The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all,

Feeling very tired tonight, so who knows, some sleep may ensue......... Poor Joanna has had a nasty cold/infection since the weekend which has been adding to the sleep deprivation for both of us. To Colchester general in the morning at the end of the first trial fortnight on the new chemo drug - I haven't noticed any excessive side effects from the current dose, and subject to Monday's bloods being OK, I'm hoping to be put on the next strength. I really want to hurt this thing!! The oncologist has made me record my blood pressure twice daily throughout and luckily it seems to be well within limits. Because I'm still on lots of morphine for the other problems, I can't drive us there and so Joanna is going to take us even though such driving is well out of her comfort zone these days, I'll try to stay fit enough to treat her to a nice lunch on the way home. Everyone is pulling for me here which really does choke me! I will obviously report back results tomorrow at some time.

Chris, I hope your trip goes as planned without undue interference from the weather.

Ian(RH), it sounds like you have had a great result on the flight bookings - seems harder to sort out a train journey in the UK! I was sad to read of your treatment by the Premier organisation - when these large companies switch to computerised automatic systems, they always lose the important personal touch. It's getting harder to talk to a human these days.

John(CB), I hope all the dog news is positive, and that they have managed to stop the symptoms for you at least?

Simon, sorry to hear about the bug you've got - as I mentioned earlier, Joanna has been really rough with it, as have several family members. Hope it clears up soon.

Mike(SM), I had no idea that you were such a 'film buff' but that was a very nice 'critique' of the 'Dad's Army' film thank you. I was lucky enough to meet the bulk of the old TV show cast years ago - when Jock senior decided to site his caravan permanently, he chose 'The Dower House' site near East Harling in the Thetford Forest (owned by one of his old motorcycle trade colleagues!). We used to visit fairly often, and happened to be in the nearby watering hole, 'The Nag's Head' at East Harling, when the cast came in for food and drink after a day's filming in Norfolk. What a pleasant bunch of people they were, and it wasn't long before Jock Senior and Mr Le Mesurier were diminishing the spirit stocks behind the bar! I'm now pondering when to try to watch the new film soon (I can't sit for any length of time so it would have to be at home somehow.), lest I forget all the information you have kindly provided!

Baz, I hope the club room situation is resolved quickly - I wondered if you have come across lots of 'useful stuff' whilst clearing out? I normally do if I clear out a bedroom at home.

Brian(BSW01), a real benefit of running a thread is the input you will get from lots of 'followers'. You will possibly also get some unwelcome adverse input from the rivet counting nuisances but you can filter and ignore that! Whatever you decide to do, please let us know where to find it.

Thinking of those who have issues, like Mal completing his latest treatment, and Sherry's lass Caroline - continued improvement would be nice! Hope the rest of the week is trouble free (another one flown by!!)

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all! (Including Pete if he looks in).

Morning Jock, As I've said before, Dee and I will be thinking of you and Joanna today as always mate.

• RMweb Gold

Morning

I certainly feel like I had a few beers last night but no headache.

trains Ok this morning although I did see something unusual. It appeared that the Gatwick to Reading service started at Redhill so passengers from Gatwick would have to use either the VIC or Thameslink service..

They held the Reading train  for a few minutes after arrival of the Thameslink despite having the green signal to depart. Not seen that for a long time!!

Very frosty this morning but it was good to see the sun rising as we crossed over the M25. The lighter mornings is definitelt getting more noticeable at the moment.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

Freezing temperatures here this morning but sunny and clear. So clear we can see all the hills in Mayo 25 km away and they are all covered in snow.

High tide this morning but recent storms have pushed the dunes so far back that we can still walk the full length of the beach. We haven't been able to do that on high tides in the last fifteen years.

Hope all goes well today Jock.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I will amend my "slightly frosty" comment earlier to very frosty. Temp is now up to 1oC but  car was completely iced up and later when we finished shopping we had to rescue a lady who'd gone flying on an icy patch on Sainsbury's car park upper level. She was left in the tender care of their first aider and I advised the duty manager he needed to get some more salt down up there. There was some but nowhere near enough. It's not the first time it's happened - Chris did the same thing last year.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny but cold Estuary-Land. Hope things go well for you today Jock. CM could it be that doggy knows best and that oily fish like salmon is better for arthritic/skeletal conditions, perhaps try giving her mackeral or tuna? Smiffy, sympathies with the cold. Richard, be careful not to squander those hard earned brownie points. Now to get out and enjoy the sunshine, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Special thoughts to Jock.

Today (which is drawing to a darkened close here) went as well as could be expected when one is unable to run a train service in peak hours.  Most of the regulars had endured the morning peak and were resigned to the evening being the same in reverse.  It was almost that.  We persuaded the engineering folk to partially lift their possession and permit six trains over a 90-minute period to run through.  Those would have been hand-signalled at caution wrong-road and stopping at platforms on the wrong side at several stations as well.  No return service was possible; the down trains would run to berthing at the end of the line.  In that time twelve trains would normally have run through each way.  A fleet of 26 buses was also in use.

Arrived home, made a quick meal of fresh ravioli and sauce, located the cat and logged on.  And that was Thor's Day.  Tomorrow we celebrate bacon and eggs - hence Fry Day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Hope all goes well for Jock.

Lovely fairly hard frost this morning gradually giving way to wetness as the sun - yes, sun - does its job.  the G word has of course been mentioned and I really do need to do some shrub 'trimming' with my very long handled saw.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

So 

car delivered for MoT and Service - 2 new tyres and some brake pads required. Drivers today in Leeds ... have any of them passed their test?  Joe Baxi drivers are even worse (if you visist Leeds and order a private hire (joe baxi) be aware that those with company names starting in A or U may drive erratically!)

Ears lowered (haircut) - and was given OAPs rate.. I did explain I wasn't one but.... So I walked home - and enjoyed teh walk in a sunny if frosty leeds morning.

Off to see my new Sister Nurse Drac  this afternoon.

Baz

• Like 14

Does that one have a model number or anything?  I presume that's the one that works properly with the Lenz base unit?  I'm after a cheapie extra controller and not impressed with the LH01.  Warren has PM'd too!

Check out E-Bay. I found a complete system, handset, control box and transformer for £110 inc P& P. The seller was a German shop and on looking at their site, I bought a second handset for £70 plus £ 15 P & P.

• Like 3

I will amend my "slightly frosty" comment earlier to very frosty. Temp is now up to 1oC but  car was completely iced up and later when we finished shopping we had to rescue a lady who'd gone flying on an icy patch on Sainsbury's car park upper level. She was left in the tender care of their first aider and I advised the duty manager he needed to get some more salt down up there. There was some but nowhere near enough. It's not the first time it's happened - Chris did the same thing last year.

As I recall they used to close the upper level in icy weather, or at least the travelator. But that was before they rebuilt it.

Guys,

ALLY PALLY 19 March

We usually have an ER meeting on the Saturday.  I'm on the South Western Circle stand (may be incorporated in the Irwell Press stand).  How about a meet at 11:45am, and we can decide whether we wish to partake of alcoholic refreshment.

Bill

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

ALLY PALLY 19 March

We usually have an ER meeting on the Saturday.  I'm on the South Western Circle stand (may be incorporated in the Irwell Press stand).  How about a meet at 11:45am, and we can decide whether we wish to partake of alcoholic refreshment.

Bill

This year will be my first time that I wont have been there for many years.

Greetings all, the early frost has long since disappeared and the sun is out in blue skies.

I've remembered I need to buy a replacement lawnmower for the one that have up the ghost halfway through a mow last year.

SE managed to delay the train again - although there was no repeat of the nastiness at Hither Green the driver did apologise that the same unit on the same train had developed the same fault at the same station - defective door. They did at lest have the wit to skip St Johns and New Cross which meant the delays were limited to only 15 minutes.

Thoughts with Jock - let's hope he continues to be able to give the disease a good kicking.

And great pictures from Dave. Not sure pictures of my walk down the hill to the station would lift the spirit in quite the same way!

• Like 1

BIN day and again I'm out-of-town so that duty will fall to the Mrs.

Hope Jock is getting some relief today.

Total non-events to report from here again, being on Long Island in winter has to be one of the most BORING locations on the planet - not that'd I'd be out partying no matyer what the season I guess <sigh>

Took one step BACKWARDS yesterday with my client system access. I can no longer even connect via their VPN (check last night from the hotel on a hunch!), so after I leave today I'll be getting paid for literally doing NOTHING, if they don't get my access solved. Explained that to the cockwomble project manager and the client IT staff so they understand why they will be billed yet see no additional progress after today, until they sort the access out!  :jester:

WIll also essentially POE today as I have a plane to catch around 4:30 to get me home :)

In NY/Long Island terms, "bitterly cold" here this morning at -4 and partly sunny driving in! Expected high -2 with possibility of snow this afternoon, just so long as it waits until I'm out of JFK, please.

To enjoy your day and NOT be smothered by doom and gloom, avoid, LIKE THE PLAGUE, the Hornby Profit and PECO track threads! :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 13

I've got this rather nice radio-controlled weather station I bought from LIDL a couple of years ago. The only problem with it is that I lose the settings when I have to change the battery. I've mislaid the instructions, as one does, and with multi-purpose buttons to push in different combinations to reset, getting everything right is largely a matter of luck. At the moment, everything's as it should be, apart from the day of the week - which is in German - so I've decided to leave well enough alone.

So -

Ich wünsche allen einen schönen Donnerstag Nachmittag!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got this rather nice radio-controlled weather station I bought from LIDL a couple of years ago. The only problem with it is that I lose the settings when I have to change the battery. I've mislaid the instructions, as one does, and with multi-purpose buttons to push in different combinations to reset, getting everything right is largely a matter of luck. At the moment, everything's as it should be, apart from the day of the week - which is in German - so I've decided to leave well enough alone.

So -

Ich wünsche allen einen schönen Donnerstag Nachmittag!

Is it this one?

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-35F5D087-40BAC9D7/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=7928307&title=ESTACIÓN%20METEOROLÓGICA%20INALÁMBRICA

Scroll down to English instructions. I couldn't just attach the pdf I was over the RMWeb file limit slightly.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Sun and showers. I prefer the former.  :D

Getting back on my feet.  I've not been on since my lost post as my eyes were all gunked up and I could hardly see.  Ratings and comments much appreciated, thanks.

Mike, it's a darn shame when life is made difficult for others, particularly when it comes to experienced volunteers.  Ted Abear doesn't sound the sort of person you'd want to lose but I've seen it happen all too often!  I love his book, anyway.  :good:

Neil.  Ah, steam!  We have a shunting puzzle at Joys of Life on Saturday.  Ah, but that will be with the electric but someone will no doubt be running steam.  I'm just waiting to see if I'll have the oompf to get out of the house. 

Hmmm, apologies to all for the confusion over DD.  I'll put 'dd' next time!  She is a darling though.

Time to put kettle on - someone's back from the shed!

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

ALLY PALLY 19 March

We usually have an ER meeting on the Saturday. I'm on the South Western Circle stand (may be incorporated in the Irwell Press stand). How about a meet at 11:45am, and we can decide whether we wish to partake of alcoholic refreshment.

Bill

I have a ticket. I would probably prefer Saturday for travel options but have had to go on Sundays due to family visits occasionally. So all being well I will be there on the Saturday. I must have been particularly dim on the day I ordered the ticket, it seemed to take me ages to retrieve my password, account number, get a £ off etc.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon

Back from town and it was great to meet up with a fellow RMWebber - Jamie - who was in town sorting out the arrangements for bringing Green Ayre across in May and getting some measurements of Skerton Bridge so that the model comes out just like the real thing.. 

Frosty start this morning, so I was, for once, pleased to be taking the bus, as the car was under a thick coating of rime. 

This is a fleeting visit (again) as I have to get Lily to the vet's (again) and it's generic greetings (again) - though a special good wish to Jock for the visit to the oncologist - I see that you're lurking at the mo, so I guess you're back from the hospital, unless they allow RMWebbing there.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15