The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I caught a glimpse of a TV programme earlier: "Escape to the Country"

Maybe I could pitch a more popular programme to TV: "Escape from the Country"

Sadly that one already exists. I can't remember what it's called, though...

It does remind me of Humph's introduction to the 30th Anniversary edition of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue from 2002.

"What a different place Britain was back in 1972. The first series of Last of the Summer Wine had only just begun its 17th repeat, and there were just three television channels showing a limited selection of comedy, news, drama and sport. How tv has changed today, with digital technology providing many hundreds of channels showing a dazzling variety of gardening. The Britain of 1972 was in economic turmoil as car factories, docks and coal mines were hit by strikes, mass walkouts and picket lines. Three curses eliminated by later governments... car factories, docks and coal mines... Also that year, the plan to build a channel tunnel was scrapped amid fears that thousands of poverty-stricken migrants might attempt to rush through it. The Government of the day sensibly decided not to let us out...

In April 1972, Britain was still grappling with the baffling complexity of decimal currency. At the time it was feared decimalisation might lead to inflation with the price of consumer items such as a gallon of petrol being sneakily rounded up from 3 shillings and sixpence to two pounds fifty...

We return here to the Playhouse Theatre, where our very first show was made back on April 4th, thirty years ago, and as the teams arrived in their usual garb of tie-dye t-shirts, paisley cravats and loon pants, I couldn't help but try to remember what they wore back in 1972... " :D

Morning All,

As predicted, the weather isn't too good this morning. It was raining a few minutes ago, but there are plenty of things to be doing inside - so I guess it is going to be a quiet day doing jobs!

Have a good one everybody...

Morning all excited to be going to Scalefour for the first time I have no spare money but my friend Bob is providing the transport. Looked forward to this for years.

Do you mean Scaleforum at Leatherhead, Mick? Great show, so have a good time. I've got things on the domestic/family front this weekend, or I'd have said hello and bought you a beer.

Guest Max Stafford

A big thank you to Germany for borrowing the rain today! ;) It's a beautiful, clear sunny morning up here on the edge of the Roman Empire. I'm taking Abi out in a minute then I'm off into town to pick up my Bachmann coaling tower then I'm meeting my mate and his wife for a coffee as they pass through on their way to the Kingdom of Yorkshire on a holiday.

I haven't seen my mate since 1998!

Enjoy your day chaps!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - beautiful autumn day down in the deepest south at the moment. Sunshine, deep blue sky but breezy and cold. I haven't missed going out much but days like today it would be nice to get out with the Nikon, either in the countryside or on the shores of the Solent.

Sounds like some nice things going on with ERs, hope you enjoy your days. It's sport on tv all the way for me today with Premiership football and rugby on the cards. Pizza to be eaten but no beer unfortunately.

Have a good one!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a lovely morning here as well. House, garden and dog all looking tidy ready for weekend visitors, though of course dog is capable of making everything untidy again. He isn't naughty just very hairy!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

No beer.....:blink:

I haven't seen that on the news. Is there a crisis down in 'Ampshire? Do you need me to send some down? Is this another legacy of George Brown?

The world really is falling apart....

This is a state secret - tell noone else!!.

One of the main functions of the maritime arm of the Royal Logistical Corps in Marchwood is to take crates of beer on sea voyages to break the customs bond on that beer. This enables it to be sold at very favourable prices to other members of the Corps. I have no idea the absolute details of how it works but it does.

My SiL, who used to be in this arm of our finest before his transfer to the Army Air Corps, can still, through friends, take advantage of this arrangement. And so, of course, can I.

However, due to the small matter of him flying helicopters at the moment, supply has proved to be somewhat patchy, hence the temporary teetotal state of my household.

• RMweb Premium

I wondered what all the pipework was about! Should be able to liberate some 12BA washers for you tomorrow if that helps!

New espresso machine arrived this morning. Cleaned, commissioned and tested. One modeller now feeling much better. :)

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Morning All (will be afternoon when I hit enter, though)

Lovely here with about three oktas and sun breaking through, so I'll be getting a chair out and spending some time in the garden watching Mrs 45156 doing the tidying up - I've a horrible feeling that she's storing up the jobs in her head in a sort of credit and debit balance, and as I'm so immobile, the balance for ole 45156 is well into debit.

DD glad to hear the fridge is gone - good luck in trying to get the call centre to sort out the account - should be fun - just watch the cost if the calls are to 0844 or 0871 and make sure that you get some sort of recompense for the cost of the calls if they are chargeable.

I had a bit of a runin with my bank too over non delivery of chequebooks, and by the post today, I received (in separate envelopes of course) two chequebooks and two pay in books - yes as has been said, the banks are now staffed by idiots while the bonuses get bigger.

Oh yes, and the comments about a Zimmer struck a nerve as I'm still on mine, and it's getting wobbly - not sure that it was designed for a 14 stone man hopping aout using it as a support - must try to tighten it up later.

Mick - you'll be a Scaleforum by now - have a good time, and keep wallet firmly buttoned.

As usual for the weekend - hapy exhibiting to those showing, and happy viewing to those attending for a look.

I'll get some sunshine now, and check in again later to see who's about.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a big Formula one follower but I'm watching the practice on the Beeb. Doesn't Singapore look stunning?

I love how big cities look at night, I once had a supper cruise up and down the East and Hudson Rivers in New York - I'll never forget the sight of the Manhattan skyline all lit up. It absolutely took my breath away and it looks like Singapore has that same wow factor.

Because of our rural location, it's a 32 mile round trip to my bank.

Therefore I post cheques, usually, to be paid in.

My bank doesn't issue paying-in books on personal current accounts.

I therefore have printed off some slips saying: Dear Manager, Please pay this cheque into my account ... blah ... blah.

Now, if I ran a bank rolleyes.gif I'd be issuing Paying-In Books long before I issued Cheque Books!

---------

How many crates can that helicopter carry, Phil?

Guest Max Stafford

I hope all your days went well. My mate and his good lady arrived in town an hour early, but that made no odds as I was back from the park with Abi in any case in good time. We had a good two hours catching up on over a decade of events. After this, I went to collect the coaler then home, got the front grass cut, the rear garden tidied and the car interior cleaned out. No modelling today unsurprisingly, but I'm having a good ogle at the magnificent coaler. Looks like the centrepiece of Inchkennet is going to be an engine shed!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Looking grey and wet outside, but it isn't raining at this moment. We decided to do an apple cake today, so we may have something to go along with the afternoon cup of coffee... :)

Wish you a pleasant day and don't get wet! :D

Morning All,

It is currently dry here, but I am not sure how long that will last. It looks like it could be showery today.

Nothing dramatic planned for today - going out for brunch later on with a group of friends, then I'll probably do a few jobs around the house.

Have a good day everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - what happened to autumn? Feels decidedly wintry today but I'm determined the heating is not going on till October.

Looks like wall to wall sport again today, as well as ESPN I believe Sky Sports is free today. Only cloud on the horizon is a promised (threatened?) visit from wifey.

It's a hard life.