The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Another very cold but bright day, with the temperature - currently 4, rising to 8 later - being more than offset by a serious windchill. Best indoors, really. I do have to clear the barn so farmer Richard can deliver hay tomorrow. He's just had time in dock after a serious cut on his knee was not properly treated - he was given steri-strips, when multiple stitches were clearly needed, and the wound festered.

Sherry arrived here last Monday with a cold, which has made her very tired at times, but the last couple of days have seen her shake it off. Implausibly, I have no symptoms.

Spreadsheets eluded me, and I've seldom felt disadvantaged. I think I may have been on a one- or two-day course about 20 years ago, but never needed to make use. I did pass O Level maths, can still do some mental arithmetic, and must have taught myself some extra stuff too. After all, no skool ever expected me to recite my 17x table! Deb's father had taught in Leeds, and found apparent boneheads in his class accurately calculating prices when helping out on dad's stall in Leeds market on a Saturday. He loved maths, and enjoyed an affordable flutter on the horses, finding satisfaction in complicated bets. He kept a year-long record of his gains and losses. Numerate.

I was not a sporting type. Not much cop at cricket or football, never encountered rugby. Not so bad at cross-country.

Out for dinner chez other Anglais last night. We were driven, which is always nice, and Ivy is a reassuring driver, in their nice elderly Rover. The numbers for dinner dwindle as the years go by, and Sheena is the latest to no longer be a resident. Her house has already got major roof-works under way, so the new owner is getting stuck in before he can move in. Some discussion about UK leaving the EU. Not sure about my status here then. Healthcare would suddenly not be available, I imagine, as the current reciprocal arrangement would perish. Much to contemplate. Would Sherry and I survive being in her flat 24/7/365?

Hope Sunday is indeed a Day of Rest for you.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I am unusual amongst Welshmen - I loathe sport even Rugby!

Wot!

I do not see you loathing the consumption of Brains beer and Clarkes pies which is a serious sport in my eyes.

I've spent years honing my skills in this most serious of sporting disciplines.

I even offered to take it up professionally!

Some discussion about UK leaving the EU. Not sure about my status here then. Healthcare would suddenly not be available, I imagine, as the current reciprocal arrangement would perish. Much to contemplate. Would Sherry and I survive being in her flat 24/7/365?

It would be ironic if UK leaving EU resulted in a wave of migration of ex-pat Brits!  I suppose the Express would be pleased if this resulted in a rise in house prices.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Ever wondered what happens on a Sunday when you don't rise early and leave that for others to do?  This morning was particularly frustrating with an occupation taking out the three major eastern suburbs lines followed by the partial loss of the only alternative access to the replacement buses when we lost signal power.  We're not normally permitted to have replacement buses stop at the Palace due to the congestion it would cause and the availability of nearby alternatives.

So a lot of bemused people and quite a fair few of them unable to understand the rather complex directions required to get them where they wished to be; the eastern suburbs are home to major Thai, Viet and Mandarin-speaking communities and I'm afraid I don't "do" any of those.  It's usually a good bet they aren't native English speakers when they approach you with smart-phone in hand and point to the one English-language word (their station name) amid unfamiliar text and gaze at you with a hopeful expression .....

On the other hand and to lighten the mood a little we did receive an unannounced visit from the Men In Suits, something akin to a pop-up male voice choir.  Taking up position under the dome (which has good acoustics) of the main entrance until they were smartly moved on by the Station Master and a couple of Men In Orange Vests.  

The clip is a few years old and was partly filmed at Armadale which is one of our quieter inner suburban stations.   The message and the song was as clear and as relevant today ;)

• Like 12

It would be ironic if UK leaving EU resulted in a wave of migration of ex-pat Brits!  I suppose the Express would be pleased if this resulted in a rise in house prices.

Ed

I’d be more concerned about 4 quid for a pint of beer (see Chris F.)

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I watched some excellent rugby today.

Scotland deserved their win and it would be really good to see them beating France in a fortnight.

As for the England v Ireland game, I was a bit disappointed with Ireland who had problems getting over the gain line.

It's all down to England v Wales on the 12th. After todays performance, I believe that Wales have a good chance.

(I am expecting some on here to disagree with me)

Yes, agree it's all about England-Wales. Thought that Ireland had some bad luck yesterday with their try/non-try; Henshaw's run was very JPR Williams and unlucky that he was tackled just before he made the try. Liked that Ireland took the game to England until the last minutes.

Don't know whether Scotland can deal with Ireland in Dublin, though. Would like to think so... :no:

Mal

• RMweb Premium

..... Some discussion about UK leaving the EU. Not sure about my status here then. Healthcare would suddenly not be available, I imagine, as the current reciprocal arrangement would perish. Much to contemplate. ....

I had wondered how leaving the EU would affect ex-pats living there, but hadn't considered this angle. I could imagine that it would all be a bit unsettling having the terms and conditions swept from underneath your feet so to speak. I hope for a sensible outcome.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Neil.

Other rule changes which would be tricky to predict include taxation. Under EU rules, although my pensions are all paid in the UK, as I reside in France I am taxed here, according to prevailing exchange rates on my pay-days. While I'm sure France would insist I keep paying, would the UK demand some too?

In practice, if the news on 24th June is that UK quits the EU, it will take some time, I think, for disengagement to be secured, with a Leaving Date. There will be quite a few houses going on the market thereafter, in a France even more mired in housing slump than the UK currently is. There seem to be about a third of a million Brits in France, we are told, but how many are in employment, and would thus probably be able to stay, I know not.

Unsettling, but beyond my control.

• RMweb Gold

Do you get to vote in the referendum?

Cheers,

Mick

I believe one political party is encouraging us to do so, possibly on Facebook, but I may be wrong, and it may not be allowed. I'm afraid when I retired abroad I rather lost interest in current affairs altogether. A sort of stepping away from all those hour-long morning commutes reading today's bad news.

A bit head-in-sand, it's true.

• RMweb Premium

Do you get to vote in the referendum?

Cheers,

Mick

I believe one political party is encouraging us to do so, possibly on Facebook, but I may be wrong, and it may not be allowed. I'm afraid when I retired abroad I rather lost interest in current affairs altogether. A sort of stepping away from all those hour-long morning commutes reading today's bad news.

A bit head-in-sand, it's true.

If you are a British citizen registered to vote in the UK the answer is yes. In your case Ian you could register using Sherry's flat as an address, all quite legal and above board. Irish, Maltese and Cypriots resident in the UK are also entitled to vote in the referendum, Gibraltarians are automatically included as they are already in an English Euro constituency.

Edited by PhilJ W

Ally Pally. Apparently I will be in receipt of a two day ticket, so I will be available for an ER meet on the Saturday.

Off to York tomorrow, so won't be on line until next weekend.

Keep well all, Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

If you are a British citizen registered to vote in the UK the answer is yes. In your case Ian you could register using Sherry's flat as an address, all quite legal and above board. Irish, Maltese and Cypriots resident in the UK are also entitled to vote in the referendum, Gibraltarians are automatically included as they are already in an English Euro constituency.

My bride has a concern that if I register at her address, then her Council Tax might rise!

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Not so well today, I think perhaps a virus that attacks joints, as my arthritic bits all called enough big time today, and I came home from Groudle at lunchtime feeling absolutely shattered, having done....nothing, really.  Had a hot bath and went to bed at 2 and didn't surface until 7.  I feel like someone has deflated me.  Still, a mere trifle compared to what some of our friends on here are currently suffering.

I am also a complete failure at sport of any kind, unless it has engines and wheels!  I just have no interest at all in football, and no more than a passing interest in rugby. Our school allowed lads such as myself in the 5th and 6th to do what was allegedly 'social service', when you were supposed to go and volunteer somewhere.  Or take the afternoon off.....which was the truth of the matter.   Homework time!  Only the 'good lads' were allowed this though. Lads, yes - no gurls at the school I went to, unfortunately, which rather stifles ones social development a few years.

I don’t think the Inland Revenue insist on Double-taxation  unlike the US IR which is one reason why I have no inclination to become a US citizen. Although I believe even they would only send you a bill if the Income Tax you paid is less than you would have paid in the USA. They also do not pay interest on overpayment.

To be honest I’d agree with local Council rates/taxes should you as a family own properties in both countries, sorry. I’m not quite sure if that is what Ian is getting at though.

Beer I can live without affordable housing is a necessity.......

Damn, I can’t find my “pious" button, Mick.... :drag:

Best, Pete.

• Like 7