The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My mind boggles as to how and where you experienced hitting a frozen Turkey at 60mph such that you can compare. Then again this is DD...

Cheers

Dave

It sounds like something Raymond Baxter would have shown on "Tomorrow's World".

My mind boggles as to how and where you experienced hitting a frozen Turkey at 60mph such that you can compare. Then again this is DD...

Reminds me of the famous "chicken gun" used to test bird-strikes with aircraft engines. There's an urban legend that one of the engine manufacturers was troubled as to why the engines kept failing the tests - until an Engineer pointed out that the chicken should be thawed out first!

Did you cook it (the pheasant, not the Volvo)?

Hmmm - would probably make a good pheasant stew! No good roasting it - the meat would be too badly bruised.

Not sure about Volvo stew though - probably too tough. :rolleyes:

I found a "used parts" (when did they stop being scrap yards?)

About the same time the new EU rules came in, and banned the teetering piles of cars that you used to be able to climb on to retrieve parts. That was usually followed by a trip to the office (old caravan, or portacabin) where you would give the bloke a token amount and disappear with your parts.

Last time I went to the modern equivalent, everything was racked out and the parts were little cheaper than they would have been new :angry:

"My mind boggles as to how and where you experienced hitting a frozen Turkey at 60mph"

Well, to be honest, I've never hit a turkey.

However, I have hit pheasants (difficult not to around here - they are suicidal) and one or two of them have been chilled out.

To add to our General Knowledge: If you kill something edible on the road, it is classed as poaching if you then cook it and consume it.

However ... if you are in the car behind it is Roadkill.

So I'm told. Personally, I use a Supermarket.

• RMweb Gold

To add to our General Knowledge: If you kill something edible on the road, it is classed as poaching if you then cook it and consume it.

However ... if you are in the car behind it is Roadkill.

So I'm told. Personally, I use a Supermarket.

I don't think a supermarket stocked anything to cope with the dead skunk I ran over in the US last year.

• RMweb Gold

That's a sure sign autumn has arrived, in case you didn't know :D .

My parents used to live next door to a junior school and being bombarded by footballs was a year round occurrence!

When I was at secondary school, football games on the "playground" were forbidden, ostensibly due to the large amount of glass (this was the 1970s) in the building but probably because the only round ball game approved of was cricket. A large sock stuffed with other socks seemed to be allowed but being hit with a soggy stuffed sock wasn't that pleasant either.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if any of you should be eating while reading this... :blink:

Just read that a suburban train has run into a flock of sheep which had run away and moved onto the rail line between Offenbach and Heusenstamm, southeast of Frankfurt. Around twenty-five of them were killed and the line remains closed for the time being.

• RMweb Premium

An additional press release which I just read provided some additional details. Apparently, a shepherd had been driving his flock of several hundred sheep across a level crossing. When the gates closed due to an approaching train, twenty-five sheep were trapped on the tracks. Train operation is now being resumed at a reduced level.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if any of you should be eating while reading this... :blink:

Just read that a suburban train has run into a flock of sheep which had run away and moved onto the rail line between Offenbach and Heusenstamm, southeast of Frankfurt. Around twenty-five of them were killed and the line remains closed for the time being.

Are you sure it was Offenbach and not Offal-baaaa?

Dear oh dear! I bet that was a mess.

I seem to remember reading in the "Footplate Howlers" thread something similar from one of our members - that involved a vacuum braked freight with a Class 40 up front and a flock of sheep in a cutting. I think he was doing 90mph when he saw them and, after an emergency brake application, hit them at about 85. (The 40 wasn't renowned for its stopping power.) The rest is history (as were many of the sheep)

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember reading in the "Footplate Howlers" thread something similar from one of our members - that involved a vacuum braked freight with a Class 40 up front and a flock of sheep in a cutting. I think he was doing 90mph when he saw them and, after an emergency brake application, hit them at about 85. (The 40 wasn't renowned for its stopping power.) The rest is history (as were many of the sheep)

That must have been seriously messy, too... :blink:

Having checked back, the level crossing near Heusenstamm actually has half-barriers only. However, I would surmise the sheep to have been confused and frightened when these closed, so that they could not clear the tracks in time.