park, I requested that several times live but they refused - it cracked them up too much to perform!

Swimming in rain is FUN. It's warmer in the water than out. :D

Also playing soccer in rain wearing only a bathing costume!

Sitting in a tent in rain is NOT fun. :(

I hope you had a hot shower or bath Jam.

Did you manage to wring out your shoes?

Morning all,

All oktas present, incorrect and leaking profusely here!

Swimming in rain is FUN. It's warmer in the water than out. :D

Also playing soccer in rain wearing only a bathing costume!

Sitting in a tent in rain is NOT fun. :(

Agree with you on all counts, Don. Was it the Stereophonics who started a song with the lyric: 'I go walking in the rain just to get wet on purpose'?

Morning all.

4 oktas here, ground's damp, but it looks like it's clearing.

Had another disturbed night, keep waking up during the night and have been awake on and off since about 4.30. Hopefully a couple of drinks tonight at a colleague's leaving do will prevent the same happening tonight!

Morning All!

All 8 Oktas here and they're leaking quite substantially! unsure.gif

Still, it's Friday Morning, 1/2 a day left to go of this week - I've found myself this week again quite tired, so I'll be glad to get to 12 o;clock!

Does anyone have any plans for the weekend? I've been trying to squeeze in some railway-ing but didn't here great thinks about the Southampton Exhibition, and Tolworth is just a bit too hard to get to on Public Transport.... angry.gif

Have a good Friday everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Day off today, I was going to have a long overdue shed day at the MHR, but looking at the weather I think I'll leave it - they won't miss me. Might well crack on with the O gauge Barclay, the rods are finished, just need to fit motor and pickups now. I do like days like this, it might be peeing down out there but I don't have to go out of the door - as I've said before when you have a job as I do where you are outside all of the time and basically just driving round the countryside, pleasant as that may be it's always nice to have a day where you can just stay in and play with toys. Lots of food in stock, a bottle of red and the guitar and big telly for later, not too bad!

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Apparently i'm not allowed to cycle in because it's raining - well it's been raining most of the week! :unsure: :lol:

I did have a nice hot bath actually Don which was good relief from the cold rain!

I've just checked the shoes and they are still damp so I guess i'll be wearing the pair of boots today!

All in all quite a miserable day! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It is raining here and I think it may have been raining all night. Even the dog was reluctant to go out this morning which is most unusual. Model railway tasks for today include

1)going to the post office to collect the package that couldn't be left (signature required) yesterday while I was in London

2) I've volunteered to help put the club modules in the van for the monthly outing on Saturday

3) finishing the baggage / trailer car I've been making for about the last month.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Definite case of leaking oktas in these parts. No work today as I'm heading West for a boys weekend. If the rain doesn't stop we are going to be forced to stay in the pub!

Cheers

Dave

I'm heading West for a boys weekend. If the rain doesn't stop we are going to be forced to stay in the pub!

In taht case, why bother to 'go west' just stay in your local and save fuel too :lol:

All 8 Oktas here and they're leaking quite substantially! unsure.gif

Be assured that these darned oktas are everywhere this morning and they're all leaking - Portchester, Winchester, Newbury, Reading, Farnborough and here in Darkest Hampshire too! Good job my van doesn't leak too!

Does anyone have any plans for the weekend? I've been trying to squeeze in some railway-ing but didn't here great thinks about the Southampton Exhibition, and Tolworth is just a bit too hard to get to on Public Transport.... angry.gif

I'm planning to take in the Solent Group show at Lordshill, but in combinantion with a meeting of the Swiss Railway Society local branch at Totton. I'm also thinking about Tolworth for Sunday. Now, engineering works permitting, you should be able to get over to this side of the County!

Have a good Friday everyone!

Thanks; you too!

Indeed not. Just remembering past pleasures. :D

I didn't think I was being sad at all! :rolleyes:

Nor do I, Don, given half a chance (and a slightly warmer climate) I'd join you in a game of football! (although at the moment, it's probably not raining hard enough!)

I remember whilst I was living on the Isle of Wight, seeing a guy driving his tractor (in the days before they had to have cabs and roll bars!) The weather - pouring with rain, his 'attire' swimming trunks and safety shoes!

Skin's far more waterproof than most clothing!

• RMweb Gold

It's just started raining heavily here, but I understand that this is just the tail end of what is hitting other parts of the country. Here's hoping that everyone is Ok and that there is not too much damage.