The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from a very damp Croydon.

It was Smiffys post that informed me of the loss of Sir Terry Wogan. Yet another loss for 2016. RIP.

A bit of work planned for today in the hope of obtaining yet another big project. Not for myself but for someone I do a lot of work for and who I'll be going on the books for soon.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, first post went to oblivion I too had a furball sat on my lap, they woke me up in time to wake Karen and tell her the tennis was on. Still getting better so back to work Monday. Wet and windy outside so cleaning and tidying is next maybe modelling this afternoon. Have a good day and leave toxic threads alone.

• Like 14

I'm sat here listening to the tennis. Don't commentators realise that by saying such things as;

Murray is now stretching Djokovic

Murray is buckling Djokovic

etc etc

they are probably giving Murray the kiss of death. Of course I realise that by putting the tennis on I have done the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

it better bloody include scale turds in the middle of the 4ft. that were present on a large amount of the network during the steam era, OTHERSWISE, it won't be realistic enough for me.  sez Ian.

I totally agree!

Running a garden railway, I have on occasion found that one of my four legged friends has decided to dump the contents of their ashpan into the 'two foot' (it's a narrow gauge line).

But only after the train has come to an abrupt, messy and rather aromatically odious halt.

It is really annoying, as these deposits are never to scale, and completely destroy any vestige of reality that the railway hopes to portray.

What is even more annoying is that the South Horton Irrigation Tramway was built to serve a sewage works!

As our  foreman (ex Lcpl) Buckle says:

'The SH*T stinks, but it keeps on running!'

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Tennis?  What tennis???

Good to hear something a little better from Jock.  Good to have even a passing reference from Debs at Colliesville.  Good to have The X-Files back on our screens - dunno 'bout yours.  Good to be able to record three good things in ERs.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Massive catch up just gone on and I'm not sure where yesterday went although various meals and shopping seem to have occupied some of it, and sorry about belated birthday congrats to Duncan and Miss NB.  Proper job 'breakfast' fast coming up over the horizon locally and one ungrateful cat duly fed - one sniff at his bowl and he was back by the cooker begging.  

Off to pour the tea - have a  good day one and all and those links don't seem to now work Dom.

PS The Brunigbahn - which is now the Zentralbahn but much altered especially near Luzern - was the first n.g. line I travelled over in Switzerland although it has obviously changed enormously with the 1940s built motor vans and locos replaced by emus.  Sadly it looks as if it has lot some of its old atmosphere but still a lovely route to travel.

Here are a couple of views, at Hergiswil (my overnight base on that trip) of the traction as it was on my second visit to the line during my 'grand tour' in 2003 plus the Integra control panel at Meiringen (where the train reverses, change for the tram to the Reichenbach Falls)

post-6859-0-85884500-1454239941_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-17115700-1454239950_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-58322400-1454239963_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Yet another celeb gone and the first month of 2016 isn't over yet. Not much to do today except getting the newspaper and a few essentials.

At this price it's starting to fall into the 'persuadable' category from the financial controller.

http://printm3d.com/themicro/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=FB3

I understand that Humbrol are going to market a 3D printer. Are we going to see downloadable 3D models such as we have downloadable card structures I wonder?

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Raining here. Forecast to stop this afternoon. We will then drag the old bed out to the front garden for the council to collect tomorrow morning. Hopefully gravity will be our friend down the stairs. However my neighbour is on standby. We had a nice chat yesterday looking at his latest eBay purchase, an ancient Fiat 500 he bought from someone in Rimini. I did ask if it had been a Saturday evening purchase.

Fortunately I don't know enough to get involved in discussions about track.

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I agree that just from watching the video, the Brünig Line crosses a rather agreeable corner of this world.

As for the new EMUs introduced by Zentralbahn in recent years, I continue to notice how Stadler seem to have a penchant for whimsical acronyms, with the ABeh 150  (formed of two back-to-back three-car semi-sets augmented by one unpowered buffet car in between) and ABeh 160 (three-car sets) designated ADLER and FINK – literally meaning "eagle" and "finch" but actually written out as "Alpiner dynamischer leichter eleganter Reisezug" and "Flinke innovative Niederflur-Komposition" respectively and translated as "Alpine dynamic light elegant passenger train" and "Swift innovative low floor unit" respectively.

The earlier ABe 4/8 units obtained in 2004 and 2005, not outfitted for rack-and-pinion operation, had been designated "SPATZ", literally translating as "sparrow" but in fact meaning, "Schmalspur-Panorama-Triebzug", or "narrow gauge panoramic unit."

• RMweb Premium

Having come back to the hobby about 13 years ago I always felt that Peco track was an improvement on the Triang Super 4 that I'd previously used.

But good news. Overnight I time-traveled forward to 2020 on your behalf and read the Peco press release for new products.

I'm pleased to share it with you now:

"Having taken on board the opinions of our most vocal  customers we are pleased to announce the most realistic track ever

All R1, R2, R3 track will be removed from circulation as unrealistic, and therefore, not good enough for you. 

Our new track will be something like R9,R10,R11. We'll give you conversion charts to show you how your toy train set track relates to reality where engineers use "chains". 

You probably won't have room for any points, so don't ask if we're going to make any - that'd be pointless. 

For those of our, somewhat, diminished customer base who are lucky enough to have a field to dedicate to their roundy-roundy toy train set layout we can say, hand on heart, that our new track will be perfect. 

We've weathered the track for you to save you modelling anything for yourselves. We've done all the hard work, up-skilling our own staff who paint every sleeper individually, and reducing your involvement in the hobby to an ability to use PayPal and to be at home to take delivery.

We apologise in advance if, lacking a field to house your layout, you find a length of straight track to be somewhat limited in operational potential, but we only followed what you implicitly asked for.

Sadly all this comes at a cost and we've had to increase the cost of track by 10p per yard compared to our 2016 price. You may wish to debate this price rise and you may well notice a slight discrepancy with the RPI. Forgive us, we only wanted to try and recoup some of our investment in wading through 400 pages of froth to distill what you really said you wanted."

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The divan and mattress are now downstairs. Thanks to our friend gravity the divan part went down a lot quicker than planned. Fortunately we don't have a glass panel next to our front door, It is a substantial wall with a small window. The bottom of the stairs is one of Robbie's favourite lurking spots but I had already banished him to the lounge. I suspect he would have moved though.

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Now back to reality (???) Breakfast today included a slice of black pudding from The Bury Black Pudding Company; which delicacy we purchased in Waitrose recently.  It is described as 'low fat' and it really is (for black pudding) and today we came across it on the shelves in Tesco.  It isn't cheap - especially compared with the black pudding produced by various butchers in our part of the country but it is very nice - and of course it is also especially healthy black pudding as it is 'low fat'

And according to the media black pudding is the new super food

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/black-pudding-is-a-new-superfood-kale-pomegranate-blueberries-a6799236.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3384724/2016-s-new-superfood-Black-pudding-Breakfast-staple-loaded-protein-iron-potassium-set-fly-shelves.html#ixzz3wSVaQUYQ

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12084725/Black-pudding-hailed-as-a-superfood.html

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/10/black-pudding-superfood-healthy

Now with that cross section of recommendations it really must be true that it is super food  :jester:

• Like 9

May I ask a Modlyn Q? (Sorry, Debs - I would have asked this in the painting section but the answers there tend to be - shall we say, unhelpful. Along the lines of 'buy a new airbrush, mine cost £200', or 'I don't use an airbrush and here's some pictures'...)

I'm getting a clogged airbrush using Vallejo Air paint, which used to be fine. I'm also getting spatter, so I'm planning to fit a new nozzle (new needle last week after the bent tip incident) and upping the pressure to about 15psi. Am I likely to be going in the right direction?

• RMweb Premium

Nah, black pudding or similar such concoctions aren't even remotely up my street. The smell alone when Grandma made herself some...yeuch.

But her home made marrow dumplings were something to die for, with some freshly ground nutmeg and chopped parsley...

• Like 5

Aft'noon all,

Best wishes to all that ail.

We have had a resident wren in the garden for the last few days.....this poor quality picture taken from the window sums up the weather just now with the wren using the dead hydrangea head as an umbrella....

post-7795-0-01306000-1454252604.jpg

Good forecast for the North Wales area tomorrow so we'll be chasing sunshine again pre the start of Is's radiotherapy....we have friends who lost their old dog last week so we'll be taking them along too, to help brighten their day with a pub lunch and some nice scenery.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

May I ask a Modlyn Q? (Sorry, Debs - I would have asked this in the painting section but the answers there tend to be - shall we say, unhelpful. Along the lines of 'buy a new airbrush, mine cost £200', or 'I don't use an airbrush and here's some pictures'...)

I'm getting a clogged airbrush using Vallejo Air paint, which used to be fine. I'm also getting spatter, so I'm planning to fit a new nozzle (new needle last week after the bent tip incident) and upping the pressure to about 15psi. Am I likely to be going in the right direction?

Dick - this might sound silly but are you sure the airbrush is absolutely clean and that there are no problems with the needle setting?