The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps ERs are the model railway version of the Groundhog Day film.

What was it they said in that Voyager episode? Tempus fugit... :D

Morning all - just about getting light outside and about 14°. Think I've been rather quick with my agenda, so will have to see whether there may be any items left for today!

Have a nice day all!

Morning all. 7.9 oktas here and a distinctly threatening 7.9 oktas they look. In fact they couldn't be much more threatening if they were carrying knives or wearing Morris Dance costumes.

Despite not spending much time in the office this week, it's felt a long, hard week. Mostly because I've not been feeling well, have had a throat infection which has just left me zapped.

Time for a cup of tea and breakfast then off to work.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Plenty of oktas present with evidence of leakage. Not a good start to the day, the espresso machine has died! No double espresso to start the day means a very grumpy me. :angry: That's another thing on the list for the weekend along with the broken vacuum cleaner and the bathroom blind. Pah, when's a chap supposed to get any modelling done?

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

I've got a theory about the rain here - it waits until Mrs 45156 goes out, then it lets loose with heavy rain. It happened again this morning.

Had an early start yesterday for my A*az*n parcel which was scehduled for 07.30 to 17.30. At 17.29 I was opening the City Link website to get the tracking number and phone no when a van drew up - well at least he was in delivery estimate - just, unlike DD's fridge (but DD don't you live in the wilds somewhere, so that there's lots of opportunity for the driver to get lost?)

Not a lot to report today.

Regards

Stewart

Yes, that's true, Stu - we usually get a 'phone call asking "Where are you". *

However, they know the postcode before they set off and there are these new British Inventions called maps.

Not even had the 'phone call yet.

I'll give them an hour or so and then I'll send the message to wait for it at Rhuddlan - floating by in the River Clwyd.

*We also get a large number of drivers at the front door looking for somewhere else.

• RMweb Premium

However, they know the postcode before they set off and there are these new British Inventions called maps.

Yes DD see my comments on the new(ish) grumpy thread for my thoughts on modern technology - no doubt your address is one which is in quite a large postcode area, so that the modern navigation devices are defeated - and of course these days, if you own a satnav, you don't need a map - NOT. I had a delivery not so long ago when the delivery men had their infallible machine in the van, and after delivering to me, had to go to a farm address outside the village, and their machine would only direct them to the primary building on the postcode, so they asked directions of me, and I asked them to get their map from the van, and I'd show them - needless to say, no map so I dug out my OS 2.5 inch sheet and copied it on my scanner, and marked the route from where the satnav took them - end result, next person got their delivery with no where are you call, but honestly, no map :huh: :angry: :unsure:

I obviously don't know how difficult you are to find DD - but having been a weekend delivery driver during my time at Uni I can safely say that some places are horrendous to find! This was before the days of SatNav. The best thing that I ever got hold of was a highly detailed atlas of the whole county (Kent). That way, I could be reasonably sure that there was a good chance of finding somewhere. The address (made up) might be something like:

3 Bramble Cottages,

Hogsback Lane,

Cranbrook

The postcode was of no use, and the Cranbrook postcode was a huge area, which extended far out from the town itself. Local knowledge was great, as were Post Offices and village shops which could usually be relied upon to help if you couldn't find somewhere. Mobile phones were uncommon at the time, and so you had to find a callbox to phone the customer - but I tried to avoid doing that as I was delivering flowers and didn't want to spoil the surprise.

I remember one particular Christmas Eve when I had to deliver flowers to a "village" called Wychling (or Wichling on some maps). The village itself was a plague village - and as such all but died out. The church is all that remains of the original centre. Wychling consists of a few scattered houses spread out over a fairly large area and connected by a network of lanes. I ended up knocking on the door of one to locate the address I was looking for. The old couple who answered the door couldn't have been more nice (or helpful) and I was even invited in for a Christmas drink. Unfortunately, I had to decline as I still had flowers to get to their destination - and it was already dark, and a freezing fog was descending - not good for flowers!

Happy days... :)

"3 Bramble Cottages,

Hogsback Lane,

Cranbrook"

Ah! Yes.

Rebecca lives there with her TV Producer Husband.

Just achieved her Masters in something I don't understand.

Keeps chickens.

Good looking woman.

I can do the next delivery for you.

Guess what!

'Phone call received and men duly arrived in a huge wagon TO COLLECT A THREE PIECE SUITE.

I told them it was a 'King Fridge.

IT'S GONE!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

I'm tidying up today so the state of the weather, dull, damp isn't doing too much to help or hinder me at present. I'll have a first attempt at tidying, do some cooking, and then really clean the house. Then my wife will come home and help me by finding the bits I've missed. I may be out when she gets back from work as I've volunteered to help load the van for our club's trip to Horsham this weekend. I won't be exhibiting this weekend but as I live near the loading point I can do something to help.

I spent yesterday helping neighbours set up their new PC. When I've connected Sony's to the internet cable they just connect. The Acer didn't and I had to find a setting to alter. I suppose each OEM version of Windows 7 is slightly different perhaps. Anyway all (PC and old printer) was working by dinnertime.

I suppose I'd better get on with the cooking now. I only turned on the PC to see if my wife had any additional suggestions for me.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

"Did you wave it goodbye or crack open the champagne after it left the building? "

Not exactly.

The postman has since been and brought me an invoice for TWO Fridge/Freezers.

The telephone line has melted.

Perhaps you should ask for a refund on the three piece suite while you are on the line.

• RMweb Premium

Two level crossing accidents occurred this morning in Lower Saxony. The first involved a lorry which the police presume was attempting to dodge the half-barriers. Twelve passengers and the train driver were injured in the incident. Two hours later and elsewhere in the state, a 58-year-old motorist in his car was crossing the tracks in spite of the warning lights being lit, and was hit by an approaching train. He suffered severe injuries and later died at the hospital.

Glad to hear the fridge has been resolved, Mr Shifter......:D

Could have sent you one of my Mum's...or a three piece suite...or a couple of wardrobes....;)

Got into one of those wonderful Catch 22's today. Got locked out of one of my accounts, so rang the customer support team. Haven't used this account for about a year so only had a rough idea what was in there. Kept failing the security question about the balance in my account. How could I know? I was locked out.....

Now got to go down to the branch with my passport to prove who I am. :angry: :D :D

The machines are taking over....meanwhile the bonuses get bigger.