The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We had a train driver, Jack, at a small South coast depot who was nicknamed Effing Jack. Whatever the subject matter be it trains, managers or anything, he would throw in the eff word and other expletives every 3 or 4 words. So a typical demonstration would be 'We were 3 bastarding minutes late into effing London Bridge because the bastard signalman forgot the effing signal and left us at the effing home'.

One Christmas we sent him a Christmas card using his type of speech to wish him seasonal greetings and he didnt understand it.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Swearing - ummm, I was at sea for 7 years, I know them all!  However, a colleague back in my NHS days could put the f word into the middle of other words, without even knowing he was doing it.

He once said he had worked for 'Dun-effing-lops', and wondered why we all fell about laughing.  Like Lightengine's bloke, he was known as 'effing Kevin' to all and sundry.

• Like 10

Swearing - ummm, I was at sea for 7 years, I know them all!  However, a colleague back in my NHS days could put the f word into the middle of other words, without even knowing he was doing it.

He once said he had worked for 'Dun-effing-lops', and wondered why we all fell about laughing.  Like Lightengine's bloke, he was known as 'effing Kevin' to all and sundry.

I know what you mean with the insertion bit. I worked on the ferries with a Hully gully and he would sing like that. We used to get serenaded with things like red red effing wine, you got me singing the effing blues etc. He had a great song list.

• Like 2

Earlier today Ashcombe mentioned the Spoons pub in Teignmouth, the Jolie Brise.

Reading the local paper today it says that the ship after which the pub is named is going to visit Teignmouth in May for 2 days. The

Jolie Brise was constructed early in the 2nd decade of the 1900's. It apparently belongs to a public school and is used for sail training purposes.

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. A bright but frosty start to the day -1C when I started the car after first defrosting it in my usual manner. It took almost 2 hours to drive to Thornton, near Blackpool, due to an accident on the M6, just after its junction with the M61. However, by the time I got there it had warmed up to a heady 2C, but by then it was snowing and miserable. Needless to say, the first task once I arrived on site was to put the kettle on and have a nice warm cup of tea! When it came to packing up an hour later, the sun was out and it was glorious. My next job was in Lancaster, as I had plenty of time I decided to take the scenic route. Whilst doing so I drove past a man driving his car, with a dog on his lap, WTF, I had to look twice! Thankfully it was only a small dog, but never the less what a d&£k!

Goodnight all

• RMweb Premium

So last club night in old clubrooms. We went for a pint in the Midnight Bell a pub owned by the biggest brewery in Leeds...Leeds brewery.

I had a pint of Leeds best, tried the gingerbread stout but finished on a pint of Leeds Gold. A good swift walk to a bus stop allowed me to have 5 minutes to warm through before the bus set off. A number of student groups spotted on the "Otley Run", mostly feeling no pain when walking into cars, walls etc.

Sleep well!

Baz

Or have a nice day Rick!

• Like 19

Strange thing about swearing is that what were considered really bad words have become common on TV and films. The F word is in daily use on shows and the C word, which I thought was the last verbal taboo is also creeping in. It's a shame really as, like nuclear weapons, I think there should always be something that is so fearful it is only used as a last resort. I am talking about films and telly here, not workplaces that I have worked in.(Probably me who lowered the tone in those places).

Stay safe all.

• Like 9

So last club night in old clubrooms. We went for a pint in the Midnight Bell a pub owned by the biggest brewery in Leeds...Leeds brewery.

I had a pint of Leeds best, tried the gingerbread stout but finished on a pint of Leeds Gold. A good swift walk to a bus stop allowed me to have 5 minutes to warm through before the bus set off. A number of student groups spotted on the "Otley Run", mostly feeling no pain when walking into cars, walls etc.

Sleep well!

Baz

Or have a nice day Rick!

I haven’t visited Leeds in yonks! Must rectify. Thanks, Baz.

Oh, we’re under a Tornado Watch - must get on roof with MOD binoculars...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

I mentioned earlier we are going on a cruise in April. Aditi has just had an email upgrading our cabin. Same grade but nearer the middle of the ship. Perhaps if I keep mentioning it in posts we will get more upgrades! B)

What you want is the one over the bridge with a balcony big enough to land your helicopter. Free Jelly Bears....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes to those that are ailing. Good to hear from Jock

I've seen swearing used to emphasise the time.

For example: It's five f%&kin' thirty.

Quite a good day, a couple of very good 2 hour sessions driving around Blackburn - if it's possible to describe driving round Blackburn as "good". The Ford quickclear windscreen did it's job most efficiently this morning.

Then a win in the mixed doubles winter league with SiL. We have two games to play. If we win both or win one draw one, we win the league. If we lose one, then it's a three way tie. Don't quite know how they'll sort that one. 

A bit of modelling tonight with work on my new layout and modifying some stock that was playing up last weekend.

Tomorrow is more driving with a detour via the doc to try and pin down a skin irritation (and aminor ailment compared to others) causing a minor rash on my face. They've had two goes so far, hope it's third time lucky!

Have a good post-HUMP, pre-POETS day everyone.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I haven’t visited Leeds in yonks! Must rectify. Thanks, Baz.

Last time I visited Leeds, we had an interesting encounter with a hen night party.....

post-408-0-79039800-1456359222.jpg

Partially thanks to Barry O , as we were there at the Leeds Exhibition with a layout.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hang on.... are you working on the same project as me, sure sounds like it?!?!?! :jester:

Sounds like the one I sort of finished up on the other end of.  It had started sometime before I arrived in my final big railway job and was a  sort of sooper very doper rostering/time & attendance recording system that was so amazingly clever it could do almost anything before yo even asked it to do it - well that was how it was described.  Anyway it seemed to be spending an awful long time 'in development' and then the bunch building it started asking for more money every month due to the need to alter functionality and do this and do that so I was duly lumbered with having to review progress and explain what the new monthly bill - now going over original budget - would actually deliver n top of the spec.

So I just asked a series of questions about how it would perform various tasks all of which were in the original spec (allegedly) - and found that all it could actually do was record attendance from a manual entry, not off a swipe card (as it should have) could calculate hours worked, could sort of project those hours forward to an annual total, could record manually entered roster details but couldn't actually write a roster and so on.  A quick check, all that it took, revealed certain holes in the original spec from the client (us), going through the correspondence revealed that the people building it hadn't even got the spec but had been, it seems, briefed by their company's project manager on what was wanted - and then hadn't achieved even that.

So I recommended to my director that the best thing to do was take it as it stood for its time and attendance (limited capability), use it for recording roster details and not pay any more invoices and tell the developers to get lost.  So he did - saved tens of thousands of £s on ongoing costs achieving nothing but it was a ruddy expensive adding machine to do basically what a decent Excel package could have done.  I then shopped around for something better - and couldn't find it but after I left some idiot went and bought a system I'd looked at and rejected and then told my former staff to use it - disaster and that was dumped too but within months.  Simple lesson with IT - ask the people who are going to actually use it what they do in their  jobs and how they do it then work from that - not what you think they do.

G'night all.

• Like 15

Morning All,

We have another chilly morning here.  The temperature is actually down below freezing.

I have a day of software testing to look forward to, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Last time I visited Leeds, we had an interesting encounter with a hen night party.....

attachicon.gifImg_0951.jpg

Partially thanks to Barry O , as we were there at the Leeds Exhibition with a layout.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes and the Blackburn lads were all amazed at the sights you see in Leeds of a night time!

Baz

PS note that Mick has two hands on view....

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning/evening/night everyone!

It's a tad chilly here in the North West Leeds highlands. Ed cold is lingering on but stick it, I have things I want to do today.

Hope the next 24 hours go well.

Baz

Greetings from hospital, here in leafy S.W London; "land of the Womble". ;)

A little update: I suffered a bit of a health 'wobble' in the immediate days post-surgery; but now I`m well on the mend......thanks {again} for all your kind, good wishes. :good:

Wishing for you all, a really lovely E.R`s Thursday. :friends:

Good morning one and all

A pleasant surprise yesterday - my new passport arrived, delivered by a smiling courier.  Well, it was only just after 9 am.  Then came an e-mail from Hattons telling me that my pre-order is being processed.  Since you ask, it is for a blood and custard Collett SK, so there is another project to add to the pile.

Today I am to visit Poorly Pal.  After a quick trip into town for a necessary errand the catering box - wok, paddle, ingredients and recipe book - will go into the car.  Later tonight is a meeting of Stevenage Locomotive Society.  Fortunately, and perhaps controversially, I shall miss the stately passage of the money pit, aka Scotsman.  Why it is considered worthy of an item on the Today programme* I do not know!  Its spokesman is trotting out inaccuracies by the mile as I type.  Oh well, you can fool some of the people all of the time.  Phineas T Barnum, where art thou?

Good luck and health to all in need of them

Chris

* - on a day when Tony Blackburn is headline news!  Heaven help us

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning

A great evening with Andrew C drinking Moor beer made even better by winning a Moor Brewery glass which came with Moor beer. The barman did come and have a quiet chat that he would advise not to have a pint of the 10% ale. Luckily I want planning on having that one. Just aswel as feel a little fragile this morning made even more uncomfortable by standing on the platform for half hour. Snow flurries aswell.

A real Fubar at Redhill this morning.

An earlier signalling problem affected the earlier Tonbridge to LBG service. Over running engineering works affecting services on the Arun valley (think that we're diverting them via Hove). Also other services running late, one due to short formation of the Thameslink service which then got delayed at Gatwick due to passenger altercation. The next service to arrive was short formation then ours arrived very late and stopped in a different place in the platform so we were just about last on but luckily did get seat ( no doubt quieter due to no one along the Arun Valley being able to catch this train) although not together.

Now just hoping ours doesn't get terminated at East Croydon.

UPDATE

over 20 late into LBG

Edited by roundhouse