The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I follow the Industrial Railway Society page on Yahoo. They do often come up with some real gems and this morning someone mentioned that there was a Railway on Gibraltar. It only came to notice because a van and a couple of wagons were found in an abandoned shed. No mention of the gauge but it looks to be between 2' 6" and 3' 6".

I spent 2 years in Gibraltar and knew nothing of it. I wonder if it is this one with a very interesting history

http://www.andalucia.com/ronda/hendersons-railway-gibraltar-connection.htm

• Like 4

Agree 100% Pete.

Also - the guy who wrote about the Andalucia line needs to be instructed in the art of preçis, does he not?

Sorry - the woman who wrote it.

Edited by Smiffy2

Hi all

Just about surfacing properly from last bout of chemo.

Great news about Jock's grand-daughter.

Watched yesterday's Wales-Scotland game and wowee! what a fantastic match, really enjoyable (wrong result for me, of course) and Scotland deserve to win something very soon rather than being at the bottom of the table.

Just watching the Italy-England match - think ITV should have an Italian or non-English person in the studio for post-match analysis.

Any ERs planning to be at ModelRail Scotland on Saturday 27th?

Some sunshine here, but chilly, and evenings getting longer, hurrah!

Mal

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The thing with chiropractic is that it seems to be reliant on getting the right practitioner.  Some years ago a sports injury bloke could do little for my back but the first chiropractor I encountered (with considerable scepticism on my part but urged on by Mrs Stationmaster to give a go) worked wonders.  

Unfortunately he moved to Melksham and the guy he worked with amalgamted his practice with another - to whom I went because of who I had been with previously.  The new guy treats the UK Rowing Team, was part of the medical support team at the London Olympics, and even did a couple of seasons on F1 drivers but clearly his talents lie with highly tuned sporting bodies and not ageing 'ordinary' people so I gave it up as a bad job.  Duly persuaded back to try the other chap in the practice and it was a revelation - this one can sort my back and neck in a matter of minutes and is well worth the money so I've stuck with him.  A couple of years ago I 'put my back out' while pointing some paving and could hardly stand up straight - two sessions and it was sorted.

So mixed experience and it is necessary to get the right one but when you do it is really worth it.

• RMweb Gold

So mixed experience and it is necessary to get the right one but when you do it is really worth it.

I think that whatever chiropractors do to backs and other skeletal bits may have some benefits however the kind of claims that were made on its behalf led to the Simon Singh libel case some years ago. Thanks to Simon we can now at least express our opinions on such matters.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Chuffed now although to be fair, driving on a Sunday isn't too bad. Empty streets are especially nice to go gallivanting about with a tram!

dsc008912jsnt.jpg

From my big camera, here's 1131 at the inspection spot at Lößnig (where we usually do our standard terminus walkaround to check for damage or littering), though at Lößnig, you can also do that at the arrival platform which you can see in the background beyond the level crossing.

dsc00894rzsps.jpg

And this is the usual reversing point on Kurt-Schumacher-Straße where Line 10 turns around on Sunday and bank holiday mornings and in night time traffic – Line 10 also working the southern part of its path on weekend nights.

dsc00895dksdh.jpg

Broadside view of the door side to illustrate the elaborate advertising.

dsc008983hsln.jpg

1203 "Dresden" was my ride for the second half and is seen here at Father Aurelius Square in Wahren. On Sundays, the northern branch from Wahren to Schkeuditz is worked every thirty minutes only, so that every second turn reverses at Wahren.

dsc00900oas88.jpg

And as the sun was beginning to set, the Extra Large Tram is sitting in the loop at Markkleeberg Ost.

dsc00901cnsxx.jpg

Also note that 1203 is one of those NGT12s converted to the new annular wheel noise absorbers in lieu of the original layered blade ones.

Looking forward to the exhibition specials I am going to drive tomorrow! :yes:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I spent 2 years in Gibraltar and knew nothing of it. I wonder if it is this one with a very interesting history

http://www.andalucia.com/ronda/hendersons-railway-gibraltar-connection.htm

Not that one, it was the Gibraltar Dockyard Railway, it was confined to Gibraltar and did not connect to any other line. http://www.defenceofgibraltar.com/poi/ws150-1-railway-wagon/Regretably there is very little information on the net, Apparently it used tunnels burrowed into the Rock of Gibraltar.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Nice camouflage on that tram, Dom. 

You want to be careful - someone might drive into it thinking they were racing a 747!   :jester:

If you know how to handle them, those NGT8s can well leave one with the impression of an aircraft blasting away at full throttle, as a matter of fact! :yes:

Just back from the Community First Responder course. I passed! So I'll be beck on the road soon. And Andrew know's he is just on the edge of my patch.

But I need to change out the elderly Vectra, which is exhibiting every sign of being expensive, and sticking a defib on it ain't going to help. Those following Flavio's thread will know we are both considering Yeti's.

Keep well all.

Bill

• Like 13

..... It’s no wonder that the average American thinks Global Warming a crock of Poop.

I'm not sure that has any actual influence on the climate, particularly as I've been able to convince many average Americans that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary.

• Like 5

Evening all....

Been a tough few weeks as Jackie's first husband has terminal cancer and is being treated at home by the MacMillan nurses. He's already on heavy doses of intravenous morphine and we've been expecting the dreaded phone call for days now. Poor guy is only 60 and it was Jackie's birthday was last week, so celebrations were somewhat muted. Reading ER's sadly shows we all are experiencing similar situations almost on a daily basis, but when it's 'family' it makes it so much harder...

Daughter and SiL popped in today for lunch and brought some welcome light relief. Sat and shared a few beers as Matt's team (Villa) got hammered and my team (Spurs) played out of their skins to beat Man City. Only disappointment was Leicester getting a man sent off and Arsenal winning, buy hey ho, we're still above them....:-)

Matt's company have moved offices from Dockland and halved his journey to work each morning, so he's really chuffed.

This is the view from his office window. A far cry from the dirty factories in North London where I started work.....

post-6950-0-09955500-1455479606_thumb.jpg

Apologies that I'm way out of touch with all the trials and tribulations of ER's. I do manage to pop in most days, but the thread is now so popular I find I'm often pages behind.

Jock your posts are an inspiration to us, particularly with what's going on right now. Two of our friends have come through cancer and are now in great shape thanks to the wonders of medical science, so it can be done. Rest assured we're rooting for you every day....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

A relaxing day but managed to get a lot done.

Mal - I hope that the last round of chemo therapy didn't hit you too hard. The Scotland rugby supporters have my sympathy. They do deserve a win. The style of play, tenacity and fitness showed yesterday. I have to agree with the post-match analysis. It was only slightly biased.

Phil - I've had a look at my Gibraltar tunnel map and can see where it would have run. However, there was no sign of it that I can remember when I was there.

Back to central London commuting tomorrow which I won't enjoy.

Night all

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A relaxing day but managed to get a lot done.

Mal - I hope that the last round of chemo therapy didn't hit you too hard. The Scotland rugby supporters have my sympathy. They do deserve a win. The style of play, tenacity and fitness showed yesterday. I have to agree with the post-match analysis. It was only slightly biased.

Phil - I've had a look at my Gibraltar tunnel map and can see where it would have run. However, there was no sign of it that I can remember when I was there.

Back to central London commuting tomorrow which I won't enjoy.

Night all

The tunnel and railway was built originally for the transfer of stone from quarries on the east side of the rock to the west side for the construction of dry docks. The tunnel was used during WW2 as a naval command centre. Its the only east/west tunnel on the rock, it is named Admiralty Tunnel. The line was metre gauge and was built in 1893. There are photographs showing rails in the dockyard serving storehouses but when it was closed I don't know but it seems likely that the tunnel closed earlier than the rest of the system.

Edited by PhilJ W

Evening all. I hope that today finds you well. I have had to dip in and out over the last few days. Things remain a bit mixed up at present. I am still not sure I can share the details of the family issues just yet.

At least things are ok in the immediate home. I took Sarah out for a meal last night. It was a joint Valentines and beginning of half term celebration. A very nice evening in a local a la carte restaurant. It was an enjoyable and much needed time spent together.

Today I was expecting a lie in but got a call to say a couple of lads had dropped out of the football team for this morning's game. It meant I had to drag myself over and play my first game in two months. The dodgy Achilles did not give me any problems during the game, but now I ache all over. I think the body is telling me it is time to retire! Still at least we won the game and I scored!

Sarah has planned a shopping trip tomorrow. Hopefully I can find some time for some modelling.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. It's been a bright and sunny Sunday, and we've done absolutely nothing, we've never even unlocked to front door. Both Sheila and I exchanged cards and gifts this morning and then after breakfast in bed, we spent the rest of the day reading. This afternoon I also posted my first blog too! After which I also ordered some more roses for the back garden, so when they arrive, hopefully on Tuesday, I'll putting them straight in the back garden!

Tomorrow I'm having my eyes tested, whilst Sheila will be going to have her routine breast cancer mammogram done! She's not looking forward to it but now she it for the best!

Mal. I hope your last chemo wasn't too awful. I found that my first dose was the worst, I suppose it was a shock to the bodies immune system. After that, all my subsequent doses weren't quite as bad.

Jock. Congratulations to your blonde bombshell, here's hoping she gets the right results in August.

Andy. Congrats on scoring AND winning. All I'll say now is listen to your body!

Gordon s. You're right about it being so much harder when it's family.

Pete (trisonic). Nice to see you back.

Goodnight all

• Like 12